Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Sure, those parts suck. But it's also a show that I remember fondly and makes me think of the good time of my life when it was on the air. So I forgive the mean jokes and enjoy the nostalgia trip and good laughs. Plus I have an incredible crush on 90s Lisa Kudrow.

Fun fact - Lisa Kudrow was supposed to be Roz.

They loved her. She was funny. She was a great actor. She just didn't really work with the rest of the cast. It just wasn't gelling.

They felt really bad about firing her, until the next year when she landed on her feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
When she landed the role that Dr Mary already played on Living Single!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember someone on staff (or maybe Kudrow) explaining that even though she had great comedic instincts, she just didn't come off as someone who could stand up to Frasier and take him down a peg, which totally makes sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You need a tough Roz, not a wacky Roz

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You need a tough Roz, not a wacky Roz

:hmmyes:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Back when it was on Netflix there used to be a skip intro button but like, why? It was less than five seconds and just nice as hell, perfect for setting up the mood of the episode
its a crime how these streaming services try to skip elegant intros and credits

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

KoRMaK posted:

its a crime how these streaming services try to skip elegant intros and credits
They're trying to reduce the content watch time so they can increase the advertising watch time, without hitting viewer attention span.

Me hugs my DVD collection.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.theatlantic.com/podcasts/archive/2022/01/frasier-peak-comfort-television/621331/

Podcast "The Review" did an episode about Frasier. You don't have to listen to it, the transcript is in that link.

The only two problems they have are with the treatment of Roz and the fact that there are no minorities on the show. The second one is legitimate although there is the Dr. Mary episode and also the Cam Winston bits.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 26, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked their analysis of Friends episodes being all about problems with side characters who the titular Friends meet briefly and Frasier is all about problems the main characters create themselves. Friends is a show that's all about the evil that lurks outside your door, Frasier is a show about what lurks in your heart.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

frasier is one of the few shows to give proper representation to fancy boys

dangerstepp
Apr 8, 2019
I like how the logo changes color each season.

So tasteful.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The episode where Niles runs the school assembly and lambasts FDA regulations is amazing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

https://www.theatlantic.com/podcasts/archive/2022/01/frasier-peak-comfort-television/621331/

Podcast "The Review" did an episode about Frasier. You don't have to listen to it, the transcript is in that link.

The only two problems they have are with the treatment of.Roz and the fact that there are no minorities on the show. The second one is legitimate although there is the Dr. Mary episode and also the Cam Winston bits.

I'm all for representation and I don't think it's an unfair critique (criticism feels like too strong a word), but I do feel like Frasier simply is a very white show and I'm not sure how they would've avoided that. I guess more of the side characters could've been people of color and it wouldn't have fundamentally changed the show. But the bulk of the show is taken up by Frasier's family, so that is what it is. Of course there was always the possibility of Latina Daphne, but I feel like that very easily could've turned out worse. (They sort of did that with Marta, and it wasn't awful, but it wasn't fantastically positive representation, either.)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

As the son of one, being Scouse is a minority affiliation, just less of a visible one (and much more an aural arrangement)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A mid-to-late 90s show about liberal effites in the grunge-capital of the nation, navigating the trials of day to day work life, romance, and the upper echelons of society.

We're drat lucky they didn't have, like, Marlon Wayans as the street smart, irreverent concierge.

NBC as a whole was not interested in the lives of people of Color during the Must See TV Era. They left that to FOX, UPN and the WB.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Seems like the radio station would have been the only place to put repeat characters of color or ethnic variation. Wouldn't it have looked a bit worse, though? "All Caucasian apartment but over here it's all something else" may have been interpreted as fake or forced.

Roz and some long-term station manager would have worked?

It's actually surprising one of Daphne's brothers wasn't a half brother with non-British father. The Moon family was where they dumped all the leftovers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They had an Asian woman barista for a few episodes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FilthyImp posted:

They had an Asian woman barista for a few episodes.

She is the second most commonly appearing recurring character after Gil Chesterton and never received a name.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

It's actually surprising one of Daphne's brothers wasn't a half brother with non-British father. The Moon family was where they dumped all the leftovers.

Two issues with this:

1. “Non British father” is a bit weird, lots of British people from all ethnic backgrounds

2. Would have meant more Moon family screen time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier kinda has problems in that the core cast for the most part already struck gold on the first try in concept, casting and chemistry, attempts to branch out already have an incredibly high bar to live up to.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

But it was also nominated for (and won) a boatload of awards (including one from GLAAD somehow) and became a cultural touchstone for a reason. It isn't getting memoryholed anytime soon.

It's totally fine to be a garbage person, but I don't see why you'd have to infect such a prestigious thread

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's totally fine to be a garbage person, but I don't see why you'd have to infect such a prestigious thread

Friends is good, but its no Three's Company.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just assumed they were trolling and ignored them.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im still mad that marty and cam winston's mom didn't end up together. and it was daphne's mom's fault

the moon family ruins everything

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I just assumed they were trolling and ignored them.

I'm not trolling, though? :confused: Nothing I said was a lie or meant to be bad faith or antagonistic, and I'm not trying to disrespect you in your thread or anything. I think Frasier is by far the better show and is probably one of the best sitcoms ever behind maybe only Taxi, but Friends was and still is extremely popular. The finale was the most watched television episode in the 2000s and even that lackluster Friends reunion last month was the most-watched program ever on Sky One.

Of course popularity isn't a measure of quality. I get that you don't like the show for a lot of valid reasons, and I respect that. But saying it should go into a cultural incinerator is awfully vitriolic. There were (and are) far, far more hateful shows on television than something as bubblegum as Friends was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How about you make like a Norm Macdonald sitcom and just go away

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SINCE WHEN DO I BRING YOU WOMEN? WHO ARE YOU? THE SULTAN OF BRUNEI?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

There's gonna be an even worse Frasier reunion lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I hope Kelsey just comes back as his character from Money Plane.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Frasier (Tom) Kane!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Dammit, the end of Mamma Mia gets me every time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Dr. Frasier (Tom) Kane!

Everyone ought to watch Boss. So tragically cut short because it was on stupid Starz network, but it was a great show

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Boss really kind of missed the moment, if it had started only maybe 2 years later it would've lasted forever and ascended to zombie status like Billions.

I watched the whole thing around 10 years ago and I really only remember Gram-Grams dramatically monologuing a lot and that being fun.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Boss really kind of missed the moment, if it had started only maybe 2 years later it would've lasted forever and ascended to zombie status like Billions.

I watched the whole thing around 10 years ago and I really only remember Gram-Grams dramatically monologuing a lot and that being fun.

The impression I got was that the "ruthless amoral genius fighting against time and intractable illness to rise and ultimately fall" show came at a bad time since it had been so thoroughly covered by Breaking Bad et al.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1492866374888214535?s=20&t=I0_6Og8i_OgnU14Crnlq9g

Oh no

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every time I look outside, I feel like I'm living inside a giant clown's pocket!

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Wouldn’t be caught dead being a Frasier fan and not knowing crucial Kelsey trivia like “is a republican” and “is a huge rear end in a top hat obviously” that’s like Kelsey 101

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

No I always knew it's just a Mar A Lago shot with some weirdo models is a step further

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Get it, Frase!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Got any more hiding in the grotto, Hef?