Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTY: Sammy Guevara vs. Cody Rhodes, AEW Dynamite 1/26

What a loving match. Nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Orange Cassidy vs. Adam Cole in a Lights Out Match - AEW Dynamite Beach Break 1/26

Really, really fun match though the structure got a little weird at points. Loved the ending though.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Orange Cassidy vs. Adam Cole in a Lights Out Match - AEW Dynamite Beach Break 1/26

Really, really fun match though the structure got a little weird at points. Loved the ending though.

Nth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

nth

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jerusalem posted:

Really enjoyed it overall.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I'll nth this

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Cody Rhodes (C) vs. Sammy Guevara for the TNT Championship - AEW Dynamite Beach Break 1/26

Crazy poo poo, right on the borderline of a MOTYC if I wasn't so busy screaming at them not to be loving idiots and stop trying to kill each other.

Jerusalem posted:

Nth to both of these.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Dynamite 1/26

MOTY: Sammy Guevara vs. Cody Rhodes (C) For the TNT Championship
HM: Orange Cassidy vs. Adam Cole, Lights Out

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

nth. great fun.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Testekill posted:

MOTYC: Cody Rhodes vs Sammy Guevara, AEW Dynamite: Beach Break, 1/26

Jerusalem posted:

nth, two loving excellent matches but that first one, jesus christ

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

On my deathbed, my lungs burning from the blasted hellscape Earth has become, my final words will be "remember that cutter Sammy Guevara hit on Cody Rhodes from a ladder... dope."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Agree with this, I really enjoyed the finish.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 1/26

Seconded

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

On my deathbed, my lungs burning from the blasted hellscape Earth has become, my final words will be "remember that cutter Sammy Guevara hit on Cody Rhodes from a ladder... dope."

"The Cross Rhodes from midway up the ladder was also loving insane," I'll gasp as I lose a battle with a raccoon over a small, muddy pool of water.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 1/26

Nth

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HM: "Maze" vs "Gaia Terra". The Masked Wrestler S2E1, January 26.

Super fun first round match in IWTV's wrestling gameshow. The format is a bit gimmicky, but the match was solid and technical.

(for the benefit of anyone keeping score the loser unmasks at the end of the match, so we know that Gaia Terra is Janai Kai. Will come back and post the other competitor's name when we find it out)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Cody Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Beach Break, 26/01
HM: Chris Jericho/Santana/Ortiz vs. 2.0/Daniel Garcia, AEW Beach Break, 26/01
HM: Adam Cole vs. Orange Cassidy, AEW Beach Break, 26/01

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

best ladder match I ever saw. Unreal. Nth.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

nth

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Rarity posted:

nthing all of these. Dynamite of the year so far

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MOTYC: Cody Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Beach Break, 1/26
HM: Chris Jericho/Santana/Ortiz vs. 2.0/Daniel Garcia, AEW Beach Break, 1/26
MOTYC: Adam Cole vs. Orange Cassidy, AEW Beach Break, 1/26

Cody vs Sammy is one of the greatest AEW matches ever and one of the greatest ladder matches ever, what a freaking show those two put on.

The 6 man tag was super fun and got a bump up thanks to the friction between Jericho and PnP.

I think I liked the lights out match more than most, it just really clicked for me. OC showed more of that aggressive side that's been popping up since he yelled at Statlander, Cole came across as an actual psychopath at times, and OC being smart enough to wear a cup was great and retroactively makes all those nut shots worth it. Fun way to debut Danhausen, great handling of the interference spots (they all happened in a cluster and had no relevance on the match itself, but everybody still came out to help their buddies), and the deadly hug to finish things was amazing.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
VoW's #11-25 are up now. https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2022/01/27/vow-2021-match-of-the-year-25-11/

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 1/26

nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
5th January
Big Japan Ikkitousen Strong Climb 2022 Night 1
Ikkitousen Strong Climb A Block
Kota Sekifuda vs Yuji Okabayashi

First match of the tournament sees the Junior champ go up against the new Strong Heavyweight champ, the legend that is Okabayashi. You can guess the type of match, Kota is bullied around & is working from underneath throughout, but it's a very good one of those.

MOTYC
5th January
Big Japan Ikkitousen Strong Climb 2022 Night 1
Ikkitousen Strong Climb A Block
Hideyoshi Kamitani vs Takuya Nomura
Takuya Nomura is the best wrestler you probably don't watch, because of course you don't watch Big Japan, it's a poorly booked nightmare of a company. It makes you long for Gedo & Togo. If Big Japan had booked New Japan for the last 15 years Okada would have had 3 runs with the top belt for a combined time of about 1 year and he'd constantly be made to look like a bitch compared to the NJ Dads.

Anyway, this is primo BJW Strong stuff, the reason why you deal with the bad booking & refusal to get anyone new over. They stiff the hell out of each other infront of 100 people & throw Big suplexes & it rules.

You can watch the show the matches are from here. Sekifuda vs Okabayashi starts at around 1 hour 19 mins if I remember right. The video is kind of janky at times & even loses sound at some point near the climax of the main event but still great

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've only got 3 shows on my to-watch list & next week is pretty chill too so I've got a list of the top 20 matches on Cagematch that I haven't seen from this month and am going to go through that. Need to find a good source for lucha recommendations.

Anyway, first couple

MOTYC
21st January
ACTION Wrestling Southeast First
IWTV Independent Wrestling World Title
Alex Shelley vs AC Mack

Borderline of HM & MOTYC but the way they crowd got into this in the backhalf has me giving it the nod. Never seen Mack before, think that Shelley good job really getting the crowd behind him 100%. The match itself is pretty straightforward and simple but that is no bad thing. A lot of the match is built around a simple nerve hold that immobilises Mack's left arm.

MOTYC
8th January
IMPACT Wrestling Hard To Kill
ROH World Title
Jonathan Gresham vs Chris Sabin

What you expect it to be it is. That's no bad thing.

HM
8th January
IMPACT Wrestling Hard To Kill
JONAH vs Josh Alexander

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Penta El Zero M vs. Wheeler Yuta - AEW Dark 1/25

This could have easily been a nothing match, but instead both guys went hard and it absolutely ruled.

2nd this

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NOAH Higher Ground January 27th
MOTYC
Go Shiozaki vs Takashi Sugiura
- If you saw their 5 star match from December 2020 you know what to expect, except this time they didn't feel the need to go 50 minutes. Fantastic stuff, although the degree Go's arms are already wrapped up is worrying, dude only came back last month

HM
Kongoh (Kenoh, Manabu Soya and Masakatsu Funaki) vs M's Alliance (Naomichi Marufuji, Masato Tanaka and Masaaki Mochizuki)
- A great showcase of Kongoh's newest member against his old stable

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
MLW AZTECA #4 - 1/27/22

HM:
AAA Mega Championship
El Hijo del Vikingo (c) vs Aramis

I've been critical of MLW's underdelivery of Azteca, but they managed to put together a fun AAA title defense by two great breakout lucha stars. Midway through, Vikingo pulls off a dangerous spot that I don't think I've ever seen in wrestling, which is par for the course for him at this point.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Penta El Zero M vs. Wheeler Yuta - AEW Dark 1/25

This could have easily been a nothing match, but instead both guys went hard and it absolutely ruled.

nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

NOAH Higher Ground January 22nd

HM

Nioh vs Haoh
- I absolutely loved this, you could feel the hate flowing as these long time tag partners beat the holy hell out of each other

M's Alliance (Naomichi Marufuji and Masato Tanaka) vs Sugiura-gun (Takashi Sugiura and Kazushi Sakuraba)
- Cannot go wrong with these four. Sugi and Tanaka beat the poo poo out of each other, Saku was his usual wily self, and Marufuji was the glue holding it together

Kenoh (c) vs Masakatsu Funaki - GHC National Championship
- Short and brutal, both guys got to throw some hard shots and showed off some cool grappling. And the post-match, talk about a shock

All this, a +1. Haoh vs Nioh was great, watch it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
HM
INTERIM SUPER ASIA CHAMPIONSHIP

Choun Shiryu (c) VS Baliyan Akki

ChocoPro #197 29/01/2022 (JST)

A very good match where the fighters really pushed themselves and built nicely to the conclusion.

Lacked any real rooting interest though so things were a little off.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Last post about the VOW matches poll - you can find #1 here, as well as links to the rest of the top ten.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Jon Moxley vs. Anthony Bowens - AEW Rampage 1/28

Another example of Bowens' incredible growth, and of course Mox being loving incredible as always.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jerusalem posted:

Another example of Bowens' incredible growth, and of course Mox being loving incredible as always.

nth

i want bowens to get the tnt title for a bit eventually

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed all around. Nth.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

nth

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Private Party vs Jurassic Express, 1/28 RAMPAGE

Thought this was by far the match of the night. Some crazy stuff in this match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Private Party vs Jurassic Express, 1/28 RAMPAGE

Thought this was by far the match of the night. Some crazy stuff in this match.

I'll second that, was a wild ride from start to finish (and in the pre-match promo and the post-match stuff).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus vs. Private Party, AEW Beach Break Championship Friday, 28/01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HM: FTR w/ Tully vs Brock Anderson & Lee Johnson w/ Arn, 29/1* Rampage

*NZ Time. You're living in the past!