Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So is Sue Gray holed up in a travelodge with a typewriter or something as MI5 try to locate and destroy do yous reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i was walking down the street once and i saw jremey crombin cycling on his maoist bicycle, marxistly. he was wearing a plackard that had "immigrants OUT" on one side and "gently caress THE EU" on the other. how was this man allowed to become a member of the Labour party in the first place - much less its leader - is beyond my understanding :mad:

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pistol_Pete posted:

I pretty much agree with that. If Pidcock believes the Labour Party is a dead end, then she should leave the NEC and leave the party. If she believes that it's worth staying to fight on, her duty is to stay in her position and keep working towards the left getting increased leverage in the NEC. Abandoning the NEC but staying in the party just surrenders any power for change that she does have, to no benefit.

I think folk are massively underestimating the emotional baggage that comes from being that deep in something like the Labour party. Give her some time to focus on herself and bringing up her son. She probably needs to decompress from all the bullshit before she can even start considering what she thinks again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Marmaduke! posted:

So is Sue Gray holed up in a travelodge with a typewriter or something as MI5 try to locate and destroy do yous reckon

That's just how the comedy "The Rise and fall of Bojo" is going to show it.
But its not the travel lodge. She's in no 10 Downing Street, and Boris keeps walking past the door, while having the telltale heart moment of "I can hear a typewriter somewhere."
(I know Boris lives in no 11. but I assume at least some "workW goes on in no 10...).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marmaduke! posted:

Nice try trying to get me to tweetsearch "Travelodge" again :colbert:

Grey Hunter posted:

(I know Boris lives in no 11. but I assume at least some "workW goes on in no 10...).

I think we can now definitively say that both houses are just for cake and booze orgies. If any actual "work" is done by this government it's elsewhere (underground tunnel network perhaps?)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 27, 2022

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
"stay and fight" doesn't work when the plp apparatus has- at will and with no tangible opposition- suspended/kicked out thousands of politically active leftwing members while taking further control of selection/disciplinary procedures, and the "fight" part hasn't materialised at all in the last two years while the plp secured itself to prevent another corbyn happening ever again

"stay and fight" is as meaningful as another policy relaunch direct from the sack of wet eggs himself at this point, pleasant sounding nouns without context

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think we can now definitively say that both houses are just for cake and booze orgies. If any actual "work" is done by this government it's elsewhere (underground tunnel network perhaps?)

It's a Tory government post-1983. Any work that has actually happened was done in Whitehall by the civil service.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Transport fact knowers: I saw a staff member waking through the concourse at St Pancras this morning with some large bird of prey on his arm. What’s that about? Do they have official station falconers tasked with mass slaughter of pigeons?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Emotional support kestrel.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

peanut- posted:

Transport fact knowers: I saw a staff member waking through the concourse at St Pancras this morning with some large bird of prey on his arm. What’s that about? Do they have official station falconers tasked with mass slaughter of pigeons?

I think it's just so pigeons piss off.

keep punching joe posted:

Emotional support kestrel.

They stopped giving those out, cuts.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

peanut- posted:

That's exactly right. (Although the hawks are meant to scare the pigeons away rather than actively dripping commuters with gore.)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Yum, more Operation Red Meat for Big Dog
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1486492825101426694?s=20

gently caress I hate tories so much

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Your four weeks is up, you now must apply for and accept these fictitious commission only sales jobs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sinky posted:

Rachel Reeves to criticise this for not going far enough in 3... 2... 1...

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

That's exactly right. (Although the hawks are meant to scare the pigeons away rather than actively dripping commuters with gore.)

I guess you'd kill off falcons quite quickly if they were eating London pigeons.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

IIRC they actually have a couple of birds of prey that they move around all of the big terminuses to keep the pigeons away. There's also a falconer that works for Westminster City Council to keep pigeons away from Trafalgar Square and Whitehall.

Personally I prefer the way Canary Wharf Group do it - they have roosting boxes at the very top of 1 Canada Square and a couple of other of the tall buildings and let peregrine falcons nest there, which both keeps the local pigeon population under control and also protects the falcons, because egg collectors and land owners wanting to keep pheasants alive long enough to be shot by their inbred mates are by far the worst predators of the peregrine falcon. That'll take at least two days of the eternity in hell they're going to get for every other thing they're up to, at least.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

sinky posted:

More like Operation Green Fields as they put together a plan to get everyone on benefits picking fruit and veg this summer. "Britain's back in business!" they will cry as the poorest are bussed to fields to pick turnips from dusk til dawn so they can be processed for discard at a Tory donor's warehouse with the waste shipped to Indonesia via Argentina

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Marmaduke! posted:

More like Operation Green Fields as they put together a plan to get everyone on benefits picking fruit and veg this summer. "Britain's back in business!" they will cry as the poorest are bussedexpected to drive long distances at their own expense or travel on rural public transport that doesn't exist because it wasn't profitable to pick turnips from dusk til dawn so they can be processed for discard at a Tory donor's warehouse with the waste shipped to Indonesia via Argentina

Fixed that for you

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1486632587514855424

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

sinky posted:

Depressing that even the Guardian frames benefit sanctions as "tough" rather than something more honest like "punitive" or "brutal" or "loving disgusting".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Bradford_TandA/status/1486619246146646021

quote:

" Firstly the work dried up. No one would hire me whether in front of or behind the camera, all my usual ways of making money just stopped, eventually I couldn’t afford the rent.

"So I gave up my 4 bed house and move onto my friend’s couch. I had to put all my belongings into storage. After a while I couldn’t afford to pay the storage bill and after about 4 weeks of missing the payments – equating to about £500 – Safe store UK sold all belongings.

"My sofa, my bed frame, my office equipment, desk, chair, wardrobes, mirrors, all my coats and clothes and my projector.

"Everything to fill a family house. My whole life was in that storage unit. I lost it all. I was devastated but I couldn’t ask anyone for help because it was my choice to speak out."

Ward said his car was also seized.

:allears:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Fixed that for you

Do you expect me to take the job?

No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.

Most Tory internal faction politics is about that question. Is imposed poverty:

Reverse-Marxist: functionally useful for making money

Blofeld: enjoyable (for the one doing the imposing)

Cenobite: improving.

So we won’t know which version will happen until Boris’s successor ‘emerges’.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wolfsbane posted:

Depressing that even the Guardian frames benefit sanctions as "tough" rather than something more honest like "punitive" or "brutal" or "loving disgusting".

Libs gonna lib, they're just a little more coy about their garmonbozia addiction

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wolfsbane posted:

Insert the regular comment on liberals and their preference of allies.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IIRC they actually have a couple of birds of prey that they move around all of the big terminuses to keep the pigeons away. There's also a falconer that works for Westminster City Council to keep pigeons away from Trafalgar Square and Whitehall.

Personally I prefer the way Canary Wharf Group do it - they have roosting boxes at the very top of 1 Canada Square and a couple of other of the tall buildings and let peregrine falcons nest there, which both keeps the local pigeon population under control and also protects the falcons, because egg collectors and land owners wanting to keep pheasants alive long enough to be shot by their inbred mates are by far the worst predators of the peregrine falcon. That'll take at least two days of the eternity in hell they're going to get for every other thing they're up to, at least.

My Uni used to get falconers in a few times a year to scare off the seagulls before they started nesting then stopped to save money so now all our roofs have nesting seagulls and they get incredibly territorial and divebomb students and staff if you walk past.

e: Croydon council is *hilariously* awful https://www.croydon.gov.uk/sites/de...ls%20260122.pdf

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 27, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

good

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
My hospital has a falconer who comes to visit, drives up with his falcon in a van and lets it fly around. It's such a beautiful bird up close, he let me have a look at him. :) One of those jobs you never think about, but by the looks of things there are a fair few of them. I wonder how you even get started?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

Early this morning the BBC subheading on this story read as "Jobseekers on Universal Credit will have to look for jobs outside their chosen field more quickly or face sanctions, under new government plans to get more people back into work." Those last seven words have now gone. Guess they only lick boot when they think master is looking at the moment.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Isomermaid posted:

My hospital has a falconer who comes to visit, drives up with his falcon in a van and lets it fly around. It's such a beautiful bird up close, he let me have a look at him. :) One of those jobs you never think about, but by the looks of things there are a fair few of them. I wonder how you even get started?

Need to be a Knight to own a falcon pal. You'd probably need to settle for a buzzard or a crow.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
IM not so H Opinion:

Two of the best ways they could get people back to work are:

1) remove the stupid AI systems that sift applications that weed out anyone with a degree higher than Batchelors, anyone who has a non-linear career, anyone who has been out of the job market for whatever reason (travel, caring responsibilities etc), anyone who doesn't put the right keyword in their application.

2) remove HR departments from the selection process though they can do all the collection of applications and taking up of refs etc - because in my experience they are pretty clueless about what a department manager actually needs

(source: me trying to recruit people and HR would not pass me all the decent people because (a) they were a bit geeky and didn't put 'team work' on their applications and (b) HR assumption that 'must be able to create database queries, import data, error trap' = 'has used a form someone else created in access but has no concept of the underlying data tables, queries etc')

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmaowned.

What kinda name is "Telegraph and Argus" tho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bangor (the one in Wales):

quote:

World’s first openly non-binary mayor joins Breakthrough Party
January 27 2022 by Jackson Caines
The Mayor of Bangor, Owen Hurcum, has announced that they have joined the Breakthrough Party.

Hurcum, 24, is the first openly non-binary mayor of any city world-wide and the youngest person in history to hold a mayoral position in Wales. Previously a member of Plaid Cymru, they resigned from the party in March 2021 due to concerns around transphobia and have since sat on Bangor Council as an independent.

etc

https://breakthroughparty.org.uk/news/worlds-first-openly-non-binary-mayor-joins-breakthrough-party/

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Anyone else had a call from the firm taking on the labour party data breach case? It looks like they’re pursuing it from a personal injury standpoint of ‘anxiety caused’ which seems dumb to me but i know nothing about law

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Isomermaid posted:

My primary school had a falconer come by once to talk to us about the job and show off the birds. I don't remember any of the career advice, but everyone remembers the local gulls making a really weird call in the universal gull language before they darkened the sky and the falcon fled for its life. They found the poor thing hours later hiding in some toilets on the beach.

More seriously you join the falconry society, pester people for advice and potential mentorship, demonstrate that you have permission and ability to access appropriate countryside hunting grounds every day throughout autumn and winter, then you can start training a Harris hawk. After that all the other stuff comes through falconry society contacts and building connections with local schools and businesses, with most of that work in summer months when the birds are moulting and not in proper flight condition. You'd get government work through society references I imagine.

keep punching joe posted:

Need to be a Knight to own a falcon pal. You'd probably need to settle for a buzzard or a crow.

You don't own crows, they just decide you're their friend one day

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Isomermaid posted:

So you met a falconer, but instead of asking him how to get started on that career path, you came to the real fountain of truth? :thunk:

Kidding aside, I bet it's exactly one of those jobs where you need apprenticeship with someone with experience. Background with animals and other personal qualities probably help.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I was at a falconry demo and the trainer opened by saying "X here is not your friend. There is no concept of friendship in its brain. It only obeys you because you bring it food."

Words to live by.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Z the IVth posted:

I was at a falconry demo and the trainer opened by saying "X here is not your friend. There is no concept of friendship in its brain. It only obeys you because you bring it food."

Words to live by.

Boris Johnson was there?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

bollocks i've seen Kes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Juche Couture posted:

Anyone else had a call from the firm taking on the labour party data breach case? It looks like they’re pursuing it from a personal injury standpoint of ‘anxiety caused’ which seems dumb to me but i know nothing about law

i used to have anxiety about it but then the data breach happened and i mysteriously stopped getting begging emails to come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Z the IVth posted:

Words to live by.

when I was a kid we went to a falconry display on a really hot day - the birds did not want to perform. The falconer was a broken man, and made lots of comments like that.
Especially when one of the birds slow walked back across a field rather than fly. "Come on you stupid bird, these people came to see a falcon, not a turkey!" has always stuck in my mind. Another took roost in the shade of a tree. He just sighed and said "right, I'll get her later when she's hungry." and just got the next bird out.