Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Everett False posted:

I would love that Excel dress but alas, I am fat as hell and I can tell that ain't happening.

They got rid of the 256 column limit in 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Powered Descent posted:

You know, LibreOffice is almost as good as HEY WAIT COME BACK, WHAT DID I SAY
We switched to that for the "lesser" people to use (aka everyone but admin and a few others) because they didn't want to pay for licenses. If you're going to use free poo poo can't you at least use Open Office ya assholes?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A family member got a contractor hired for them to compile survey data taken in excel into final reports

As it turns out, this contractor doesn't actually know how to use excel. And I don't mean doesn't know how to do macros or why xlookup or indexmatch, I mean does not understand that you can copy cells to other cells in excel.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

We switched to that for the "lesser" people to use (aka everyone but admin and a few others) because they didn't want to pay for licenses. If you're going to use free poo poo can't you at least use Open Office ya assholes?

Yeah, nah, unless they are existing in maybe 2014 or so.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, nah, unless they are existing in maybe 2014 or so.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/
Well color me stupid, but Libre functions like poo poo. Knowing my workplace, it wouldn't surprise me if we were working from an older version and they haven't/won't update to a new one.

We still have people using WordPerfect, lol.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Well color me stupid, but Libre functions like poo poo. Knowing my workplace, it wouldn't surprise me if we were working from an older version and they haven't/won't update to a new one.

Libre works fine for me - the suite I find more obnoxious is usually actual MS Office. Then again, I've been using the suite from way back in the original OpenOffice days in part because it did some of the stuff I needed so much better than Office itself did.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
My work now has a literal open door policy. So now if we are in the office we have to literally keep our doors open.

And I can think of at least 2 other people who I've never seen wear masks. So now I have to wear a mask all the time just to sit alone in my office :bang:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Stick a big fan in the door pointing out to blow the covid away.

Then go work from home or your car in the parking lot.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Barudak posted:

A family member got a contractor hired for them to compile survey data taken in excel into final reports

As it turns out, this contractor doesn't actually know how to use excel. And I don't mean doesn't know how to do macros or why xlookup or indexmatch, I mean does not understand that you can copy cells to other cells in excel.

I used to work with a young guy w/ background including logistics for military, BS in a math-heavy field, requires data manipulation on daily basis and very light coding (more scripting).

I gave him a few csv files that I needed reduced, duplicates removed, and sorted by XYZ. About 4 hours later I realized I'd forgotten about him and went to check. He'd given up. I sat over his shoulder to walk him through this task. He was all over the place with the mouse, just moving it around lightning fast clicking random cells. It was clear he'd never seen Excel before. Said "I'm more used to a mac". I'm pretty sure spreadsheets have been available on non-pcs since before he was born. Plus he'd been working with us for a year where those not a mac in the building. He had a degree from a UC school in a technical field. Just getting him to copy files from one text file into excel was painful and so so bad.

He's working for a defense contractor now.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I do not how to use excel but I can at least do this. I really need to learn how to just for recipe layout.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Ebola Roulette posted:

My work now has a literal open door policy. So now if we are in the office we have to literally keep our doors open.

And I can think of at least 2 other people who I've never seen wear masks. So now I have to wear a mask all the time just to sit alone in my office :bang:

This falls under "rules you just completely ignore." .

You just keep closing the door, then wait for someone to call you out on it. They probably never will.

And if they do, go ahead and comply, but start opening their doors when they close them to have private meetings, as you know they will. OPEN DOOR POLICY, YUK YUK.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
One office I was in had open door policy that was ignored, this pissed off the CEO enough that we came in one Monday to find all the small office doors removed, but hinges left on the door frames... It was a real rear end in a top hat move.

Eventually the office moved to open floor plan and only the Execs had offices, of which the doors were reinstalled, reinforce d and had locks added for "company security" or some bullshit.

Also what's the point of having a giant glass wall for "transparency" when they tint the entire loving thing AND add blackout curtains so the CEO can pretend to be in meetings all day. Execs are in the office like 20% of the time if that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Whenever someone tells me they've never used excel I have a little crack-ping. It's like hearing a 40 year old say they've never seen the ocean or had sex or killed a man just to see what it felt like.

Excel4Lyfe

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

pumped up for school posted:

He was all over the place with the mouse, just moving it around lightning fast clicking random cells.

Flailing the mouse around is the mechanical equivalent of “oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers.”

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Flailing the mouse around is the mechanical equivalent of “oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers.”

um excuse me it also could mean that they have a debilitating long form habit from playing diablo 2 for literal years

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Slotducks posted:

um excuse me it also could mean that they have a debilitating long form habit from playing diablo 2 for literal years

Not mutually exclusive

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

um excuse me i can type soj 4 ral faster than u can and i learned how to program a bot at age 12 thanks to diablo 2

edit: moo moo mooo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

for nine years (within the last decade, to be clear) I used WP 5.1 to create all the company’s reports. I’d sometimes go through half a ream of paper in a day

the keystrokes for setup became so familiar that I still repeat them in my dreams

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Specific program usage aside, everyone should know the basics, like copy and paste which are pretty much universal. Especially if your direct job requires computer usage, like at all.

Simple things like that must just be assumed and never trained, must be how these folks slip through the cracks.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
every time i make a mistake with number my boss yells at me because he says you can't go back and edit excel

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

Simple things like that must just be assumed and never trained, must be how these folks slip through the cracks.
I've been trying to work with a crop of new hires, 20 years younger than me, and his article spoke to me.

https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z

All of our work software is based on incremental updates from when it originated in the 80s. Or competitor that came out in the 90s. Nothing is new. Everything is classic folder/subfolder/sub-subfolder for processed data. And our new folks just ... don't think that way.

My boss called me screaming about how no one ever "looks up stuff on the server anymore." Well yeah. Because what they're looking for is nested deeper than a barn rat in December.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
HR, GM, sub manager, leads all ignored my emails asking what the covid protocal is when im symptomatic and waiting on a covid test. Both tests(one rapid on my dime so I can find out sooner so i can go back to work whats wrong with me) came up negative so I went back after 4 days. Then they told me I had gained 2 attendance points for missing 2 days. Notice going in soon. No one said anything about 2 weeks though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

interwhat posted:

HR, GM, sub manager, leads all ignored my emails asking what the covid protocal is when im symptomatic and waiting on a covid test. Both tests(one rapid on my dime so I can find out sooner so i can go back to work whats wrong with me) came up negative so I went back after 4 days. Then they told me I had gained 2 attendance points for missing 2 days. Notice going in soon. No one said anything about 2 weeks though.

Hit send at 9:01 and give them five minutes' notice, should be enough time to get out of the building and never look back.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Outrail posted:

Hit send at 9:01 and give them five minutes' notice, should be enough time to get out of the building and never look back.

That's what im thinking, but it's a little more complicated. The whole facility is surrounded with barbed wire and requires clearance from manager to security to get a non company vehicle in and out. I have about 600-700 pounds of tools + toolbox I have to get out of there, probably close to $40,000 worth of my career instruments. They've refused entry to local police, and a Snap-On guy trying to repo a toolbox some mush mouth stopped paying on. I fully expect games to be played, so I'm probably forced to play ball a little bit. I'll try to leave it open ended, like, hey here's my two weeks, can you let security know I'll come by one day this week to move my box, but I'm not sure about my transport's availability, and just roll that day. Definitely going to burn my remaining vacation and sick time before I go.

Folks remember, if an employer in your industry promises poo poo no one else does, it's for sure going to come at a price, and you're most likely not gonna like it.

Edit: also, if 6am shift start plus a 1 hour commute seems rough, can confirm.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Serious question: Does one give notice via the company email or is it safer to print out and hand to several managers/hr? This idiot company, I really want to name them but I signed an arbitration agreement and they seem super sketch, has over 20,000 employees and some people in various departments email the entire staff about issues they need handled(like where is stock number blah blah, it's showing your location). Potentially, I could email everyone my notice? lol

Edit: gently caress it, hint: stock price was recently cut in half after the CEO's father sold off $39Billion in shares, as well as a known felon, and they are wrecking the used car market.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 28, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Cthulu Carl posted:

They should just show up at the old hospital, clock in, then get comfy in the break room and not do poo poo.
Company I worked for once lost 90% of their business due to being kicked out of the airport for repeated safety violations. News broke that in 3 months time all of the rampers would be out of a job. They didn't want to stick around for 3 months with a failed company so a lot of them quit. The ones that hadn't quit just wouldn't show up anymore because they knew every shift would be an understaffed nightmare. No new hires were coming and they weren't getting paid more for all the increased work.

Some of them got hired by other companies without quitting and would put on one safety vest, clock in, then change vests and go work for the other company, come back to clock out. Get paid by 2 companies. The company being kicked out of the airport didn't find out until the contract ended and apparently more than one employee who shouldn't have a valid security badge (but still did because they worked for another company) were still somehow coming over and clocking in.

I totally agree with them doing it. That company cheated us all on payroll.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I think I may have to dump my brown ale because I underpitched my yeast. Didn't realize British ale yeast had weaker diastatic power. I told my nosses and they were understanding and didn't yell at or belittle me. WTF?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

interwhat posted:

Serious question: Does one give notice via the company email or is it safer to print out and hand to several managers/hr?

I think my current and last job had something you were supposed to submit via something Workday-esque. That being said, sending it via email to your manager, grand boss, and HRBP (maybe CC your own personal email address too if that won’t run afoul of any policies) should be more than enough from a legal standpoint - everything should be on a retention policy.

Of course, this is the “dumb poo poo your work does” thread, so who knows if your 20,000 employee company has any of those things. If you’re really concerned about potential fuckery, there’s always certified mail.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think my current and last job had something you were supposed to submit via something Workday-esque. That being said, sending it via email to your manager, grand boss, and HRBP (maybe CC your own personal email address too if that won’t run afoul of any policies) should be more than enough from a legal standpoint - everything should be on a retention policy.

Of course, this is the “dumb poo poo your work does” thread, so who knows if your 20,000 employee company has any of those things. If you’re really concerned about potential fuckery, there’s always certified mail.

I did that at a previous job so I could maintain a paper trail because of the amount of bullshit they pulled.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

They're offering 35-49k DOE. As one comment put it: "Come own and operate a brewery with none of the benefits of actual ownership."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just gave notice to my regular FT job and my adjunct gig, both via email. Seems to work fine.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
When I resigned, my boss was out of the office, so I left all my at home equipment and badge in her office (took a picture) along with a signed copy of the resignation letter that I emailed to her, her boss, my personal email and HR with the picture attached

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This morning I noticed my work slack has a LOT of goon smilies. I wanna go around yelling SHOW YOURSELF! until I find the goon.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

wilderthanmild posted:

This morning I noticed my work slack has a LOT of goon smilies. I wanna go around yelling SHOW YOURSELF! until I find the goon.

I want someone to explain to me how you could effectively administer a slack. Explain it to me like I’m an idiot that has never slacked. We have a unauthorized one at work and I’m waiting for that to be a disaster and I’m not sure how to get it under control.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

{Orgname}->Customize {Orgname}

It opens a browser window that will take you to the place you can see/add emoji and each one shows who added it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Escape From Noise posted:

I think I may have to dump my brown ale because I underpitched my yeast. Didn't realize British ale yeast had weaker diastatic power. I told my nosses and they were understanding and didn't yell at or belittle me. WTF?

Hey I've done a little brewing myself and I think I can help you out here. Just leave the top off and it'll be a sour brown in a little while. So simple, good luck.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I always pitch my sour brown directly into the toilet.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Betty Wight posted:

I want someone to explain to me how you could effectively administer a slack. Explain it to me like I’m an idiot that has never slacked. We have a unauthorized one at work and I’m waiting for that to be a disaster and I’m not sure how to get it under control.

Well this is a fairly huge well known multinational company and apparently our slack includes such goon smilies as :eyepoop:. So apparently hands off is their approach.

Motronic posted:

{Orgname}->Customize {Orgname}

It opens a browser window that will take you to the place you can see/add emoji and each one shows who added it.

Apparently ANYONE can add them. Each goon smiley was added by different people. I wonder if they are goons or just a case of goon culture leaking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Culture leak. Goons get everywhere and we scatter our memetic baggage as we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Escape From Noise posted:

Start running.