Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

nurmie posted:

would sending Admiral Kuznetsov there count as weather warfare

a rolling coal cloud in middle of the gulf of mexico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Falun Gong is more Taoist woo woo than Buddhist, but it's syncretic so it's got a little of everything anyway.

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1486409662262091777?s=20

Was talking about the TBS referred to here

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i know very little about chinese culture but am i supposed to be getting "revive the dynasty system" vibes from it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Buddha_School
Vajrayana buddhism is a pretty popular base system for abusive sex cults because it has initiated knowledge built into the framework so you can do the scientology thing of hiding the cults beliefs from the public and new initiates.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jan 26, 2022

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Increasingly thinking this is going to end with Ukraine just signing a treaty with Russia promising to never join NATO.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I love that the kuznetsov leaves a giant trail of smoke everywhere it goes so I can more easily spot it in DCS

Low on fuel in your Su-33? No problem comrade, just look for the plume of acrid heavy fuel oil guiding you back home

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Was talking about the TBS referred to here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Buddha_School
Vajrayana buddhism is a pretty popular base system for abusive sex cults because it has initiated knowledge built into the framework so you can do the scientology thing of hiding the cults beliefs from the public and new initiates.

The fact that Lu Sheng-yen started this as an explicitly Taoist cult before renaming it to True Buddha School really gives the game away.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Subvisual Haze posted:

Increasingly thinking this is going to end with Ukraine just signing a treaty with Russia promising to never join NATO.

That seems like the sort of thing that leads to a Colour Revolution that repudiates the treaty of the evil pro-Russian government.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

That would be the best-case scenario. It would also be the funniest outcome, in terms of humiliating the American Empire, so here's hoping!

Frosted Flake posted:

That seems like the sort of thing that leads to a Colour Revolution that repudiates the treaty of the evil pro-Russian government.

That is also regrettably not unlikely.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Biden is also the perfect president for America to lose face, so here's hoping.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/usv1980/status/1486431654080040966?s=20
https://twitter.com/usv1980/status/1486437272295772161?s=20

the mad lads in Brussels might actually do it

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

cuban missile crisis 2 let's goooooooo

Give Venezuela nukes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its gonna be really funny if this winds up with Donbass getting some sort of de jure recognition and everyone in the US gets mad that we didn't go to war

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

umm as an american i LOVE war and hate the briar patch, please don't cancel the invasion brer putin

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

brave new world when germany acting as the EU head negotiates treaties with minimal US involvement

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

With Russian media constantly complaining about Kiev not respecting Minsk protocols, seems like Kremlin got what they wanted.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
US special forces dressed in Ukrainian nazi army apparel will hopefully fire on a Russian position.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lostconfused posted:

With Russian media constantly complaining about Kiev not respecting Minsk protocols, seems like Kremlin got what they wanted.

yea from what I've heard from Russian friends the line from the media there is mostly 'why do we get held to all these standards but Kiev is free to ignore the few agreements they've made?' So uh, if this actually holds true big lol's all around at our warmongering accidentally genuinely fixing things.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Remember this fact as Russian propaganda heats up!!!

https://twitter.com/DavidPriess/status/1486322924734881797

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

From the Ukrainian perspective, why not go for the ceasefire?

Violating it is only viable if you think you can swiftly move in and present Russia with fait accompli. If you can’t wrap that up quickly you end up like Georgia, with Russian armoured formations racing for Kiev. The aid the US is providing in the form of ATGMs is enough to give them a bloody nose, maybe, but without real support you’re just being used as a proxy for US goals and will be abandoned once you’ve served your purpose.

Down to the ATGMs this is exactly what the US did to the FSA and Kurds. I would like to think that these signals from the Ukraine indicate that they believe their lives are worth more than being traded for a few T-72s. All of those tanks the FSA knocked out weakened the Syrian Army enough for Israel and the US to benefit, but not nearly enough for them to win the war, or even survive. My hope is that people have seen this and realized what the score is.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

From the Ukrainian perspective, why not go for the ceasefire?

Violating it is only viable if you think you can swiftly move in and present Russia with fait accompli. If you can’t wrap that up quickly you end up like Georgia, with Russian armoured formations racing for Kiev. The aid the US is providing in the form of ATGMs is enough to give them a bloody nose, maybe, but without real support you’re just being used as a proxy for US goals and will be abandoned once you’ve served your purpose.

Down to the ATGMs this is exactly what the US did to the FSA and Kurds. I would like to think that these signals from the Ukraine indicate that they believe their lives are worth more than being traded for a few T-72s. All of those tanks the FSA knocked out weakened the Syrian Army enough for Israel and the US to benefit, but not nearly enough for them to win the war, or even survive. My hope is that people have seen this and realized what the score is.

Zelenskiy knows the Americans are loving him over and over by pressuring Ukraine into taking a belligerent stance. He has to navigate a line that prevents the Nazis & Pravi Sektor from doing a coup while also making moves towards peace. The US dumping weapons into Ukraine isn't doing him any favors, so he has to look for other parties like Germany & France to engage in diplomacy.

Because whatever the gently caress the Americans are doing right now isn't diplomacy.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

the French Army of 1914 was full of habits from fighting colonial wars. One of which was carrying their gear “Algerian style” with pots and pans strapped outside the pack on the march while trekking through the dunes. All fine and good in Algeria, but in August of 1914 German artillery observers could see the glint of the sun reflecting off the metal cookware from several kilometres away.

shouldn't the glint of the sun be visible in the desert as well? or is it so bright there that a glint just doesn't register as well?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doctor Jeep posted:

shouldn't the glint of the sun be visible in the desert as well? or is it so bright there that a glint just doesn't register as well?

i think its more that the nomads they were oppressing in algeria didn't have artillery spotters so it didnt matter

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Soviet ballistic missiles could not even hit NYC, and yet the US acted like they were a threat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Doctor Jeep posted:

in the colonial war you were likely to spend a lot of time patrolling over long distances, hence carrying pots and pans. it’s no longer necessary once the combat becomes “thousands of you will die trying to seize a trench 500 yards away”.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FishBulbia posted:

Soviet ballistic missiles could not even hit NYC, and yet the US acted like they were a threat.

Americans don't even care about the lives of other Americans RE: covid, you think they'd ever give a poo poo about europeans?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i think its more that the nomads they were oppressing in algeria didn't have artillery spotters so it didnt matter

It’s this.

Throatwarbler posted:

in the colonial war you were likely to spend a lot of time patrolling over long distances, hence carrying pots and pans. it’s no longer necessary once the combat becomes “thousands of you will die trying to seize a trench 500 yards away”.

also this

Martin Windrow has some great books about how the French love of colonial adventure repeatedly bit them in the rear end.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jan 27, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol gently caress the Czechs apparently

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1486489198878068740?s=20

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Meanwhile Bing Bong Marcos tries to defend the nuclear plant built on a fault line by Westinghouse

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Americans don't even care about the lives of other Americans RE: covid, you think they'd ever give a poo poo about europeans?

really makes you question the logic of threatening Ukraine to try and force Washington policy outcomes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

now let me tell you about albania's closeness to Italy, using this chart....

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Douglas Porch has a whole scholarship on how Empire poisoned the French Army, then French politics and society, as well as setting them up for defeat in 1914 and 1940:

The Conquest of the Sahara:

In The Conquest of the Sahara, Douglas Porch tells the story of France's struggle to explore and dominate the great African desert at the turn of the century. Focusing on the conquest of the Ahaggar Tuareg, a Berber people living in a mountain area in central Sahara, he goes on to describe the bizarre exploits of the desert's explorers and conquerors and the incompetence of the French military establishment. Porch summons up a world of oases, desert forts and cafés where customers paid the dancer by licking a one-franc piece and sticking it on her forehead.

The Conquest of the Sahara reveals the dark side of France's "civilizing mission" into this vast terrain, and at the same time, weaves a rich tale of extravagant hopes, genius and foolhardiness.

Wars of Empire

Across the globe, the 19th century signaled the high renaissance of Western Imperialism, with England, France, and other European nations ruling more and more territory. With all their power, it may have seemed that the Europeans pressed forward unchecked, but it was not so: native militias often defeated those who would possess their homelands, sometimes quite spectacularly. Maintaining control of overseas empires began to put an enormous strain on the home economies of all imperial powers--and when the Great War loomed, they looked increasingly fragile. From the great African land rush and the Russian advance over Central Asia to British expansion and American imperialism, this gripping story, told by one of the world's great experts on the subject, captures civilizations clashing and fighting between peoples of radically different mentalities, political organizations, and contrasting technological capabilities.

The March to the Marne

The relationship between the French army and the regime provides one of the central themes in the history of the Third Republic. From its foundation in 1870, the republic sought to integrate the army of Louis-Napoleon into a left-leaning, democratic political system. This experiment failed, historians have argued, because the social origins, political attitudes and professional values of the officer corps sabotaged cooperation with the republic. The nation paid a bloody price for this failure on the battlefields of the Great War. Dr Porch's book challenges many standard assumptions about the place of the army in French political life between 1871 and 1914. The events of the 'Dreyfus years' are examined from the army's standpoint. Dr Porch examines the impact of the Dreyfus affair on the crucial tactical and armaments debates of the immediate pre-war years, tracing the origins of the costly 'spirit of the offensive' while providing the answer to the French army's near disastrous failure to the development of the colonial army and its place within the military structure is also assessed for the first time.

and Windrow’s Our Friends Beneath The Sand

In this book Martin Windrow describes desert battles and famous last stands in gripping detail - but he also shows exactly what the Foreign Legion were doing in North Africa in the first place. He explains how French colonial methods there actually had their roots in the jungles of Vietnam, and how the political pressures that kept the empire expanding can be traced to battles on the streets of Paris itself. His description of the Berber tribesmen of Morocco also reveals some disturbing modern parallels: the formidable guerrillas of the 1920s were inspired by an Islamic fundamentalist who was adept at using the world's media to further his cause.

Basically Imperial Adventure is a poisoned chalice that eventually destroys the society that embarks on it. Looking at what happened to France between 1870-1914 should scare the poo poo out of you because America has all of the weaknesses in army, society and politics from imperial campaigning but has not yet reached catastrophe.

The same thing happened to the British Empire with the Boer War - not only did they suffer several huge reverses on the field, but their aggression and treatment of the Boers led to Britain being increasingly isolated. When the rest of the world saw them treat Boers like Bantus, it was the beginning of the end of the “rules based international order” they headed, the goodwill and position of strength that let Britain do whatever it pleased ended pretty much right then and there. Germany started building a blue water navy to challenge British supremacy after seeing that the colossus had feet of clay.

The US spent 20 years repeating France’s colonial adventures and is surprised that China and Russia are willing to assert themselves. Facing those challenges with that air of invincibility could very easily go the way of August 1914.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Asproigerosis posted:

now let me tell you about how im risking my life to murder civvies in Ukraine to defend the freedums of lovely anti-war people

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Guess we gotta give California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas back to Mexico. Them's the rules

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

really makes you question the logic of threatening Ukraine to try and force Washington policy outcomes
Who said anything about US having a policy?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
China has right to impose tariffs on US$645 million of US products, says WTO

quote:

The World Trade Organization (WTO) authorised China on Wednesday to impose US$645 million of compensatory tariffs against the United States in a ruling likely to receive a cool reception in Washington.

China went to the WTO in 2012 to challenge anti-subsidy tariffs the United States imposed between 2008 and 2012, mainly during the term of US President Barack Obama, on 22 Chinese products ranging from solar panels to steel wire.

The decade-long case into alleged subsidies has centred on whether the United States could treat Chinese companies in which the government owns a majority stake as controlled by the state.

Oh man I remember the solar tariffs.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Wait getfiscal does things other than craft artisinal shitposts?

He runs a podcast with BabyFinland

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i can’t wait for america to start imposing Pinochet style dictators on Europe to stop Russia and Chinese investments and money and then invites those dictators to a saving democracy summit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The US spent 20 years repeating France’s colonial adventures and is surprised that China and Russia are willing to assert themselves. Facing those challenges with that air of invincibility could very easily go the way of August 1914.

Hey, you should check out The US will lose WW3 thread. You're a perfect fit for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

Meanwhile Bing Bong Marcos tries to defend the nuclear plant built on a fault line by Westinghouse

I do wonder what's going to happen.

Marcos is the current favorite for winning the election in May, and he's also the one that's been friendliest to Chinese interests (to the point where local media is screaming 24/7 about him being a Manchurian Candidate), but I'm not exactly keen on his ability to govern competently or to not just pocket whatever foreign support he gets, whether from east OR west.

Anyone know if Hun Sen is/was a popular leader among his own people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

Preposterous.