Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lefleur's 2 playoff wins are against the Seahawks which had a mildly questionable spot at the end and against the Rams starting a Jared Goff who'd had surgery less than two weeks prior because John Wolford had a neck injury.

Not exactly the most impressive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He also lost to "Handsome" James Garoppolo twice, this can't be stated enough times

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I feel like they could have done a few more things to screw him up more tbh

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Somehow, I had never seen footage of the final NFL vs. College All-Star game from 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0lkHGKV44U

Twas wet.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Spoeank posted:

He also lost to "Handsome" James Garoppolo twice, this can't be stated enough times

2019 Niners were a beast of a team outside of Garoppolo though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

WHOOPS posted:

I mean, that’s not wrong. Kirk Cousins tested positive for COVID, missing the Vikings last chance at keeping their playoff hopes alive against the Packers and no one gave a poo poo lol

If the Vikings were a little better at least a few people might have given a poo poo.

But yeah, Kirk just kept his head down and didn't run his mouth. Perhaps knowing that if he did a lot of stupid poo poo would come out.

fsif posted:

Rodgers didn't even have the courage of his convictions until he got caught. He tried to pass himself off as vaccinated.

:yeah:

great cartoon but that's one terrible kaepernick

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MJeff posted:

Lefleur's 2 playoff wins are against the Seahawks which had a mildly questionable spot at the end and against the Rams starting a Jared Goff who'd had surgery less than two weeks prior because John Wolford had a neck injury.

Not exactly the most impressive stuff.

Oh I know, I’m just think it’s funny that Lafleur is a big improvement over McCarthy in terms of regular season performance and it just hasn’t mattered at all once the playoffs come around. “Most wins in 3 years without a Super Bowl appearance” is probably not a record you want to hold.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Gully Foyle posted:

2019 Niners were a beast of a team outside of Garoppolo though.

You'll find Jimmy Vibes are a big part of the 49ers' success

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Oh I know, I’m just think it’s funny that Lafleur is a big improvement over McCarthy in terms of regular season performance and it just hasn’t mattered at all once the playoffs come around. “Most wins in 3 years without a Super Bowl appearance” is probably not a record you want to hold.

Yeah, we're on the same page, I was agreeing with you. :lol:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

YOLOsubmarine posted:

same amount of playoff wins as Zach Taylor.

Also this is fun

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1486368443389689862?s=20

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I mean good for him but the bengals offense wasn’t exactly lighting it up for most of that game

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

wyoak posted:

I mean good for him but the bengals offense wasn’t exactly lighting it up for most of that game

no their O line was getting destroyed most of the game. Just enjoyed the fact is all

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

bows1 posted:

same amount of playoff wins as Zach Taylor.

Also this is fun

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1486368443389689862?s=20

In fairness though, how hard is it to call a play where he throws it to chase?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Somehow, I had never seen footage of the final NFL vs. College All-Star game from 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0lkHGKV44U

Twas wet.

The QB play is so bad lmao, what is this interception????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0lkHGKV44U&t=112s

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

really queer Christmas posted:

In fairness though, how hard is it to call a play where he throws it to chase?

You'd think that, but then you have stuff like the Browns putting it in Baker's hands instead of Chubb's.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

grumpy & covetous

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

grumpy & covetous

Hi grumpy & covetous I’m ornery and hornery

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't blame Baker for taking a break - must get tedious. Also I think Baker was hurt worse than was public and he'll bounce back with a banger year in his 5th and if at the end he told the browns to gently caress off he'd be right to do so.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Browns fault Baker couldn't see an open OBJ behind a league best line lol

Stefanski is dumb but Baker has no room to throw shade

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chucktesla posted:

I feel like they could have done a few more things to screw him up more tbh

I’m trying to think of things worse than the hiring of Jason Garrett as OC…

Maybe if they’d hired Adam Gase? One of the Ryan brothers who hate offense? Urban Meyer?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Browns fault Baker couldn't see an open OBJ behind a league best line lol

Stefanski is dumb but Baker has no room to throw shade

I went back and watched some browns highlights from the 2020 season and while yeah - they're highlights - Baker can kind of do it all and the ones that can, don't come along very often. QBs are going to have a down year every now and then - more so if they get banged up early and I think it's OK for the team not to be 100% but I kind of get the feeling that if the Browns lose Baker and he goes somewhere with some competence on the offensive line and in the coaching room he'll be the next Drew Brees where teams are kicking themselves for not believing and going after him. I know obvs with Brees he injured his throwing shoulder the year he left but I think Bakers going to be a very good QB for a long time.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I went back and watched some browns highlights from the 2020 season and while yeah - they're highlights - Baker can kind of do it all and the ones that can, don't come along very often. QBs are going to have a down year every now and then - more so if they get banged up early and I think it's OK for the team not to be 100% but I kind of get the feeling that if the Browns lose Baker and he goes somewhere with some competence on the offensive line and in the coaching room he'll be the next Drew Brees where teams are kicking themselves for not believing and going after him. I know obvs with Brees he injured his throwing shoulder the year he left but I think Bakers going to be a very good QB for a long time.

The gently caress are you talking about competence on the offensive line? Both guards went all pro again, Tretter is one of the better centers, Conklin 2 time all pro (injuries this year) and a 1st invested at LT. Are you sure you watched 2020?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The gently caress are you talking about competence on the offensive line? Both guards went all pro again, Tretter is one of the better centers, Conklin 2 time all pro (injuries this year) and a 1st invested at LT. Are you sure you watched 2020?

Easy, I'm not saying the Browns line was incompetent, or their coaching room. I'm just saying if he changes teams and goes to a good situation I don't forsee his trend of one bad year when he was banged up continuing.

My point was more - I don't necessarily see Baker in that elite as elite tier as Mahomes where he could probably suit up for the Jags or Carolina tomorrow and be dominant but given enough I think he'll shine. I'm not saying he cant or won't shine with the Browns next year. More I was speaking to this year being an anomaly and if the team hasn't been as supportive as he feels they should be this year and it makes him want to leave after next he'll be good for someone else.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The idea that the Browns have done Baker wrong is insane. They've invested a shitload to put him in as good as situation as they can. Brought in OBJ and Landry then signed what had been a good TE till he got to the Browns (tale as old as time) in Austin Hooper then Chubb and Hunt to hand off to. Stefanski is overrated but man in what world does he not share a ton of blame? I'm a huge critic of this dumb team man but come on.

Like this isn't Green Bay wasting a pick on Jordan Love or the Patriots refusing to go into FA for Brady.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The idea that the Browns have done Baker wrong is insane. They've invested a shitload to put him in as good as situation as they can. Brought in OBJ and Landry then signed what had been a good TE till he got to the Browns (tale as old as time) in Austin Hooper then Chubb and Hunt to hand off to. Stefanski is overrated but man in what world does he not share a ton of blame? I'm a huge critic of this dumb team man but come on.

Like this isn't Green Bay wasting a pick on Jordan Love or the Patriots refusing to go into FA for Brady.

I'm saying he was injured this year and that alone accounts for his bad play. I'm not saying the browns didn't do the things you mentioned.

My question is where does the rift or what seems like a rift between Mayfield and Stefanski come from? I'm not saying Bakers hard done by in terms of what's around him on the field, but he might be in terms of how he's being treated within the coaching room.

I actually think the Browns have a very good team from top to bottom and I think with a healthy Baker they'll be in the mix again next season.

It just seems a little odd to me that him and Stefanski seem really at odds with each other and that little power struggle might mean Baker is gone after his 5th season and I think if he did either get angry enough with his coaches to want to leave or if the coaches win they power struggle and the front office let's him walk he'll go on to have a good career elsewhere.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The browns have given Baker an exceptional OL, great wrs, and great rbs.

What you’ve seen from Baker (when healthy) is basically what you can hope to get.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I'm saying he was injured this year and that alone accounts for his bad play. I'm not saying the browns didn't do the things you mentioned.

My question is where does the rift or what seems like a rift between Mayfield and Stefanski come from? I'm not saying Bakers hard done by in terms of what's around him on the field, but he might be in terms of how he's being treated within the coaching room.

I actually think the Browns have a very good team from top to bottom and I think with a healthy Baker they'll be in the mix again next season.

It just seems a little odd to me that him and Stefanski seem really at odds with each other and that little power struggle might mean Baker is gone after his 5th season and I think if he did either get angry enough with his coaches to want to leave or if the coaches win they power struggle and the front office let's him walk he'll go on to have a good career elsewhere.

I mean Stefanski lives and dies by Baker next year. If Baker performs next year but still hates I think Kevin loses that power struggle unless the locker room comes in big for Stefanski which I just don't see.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What you’ve seen from Baker (when healthy) is basically what you can hope to get.

2020 healthy Baker was very good. Not elite, but very good. I'm going off my dumb memory, but the last half of the 2020 season he threw like maybe 2 picks. He was very efficient. I'll take that any day over going back to the QB carousel for the next 25 years, even if his skillsets won't enable us to win a game with 13 seconds left.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I mean Stefanski lives and dies by Baker next year. If Baker performs next year but still hates I think Kevin loses that power struggle unless the locker room comes in big for Stefanski which I just don't see.

That makes sense too. I think the point I was trying to make is more or less that I think the Browns team as a whole is a good unit and I think Baker is a very good QB who's just had a down year and I think that if there isn't a reconciliation for whatever reason and regardless of whether he stays or goes I think he's a very good QB and will be around for a long time and anyone who wants to cut bait and move him on or move on would be making a mistake.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

2020 healthy Baker was very good. Not elite, but very good. I'm going off my dumb memory, but the last half of the 2020 season he threw like maybe 2 picks. He was very efficient. I'll take that any day over going back to the QB carousel for the next 25 years, even if his skillsets won't enable us to win a game with 13 seconds left.

I mean you shouldn’t want to be one that anyway. Next year is gonna be dire for grabbing a QB. Especially if the top two QBs out there just end up staying.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BlindSite posted:

That makes sense too. I think the point I was trying to make is more or less that I think the Browns team as a whole is a good unit and I think Baker is a very good QB who's just had a down year and I think that if there isn't a reconciliation for whatever reason and regardless of whether he stays or goes I think he's a very good QB and will be around for a long time and anyone who wants to cut bait and move him on or move on would be making a mistake.

The big thing to remember to about Stefanski is he was brought in to fix Baker and that a bunch of players very publicly criticized (Bitonio, Myles and JJ3 off the top of my head) the coaching staff this year. Winning fixes everything of course but the fanbase aint coming out for the coaching staff and Haslam is smart enough to know that.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t necessarily disagree about what the quality of his play is with that support. I was just commenting that we’ve seen the high water mark.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I thought for most of 2021 that ches neckbeard was just being a browns fan unused to being good. But the end of the season, seeing stefanski refuse to use his best player in favor of an injured baker, and seeing how good OBJ is on the rams, and I'm not gonna doubt him again.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I would say they beat up on a lot of bad teams which had a lot less talent than them mostly. They also lost to the Sam Darnold Jets. It was his best stretch, for sure, but it didn't make me think 'wow this guy can do it all, they are gonna go the super bowl someday.'

I have no issue with them rolling with him next year and seeing what they can make of it. To me, it's obvious that Mayfield will never take them all the way though. And will struggle to even win a postseason game.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

really queer Christmas posted:

I thought for most of 2021 that ches neckbeard was just being a browns fan unused to being good. But the end of the season, seeing stefanski refuse to use his best player in favor of an injured baker, and seeing how good OBJ is on the rams, and I'm not gonna doubt him again.

Ches is the biggest Browns doomer ever, which, yeah, I get that. They've been either non-existent or a dumpster fire since I was... *checks notes*... 5 years old. Sometimes it's a little over-the-top, but:

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's absolutely right. The idea that Baker has ever been hung out to dry by this organization is batshit crazy. Also, the idea that he has constantly evolved or taken that next step is some wild fiction. Baker is the Ross and Rachael of quarterbacks. Once a season he has a game with a HoF statline, everyone goes all RonPaulIt'sHappening.gif and then he proceeds to throw balls like his receivers are approximately Yao Ming's height. He's NEVER managed to consistently have good footwork for more than five minutes (oh hey I wonder why the ball is sailing towards the moon), he pump fakes like he's trying to jerk off an invisible giant and, as a result, in spite of our world class O-line (lol at saying they aren't, Bitonio and Teller ALONE are better than half the entire lines in the league) he gets sacked or throws a pick or does something dumb as poo poo. That said:

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The big thing to remember to about Stefanski is he was brought in to fix Baker and that a bunch of players very publicly criticized (Bitonio, Myles and JJ3 off the top of my head) the coaching staff this year. Winning fixes everything of course but the fanbase aint coming out for the coaching staff and Haslam is smart enough to know that.

The fact that ANY of those guys openly, publicly criticized what was going on with coaching is a massive red flag to me. Joel and Myles are like the ultimate ra-ra, supportive team dudes and JJ3's rep from the Rams speaks for itself.

The fact that Nick Chubb got a measly 1200 yards this year (for him, that's weak-rear end poo poo) says something is very wrong.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spoeank posted:

You'll find Jimmy Vibes are a big part of the 49ers' success

There was that one drive where he did like 12 handoffs in a row without dropping one. That takes a lot of skill and dedication to The Run.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

One of the things causing a rift is I think it's entirely up to the players to rally each other during a game. Like it or not a coach needs to be able to "rah rah" once and a while and Stefanski is a robot no matter how things are going.

Play calling is going wrong but I think that's another factor with this shitshow.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

One of the things causing a rift is I think it's entirely up to the players to rally each other during a game. Like it or not a coach needs to be able to "rah rah" once and a while and Stefanski is a robot no matter how things are going.

Play calling is going wrong but I think that's another factor with this shitshow.

True. I initially liked that we finally had a goddamn adult in the room after the last several coaches we've had but he needs to spend some time with Dan Campbell or something. I dig that he's steady and never embarassing, but he def needs to step it up a bit. That and give playcalling to AVP or something.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/joepompliano/status/1486463541548916736?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well when you’re helpless to stop something catastrophic that you’re witnessing in real time you’re more anxious then when you’re actively in control with the ability to do something about it.