Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm actually :mad: as I read that in high school and it's one of the main influences that got me into comics. Also thinking about how the Pulitzer committee changed their rules after Maus won to prevent graphic novels from winning again.

:argh:

Banning Maus is pretty loving insane, Unless I was gonna ban all comics, I can't think of saying "why don't you have this comic, when you have all these other comics?" about a book more than that one. It's not the greatest comic, (it's good) but it's the one that if the school librarian was starting a comic collection from scratch it would also be on their first order list more than probably any other comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feinstein is literally senile, I think it's very unlikely that the senate dem leadership will be content to wait till after the midterms (and their likely loss of senate control) to confirm a candidate, no matter what Feinstein says.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

Feinstein is literally senile, I think it's very unlikely that the senate dem leadership will be content to wait till after the midterms (and their likely loss of senate control) to confirm a candidate, no matter what Feinstein says.

I just think about how much money in donations the DNC can get from MSNBC viewers if they lose another Supreme Court justice.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

They could wait 9 months and still do it before midterms. I’d still rather see them not wait that long. They need to get it done in like a month. ACB was nominated and accepted in like two weeks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

well it's a good thing she holds a powerful governmental position then

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

well it's a good thing she holds a powerful governmental position then

Listen, Californians can't not vote for her in democratic primaries, because they've heard of her name and she's who we always voted for.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't think he's actually retired yet, so it might be difficult to replace him at this point.

Leperflesh posted:

Listen, Californians can't not vote for her in democratic primaries, because they've heard of her name and she's who we always voted for.

It's funny that basically the first (kind of) awesome senator we got was literally just because they were appointed by Gavin Newsome after Harris became vice president (Alex Padilla)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Neil Young is King poo poo. He went all-in on a $400 music player in 2016 because he thought streaming audio sucked rear end: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pono_(digital_music_service). He’s definitely the sort of guy who will tell someone to gently caress off for the principle of it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I just hope he'll remember a southern man don't need him around anyhow

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m watching the new Dexter show and all I can say is that it’s a show that is on Showtime

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s really striking how much more swag The Mandalorian has right now than Boba Fett.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m watching the new Dexter show and all I can say is that it’s a show that is on Showtime

I was half interested in watching it but then a guy I know who has God awful taste in movies and shows wouldn’t stfu about how great it was in one of our group chats. He’s my litmus test for movies and TV, if he thinks it’s good (he un-ironically started gushing about how great the Twilight series is once while we all just stared slack jawed at him) it’s a non-starter for me. Seems like my method is sound once again!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

I was half interested in watching it but then a guy I know who has God awful taste in movies and shows wouldn’t stfu about how great it was in one of our group chats. He’s my litmus test for movies and TV, if he thinks it’s good (he un-ironically started gushing about how great the Twilight series is once while we all just stared slack jawed at him) it’s a non-starter for me. Seems like my method is sound once again!

Dexter is currently line dancing with his cop girlfriend in a country bar after making out with ghost Deb.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

T-Square posted:

I have a semi-friend like this, his current favorite show that he praises is "This is Us".

Don't know what it's about, don't want to know what it's about.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

I have a semi-friend like this, his current favorite show that he praises is "This is Us".

I think This Is Us is the show that some guy died on because his crockpot caught on fire and he died and people flipped the gently caress out and started throwing their crock pots out and raising a stink and crock pot had to release a whole thing about it.

I know this because an ex asked me to throw my crock pot out after she watched it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, that was a big boost to Instant Pot sales if I remember correctly.

I have never watched that show and I don't want to. Friends talking about how much it makes them cry is reason enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--wait poo poo, this made a pressure cooker's sales go through the roof? I mean the Instant pot is also fine and safe and a good thing, that's just amazing though.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think This Is Us is the show that some guy died on because his crockpot caught on fire and he died and people flipped the gently caress out and started throwing their crock pots out and raising a stink and crock pot had to release a whole thing about it.

I know this because an ex asked me to throw my crock pot out after she watched it.

If I would have been on top of things and wanted to go dumpster diving in the suburbs I could have so many crock pots right now. You can clearly never have too many crock pots if you have space to store them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of crock pots I made some pretty amazing bone in thighs this week with the world's simplest recipe. Soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, onion powder. Sear the chicken off - chuck it all in on low for like 5 hours or whatever- its a crockpot. Then just pull the bones out and thicken the sauce with some cornstarch slurry.

Had it with rice and veggies for 3 nights in a row.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Do you like shows that could be dismissively referred to as "weepies" ? If so This is Us is tailor made for you.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I enjoyed my watch through of Yellowstone semi-ironically, but its new prequel 1883 is just really good outright. I could watch 10 seasons of Sam Eliot yelling at German immigrants.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I enjoyed my watch through of Yellowstone semi-ironically, but its new prequel 1883 is just really good outright. I could watch 10 seasons of Sam Eliot yelling at German immigrants.

Wait what is 1883?

Also Yellowstone was awesome

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yellowstone is just dude soap opera with a couple of compelling female characters for the wife/girlfriend to be interested in as well. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it. I kind of tend to enjoy just about all of Taylor Sheridan's shows and movies though. Dude might have some pretty set ways about how he writes his stories but he can for sure write the poo poo out of a story.

If you liked Yellowstone you should check out Mayor of Kingstown because it'll be right up your alley. Just another dude soap opera but Jeremy Renner loving crushes it - there's also a whole bunch of cross over actors from Yellowstone in it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hated every single character in Yellowstone except Jimmy but I still watched all of it so far

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I hated every single character in Yellowstone except Jimmy but I still watched all of it so far

How can someone not like rip and the old cowboy?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My wife gets Prime free for 6 months through school. I plowed through the Expanse and I just started The Boys. Anything else on there I should try to get through?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I think it says a lot about the latest Boba Fett that the latest episode was the best one and he's not even in it.

Also, last week's episode.

Bob Fett: "Hello fellow crime lords. I need your help to take down a big criminal syndicate."
Other crime lords: "No."
Boba Fett: "Okay, please don't join them though?"
Other crime lords: "Yeah I guess."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Barudak posted:

Do you like shows that could be dismissively referred to as "weepies" ? If so This is Us is tailor made for you.

I suppose.

I guess I feel like if I wanted to get horribly depressed I'd just turn on the news channel, it's not necessarily a 30-60 minute investment, and each 1-2 minute segment competes with the others to be the most terrible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird in a Blender posted:

My wife gets Prime free for 6 months through school. I plowed through the Expanse and I just started The Boys. Anything else on there I should try to get through?

Upload was fairly quick, waiting on season 2 now.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

There's two seasons of The Tick, a remake of a remake of a cartoon.

You'll know if you'll like it by two episodes in, but I loving loved Jackie Earle Haley as the villain.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You don't "get through" the Karl Urban show. You savor it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

There's two seasons of The Tick, a remake of a remake of a cartoon.

You'll know if you'll like it by two episodes in, but I loving loved Jackie Earle Haley as the villain.

I loved og Tick so I’ll give this a shot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Upload was fairly quick, waiting on season 2 now.

Upload was way better than I expected.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

You don't "get through" the Karl Urban show. You savor it.

I just saw Karl’s butt. So I’d say I’m savoring it alright.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

How can someone not like rip and the old cowboy?

Mostly it’s the murders

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

I think it says a lot about the latest Boba Fett that the latest episode was the best one and he's not even in it.

Also, last week's episode.

Bob Fett: "Hello fellow crime lords. I need your help to take down a big criminal syndicate."
Other crime lords: "No."
Boba Fett: "Okay, please don't join them though?"
Other crime lords: "Yeah I guess."

The Book of Boba Fett Presents: An Episode of the Mandalorian

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Abugadu posted:

I suppose.

I guess I feel like if I wanted to get horribly depressed I'd just turn on the news channel, it's not necessarily a 30-60 minute investment, and each 1-2 minute segment competes with the others to be the most terrible.

My wife watches This Is Us and this right here is exactly why I don't watch it. There's also some hilariously awkward attempts to dodge around the fact that it all takes place in a global pandemic, a thing that I think is going to make a lot of content from the age of COVID really painful to go back to.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait what is 1883?

Also Yellowstone was awesome

It ties into Yellowstone by being about the Dutton’s ancestors, but it’s basically a series about a wagon train from Texas to Oregon (set in 1883, obviously). The Yellowstone tie is essentially a marketing gimmick, aside from the different setting it’s radically different in tone (though it’s still all written by Taylor Sheridan).

As far as Yellowstone itself, I think the bunkhouse cowboy stuff is largely quite good, and a lot of what Kayce and John get into is also pretty fun on a “Walker Texas Ranger with 10x the budget” wavelength, but I think everything with Beth outside of her relationship with Rip just kind of sucks. She presents herself as this evil Machiavellian mastermind, but for all her poison and her bluster about how she’s going to ruin her enemies’ lives, she rarely does anything especially clever or successful. She’s just a bully, and not an especially successful one. That would be fine, but the show seems to insist that she’s smarter than that despite never offering much evidence to the contrary.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 27, 2022

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I thought that Fleabag was excellent, and liked Sneaky Pete a lot too.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'll second Fleabag, although it can be quite cringe to watch at times, but that's kind of the point of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I enjoyed Invincible on Amazon Prime but then again I loved the early comics run.

Speaking of TV, I'm watching the 1982 Swamp Thing movie directed by Wes Craven on watchw.me and I am reminded of the 90's tv show version that played on USA Network. Then I got nostalgic for the USA Network in general.