Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Out of curiosity, is Asuka always the person Kou wakes up next to after the behemoth fight, or is that dependent on who the third party member is when fighting the behemoth?

Without spoiling anything, Chapter 8 seems to be "Tokyo Xanadu's Greatest Hits", so yeah I'm sure it's always Asuka given the nature of what's still ahead of us. Also I don't trust the game to get THAT dynamic going into its final hurrah. A LOT of poo poo would have to change to make it all work and that's well beyond Falcom's ken if you get my drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Falcom has historically done that level of dynamic party member changing, but with your bond with Asuka as low as it is, I don't think this one is an example of that. Not in this case, at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyouni posted:

Falcom has historically done that level of dynamic party member changing, but with your bond with Asuka as low as it is, I don't think this one is an example of that. Not in this case, at least.

And like I said, Chapter 8 so far has been a soft speed run of the rest of the game up to this point, and who’s the first non-Kou party member you get?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Normal bosses don't have multiple target points, but this one does. It's just begging for a good (preferably Steel-elemental) Cross Strike or two to nail all the points at the same time and get through that armor fast. It's likely that the faster you can get to actual damage on the boss, the less damage you'll take.
- I knew something was up with Shiori after the hints in this chapter, but I wasn't really sure what specifically it was. My thoughts at the time was that it was similar to what happened to Rion. I won't say whether I was correct or not.
- I loved that twist with Shiori because I hadn't expected anything like this. This is one reason why Falcom puts so many characters into the world - it makes it much easier to hide antagonists when there's a crowd. I tend to be really, really bad at spotting the actual bad guys hidden among the characters.
- It's even more fitting that that last dungeon was called the Fortress of False Gods. It houses the false final boss.

AradoBalanga posted:

Out of curiosity, is Asuka always the person Kou wakes up next to after the behemoth fight, or is that dependent on who the third party member is when fighting the behemoth?

It's the third party member you take to the final battle. I watched this scene on Youtube recently and it was Rion because that was who that person took to the final battle. Asuka is always the last one to disappear and the one Kou reaches for, regardless of bond level.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Was there an explanation for why they didn't just kill this thing while it was a fetus/larva that I missed?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that would be abortion and Gorou is pro-life

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Whammiewazzle posted:

Was there an explanation for why they didn't just kill this thing while it was a fetus/larva that I missed?

You didn't miss any explanation, there wasn't one given. There could be many reasons. My guess - and it is only a guess - is that the military might have thought it was easier to kill the thing if it was forced outside of the environment of the Eclipse, when it's not supposed to have as many ways to influence the world around itself or summon other Eclipse creatures to it. Maybe they thought binding it into the stripped-down mech was close enough for a host that the thing would use up its energy to bind to the mech, but wouldn't have enough energy to be able to flee or fight back.

No matter what the details of the plan were, the military clearly underestimated it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

that would be abortion and Gorou is pro-life

No, White Shroud is. But he’s a Sedevacantist so who cares what he thinks.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You didn't miss any explanation, there wasn't one given. There could be many reasons. My guess - and it is only a guess - is that the military might have thought it was easier to kill the thing if it was forced outside of the environment of the Eclipse, when it's not supposed to have as many ways to influence the world around itself or summon other Eclipse creatures to it. Maybe they thought binding it into the stripped-down mech was close enough for a host that the thing would use up its energy to bind to the mech, but wouldn't have enough energy to be able to flee or fight back.

No matter what the details of the plan were, the military clearly underestimated it.

I'd say that it allows them to apply far more offense than they would otherwise. Mech guns are far bigger and pack a bigger impact than Kou's noodle arm. Big gun better than little gun.

It clearly didn't work as well as it could have, but it likely weakened the Breed to a level where it was a lot easier to deal with.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 77: A Family Affair :siren:

Please raise your hand if you thought even for a second that Gramps was actually in the dark about all this eclipse nonsense. No one? Good, that's what we expected to see.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Seijyuurou and Sousuke beat the last Twilight Disaster by accident over the course of one drunken weekend, and remember almost nothing about the affair

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 25, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm certain that the vegetable shop guy has either been referred to as Ryouta's father multiple times, or has talked about Ryouta being his son. I'd call the "uncle" thing the error.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm certain that the vegetable shop guy has either been referred to as Ryouta's father multiple times, or has talked about Ryouta being his son. I'd call the "uncle" thing the error.

Yeah. This isn't even a translation issue, it's the same in the Japanese, so I guess whoever was writing that bit of dialogue forgot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Polsy posted:

Yeah. This isn't even a translation issue, it's the same in the Japanese, so I guess whoever was writing that bit of dialogue forgot.

This. Fuckin'. Game. :ughh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

loving incredible.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Either that or there's a secret parentage twist deep into Ryouta's bonding events.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, has anyone actually seen Ryouta's bonding events? We can't say it doesn't happen.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Polsy posted:

Either that or there's a secret parentage twist deep into Ryouta's bonding events.

Maybe Ryouta’s parents died from the Eclipse ten years ago and his uncle adopted him? Or he’s the Joseph Gribble of this game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

I mean, has anyone actually seen Ryouta's bonding events? We can't say it doesn't happen.

From a quick glance at a YouTube compilation, Ryouta's bond events consist of:

1) Him and Kou racing put up flyers for his FatherUncle's fruit stand all up and down Shop Street and then Chizuru showing up and tsundere'ing the poo poo out of Ryouta for being a lazy prick who just half-assed his way to victory because he put some of the flyers up upside down.

2) Kou helping Ryouta with his physiotherapy recovery from getting hit by a car in Chapter 3. Ryouta reveals he tried to study under Grandpa Kokonoe once, but Sousuke loving scared the poo poo out of him with his intensity, so he just never went back. He then calls Kou out on how distant he's been lately with the burgeoning X.R.C. bullshit and straight up says "Hey, me, Jun and Shiori still exist, you know?" and Kou's literally that "That's nice, Ryouga... Or... poo poo, what's your name again?"

and

3) Kou absolutely obliterates Ryouta at every arcade game in Horaichou. They then go to Shop Street and reminisce about their childhood together with Shiori which then turns into kind of a "tell me our friendship is over without telling me our friendship is over" thing where Kou tells Ryouta that he hasn't changed one bit since they were literal children, and then Ryouta kind of quietly realizes he's lost Kou to Asuka and the rest of the X.R.C. and just like "Well, try to remember that I exist every once and a while, okay?"

So if Jun's bond event arc is "I think I'm probably gay and/or trans" then Ryouta's is basically "I think I just lost my best friend to his new and better friends."

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wow, that's almost too harsh.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

nine-gear crow posted:

This. Fuckin'. Game. :ughh:

ChaosArgate posted:

loving incredible.

This isn't even the biggest, most obvious mistake in the translation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Wow, that's almost too harsh.

Yeah, Ryouta's bond events really (accidentally) sell the idea that Kou just doesn't really like Ryouta all that much anymore and he'd rather be chilling with the X.R.C. right now instead, but is just kind of humoring him and the vestigial vapors their friendship is running on now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Ryouta's bond events really (accidentally) sell the idea that Kou just doesn't really like Ryouta all that much anymore and he'd rather be chilling with the X.R.C. right now instead, but is just kind of humoring him and the vestigial vapors their friendship is running on now.

To be fair, it's kinda hard to blame him for that. The XRC in general gives Kou a lot of purpose that he's been lacking in his day to day life, and even if you grant them their most interesting selves, Jun is barely equivalent to Asuka or Mitsuki while Sora and Rion cover the childhood friend/girlfriend aspects of Shiori's character and Ryouta...well, he sure exists, I guess.

E: And to be clear, this is absolutely a failing on Falcom's part, as the Trails series has tons of side characters and Not-Quite-Main-Characters that are just as interesting as their core protagonists. Crossbell in particular is absolutely full of them, and while Cold Steel has fewer, it has a gargantuan main cast that eventually sucks in basically every single character of note by CS4.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 27, 2022

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Artix posted:

To be fair, it's kinda hard to blame him for that. The XRC in general gives Kou a lot of purpose that he's been lacking in his day to day life, and even if you grant them their most interesting selves, Jun is barely equivalent to Asuka or Mitsuki while Sora and Rion cover the childhood friend/girlfriend aspects of Shiori's character and Ryouta...well, he sure exists, I guess.

He’s got the competitiveness with Kou that Kou and Yuuki have, but Kou and Yuuki’s relationship doesn’t seem that strong either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

He’s got the competitiveness with Kou that Kou and Yuuki have, but Kou and Yuuki’s relationship doesn’t seem that strong either.

And yet for some reason, I buy Kou and Yuuki having a stronger, more believable friendship at this point in the game than Kou and Ryouta do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Ryouta is inbred

I figured he was just dropped on his head as a baby

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 27, 2022

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I pity Ryouta's funcle. Imagine not only being such a dumbass' uncle, but also their dad!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet for some reason, I buy Kou and Yuuki having a stronger, more believable friendship at this point in the game than Kou and Ryouta do.

Yeah. If nothing else they seem to enjoy competing with each other, while Ryouta seems to think he’s Kou’s rival while Kou doesn’t care about whatever Ryouta does. At least with Yuuki Kou cared enough about losing to him at the fighting game to be upset.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

Yeah. If nothing else they seem to enjoy competing with each other, while Ryouta seems to think he’s Kou’s rival while Kou doesn’t care about whatever Ryouta does. At least with Yuuki Kou cared enough about losing to him at the fighting game to be upset.

There's also a give and take with Kou and Yuuki. Yuuki has a sharp enough wit that he can absolutely obliterate Kou with trash talk or insults just as good as Kou can dunk on him. With Ryouta, it's always a one-way street of Kou humiliating him and Ryouta rarely, if ever, managing to land a successful counter punch.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 78: Gentrification or Genocide? :siren:

The list of characters who would make better and more interesting party members than our current crew is at least as long as our actual party, if not moreso.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

back in my day we had to stop an apocalypse just to get to school

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 79: Oops! All Ice Physics :siren:

The second half of the tower is much shorter than the first, a blessing that we will happily take given what is to come in Towers 2 and 3. Also we get Sora back, which fixes a whole lot of our offensive woes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I want to say the glowing orbs on the Guardian's shoulders are meant to represent the spider...but that's a reach at best.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Guardian is a giant devil robot, of the same sort wielded by the Emissary from Hell, Spider-Man

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 80: Even Ryouta Figured It Out :siren:

The school is under attack, but White Shroud comes out of nowhere to save the day at the last second! You won't believe who's hiding behind the mask!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the more time I spend on JRPGs, the further away I get from grasping the actual, literal meanings of "masaka" and "kore wa"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 8, 2022

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

"Why the hell was that line not voiced?" Good question, it's always been voiced in Japanese versions. It was missing in the English version of regular Tokyo Xanadu too so at least they didn't specially break it for eX+.

e: mild spoilers for future thumbnails if you let the video finish and have it auto-suggest other videos from this person's let's play

Polsy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 8, 2022

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, the voice command is just plain missing for that line in the English script:

Possibly because it's inconsistently after the newline instead of at the start of the line in the JP script? I dunno.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Even Saki couldn't do much against the Greed without a weapon which can actually damage them. That's how it was for Shio and Sora as well.
- I don't have the best ear for voices, especially Japanese VA's, so I didn't recognize Jun's voice at all. So I found it pretty surprising that Ryouta recognized it before everyone else.
- I did see Jun's Chapter 7 bonding event and I got a bit of an odd vibe from him there, but I wasn't sure if it really meant anything.
- Huh... it seems like Mikuraya might have placed the book in the library after all.
- Jun's "doppleganger" being trapped in the Briar Castle was an interesting misdirect - if somewhat unfair to the player who has no way to tell.
- If Kou's entry into the Eclipse was from Jun, it would have been a pretty big change to the story dynamic, because additional exposures to the Eclipse restore memories and he would have remembered Jun knowing about it.
- Even XSEED has hosed up audio files occasionally, some lines from Cold Steel 1 which had been working got hosed up in a patch and remain unfixed.
- What's easy to miss is that there is a scene for visiting Acros Tower. I keep forgetting to go there because I know you can't get in.
- The quest for Yukki's sister only shows up with all the other quests right before the final dungeon. Same with the Manager's quest.
- I think dialogue indicates that the Nemesis tech at the mall had some weapons that could hurt Greed handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 81: Can We Put Him Back? :siren:

The gang picks up Rion and Mitsuki in the second tower, as we have a big reunion with everyone's favorite Zodiac characters: Kyouka, Seijuurou, and no one else.