Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aranan posted:

I've also got a dedicated treasure deck and it sure does churn out treasures.

It doesn't really do anything after that, though :v:

What are your outlets to actually use the treasure you built up? Revel in Riches, Marionette Master, some crazy rear end Eldrazi? Direct damage spells plus something like Fork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

That's not correct. His ability creates a delayed trigger that occurs at the end step, which goes on the stack and can be interacted with. 603.7 in the comprehensive rules.

No, it's all one paragraph and is thus a linked ability. You can't respond only to the "return him to the battlefield at the end step" because that is not a triggered ability. You would have to respond to the exile. There is no "when" or "whenever" in the second part of his ability, only the first part. If you stifle the ability he never leaves in the first place.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Heath posted:

No, it's all one paragraph and is thus a linked ability. You can't respond only to the "return him to the battlefield at the end step" because that is not a triggered ability. You would have to respond to the exile. There is no "when" or "whenever" in the second part of his ability, only the first part. If you stifle the ability he never leaves in the first place.

Shortest Path is correct; did you read 603.7? Norin the Wary has a triggered ability that creates another delayed triggered ability, which you can tell from the part where it says "at the beginning of the next end step." Delayed triggered abilities are still triggered abilities, and can be Stifled and such.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Y'all're gonna make me go ask a judge again.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Y'all're gonna make me go ask a judge again.

The Internet seems to agree with the above but I feel like it is worded stupid. It's very much an edge case in any situation. If I was playing Norin and someone stifled him I'd probably just scoop and tell them to kiss my rear end tbh

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Heath posted:

The Internet seems to agree with the above but I feel like it is worded stupid. It's very much an edge case in any situation. If I was playing Norin and someone stifled him I'd probably just scoop and tell them to kiss my rear end tbh

The oracle version is clearer:

When a player casts a spell or a creature attacks, exile Norin the Wary. Return it to the battlefield under its owner’s control at the beginning of the next end step.

But “at the beginning of…” is pretty much always a trigger that occurs then. It is wonky to create a trigger which creates a trigger.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Heath posted:

yeah if you are out here Stifling the incredibly overpowered Norin the Wary decks, I probably wont play with you

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Heath posted:

It's not really an edge case, it's a pretty common thing throughout Magic's history. For example, there are 223 cards similar to Norin whose oracle text includes "at the beginning of the/your next end step," and they're all parts of other effects (be they spells like Berserk or Ghostway, or triggered abilities like Norin or Feather or Prized Amalgam, activated abilities like Aetherling or Necropotence) that create delayed triggered abilities. There's also "do X at the beginning of the next upkeep" (e.g. Mishra's Bauble), "do X when Y dies this turn" (e.g. Massacre Girl), etc. All of these create triggered abilities that happen at a future time after the original effect. Sometimes, like Prized Amalgam, the entire effect (of the original trigger, in this case) is to create a delayed trigger; other times, like Mishra's Bauble, it's a part of an effect (an activated ability) that does multiple things including create a delayed trigger. The big giveaway is the use of the triggered ability words "when," "whenever," or "at" in reference to something happening in the future.

(also, on that note, be on the lookout for "if...instead", "as", and other constructions that don't use those three triggered ability words, which generally signal replacement effects that are not triggers, and "until" which signals that an ongoing effect ends without needing a trigger or anything.)

Also you're totally right that stifling Norin is an rear end in a top hat move.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 27, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's how a lot of effects like that work, anything which exiles and returns at the end step sets up a delayed trigger which can be interacted with. Roon of the Hidden Realm is a good example, I used to play him as a commander and included Voidslime and Trickbind for that reason.

That's actually a lot stronger now that it can permanently remove commanders, maybe I'll look into rebuilding that deck...

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Jiro posted:

Just get a Dark Depths, Marionette Master, and a bunch of other dumb ,mana, expensive devastating poo poo to swing around with all that money Uncle Scrooge. Even a Ghirapur Aethergrid is going to have a hilariously nasty effect.

https://archidekt.com/decks/1699947#Prosper_Work_in_Progress

That's my upgraded Prosper in it's current form. Unsure if I want to stick a big dumb expensive Eldrazi in there, but it's fun to pilot around and just acrue a gently caress ton of treasures per turn when one or two pieces are out on the board.

What's neat is there are so many different pieces that will just net you treasure for doing things I don't really need to worry about not having one or two certain pieces, outside of Prosper, to just start generating money.

Thanks. gonna keep a note on this whenever i decide to rebuild it. maybe i should preemptively keep revel in riches, grim hireling, and similar cards "just in case"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When did Grim Hireling get so expensive?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

When did Grim Hireling get so expensive?

Bit over a month ago I think. Part of me has been wanting to buy the deck just to have that as a pretty sweet bonus. I'm gonna want it for my upgraded Marchesa deck anyway.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I run it in my Grixis Rogues Marchesa. Glad I got a full art when it was new

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

how do you even get full arts of cards like grim hireling and prosper? are they in the boosters as well?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Collector boosters are the only way, I think. Who knows, the way they do packs these days is so confusing.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
Re: Norin's return being a delayed trigger, does he just get lost in space forever if you use an end-the-turn effect when he's about to return, exiling it, too?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Iron Heart posted:

Re: Norin's return being a delayed trigger, does he just get lost in space forever if you use an end-the-turn effect when he's about to return, exiling it, too?

Yes

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Framboise posted:

Collector boosters are the only way, I think. Who knows, the way they do packs these days is so confusing.

This is correct

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jiro posted:

What are your outlets to actually use the treasure you built up? Revel in Riches, Marionette Master, some crazy rear end Eldrazi? Direct damage spells plus something like Fork?

It's kind of a dumb deck. Some of the uses for treasures (aside from "make mana") in my deck are:

Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast / Grim Hireling - removal
Disciple of the Vault / Reckless Fireweaver / Mayhem Devil / Marionette Master / Ghirapur Aether Grid - very slowly poke people until they get annoyed and kill you
Goblin Welder / Goblin Engineer - artifact recursion
Hellkite Tyrant / Revel in Riches - win

Dizz posted:

how do you even get full arts of cards like grim hireling and prosper? are they in the boosters as well?

Buying them as singles from retailers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Don’t forget Nadier’s Nightblade

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That works but I'm probably just going to take this deck apart since it isn't really doing it for me. Forever building and ripping apart decks...

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Hey why is everything so expensive now?

I stopped playing in 2013-ish and now even draft jank is like $2, if you're lucky. I get that the format is moving faster and there's more people playing now, but it's nutso to be paying 60 for sensei's top. I'm sure the answer is "yes" but are people really paying $500+ for their casual commander decks? Well, at least people are playing talismans now. That's all, thanks for listening to Old Man Yells At Clouds.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

I stopped playing in 2013-ish and now even draft jank is like $2, if you're lucky. I get that the format is moving faster and there's more people playing now, but it's nutso to be paying 60 for sensei's top. I'm sure the answer is "yes" but are people really paying $500+ for their casual commander decks? Well, at least people are playing talismans now. That's all, thanks for listening to Old Man Yells At Clouds.

Commander is the most popular Magic format so even poo poo like Mana Vault, which was three dollars a decade ago, is infinity dollars now.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Chakan posted:

Besides all the price inflation and lack of reprints and premium product releases (which is obviously gonna raise prices), people aren't going to in person events nearly as much during pandemic time, so there's way less trading. Cards get opened up, then sold online, and then leave the "marketplace" instead of being traded or sold to stores/dealers, which is probably the bigger element of price inflation.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Infinite Karma posted:

Besides all the price inflation and lack of reprints and premium product releases (which is obviously gonna raise prices), people aren't going to in person events nearly as much during pandemic time, so there's way less trading. Cards get opened up, then sold online, and then leave the "marketplace" instead of being traded or sold to stores/dealers, which is probably the bigger element of price inflation.

There's also the MTG finance crew who are trying to treat cards like appreciating assets, which is leading to people buying cards to hold them for the price increases. I wonder if they are at all interested in these flower bulbs I happen to have.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

got my fat stack of pauper edh cards from a guy. he put in ashnod's altar and somehow didn't put it on the trade list.

i have one altar now and one i just bought on TCGPlayer so i guess i gotta somehow benefit from the other one in my future garth deck or my zombies one.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

We were talking about Inalla a few days back. Here's what the deck is capable of, if you can memorize the lines and mulligan properly. I certainly couldn't pilot it this well, but it's impressive to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec1dxkypVkc

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

We were talking about Inalla a few days back. Here's what the deck is capable of, if you can memorize the lines and mulligan properly. I certainly couldn't pilot it this well, but it's impressive to watch:

So is the laptop running a python script off-screen?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I don't have whatever part of my brain it is that makes this kind of gameplay look appealing

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thank you for sharing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sheldon mischaracterized my favorite author’s writing style in a throwaway tweet unrelated to MtG and now I am at war with the format!!!!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Never trust a Sheldon.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/SheldonMenery/status/1486099815004049409

lol

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Thank god we’ll still get quality articles like the recent one about the top 20 hidden gems in commander. Unfortunately he did not actually read the cards before writing the article so…

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I have and play with Gate to Phyrexia in my casual mono-B deck (because I have a bunch of old cards and what else am I gonna do with them?), and I agree it's an even better hidden gem because artifacts are harder for black to hit than enchantments. But also it's a nearly $100 card that's been out of print for... 29 years? They couldn't do their homework and decide that maybe it's not a good rec?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What am I missing? All three of the listed cards work fine with Gate?

Oh isee, artifact hate not enchantment hate like he typed.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 1, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Gate removes artifacts, not enchantments

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Gate destroys artifacts, but Sheldon must have read that it destroys enchantments.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

I have and play with Gate to Phyrexia in my casual mono-B deck (because I have a bunch of old cards and what else am I gonna do with them?), and I agree it's an even better hidden gem because artifacts are harder for black to hit than enchantments. But also it's a nearly $100 card that's been out of print for... 29 years? They couldn't do their homework and decide that maybe it's not a good rec?

I bought an LP one for $9 five years ago when I was thinking about maybe building a Yahenni deck. Glad to see it's $65 these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Infinite Karma posted:

But also it's a nearly $100 card that's been out of print for... 29 years?

Motherdouchebag, Gate to Phyrexia was a trash card back in the day, I had piles of them.