Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Louisgod posted:

help help, my get out of jail free card for being a loving dipshit is being taken from me, what am I supposed to do now? Get vaccinated?? gently caress youu

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1486443424710549516?s=20

He should take after his father and stroke out on live tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Louisgod posted:

help help, my get out of jail free card for being a loving dipshit is being taken from me, what am I supposed to do now? Get vaccinated?? gently caress youu

i have actually been doing that and would do it even more if it got rand paul. rand paul dying of covid would be one of the top echelon of funniest outcomes.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

McNugget Buddy posted:

With people getting Shingles as a symptom, coupled with the theory that reactivated EBV is causing severe COVID, I wonder if putting everyone positive on Valtrex for a couple weeks post-diagnosis would help prevent severe COVID

https://www.pharmaceutical-technolo...has%20occurred.

Oh holy poo poo. A couple coworkers I'm close enough with told me they think they have shingles. They all caught omicron like two weeks ago.

I don't know how I didn't get it tbh. Only respirator your trust I guess, praise aura

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crazyweasel posted:

Read today that Omicron BA.1, BA.2, and BA.3 differ from each other as much as Alpha Beta and Delta differed from each other

lol COVID has me so loving exhausted just nothing is going to change with this goddamn thing, 2022 is literally going to be exactly like 2021 except we probably won’t even get a real Summer dip

300k cases per day 7 day moving average for 6 straight months and it's constantly called good news and evidence that covid is over

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Frosted Flake posted:

As an aside, I have a meeting with a technical director coming up, so if you know of an “untapped” pool of single or double amputees beyond military guys or clumsy farmhands that would fit the bill and thread that needle, you could be the toast of the town.

amazing lol

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Louisgod posted:

Are they going to refuse Sotrovimab just because it's not the DeSantis-approved Regeneron?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
yes yes yes, luv 2 see my kids' school pop off with over 13 confirmed cases of COVID, which is roughly 5% of the school, despite 100% masking. very loving glad I'm keeping them home this and next week.

https://www.4j.lane.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

yes yes yes, luv 2 see my kids' school pop off with over 13 confirmed cases of COVID, which is roughly 5% of the school, despite 100% masking. very loving glad I'm keeping them home this and next week.

https://www.4j.lane.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

that is a tiny lil' school

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

300k cases per day 7 day moving average for 6 straight months and it's constantly called good news and evidence that covid is over

i dont know how serious you are being but yeah that sounds about right—300k plateau!

on the low end ill say cases dip to 100k. no way we’re getting down to 10k.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
one of my students was getting tutoring because his parents were scared of him getting covid at school. Vancouver island.

they could only afford two weeks though.

I got covid on Tuesday of the second week. he’s back in school now.

i hope he’s ok. lovely kid.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

that is a tiny lil' school

think it's something like 300 students total. not too small but not huge either.

also, enjoying aj's continued trashing of zeynep, it is my new fetish.

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1486451894629421063?s=20

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

i dont know how serious you are being but yeah that sounds about right—300k plateau!

on the low end ill say cases dip to 100k. no way we’re getting down to 10k.

IDK how serious I'm being either but that's my actual prediction for what will happen regardless

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

snake and bake posted:

:smith:

I'm sorry Lovelyn

I read an article a while back quoting some therapists who were basically saying "yeah we really don't know how to treat PTSD like this in health care workers while they're still actively working in the conditions that caused them trauma"

Yeah, like, I'm certainly not a professional here, but AFAIK one of the basic things there is that the trauma needs to stop first for it to even be able to be PTSD. Right now, it's just a plain ol' living hell with unceasing traumatic experiences. Mental health folks aren't really equipped to deal with that.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not_superiority posted:

Oh holy poo poo. A couple coworkers I'm close enough with told me they think they have shingles. They all caught omicron like two weeks ago.

I don't know how I didn't get it tbh. Only respirator your trust I guess, praise aura

Virgins will inherit the earth

Nothing but under-20 Mormons who've never been kissed

Mono sucks rear end

EDIT: Oh wait holy poo poo - are kids maybe not getting symptomatic COVID because most of them haven't been exposed to Mono yet?

https://www.healthychildren.org/Eng...ars%20of%20age.

quote:

Epstein-Barr virus is spread from one person to another in saliva, blood, and other body fluids. Close contact is usually required, such as kissing or sexual contact.

Although the infection can occur at any age, mononucleosis is most common in people between 15 and 30 years of age.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hardcore https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1486446059035320328

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

If your EAP sucks poo poo, try looking via psychology today for therapists doing telehealth. If your insurance won't cover them, or you can't afford their rate ask them if they have a sliding scale. If they don't, ask them if they know any that do.

I've sent out over 10 emails so far and none of the folks from psychology today are accepting new clients and don't know anyone that is

I'll keep at it though

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

did you know that 300k is only 0.1% of the total population?

covid is OVER!

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
I wonder if some actuary is crunching numbers on the healthcare costs of covid-related long term illness vs. the savings from culling the old/fat/sick

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Okay so a while back the Covid Clown at my workplace went viral when a ~nurse influencer~ posted about it

Well, it happened again folks...someone sent me a random meme and it's LITERALLY OF MY UNIT

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

McNugget Buddy posted:

Mono sucks rear end

EDIT: Oh wait holy poo poo - are kids maybe not getting symptomatic COVID because most of them haven't been exposed to Mono yet?

it'll be interesting to see the incoming research on this, but i'd point out it might not just be epstein-barr. lots of things live to some degree undetected within us and opportunistically take advantage of when the immune system is busy or weakened to come out of retirement

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pink Mist posted:

I wonder if some actuary is crunching numbers on the healthcare costs of covid-related long term illness vs. the savings from culling the old/fat/sick
lmao

inconclusive diagnosis!!!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epstein%E2%80%93Barr_virus_vaccine

quote:

As of November 4, 2021, vaccine maker Moderna was preparing to begin a Phase I clinical trial of mRNA-1189, its mRNA vaccine targeting EBV. The company says "Our vaccine encodes five glycoproteins to inhibit both mechanisms for viral entry into B cells (gp350 plus gH/gL/gp42), adds protection for epithelial cells (gH/gL), and includes gB for protection of all cells." The viral proteins produced by the mRNA in this vaccine are expressed in their native form, bound to the cell membrane, where they are available for recognition by the immune system.

If this is successful they should probably put that in their ComboVax next year

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

So I'm pushing my cart of groceries wearing a half face respirator with the hard shell p100 carts, a Pittsburgh Penguins cap, and black tinted aviator glasses. Some maskless dude comes up to me and says "Excuse me, do you work here?"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

McNugget Buddy posted:

Mono sucks rear end

Lol if you’re a shutin virgin you’re immune. The Chad disease

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

nexous posted:

I haven’t worn pants to work since March 2020

Hell yeah. I've been pants free at work since then too. It's hard to manage it on a construction site, at a children's hospital, but the freedom is worth it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
endemicity

android1701
Mar 22, 2020

Lovelyn posted:

Used the Employee Assistance Program at work to try to find a new counselor to deal with everything, and I got gems like:

"You have to leave work at work!"

"You need to do more self-care"

"You're more worried about getting this virus than you should be. You're young and healthy and vaxxed/boosted!" "Okay but what if I get someone else sick?" "You aren't responsible for them!"

"I want you to get out of the house and socialize" "I'm a nurse in a covid ICU, I'm constantly exposed, multiple staff members are out sick with Covid including vaxxed/boosted people, I don't want to contribute to the spread" "You're going to burn yourself out if you stay in your house!"

feels bad man

Long time lurker but, I worked with an organization which did therapy for child sex abuse victims. The organization was police adjacent so there was an institutional skew that way.

9 total therapists - 5 of the 9 were certain covid was a hoax, 2 were indifferent, 1 took it seriously, 1 was terrified because her husband almost died from covid and could no longer work. She would have left the field if money wasn't an issue. A good portion of those therapists tended to have the attitude that everything is basically in your head and there's no such thing as hard science. They were all people who meant well but as a group just as fractured and deluded as the rest of America.

If you are therapy shopping consider asking some questions to see if your person has a basic grasp of reality before committing.

android1701 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 26, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the county generously gave each member of the library staff three KN95 masks last week. it turns out they’re all fake. whoops

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

McNugget Buddy posted:

wikipedia says

Most people become infected with EBV and gain adaptive immunity. In the United States, about half of all five-year-old children and about 90% of adults have evidence of previous infection.[18]

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Can't wait for the lull between omicron 1 and omicron 2 where I can finally buy the mask dip.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

cenotaph posted:

So I'm pushing my cart of groceries wearing a half face respirator with the hard shell p100 carts, a Pittsburgh Penguins cap, and black tinted aviator glasses. Some maskless dude comes up to me and says "Excuse me, do you work here?"

the correct answer is always yes

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Louisgod posted:

Yes I would do all of that if Rand Paul died due to COVID or natural causes (hopefully something other than natural causes that is painful).

I will cheer for sure and throw a party

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

android1701 posted:

Long time lurker but, I worked with an organization which did therapy for child sex abuse victims. The organization was police adjacent so there was an institutional skew that way.

9 total therapists - 5 of the 9 were certain covid was a hoax, 2 were indifferent, 1 took it seriously, 1 was terrified because her husband almost died from covid and could no longer work. She would have left the field if money wasn't an issue. A good portion of those therapists tended to have the attitude that everything is basically in your head and there's no such thing as hard science. They were all people who meant well but as a group just a fractured and deluded as the rest of America.

If you are therapy shopping consider asking some questions to see if your person has a basic grasp of reality before committing.

It's such slim pickings out there right now, the kind of people I'd like to meet with are all at capacity. The people I've reached out to on my own seemed normal and empathetic, and one in particular stood out. In his bio he mentioned he embraces existentialist philosophers and psychologists, examines suffering, and overall seemed super compassionate. He wrote me a really nice e-mail back thanking me for my work and apologizing for not accepting new clients and gave me a few leads but they were all full as well. I used psychology today to send a few more emails but no one I messaged was accepting, that's when I reached out to the EAP. I didn't know anything about this guy and he works for a shared practice so I didn't even know who I was meeting with.

I'm gonna call the EAP back and say it wasn't a good fit and ask for another referral. A kind goon messaged me a lead as well. I really just want someone who will listen as I tell them about the poo poo that's going on at work. This guy was like, trying to solve my problems in the dumbest possible way. My problem is covid, and no amount of hiking is going to make that go away (although I'm looking forward to spring, I might actually go out somewhere this year!)

Lovelyn fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 27, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Louisgod posted:

lol they've been leaning super hard on the 'divisive' rhetoric lately

anything that isn't what they want is dividing America

Morbus
May 18, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

Are they going to refuse Sotrovimab just because it's not the DeSantis-approved Regeneron?

Soros-vimab is a concentrated 5G bioweapon made from fetal cell lines and adrenochrome

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

metal.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

It is kinda funny that 15-20% of people looking at reality and going "nah" to restaurants and cruises and stuff is enough to make the Nate Silvers of the world poo poo their pants.

It's finally hitting them that nothing will ever be normal again if even 5-10% of people decide they're still too scared to come out. This fact is only just hitting them now because they're loving idiots. Eventually they'll realize that killing hundreds of thousands of extra people per year is also a threat to "normalcy."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Salt Fish posted:

Can't wait for the lull between omicron 1 and omicron 2 where I can finally buy the mask dip.

*Pounds on table*

Elastomeric! Elastomeric!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
covid got me feelin omicrummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Eventually they'll realize that killing hundreds of thousands of extra people per year is also a threat to "normalcy."

not if we do it every year