Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Im the poorly maintained road infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
i'm the cancer-causing microplastics in the water

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8539085/bank-of-canada-interest-rate-decision-2/

Bank of Canada holds interest rates amid surging inflation

The Bank of Canada kept its trendsetting interest rate at rock-bottom levels on Wednesday, holding off on planned increases aimed at controlling surging inflation.

The central banks overnight rate remains at 0.25 per cent, a rate it adopted in a drastic drop in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic.

They chickened out LMAO

how come banks still need emergency covid support. covid is over it's time to get back to work. if I am expected to manage without any CERB than surely billionaires can sort their poo poo out

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1486357229230080001?t=307qeG3NDdBoyZ7RGfZ2Tw&s=19

Cool cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypothetically, why even have a country?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that first sentence is a bit of a stretch though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

hypothetically, why even have a country?

im personally opposed to canadas existence. im sure whatever native tribe this land really belongs to would charge me less rent

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol

https://twitter.com/PremierScottMoe/status/1486427681830817792

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
how about we restart CERB in solidarity with Ukrainian nazis

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
someone should respond to that with "don't care, leave your ethnic conflicts back home. this is canada" generic dumb hockey dad response that's given to all the immigrants without powerful lobbies here

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
someone should ask why we are still part of NATO after it specifically violated terms with the Russian Federation, multiple times, which is what has created this confrontation in the first place, on top of the soviets being gone for 40 loving years

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

someone should ask why we are still part of NATO after it specifically violated terms with the Russian Federation, multiple times, which is what has created this confrontation in the first place, on top of the soviets being gone for 40 loving years

If you havent read The Price of Alliance, NATO hilariously bullies Canada. Canada bought Leopard tanks and had a Brigade in Germany because NATO was threatening to kick us out/trade fuckery in the 60s and 70s.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'd argue NATO's betrayal of Ukraine in 2014 is much greater than any betrayal of the Russian federation. Ukraine gave up their nukes in exchange for protection and NATO failed to hold up their end of the bargain over Crimea. Ukraine wanted and have been planning to join NATO for decades. Canada has been training Ukrainian officers in NATO related affairs on 'exchange programs' in Canada since the late 1990s.

e: I kind of agree that NATO should have gone away after the USSR dissolved fwiw

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:05 on Oct 29, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah thanks Global, really important that the N in Nazi is capitalized, we wouldn't want to show a lack of reverence to them or anything. The (sic) lets you know that the person saying it is wrong and stupid! :dumb:

so the NDP is making her walk back... linking an article which apparently (accurately?) describes Canada's needlessly belligerent pronouncements on Ukraine?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

should've dissolved after they killed those skiiers

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

mila kunis posted:

someone should respond to that with "don't care, leave your ethnic conflicts back home. this is canada" generic dumb hockey dad response that's given to all the immigrants without powerful lobbies here

Yeah that same sympathy is never given to Palestinians or Khalistan supporters.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i hate truckers now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

I'd argue NATO's betrayal of Ukraine in 2014 is much greater than any betrayal of the Russian federation. Ukraine gave up their nukes in exchange for protection and NATO failed to hold up their end of the bargain over Crimea. Ukraine wanted and have been planning to join NATO for decades. Canada has been training Ukrainian officers in NATO related affairs on 'exchange programs' in Canada since the late 1990s.

e: I kind of agree that NATO should have gone away after the USSR dissolved fwiw

if the american empire wanted to keep existing they would have let russia join NATO when they asked

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wait russia asked to join nato at some point?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

no but putin reportedly wanted to do it and not apply, just be accepted

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Gorbachev also technically asked Baker but it was more of a rhetorical device - If you dont exist just to gently caress with us then let us join or something along those lines.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

quote:

In 1990, while negotiating German reunification at the end of the Cold War with U.S. Secretary of State James Baker, Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev said that "You say that NATO is not directed against us, that it is simply a security structure that is adapting to new realities ... therefore, we propose to join NATO." However, Baker dismissed the possibility as a "dream".[133] During a series of interviews with filmmaker Oliver Stone, President Vladimir Putin told him that he floated the possibility of Russia joining NATO to President Bill Clinton when he visited Moscow in 2000.[134][135]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:05 on Oct 29, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It turns out the purpose of nato wasn't security or loving with Russia, the purpose was lining the pockets of Raytheon executives

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rutibex posted:

It turns out the purpose of nato wasn't security or loving with Russia, the purpose was lining the pockets of Raytheon executives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EByAEp3Dw9Q

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah thanks Global, really important that the N in Nazi is capitalized, we wouldn't want to show a lack of reverence to them or anything. The (sic) lets you know that the person saying it is wrong and stupid! :dumb:

My phone autocorrects to capital-N in nazi which I find personally offensive.

It also gives a capital g to god which is idiotic but I'm able to ignore.

Who the gently caress are these literal grammar nazis

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Oct 29, 2022

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

friendship over with Israel
Ukraine is neoliberals new best friend

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Another Bill posted:

the removal of the Berlin wall was predicated on an agreement that NATO would not advance another inch to the Russian border. That was violated, repeatedly, with the courting of Ukraine as a new member the most recent transgression, which would put US supplied and affiliated if not directly operated military units right on the goddamn border.

To say nothing of how much the CIA was involved with Euromaidan to begin with.

e: very strong case to be made that was the whole point of taking Crimea. Ukraine cant join NATO while it is partially occupied by Russian troops and not instantly trigger a NATO/Russian war, which Germany, France and a bunch of other members would absolutely not accept. France would leave I bet, maybe Germany too.

Georgia was the test case for all this, when it became clear NATO/the US was all bark and no bite currently, not willing to come to the aide of their war criminal friend whose name escapes me now and offered no response to Russian intervention in the secession crisis in South Ossetia, it also stopped the courting of Georgia by NATO which was also in the works at the time.

Ron Paul Atreides has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Jan 27, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

the removal of the Berlin wall was predicated on an agreement that NATO would not advance another inch to the Russian border. That was violated, repeatedly, with the courting of Ukraine as a new member the most recent transgression, which would put US supplied and affiliated if not directly operated military units right on the goddamn border.

To say nothing of how much the CIA was involved with Euromaidan to begin with.

e: very strong case to be made that was the whole point of taking Crimea. Ukraine can’t join NATO while it is partially occupied by Russian troops and not instantly trigger a NATO/Russian war, which Germany, France and a bunch of other members would absolutely not accept. France would leave I bet, maybe Germany too.

Georgia was the test case for all this, when it became clear NATO/the US was all bark and no bite currently, not willing to come to the aide of their war criminal friend whose name escapes me now and offered no response to Russian intervention in the secession crisis in South Ossetia, it also stopped the courting of Georgia by NATO which was also in the works at the time.

Well i forgot it was time the dumbest tankie takes. That Berlin wall take is hilarious horseshit

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
get out of c-spam if you don't like tankies dumbass.
hard to believe that russians would be afraid of getting invaded, it's only something that happens everytime a european power gets strong enough. it's like getting pissed about the Molotov- Ribbentrop pact, where after the soviet union tried unsuccessfully getting an alliance with france and great britain, and poland told them gently caress off, they managed to at least get half of poland and move the border that much further from Moscow.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Ardent Communist posted:

get out of c-spam if you don't like tankies dumbass.

nobody likes tankies

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i like tankies

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Dying in nuclear fire is fine, it's all this WAITING that im sick of.

BO-RING

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think Moldova also has a frozen conflict and Russian troop presence.

NATOs hubris is unreal, and the US is writing cheques that will be cashed in Canadian bodies according to the terms of the alliance. Its a bum deal.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well i forgot it was time the dumbest tankie takes. That Berlin wall take is hilarious horseshit

whatever you say, mother fucker. NATO has always been a tool of imperial projection and aggression, a tool to feed the US weapons manufactures capital from their dependant states. The soviets tried for peaceful coexistence multiple times, the US are the ones who tilted to confrontation repeatedly.

sign up for a paramilitary tour and go suck off some Nazis if your so excited to defend the extended empire. or just foad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

War hungry neolibs and Ukrainian nazis? In my cspam Canada thread? It's more likely than you think

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FormaldehydeSon posted:

War hungry neolibs and Ukrainian nazis? In my cspam Canada thread? It's more likely than you think

Which one of these was my argument asking for a friend

e: am I a tankie or a neolib :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Which one of these was my argument asking for a friend

e: am I a tankie or a neolib :ohdear:

didnt mean to bite your head off; its just the idea of things like a country joining NATO is treated as this neutral decision by nations just looking out for themselves but thats not the actual context. NATO is a tool of US Imperial projection and the elements of Ukraine looking to align with NATO, as in, the government of Euromaidan and their support base, are directly linked to the hard right and explicitly white supremacist factions in the country, and they have some absolutely psychotic ideas with regard to Russians. The whole project of working to get Ukraine into NATO is US aggression towards Russia, especially since the fall of the USSR means of there is no rational for NATO even existing anymore.