Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m guessing third party tortious interference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Medicare will pay for a bit of nursing home care in certain circumstances

Iirc

May have changed since I last knew this area but yeah they ll pay for short term but not long term care.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For those asking earlier, here is the ruling.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21185437/2022cv000068-tro4317792.pdf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It turned out to be a one day tro so yes everyone blew it way out of proportion

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think a one day emergency injunction on the basis of one party saying "People will die if you don't hit pause on this" isn't the most unreasonable thing in the world for a judge to do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A one day tro lamo is the most unreasonable thing in the world ?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I think a one day emergency injunction on the basis of one party saying "People will die if you don't hit pause on this" isn't the most unreasonable thing in the world for a judge to do.

It seems ridiculous to grant an injunction that doesn't actually relieve the complaint. If you claim people will die if these employees leave and the injunction states the employees can't start work for the other company. That doesn't actually solve the issue and just screws over the employees.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

asur posted:

It seems ridiculous to grant an injunction that doesn't actually relieve the complaint. If you claim people will die if these employees leave and the injunction states the employees can't start work for the other company. That doesn't actually solve the issue and just screws over the employees.

I wanna know how the other 4 rubes on the formerly 11 member team feel, stuck with the poo poo hospital.

that may not be fair.

the 4 other 'folk'.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Eminent Domain posted:

The real push they dangle here is that if you want them to sign off on the u-visa or similar you have the cooperate with the criminal investigation. So for cases with immigration concerns that's where it kicks in.

Have you had DAs in CO try to jail DV victims for not testifying? That's specifically prohibited here but we have mandatory arrest laws as well which can turn into a shitshow real quick. I have had a lot of calls where folks just wanted to document it but the report triggers an arrest and now there's criminal charges and they have no idea what to do next.

Yeah, the local DA tends to refer folks who aren't cooperative to us to see if we can help with those structural barriers (housing/etc). Sometimes they just aren't there yet though.

Sorry for the late reply - Ive never seen this in ky limited practice but afaik there isnt a specific law barring it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm aware of one local case in my area where the prosecutor tried to pull that kind of thing a few days before trial.

The defense attorney filed an ethics complaint against the prosecutor and then the prosecutor sank the case with a mistrial.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If nothing else, I think we have the start of an answer to 'What happens if a bunch employees all maliciously quit at once to tank their employer?'.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

A one day tro lamo is the most unreasonable thing in the world ?

The way his first opinion was written is pretty unreasonable yeah. Come to the table and settle it, or I'll harm the poo poo out of these third parties while we hash it out.

If it was "I'm doing this until Monday out of an abundance of caution due to the claims of potential harm to patients, but bring some good arguments" it wouldn't have raised such a stink.

I think it's cool that the nurses got 50k to split from a GoFundMe at least. I hope plaintiff's counsel gets sanctioned.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It also seems likely that the outrage made the judge back down and it wouldn't have been a one day order otherwise. Nothing has actually changed since he made the order

Devor posted:

I think it's cool that the nurses got 50k to split from a GoFundMe at least. I hope plaintiff's counsel gets sanctioned.
Did ThedaCare actually ask for the bizzaro injunction or did the judge pull it out of his rear end?

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nonexistence posted:

We have an estate planning thread here with good resources

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989734&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

In general I tell people if their net worth is above their state's small administration cutoff, they're better off from both a cost and safety perspective with a trust. Beats me what that is in Oregon, but if net worth is more than $100k it's probably over it.

Thank you, goon sir. In Oregon that’s $75k in liquid cash and investments and $225k or $250k in real estate.

I told my parents this when they came by today and they received it well. They asked me what they need to do to get the ball rolling, and I told them to find an attorney in our town that does estate planning, wills, and probate. They said they will do it. We’ll see.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Foxfire_ posted:

It also seems likely that the outrage made the judge back down and it wouldn't have been a one day order otherwise. Nothing has actually changed since he made the order

Did ThedaCare actually ask for the bizzaro injunction or did the judge pull it out of his rear end?

Thedacare originally asked for no new hires by ascension, an order that ascension stop poaching their employees, and that the current 7 couldn't start there unless two were provided to thedacare along with 24/7 oncall. The temp order, as reported, only gave them one tech and 24/7 on call support. However that never actually happened as the judge wiped that away yesterday.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
What's the deal with the police releasing video of people confessing to crimes? If they release video of me confessing, are there grounds for a discrimination charge since not everybody's confession is released?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not a question about conveyancing, but a question about conveyancers. I'm in England.

I'm using one at the moment for a house sale and purchase. They are awful - ignore multiple emails and calls, don't update us, take their time with everything, and the only way I can actually speak to them is if I call their boss after a week of ignored attempts at communication. Everybody tells me this is normal and to be expected. I looked up my emails from when I last did this and the same thing happened with an entirely different firm, 10 years ago.

My questions are how universal is this? And why does this happen? I feel as though if I ignored customer communication even half as much as this I'd get fired - and rightly so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A week isn’t a long time in many contexts

What are you expecting. Not rhetorical , what are expecting really .

Also you aren’t a customer you are a client

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

euphronius posted:

Also you aren’t a customer you are a client

Semantics. He’s paying for a service.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Incorrect. Also accusing a lawyer of “semantics” lol that is literally our job

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You are paying your conveyencer for admin, searches, and review of documents. That's all stuff that just takes as long as it takes. Your conveyencing fee absolutely does not cover time on the phone with a solicitor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FrozenVent posted:

Semantics. He’s paying for a service.

It isn’t just semantics. There are different responsibilities that a lawyer owes a client that someone in a customer/merchant relationship does not. A merchant just has to essentially make sure that the good they’re selling is fit for the particular purpose, is free from defects, and provide whatever warranty is required under law or the purchase agreement.

A lawyer-client relationship carries a great deal more duties on behalf of the attorney.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also a lawyer can have a client and the client pays no money for the services

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Not a question about conveyancing, but a question about conveyancers. I'm in England.

I'm using one at the moment for a house sale and purchase. They are awful - ignore multiple emails and calls, don't update us, take their time with everything, and the only way I can actually speak to them is if I call their boss after a week of ignored attempts at communication. Everybody tells me this is normal and to be expected. I looked up my emails from when I last did this and the same thing happened with an entirely different firm, 10 years ago.

My questions are how universal is this? And why does this happen? I feel as though if I ignored customer communication even half as much as this I'd get fired - and rightly so.

It all depends on the context and I have no idea what's rationa or normal for a solicitor's firm in England.

What I can say doing criminal work as a public defender in America, there are some calls I have to make as legal duties and other calls that are handholding, and I don't always have time for handholding on an immediate basis. I return calls as soon as I can, which is not always the next business day, especially if I'm in the jail all day (where there's no access to cellphones) or in court all day (again where there's no access to cellphones). Lawyers have *duties*, actual binding legal obligations on their time, and sometimes duties to the court or other clients control what we can and can't do with our time.

If you're my client and you have a court date coming up or if there's actually been an update in your case, you'll get a call. If I don't have any news for you though you'll get a return call when I have time. I'm not here to make you happy or satisfied, I'm here to get the best result I can for all of my clients, and sometimes my duty to other clients means I can't spare time to make you feel better.

Also sometimes I'm shitposting on the internet

That said the english bar is weird and my dim and distant understanding is that they're a fairly restricted profession and do what they want when they want to do it. That's mostly based on Bleak House tho so probably out of date!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 26, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i am unaware of anyone in the united states who has ever been satisfied with the customer service of their real estate firm when they buy a house, because it's a low-margin commodity business

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

pseudanonymous posted:

There's 100 lbs of meat we got from hunting too.

Don't forget an entire wagon full of bullets.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

evilweasel posted:

i am unaware of anyone in the united states who has ever been satisfied with the customer service of their real estate firm when they buy a house, because it's a low-margin commodity business

And probably because real estate agents have carved out a non-value added niche protected by law and the incentives are totally misaligned. I.e. they are useless rent seekers and virtually everyone forced to interact with them is made forcibly aware of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean … they are providing a service lol

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

pseudanonymous posted:

And probably because real estate agents have carved out a non-value added niche protected by law and the incentives are totally misaligned. I.e. they are useless rent seekers and virtually everyone forced to interact with them is made forcibly aware of it.

Tell me about your most recent real estate transaction without telling me about your most recent real estate transaction

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

real estate lawyers are different from real estate agents

the lawyers paper the deal, do diligence, make sure all the forms get signed in the right order, etc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They draft the deed, title search, clearing impairments on the title!!!

Big time stuff

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If we're talking semantics, I don't believe the person I'm dealing with is a solicitor. They work for a solicitors firm, but the job titles I've seen on emails suggest that there are separate solicitors and conveyancers.

Client/customer - sure, whichever you prefer or think applies. When I used customer, I was referring to my work (professional services, but not legal) where we happily use them interchangably.

In terms of what I expect - I don't expect handholding, regular calls, constant communication. At the start of the process they did some of that and it was appreciated but not expected. I'm talking more along the lines of if they say they have something ready and will send it by the end of the week, the by the end of the week after haven't done so, then don't respond to emails or voicemail for a further week asking when we can expect to receive it. If this happened once I'd think differently, but through communication with both our buyer and our seller we can see our conveyancer hasn't responded to stuff they've sent in weeks, or has sat on stuff for as long before taking any action.

I get that there are processes that unavoidably take time, and maybe I've not managed to articulate elements so well but there are also times when you can see that someone has just not taken any action.

The reason I bothered asking about it was because when I speak of this experience to friends & colleagues they describe the same frustrations when they've gone through the process in different cities with different firms. Essentially this:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That said the english bar is weird and my dim and distant understanding is that they're a fairly restricted profession and do what they want when they want to do it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Since were on real estate is it possible to get a contract that holds the seller accountable for X years for major repairs if they insist on skipping inspections? The new trend in my area is to list homes with NO INSPECTIONS and refuse to budge on that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Azuth0667 posted:

Since were on real estate is it possible to get a contract that holds the seller accountable for X years for major repairs if they insist on skipping inspections? The new trend in my area is to list homes with NO INSPECTIONS and refuse to budge on that.

Maybe, but that’s not what those sellers/buyers are doing.

Because interest rates have been at zero, there is a lot of corporate and investor money pouring into real estate. These buyers don’t care about perfect and are just buying as much as possible, doubling rents, and collecting checks.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm in Australia and my conveyancer was loving terrible, fwiw. Mainly it was missing poo poo in the contract they shouldn't have, but I also dealt with a different person just about every time which didn't help when I'd ask for updates on whatever the last person had discussed with me. I assume it's partly due to high workload, partly due to the kind of people who are drawn to working in "real estate".

E: the dude I bought my house from was also really difficult, to be fair. But the contract poo poo they still should have picked up.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 27, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Azuth0667 posted:

Why would someone agree to that after being able to get away with telling you no inspections?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

Why would someone agree to that after being able to get away with telling you no inspections?

Also, this. No one listing a house as "cash only, no inspections" is giving any warranties. These houses still sell within days of hitting the market.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Azuth0667 posted:

Not a lawyer, but as others have said, you're simply not going to get them to agree to that. I guarantee they would be more willing to let you do inspections than to get them to warranty anything. Frankly you can can put just about anything you want in a purchase contract, and most of what you can think of is likely binding, but the simple truth is if the market is strong enough for them to get offers that waive inspections, you'll never find a seller who's going to agree to some weird contingencies.

Might be able to get them to pay for a 3rd party home warranty, but those are barely worth the paper they're printed on.

All that said, disclosures are usually required and legally binding, depending on your state. Sellers aren't allowed to lie on them, but the issue is you'd need to prove that the problem existed prior to closing AND the seller knew (or should have known) about it. Not a simple task.

edit:

Don't waive inspections without knowing what you're getting in to. You might have to make a higher offer, but skipping inspections could end poorly for you. This is the biggest purchase of your life, you don't want to close and find tens of thousands of immediately necessary repairs. There's a house-buying thread in BFC, lots of people in there have advice. Houses are money pits, pure and simple.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 27, 2022

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

socketwrencher posted:

What's the deal with the police releasing video of people confessing to crimes? If they release video of me confessing, are there grounds for a discrimination charge since not everybody's confession is released?

I actually thought the issue of selective release of video was interesting, but I guess not. Imagine the joy of having yourself captured on Youtube for the rest of eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a whole home buying thread, FYI. It's good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399