Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Can we all agree that six am meetings bite the big one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Oh my God they didn't even post an agenda, should be a crime

Nostalgia4Butts

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sephiRoth IRA posted:

sounds like a prime time to take over and be the boss

sephiRoth IRA

-Carl Sagan
Oh I haven't paid the cost to be the boss, unfortunately :sigh:

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

BunnyEffect posted:

Hi! I've never been on a forum type app before. I'm Bunni, it's nice to meet you all! ♡

I mostly do art and really like talking about Kingdom Hearts... :>

Hello new friend! Welcome to the yob!

Do you have any pets? What is your opinion of mangoes?

KH is like the one Square thing I have never played, haha. I need to someday! People keep saying it!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Scaly Haylie posted:

did me first ring fit today, mates

i recently completed my 100th Ring Fit session, i now have all kinds of Mario Muscles™

it's so much better than Wii Fit U

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

cruft

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It really should.

I heard there was this lady CEO who would just walk out of meetings with no agenda. I wish I could do that.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dr. Honked posted:

i recently completed my 100th Ring Fit session, i now have all kinds of Mario Muscles™

it's so much better than Wii Fit U

i understand my mistake now, in my quest for Mario Muscles™. too many mushrooms and pasta and not enough squeezing a ring.

kingdom hearts has always been anathema as i have hated disney as a company since i learned about the "Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act" and have a mixed feelings towards jrpgs in general BUT i am willing to give almost anything a chance.

what is kingdom hearts even about? they use keys as swords, i know this. there are many belts and zippers. goofy is there?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

lol... keyhole

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Heather Papps posted:

i understand my mistake now, in my quest for Mario Muscles™. too many mushrooms and pasta and not enough squeezing a ring.

kingdom hearts has always been anathema as i have hated disney as a company since i learned about the "Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act" and have a mixed feelings towards jrpgs in general BUT i am willing to give almost anything a chance.

what is kingdom hearts even about? they use keys as swords, i know this. there are many belts and zippers. goofy is there?

Rings are more a sonic thing anyway

sig by owlhawk911

ChubbyChecker

Heather Papps posted:

lol... keyhole

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Heather Papps posted:

This may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEwxKkCGJE

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am sipping a coffee and eating some apple/peach/quinoa baby food i found in my cupboard and watching this and life, you know, life is pretty okay.

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

BunnyEffect posted:

Hi! I've never been on a forum type app before. I'm Bunni, it's nice to meet you all! ♡

welcome to byob and the forum overall! we're chill here (in byob)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Who DID take the bomp from the bompalompalomp? Who DID take the ram from the ramalamadingdong?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hi Bunni hi hi hi!!!! Welcome! Hello! Ignore That Man with a Heathcliff av, not naming names CJ, he's fiiiine but I know his terrible secret.

He's a friggin nerd. But my dog is really pretty, ask him about Chloe.

Gramps

Cardi BYOB posted:

Who DID take the bomp from the bompalompalomp? Who DID take the ram from the ramalamadingdong?

it was me, i put the dip in the dip da dip da dip

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Cardi BYOB posted:

:evilbuddy:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm trying to work up the mental fortitude to get out of warm bed and go shower and get ready for work. it doesn't help that I'm basically self employed so my "arrival" at work is whenever i actually get there

Manifisto

BunnyEffect posted:

hello and welcome bunnyeffect! also g'mungo everyone, who has something noteworthy planned for today?

ty nesamdoom!

sephiRoth IRA

-Carl Sagan
My friend is flying in tonight, haven't seen him for two years due to lockdown! I'm so excited! I hope we don't all catch anything!

Manifisto

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My friend is flying in tonight, haven't seen him for two years due to lockdown! I'm so excited! I hope we don't all catch anything!

that's pretty neat, hope you all have a great time!

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

Manifisto posted:

hello and welcome bunnyeffect! also g'mungo everyone, who has something noteworthy planned for today?

gonna play some halo and maybe nap

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Corby Haas
Hi good morning to people who it is morning for you. I got a coffee machine on a time and it helped me wake up feels good.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

I'm gonna find out who really faked the funk on a nasty dunk once and for all.

Prof. Crocodile

Cardi BYOB posted:

I'm gonna find out who really faked the funk on a nasty dunk once and for all.

haha what? that’s ridiculous who would do such a thing? let’s change the subject. has anyone here ever played kingdom hearts?

more falafel please

forums poster

Corby Haas posted:

Hi good morning to people who it is morning for you. I got a coffee machine on a time and it helped me wake up feels good.

i used to have this but now I just wake up and make my sad little single cup French press every morning. I'm the only one drinking it and more than one cup does my nerves up wretched so making even a 4-cup pot is way too much

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Twenty Four

Sorry I've been a bit slow the past few days (soon after being made ik), maybe I'll make that one thread soon. I got some bad but expected news about my dad a couple days ago and it has caused some tension. He has mentally been on a slow decline (he's in his 70s) for over a few years and keeps getting worse. Sometimes on some topics he is as sharp as ever and sometimes he is nearly incomprehensible (like he speaks fine, but whatever he is getting at doesn't make sense) and gets angry and lashes out because his mind isn't working the way it should. Usually somewhere in between lately. A couple of years ago I said "this is like textbook dementia (an old friend of mine has it pretty bad and it checked off all the boxes), you need to see a neurologist" but he is really stubborn. I don't know much at all about treatment, but I figure diagnosing and doing something about it the earlier the better. After the past couple of years having the weekly talk with my mom about my dad not being right and getting worse turning into the almost daily talk, she finally got him into the doctors.

Yeah, diagnosed with dementia, and yeah, it's getting worse. He's understandably pretty bummed, and so am I and my mom, I just wish they would have agreed to do something sooner per my constant insistence, but nothing to be done about that now. I guess they are going to start him on some meds (not sure what) and had some lifestyle recommendations but I am willing to bet most of the stuff they want him to do he won't or at most barely do. My parents being the only close family I have (I love them), it's had me worried for years but looking it in the face sort of drives it home.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but you all in byob are my best internet friends, and I know this is a place I can let some feelings out and I appreciate that. Also, if anyone has any experience or advice in stuff like this, feel free to let me know, here or pm or whatever. Things are okay in that I'm not freaking out or anything, just, it is what it is and what's going on.

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hey I'm gonna put on my serious type formatting for a bit here because I wanna let you know that I've gone through exactly this. My dad (also in his 70s) passed away at the end of 2020 from Alzheimer's-related dementia and what I'm reading from your post fits a lot of what I saw during his decline. It's extremely hard to see someone you know and love go through all of this especially when, in my case, you know they've been basically the smartest and most capable person you ever knew. If you ever need someone to talk to about all of this from someone who just went through it, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. It's hard, but having people to talk to about it is definitely helpful.

I'm sorry to hear it's happening at all. Dementia is a real bastard of a disease.

sig by Heather Papps!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

You've got this. It sucks and I hear you, I know I will be going through the same with my dad soon. He's 71 but has been declining slowly for a few years. He calls it mad cow disease as his way of coping.

I heard to just live in their world with them and so far that's been the best. I hear the same stories and go along with all his branching upon branching stories. It's just his sandbox now and I'm there to play in it.

You're strong and you're gonna get through this how you're supposed to.

cruft

I've also been through this, and it's not the best. Mom always had a good sense of humor so we just treated her like she was acting ditzy and she was happy to laugh along with us, even if she didn't really understand why we were laughing.

Sorry you're having to go through this. There's not really much else I can say, I guess. But feel free to vent or just tell stories if it helps, we're here for ya.

I guess if their affairs aren't currently in order, you might want to contact a lawyer and try to sort that out ASAP.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 27, 2022

Manifisto

so sorry friend, that's tough to deal with.

ty nesamdoom!

more falafel please

forums poster

i'm sorry twenty four. you're doing what you can, which is being there for your folks

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'm sorry that you're going through this, i can't even imagine.

Twenty Four

Thanks, friends. I appreciate the well wishes, it means a lot, just typing it out was cathartic, which was mostly the point. You're all good people in my book :)

cruft

I guess if their affairs aren't currently in order, you might want to contact a lawyer and try to sort that out ASAP.

I edited my previous post to say this and forgot to click the button, because I am a fool.

Prof. Crocodile

dang dude. I can’t really add anything to what’s already been said, but you are cool and good and I hope that things go as well as they can for you.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My string cheese has good flavor today, love peeling this

sig by owlhawk911

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm so sorry. Everyone else here has given excellent advice and support, but my main addition is that you have to also remember to take a beat just for yourself and try to help yourself deal, too. Oxygen mask and all that. Love you. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

cruft posted:

I edited my previous post to say this and forgot to click the button, because I am a fool.

My mom and I have been fighting this for years since he has always been in charge of the main finances and it has basically come to an impasse where he doesn't want to give up the details but is losing the ability to do so, but the bad blood that would come around from "here is a lawyer to handle this" would likely be worse then just figuring it out if we outlive him and taking whatever hit that entails. Repeated gentle then slightly more forcible encouragement has never gone far. I've had the "we need to figure this out together" discussion with him dozens of times, even "let's sit down and do this right now, no I am serious" but it's always a initially polite but increasingly stern "Yeah sometime. No, look I said so." probably because he isn't even entirely sure how to figure all of it out anymore. Saving his decade old computer filled with all his information from near death years ago and insisting he back up his stuff and get an upgrade was quickly forgotten once he could still just, I don't know, do whatever he does for half the day on it. I admit I don't back up stuff like I should, but worst case scenario for me is I would lose a few pictures and have to redownload some programs and games, maybe lose some accounts and passwords that can be fixed if I needed or ignored, not leave your family in the dark and financial turmoil.

I honestly feel like he has at least a few good years in him and hopefully quite longer, perhaps even a decade or more fingers crossed, but not at the same mental capacity with it continuously degrading, but it all is still quite worrisome.

Also thanks again for all the well wishes from everyone, instead of just quoting everyone since these couple of posts have been long enough I just want to say I genuinely appreciate everyone's support. Things will get by day to day for now, don't stress, but thanks for letting me get a bit off my chest!