Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

fatherboxx posted:

"Smart contracts" and DAOs are so frustatingly attempts at legal contracts designed as imagined by programmers in all aspects. Their problems are evident to anyone with basic understanding of law (and its practical realization); very similar to how hard it is explaining legality (most importantly - how exactly solve issues when there is a dispute or things go to poo poo) to programmers (and programmers-turned-managers and executives) in my daily work.
Getting people to realise that "smart contracts" are at best half of what a real contract actually does is a surprisingly difficult task. It's really odd that nobody notices that every contract they ever signed has a method to modify or terminate all or some of the contract without requiring a complete new contract to be signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arquinsiel posted:

Getting people to realise that "smart contracts" are at best half of what a real contract actually does is a surprisingly difficult task. It's really odd that nobody notices that every contract they ever signed has a method to modify or terminate all or some of the contract without requiring a complete new contract to be signed.

The breaking point here is that nobody actually reads contracts that they sign anymore. Even when you're looking at a physical document in front of you (not just those user agreements on websites and programs we all skip through) those paper forms are all designed to be as impenetrable as they legally can be. So you wind up with people who, at best, half-understand what all the clauses mean, and whoever is handing the forms over probably doesn't know either and would have to pull in their manager to translate it, so they'd rather distract you with something else so you hurry up and sign.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gaius Marius posted:

Today's youth have memed the show back to popularity.

Alaois posted:

actually i think today's youth understands that better than most did!

Maybe the youths at my job are just a bunch of fuckin dipshits then

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nuns with Guns posted:

The breaking point here is that nobody actually reads contracts that they sign anymore. Even when you're looking at a physical document in front of you (not just those user agreements on websites and programs we all skip through) those paper forms are all designed to be as impenetrable as they legally can be. So you wind up with people who, at best, half-understand what all the clauses mean, and whoever is handing the forms over probably doesn't know either and would have to pull in their manager to translate it, so they'd rather distract you with something else so you hurry up and sign.
Well I read them, but... yeah :negative:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
8-Bit Guy takes a look at 8-bit Sound Digitizers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgi0A0YPXkE

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Maybe the youths at my job are just a bunch of fuckin dipshits then

There's always a disappointing amount of dipshits in every generation. My younger cousins not getting vaccinated and then getting covid, NOW, forced me to remember.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Macaluso posted:

Today's youth don't understand that the Golden Girls is one of the funniest shows to ever exist

Estelle Getty ruled, Sophia best Golden Girl.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Youtube CEO announces embrace of NFT support for it's platform

What the hell happens now?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Can I get a quote of the article, it's forcing me to turn off ad block.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

sue posted:

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said on Tuesday that the video site will be expanding in ways that can “help creators capitalize” on new technologies like NFTs. 
In her annual letter laying out the Google-owned company’s priorities, Wojcicki wasn’t specific about YouTube’s plans, but she made clear the popular video site will be playing in areas that have been heavily hyped of late.

“The past year in the world of crypto, non-fungible tokens (NFTs), and even decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs) has highlighted a previously unimaginable opportunity to grow the connection between creators and their fans,” Wojcicki wrote.
“We’re always focused on expanding the YouTube ecosystem to help creators capitalize on emerging technologies, including things like NFTs, while continuing to strengthen and enhance the experiences creators and fans have on YouTube.”
Wojcicki said YouTube has been getting inspiration from “everything happening in Web3,” a term that’s been hotly debated on Twitter and has come to represent the next evolution of the internet, involving blockchain technologies, crypto and decentralized platforms. It’s a very different world from the current internet model dominated by Google and a handful of other giant corporations over the past two decades.
YouTube is the latest social media company to adopt such futuristic language and steer its strategy around the idea of a changing digital economy. YouTube, in vague terms, is telling creators that they’ll have ways to earn money as the new model arises.
In the third quarter, YouTube ads revenue rose 43% to $7.21 billion from $5.04 billion a year ago, matching Google’s overall revenue growth. The company reports fourth-quarter earnings next week.

Is the YouTube crackdown censorship?

Wojcicki also said YouTube is planning to go deeper in podcasting, which would provide another avenue for distribution and promotion.
“As podcast usage continues to grow, we expect it to be an integral part of the creator economy,” Wojcicki wrote.
Google has been ramping up its effort to compete with TikTok in short viral videos. Wojcicki said that YouTube’s rival product called Shorts has hit “5 trillion all-time views” since it was introduced in 2020. The last time Google provided an update on usage was July 2021, when CEO Sundar Pichai said Shorts were garnering 15 billion daily views.  
Wojcicki said the company is now in the early phases of testing how shopping can be integrated with Shorts. She also wrote of YouTube’s plans to hire more people so it can provide creators with more specific details when it comes to policy violations.
Her letter closed by touching on regulation, an area of heightened importance for Google, which faces numerous investigations in the U.S. and abroad for alleged monopoly control and the spread of misinformation.
“We currently comply with regulation in countries across the globe,” Wojcicki wrote. “But we also have concerns about new regulation that could have unintended consequences that would impact the creator community, particularly around the regulation of legal speech.”

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

honestly just sounds like nothing corpospeak to placate dipshit investors who want to hear that they're paying attention to the new big fad

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, we'll see, but "we're getting inspiration from Web3 and the blockchain" seems like... nothing. Although I could see an awful attempt to monetize youtube links.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

youtube is probably the last place that would be able to take advantage of NFTs, given that half of NFT scams involve some sort of copyright infringement (still lolling at $inuyasha) and Youtube is heavy on copyright-scraping algorithms

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Getting inspiration from Web3" is definitely the giveaway that it's just empty corporate waffle because the entire 'point' (in as much as one exists outside of simply creating new financial speculation markets) of Web3 is to completely remove corporations like Youtube from the web.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The 7th Guest posted:

youtube is probably the last place that would be able to take advantage of NFTs, given that half of NFT scams involve some sort of copyright infringement (still lolling at $inuyasha) and Youtube is heavy on copyright-scraping algorithms

What happened with Inuyasha?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I assume you've already enabled all of the filter lists, including parsing and enforcing cosmetic filters?

If so, there's a custom filter that's supposed to deal with all that GDPR cookie nonsense you might want to try.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

What happened with Inuyasha?

A bunch of NFT bros figured they could get away with making Inuyasha NFTs and crypto cash because once it was on the blockchain the actual rights holders wouldn't be able to sue their asses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

A bunch of NFT bros figured they could get away with making Inuyasha NFTs and crypto cash because once it was on the blockchain the actual rights holders wouldn't be able to sue their asses.

It's not subject to copyright because you can't copy an NFT, man.

He also tried to pull the "we're all looking for the guy who did this" about who was responsible for it (it was him, he was responsible for stealing the name and likeness for the coin.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how NFT's are both "You get this specific thing only you can have" and "This isn't copyright, everything is fair use" at the same time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobjr posted:

I like how NFT's are both "You get this specific thing only you can have" and "This isn't copyright, everything is fair use" at the same time.

If you didn't want your art stolen you should have made it an NFT first.*

*this does not stop your art from being stolen and turned into an NFT without your permission.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NFT video was real good, I think the really prescient point that I will absolutely use going forward when explaining why I am against crypto/NFT's etc is that they are incapable of actually generating any new value: they are just a speculation vehicle that you invest in hoping that somebody will eventually come along and be willing to offer you more for it than what you paid. An extended game of hot potato that as icing on the cake is helping set the planet on fire faster.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ghostlight posted:

"Getting inspiration from Web3" is definitely the giveaway that it's just empty corporate waffle because the entire 'point' (in as much as one exists outside of simply creating new financial speculation markets) of Web3 is to completely remove corporations like Youtube from the web.
TBH even that level of idea is giving them too much credit. The simple question of "how?" results in screaming about governance tokens and not actually telling me where the servers will sit.

Funnily enough "where the servers will sit" tells you which giant corporations you're going to be paying.

ETA: Knowing Better's video on company towns is a real good watch.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 26, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Remember TotallyNotMark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZM_Jxj_Y5c&t=590s

Well turns out he not only got his 150+ videos back but actually got YouTube to add a new copyright rule: Toei will only copyright claim infringed products in the Japanese language. From Japan. English language content is FREED from obstruction now.

Pigs be flying

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Remember TotallyNotMark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZM_Jxj_Y5c

Well turns out he not only got his 150+ videos back but actually got YouTube to add a new copyright rule: Toei will only copyright claim infringed products in the Japanese language. From Japan. English language content is FREED from obstruction now.

Pigs be flying

:eyepop:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Holy poo poo, actually great if it stays untampered with, Toei were absolutely ridiculous with their bullshit for a while now, but better late than never.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Grouchio posted:

Pigs be flying

the basis for deciding copyright can't be protected if it's in another language has to be wild and i would really like to read how youtube concluded on that. is it explained in the video?

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2022

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Anitubers in shambles as they're forced to use dubs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the basis for deciding copyright can't be protected if it's in another language has to be wild and i would really like to read how youtube decided on that. is it explained in the video?
At the 9:50 mark. Edited link.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
If only Suede could use this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Toei got caught going behind YouTube's back to take matters into their own hands and ended up destroying their ability to do anything about foreign language usage of their material on the platform?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

So Toei got caught going behind YouTube's back to take matters into their own hands and ended up destroying their ability to do anything about foreign language usage of their material on the platform?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SREbfaeVnxU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the basis for deciding copyright can't be protected if it's in another language has to be wild and i would really like to read how youtube concluded on that. is it explained in the video?
Japan has a much narrower view of what constitutes fair use than most countries and as such Toei would not provide the justification for the infringement that would be necessary to continue the case in other legal jurisdictions, because legally for them it is not necessary to do so. As a compromise, the channel is blocked in Japan but it remains up in other copyright jurisdictions until that justification is provided and the legal dispute begins.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Scorched Spitz posted:

Anitubers in shambles as they're forced to use dubs.

lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grouchio posted:

Remember TotallyNotMark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZM_Jxj_Y5c&t=590s

Pigs be flying

loving hell Toei is psychopathic, I thought they were just clicking their automated content claim button and letting it sit at that but no there were human beings manually claiming his videos and arguing back and forth to Youtube about why his vidoes should stay down. Just loving ghoul poo poo. :psyduck: Glad he got his videos back for now outside of Japan and hopefully Toei either doesn't keep fighting or their attempts to provide justification for takedown aren't accepted by Youtube now that they actually have eyes on the situation.

Also I agree with Mark that the ultimate irony in all this is that what initially set Toei off into aggressive takedowns was their hatred of DBZA, even though DBZA - for all its faults and when it itself arguably does not fall under fair use - is the primary reason Dragon Ball remained culturally relevant in the English-speaking west. Without it there's like a decade long period between the release of the Kai dub and Battle of the Gods where there was simply nothing officially coming out of the property over here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yardbomb posted:

Estelle Getty ruled, Sophia best Golden Girl.

https://youtu.be/cRL_e94jj18

This is a video specifically about why Golden Girls resonates with its gay audience so much and includes taking about how each of the actresses supported gay rights and issues. Getty in particular was very involved from a very early moment in the movement. She was an ally before they even knew to call it an “ally”!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Grouchio posted:

At the 9:50 mark. Edited link.

Ghostlight posted:

Japan has a much narrower view of what constitutes fair use than most countries and as such Toei would not provide the justification for the infringement that would be necessary to continue the case in other legal jurisdictions, because legally for them it is not necessary to do so. As a compromise, the channel is blocked in Japan but it remains up in other copyright jurisdictions until that justification is provided and the legal dispute begins.

Thanks! I didn't know about Japan's narrow view on fair use, and what Youtube did is probably the one that makes the most sense (content restriction based on jurisdiction)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/cRL_e94jj18

This is a video specifically about why Golden Girls resonates with its gay audience so much and includes taking about how each of the actresses supported gay rights and issues. Getty in particular was very involved from a very early moment in the movement. She was an ally before they even knew to call it an “ally”!

Matt Baume's videos are all pretty good, yeah. I like the one he did on the John Waters episode of the Simpsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFbOL-rBJZ8

And these newer ones on Jim Nabors, the actor behind Gomer Pile from The Andy Griffith Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMn2gOqoJw

And Elvira:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5jcF4i3O0

Sydin posted:

loving hell Toei is psychopathic, I thought they were just clicking their automated content claim button and letting it sit at that but no there were human beings manually claiming his videos and arguing back and forth to Youtube about why his vidoes should stay down. Just loving ghoul poo poo. :psyduck: Glad he got his videos back for now outside of Japan and hopefully Toei either doesn't keep fighting or their attempts to provide justification for takedown aren't accepted by Youtube now that they actually have eyes on the situation.

Also I agree with Mark that the ultimate irony in all this is that what initially set Toei off into aggressive takedowns was their hatred of DBZA, even though DBZA - for all its faults and when it itself arguably does not fall under fair use - is the primary reason Dragon Ball remained culturally relevant in the English-speaking west. Without it there's like a decade long period between the release of the Kai dub and Battle of the Gods where there was simply nothing officially coming out of the property over here.

I wouldn't be shocked if this sets off some higher ups in Toei enough to try and make an example of his channel, but I hope they just back off for once.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Sydin posted:

I don't think so Tim.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I don't think the parody youtube dub is the reason that one of the biggest anime franchises that was formative for a generation of kids has remained culturally relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think Abridged played a big role, but even before Battle of Gods came out we still had the fighting games, Kai, and debatably Evolution at least keeping the series in peoples' minds.