Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh poo poo Disney's making a Percy Jackson series

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-series-disney-plus-1235162882/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:colbert: Sorry for not sharing the enthusiasm, I'm an old millennial who grew watching Willow and that crappy Ewok movie.

I want an Ewok show. Gimme annoying Ewoks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Desperado Bones posted:

:colbert: Sorry for not sharing the enthusiasm, I'm an old millennial who grew watching Willow and that crappy Ewok movie.

I want an Ewok show. Gimme annoying Ewoks.

Peck.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

King Of Coons posted:

I think Oz might be a little too risqué for d+

Does anyone else remember Tin Man? The miniseries with Neal McDonough, Zooey Deschanel and Alan Cummings?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why is everone so hyped for Willow? I never heard of that, but it sounds like the blandest bargain bin fantasy ever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why is everone so hyped for Willow? I never heard of that, but it sounds like the blandest bargain bin fantasy ever.

It's one of the few things from the 80's that hasn't been strip mined yet.

It's a Lucasfilm flick, directed by Ron Howard who at that point had a string of hits directing. George did the story, ILM did the FX. It's one of the earliest examples of CG morphing. It has a solid cast as well. It's a good movie. I'm not really into fantasy much, but the new thing could be decent.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Will willow feature willow Smith?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Willow has cool 80s special effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOWb3J667E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj7L4ENaq8w

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How crazy is Val Kilmer now and can he come back?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's competent. Which sounds like faint praise, but competent is a lofty goal for fantasy before LOTR.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

twistedmentat posted:

He’s pretty cool these days but throat cancer has taken a serious toll.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

He’s all but lost the ability to speak, unfortunately.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He’s all but lost the ability to speak, unfortunately.

Write it into the character.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The pig scene scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid. Like I had some BAD nightmares after seeing that. To this day body horror like that still creeps me out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's one of the few things from the 80's that hasn't been strip mined yet.

It's a Lucasfilm flick, directed by Ron Howard who at that point had a string of hits directing. George did the story, ILM did the FX. It's one of the earliest examples of CG morphing. It has a solid cast as well. It's a good movie. I'm not really into fantasy much, but the new thing could be decent.

Thundercracker posted:

It's competent. Which sounds like faint praise, but competent is a lofty goal for fantasy before LOTR.

Yeah, it was the fantasy movie for those of us who were children in the 80's, not the greatest thing out there, but it was probably the only big budget looking-kinda-child friendly movie that wasn't a Conan or a Conan knock-off.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, it was the fantasy movie for those of us who were children in the 80's, not the greatest thing out there, but it was probably the only big budget looking-kinda-child friendly movie that wasn't a Conan or a Conan knock-off.

Legend and Labyrinth*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MokBa posted:

He’s pretty cool these days but throat cancer has taken a serious toll.

Ah that's awful to hear.

And yea, Willow was probably the only fantasy movie I could see as a kid that had some kind of budget. I mean what else am I going to watch? Beastmaster? Yor Hunter From the Future?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Beastmaster. It’s one of those movies I refuse to go watch again because it can’t be as good as I remember it.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

live with fruit posted:

Write it into the character.

His cameo in "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot" was pretty great. One of the few funny things in an otherwise bad movie. It was the perfect role. He played Silent Bob in the reboot they're trying to stop. Didn't have to say a word.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TK-42-1 posted:

Beastmaster. It’s one of those movies I refuse to go watch again because it can’t be as good as I remember it.

The only things I remember are the ferret sacrifice, and those cool, scary dude-things who pop up a couple of times, throw open their arms/wings/cloaks and hug you leaving only a gooey skeleton. It was so rad I’m sure I must have imagined it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Tommy Castillo (RIP) did a pretty neat series of art pieces that was a bit more dark/gritty Wizard of Oz thing and they would be a decent springboard for a show.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Disney's been squatting on the Prydain rights for nearly 40 years. There's your fantasy-fantasy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

twistedmentat posted:

Ah that's awful to hear.

And yea, Willow was probably the only fantasy movie I could see as a kid that had some kind of budget. I mean what else am I going to watch? Beastmaster? Yor Hunter From the Future?

This is Krull erasure

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kazil posted:

This is Krull erasure

Liam Neeson's finest work!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Draga posted:

Does anyone else remember Tin Man? The miniseries with Neal McDonough, Zooey Deschanel and Alan Cummings?
Yeah I remember that, I think at the same time Syfy did an Alice and Wonderland show that was very similar in vibes and having a good cast; oddly they had Tim Curry and didn't make him the Cheshire Cat!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

kazil posted:

This is Krull erasure

I'm not going to list every 80s fantasy movie. Krull does kinda hold up though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1486783950009905158

If they ever want to do a live-action Zombies movie, Shuri and the Wasp will be battling to become patient zero!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Firebert posted:

Evangeline Lilly
dangit, how come it is that celebrities keep being just as dumb as regular people

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1486783950009905158

If they ever want to do a live-action Zombies movie, Shuri and the Wasp will be battling to become patient zero!

For gently caress's saaaake... :cripes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Evangeline Lilly's been dumb about COVID this whole way through the pandemic, this ain't new

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I feel like a noticeable chunk of the MCU is going to be written out or re-cast in the darn near future.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why do y’all even care?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Inkspot posted:

Disney's been squatting on the Prydain rights for nearly 40 years. There's your fantasy-fantasy.

They also have some rights to Chronicles of Amber, which is sorta like Game of Thrones + Narnia (i.e. you can travel from our world to the fantasy world) That's straight up fantasy with monsters and wizards and castles and poo poo. It's pretty middle of the road for the most part, but the main characters have the power to reshape the universe with their mind and if they could do that well, it would be trippy as hell

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Anita Dickinme posted:

Why do y’all even care?

hrmm why would anyone care that famous people with large followings on social media spread dumb disinformation that is directly responsible for us being in year 3 of a pandemic, hrmmmm

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Why would Disney even care?

Fixed.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

hrmm why would anyone care that famous people with large followings on social media spread dumb disinformation that is directly responsible for us being in year 3 of a pandemic, hrmmmm

How many people live they're life based on what Evangeline Lilly says?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

live with fruit posted:

She probably has a good amount of influence on children

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

live with fruit posted:

Is your point that people don't listen to what celebrities say and think because that's demonstrably false

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Lol Joe Rogan averages 11 million listeners. And before his revival he was a D list celebrity who's most famous work was way in his past.

Take that and add the insane multiplier of Marvel power. There's absolutely gonna be a bunch of morons listening to the closest thing we get to actual superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Remember when Joe Rogan was 8th-billed on NewsRadio and then everyone forgot about him forever?