Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Okay, the weirdest loving thing just happened:

Quick setup: we have one of those Roku boxes where you can watch streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and whatnot. Well, like twenty minutes ago, a family member starts up an app that plays news stories (called NewsOn), and like with most of the free apps, it plays an ad before the content in question.

Instead of playing an ad, though, it played the Mannrobics video. I know that sound loving crazy, but there was a message in the corner that said "Ad 1 of 1", and as soon as it was done, it started playing the local news. If it weren't for the fact that someone else was in the room who also saw it, I'd think I was losing it.

I have no idea how that kind of thing could happen, and why it was something that specific. Has anyone seen that happen before, where instead of playing an ad, it plays some random video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
An ad is just a random video that someone paid to have shown to you.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

An ad is just a random video that someone paid to have shown to you.

Okay, sure, but why was it that video in particular? I'm having an goddamn nervous breakdown about it because I can't fathom how that could have happened, and I can't replicate it to show anyone.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Someone thought it'd be funny to pay for an ad slot for a random silly video, so they did that. You don't need to be a corporation in a long-term contract to buy ads, Roku will take your money.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Someone thought it'd be funny to pay for an ad slot for a random silly video, so they did that. You don't need to be a corporation in a long-term contract to buy ads, Roku will take your money.

I see. I was also asking about this in a chat, and someone said the same, stating that you sometimes get people who buy ads to promote their tweets or whatever. If it had been something like that, I'd have thought it was strange, but I probably wouldn't have dwelt on it. The fact it was the Mannrobics video makes me think somehow the Roku was able to fetch data from my phone or computer and played that video. Alternatively, I just landed on 00 on the ad roulette and saw it, because I've not seen any other independent 'ads' like that before.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Community servers are good. Don’t play casual unless your east coast during prime hours and have enough people to kick the bots out.

I'll make sure to join Community servers only. Also I'll have to remember to limit my ping settings because apparently the game still decides to que me into matches where I would have 200 ping. I was able to mess around with one other person in a dead Mann Vs Machine server so I at least had the joy of knowing there was another human in the game that wasn't a jerk.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Max Wilco posted:

I see. I was also asking about this in a chat, and someone said the same, stating that you sometimes get people who buy ads to promote their tweets or whatever. If it had been something like that, I'd have thought it was strange, but I probably wouldn't have dwelt on it. The fact it was the Mannrobics video makes me think somehow the Roku was able to fetch data from my phone or computer and played that video.

Not directly. What may have happened is that the device is recording your interests and sending them to some analytics algorithm, and that profile was matched up to a different profile created from your activity on Youtube or Facebook or something. That data is anonymized, but pattern finding algorithms are now very sophisticated and can often figure out when two advertising analytics profiles are about the same person in spite of anonymization. This allows them to target ads based on your activity on another website.

However, I think the more likely explanation is that the Roku (or more specifically the algorithm telling it what ads to show you) detected that you like video games, or at the very least are in a demographic that is high in video game likers, and showed you that ad because it is tagged as being related to video games.

quote:

Alternatively, I just landed on 00 on the ad roulette and saw it, because I've not seen any other independent 'ads' like that before.

I imagine that has a lot to do with quantity. If someone buys ad space for a random short little funny video, they are not going to spend a lot of money on it. Thus, it won't get shown as much, and you're much less likely to see it than an ad that some corporation paid billions of dollars to have blasted to everyone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you aren't blocking every major corporation until the only ads you see are from people who paid five bucks to show you really weird stuff then what are you even doing online

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you aren't blocking every major corporation until the only ads you see are from people who paid five bucks to show you really weird stuff then what are you even doing online

Using an ad blocker so I never see any of it.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!
Having gotten incredibly sick of bots, I’ve recently moved to playing mostly on community servers. I’ve found some weird, fun game modes like Class Wars and Engineer Fortress that I’ve really been enjoying. Anyone got a favorite game mode / server they wanna turn me on to? I know Uncletopia is always good for standard gameplay, but anyone got any unusual ones?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Not really you just open crates and theres a small chance to get them

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Deathrun is fun from time to time if you aren't playing terrible maps. DR_Playstation is a favourite of mine. Deathrun minigames are fun too.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Prophunt. Look for maps starting with "ph_"

Jump maps can also be an incredible (-y frustrating) experience.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Jump maps rule and i have yet to be lucky and get a key drop for momentum mod. I cant loving wait

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

Jump maps rule and i have yet to be lucky and get a key drop for momentum mod. I cant loving wait

This might help scratch that itch in the meantime:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/626680/Kreedz_Climbing/

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is there a Discord? Any goons still playing?

I have all of an hour of gametime from back in 2010 and was going to boot it up and see if it holds up in the TYOL 2022. I haven't played really any multiplayer games since Battlefield 1 (played a little of 5, and am skipping 2042) but would love a little time waster FPS game.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there a Discord? Any goons still playing?

I have all of an hour of gametime from back in 2010 and was going to boot it up and see if it holds up in the TYOL 2022. I haven't played really any multiplayer games since Battlefield 1 (played a little of 5, and am skipping 2042) but would love a little time waster FPS game.

https://discord.gg/hRQpCWfF

Please come and make it more active! There's a lot of goons hanging around that still play and it's about time someone makes a new Lost Continent in the vein of uncletopia but less lovely maps.

edit: gently caress it, I'm thinking of creating one. Will people be interested enough for it to fill up some nights or do you think I'll be sitting alone on my 24 player server? If we get enough people and their friends to bookmark it could potentially be another great server to play on with a goon focus. No crits of course. I just fear having like 4/24 slots filled and not having fun due to the player count and matchmaking not dumping pubbies in any more. Maybe steam group announcements could help to bring people in when it seems slow, perhaps utilizing the existing LC steam group.

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 7, 2022

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

During the start of the pandemic we pinged the LCs steam group for a special one-night only event on a temporary rental server. A large number of people responded by leaving the steam group immediately.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Reiley posted:

During the start of the pandemic we pinged the LCs steam group for a special one-night only event on a temporary rental server. A large number of people responded by leaving the steam group immediately.

poo poo lol. How was the event? Also hey rally we used to play on a comp team I was anne frank.

Yeah I can't force the community of old back into existence as much as I want to so maybe a one time ping and a new group. Would just be neat is there was a semi official goon server again as you often see people in here looking for goons and non poo poo servers to play on.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A For Effort posted:

poo poo lol. How was the event? Also hey rally we used to play on a comp team I was anne frank.

Yeah I can't force the community of old back into existence as much as I want to so maybe a one time ping and a new group. Would just be neat is there was a semi official goon server again as you often see people in here looking for goons and non poo poo servers to play on.

Yooo whats good old friend!

The event was fun but we never had another one since.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I made a dumb pokemon edit on top of the classic Sniper vs Spy comic:

And it made me recall that I have been waiting for that final issue of the main comic for a loooong while -- "but how long?". Checked the site and it's been nearly five years. Holy jesus, we are so never getting it :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We will, however, get Team Fortress: Alyx some time in the 2030s when the Valve money pit needs refilling.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Saoshyant posted:

I made a dumb pokemon edit on top of the classic Sniper vs Spy comic:

And it made me recall that I have been waiting for that final issue of the main comic for a loooong while -- "but how long?". Checked the site and it's been nearly five years. Holy jesus, we are so never getting it :(

The people who worked on the comic also left Valve long ago. It's basically never coming now. :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
E: I am a goddamn idiot :smith:

There's probably an fpsbanana joke here somewhere

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 26, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
New multiclass primary looking good.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I've got an experimental 8v8 "No Fun Allowed" community server in the works: https://whitelist.tf/12397

- No random or guaranteed crits/mini-crits apart from Kritzkrieg, headshots*
- No random bullet spread
- 16 players to reduce chaos**
- No class limits***
- Fewer resistances (No right-click-for-another-life demo shields, no Vaccinator)
- No complete damage mitigation apart from an Ubered Medic or Bonked Scout (so . . . No Pyro)
- Some other restrictions of memery

Up in the air:
- Battalion's Backup (to further limit resistances)
- Natascha (I know a lot of people hate it in a movement based shooter)
- Wrangler (I'm fine with it, people hate it, but keep in mind—No Pybros)
- Fists of Steel (to further limit resistances)
- Dead Ringer (Right-click-for-another-life)
- Persistent Taunts (Idling memers isn't a big issue nowadays)

*Not blacklisting Gunslinger just to prevent crit on third punch or Sun on a Stick vs people who run into a Huo-Long or survive a Cow Mangler charge. Half-Zatoichi is always an even fight.

**This is another experiment, I personally feel the game would be better with fewer than 24 players but readily admit I could be wrong, especially in light of these other changes that I can't account for until they're tried. 10v10 could easily be a better idea.

***2 player limit on Sniper/Spy might come into play since you'd essentially be griefing your own team when there's only 8 players.

There would be an emphasis on CP, KOTH, A/D but Payload wouldn't be restricted.

Mostly interested in gauging who would play this instead of complaints from those who wouldn't, since there are plenty of other places that'll cater to you. But feel free to voice complaints anyway.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 27, 2022

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Banning weapons is one thing but banning an entire class raises some questions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can just say you hate pyro and demoknight, you don't need to make up bullshit like "i'm banning weapons so that there's less damage resistance in the game, btw i'm not banning any of the damage resistance stuff that isn't a demo shield or the vaccinator".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I hope you understand that with those choices you are catering to exactly 0 people

e: goon tf2 servers couldn't even sustain themselves without restrictions so I don't really get the gameplan here

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 27, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a little confused on no pyros, I will admit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think pyro loving sucks too but I would not go so far as to remove them from the game.

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.
Remember when Pyro actually had a disproportionately huge skill ceiling?

That was Team Fortress Classic, not TF2. It was like having to play an even more complicated combo pyro because anything else would just not do anything.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Reiley posted:

Banning weapons is one thing but banning an entire class raises some questions.
Removing crits isn't my priority, but my friends enjoy it on UT and I feel if you're going to remove random crits, let's try removing even more. Possibly even Kritzkrieg. vOv

That in mind, what primary is available to Pyro on a no random/guaranteed crit/mini-crit server?

But my main gripe isn't crits, it's the lowest skill floor in the game, especially post Jungle Inferno. They don't dominate teams, but they get more undeserved kills/survivals against individuals than any other class. You can play like a lemming and just inundate a server with bullshit.

I have ideas for changes to compression blast that would move Pyro's skill floor out of the basement but would require modding far beyond my abilities or concern when simply removing the class is easy enough.

Jabor posted:

You can just say you hate pyro and demoknight, you don't need to make up bullshit like "i'm banning weapons so that there's less damage resistance in the game, btw i'm not banning any of the damage resistance stuff that isn't a demo shield or the vaccinator".

Most people who complain about Pyro do it about poo poo like scorch shot, phlog, or afterburn, most people who hate demo knight hate getting charged AT not away from. My issue with both classes is specifically their ability to mitigate deaths with M2 so you can just admit you're a Pyro main instead of questioning motives. vOv

IronicDongz posted:

I hope you understand that with those choices you are catering to exactly 0 people

e: goon tf2 servers couldn't even sustain themselves without restrictions so I don't really get the gameplan here

Not a goon server, just letting goons know about it. I can fill the server for enough nights to get a feel for how it plays through discord. Well aware that 90% of people would have some issue or another with it in the long run, they can play on UT when/if they get bored of it. Just seeing if it's worth coming back here to let people know about it if my friends and I deem it plays well and I decide to keep it. It's fine if that ends up being "no". Pleasing everyone is literally impossible and I'm not even looking to please most. The server will be called "No Fun Allowed" in recognition of this.

The Deleter posted:

I think pyro loving sucks too but I would not go so far as to remove them from the game.

One server. Not looking to change the meta. If you think Pyro sucks, sounds like you may be interested in seeing how the game plays without them?

Girbot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 27, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Just shoot the pyro it's really easy

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Girbot posted:

That in mind, what primary is available to Pyro on a no random/guaranteed crit/mini-crit server?

The...... flamethrower? The Degreaser?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You do know pyro cant reflect hitscan right. And you can juke the airblast by jumping as a solly without firing right

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Reiley posted:

The...... flamethrower? The Degreaser?

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Compression_blast#Deflection posted:

Non-critical deflected projectiles will always turn into mini-crits

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Wait the entire problem with pyro is simply that his reflects turn into minicrits? Im pretty sure that doesnt require insane amounts of modding. I want to think heavyisgps did that with his balance mod too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why wouldn't you want pyro to get minicrits from reflecting rockets/pipes

this is some scrubquotes poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
god loving forbid soldier might ever want to reconsider shooting rockets over and over