Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wizards originally wanted them to have to spend 160 wildcards, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jabor posted:

Wizards originally wanted them to have to spend 160 wildcards, lmao

Lol every time

e: they effectively accomplished the same end goal (get players to spend more wild cards) by introducing alchemy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Really hope Kamigawa doesn't have any dfc's

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

kalel posted:

im pretty sure its already confirmed that some of the sagas transform on the third chapter

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hope Kamigawa doesn’t have any DLC

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

GonSmithe posted:

I think there is a 1:1 phyrexian->english alphabet now, but lmao I am not trying to read the world's blurriest runes

So this is super nerd poo poo but the Phyrexian stuff isn't just a 1:1 substitution for letters in English. It is closer to a whole language with unique rules. It's more in depth than I ever would have guessed WotC to do and I can't explain it nearly well enough, but there's a YouTube channel with like 8 hours of videos doing deep dives on the process of deciphering a language based solely on the cards we've seen.

https://youtu.be/NsINwVt7fgY

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
don't talk to me unless you're speaking 100% in the phyrexian conlang that i just realized existed

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I haven't looked more into it but that video shows that it's a unique alphabet but not necessarily a language. I doubt they created a distinct grammar system for the language and new words, but they took the words and didn't do a 1:1 letter substitution from English, rather they represent each vocal sound with a distinct symbol. It also shows that there's some combination of "Phyrexians don't pronounce words the way they're written in English" and/or "certain sounds are left off of the writing", because "Norn" and "Vorin" are identical in Phyrexian except for the first letter.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/sdn3bn/we_deciphered_most_of_the_new_jin_gitaxias_card/

quote:

Our translation:

Whenever you cast an artifact, sorcery or instant spell copy that spell and choose new targets for the copies (this does not seem to be optional). This ability triggers only once each turn

Whenever your opponent casts an artifact, sorcery or instant spell [counter it or something, you are in blue for Yawghmoth's sake]. This ability triggers only once each turn
-- another commenter --

quote:

If this is anything like other Praetors, the last ability counters the spell. Which isn’t currently in the known Phyrexian language, so makes sense we don’t have an exact translation.

Very well done! I was jingitaxiasprogresstyrant on the stream and it was a great time!

One of Maro's teasers is: “Whenever you cast an artifact, instant, or sorcery spell, copy that spell.”

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

DangerDongs posted:

I also never understood the Arena hate. I play for about 30-45 minutes everyday, I don't spend gems or gold on useless cosmetics, and I am currently sitting at over 300 wild cards between Mythic and Rare.
Granted, I only play Standard, and have the tier 1 decks built out.
Feeling really good about avoiding Historic with all of these bullshit Alchemy additions.

This is absolutely my situation, except for the Historic hate. Only a handful of Alchemy cards have made it through to regularly-played Historic decks, and the format is in a great place right now.

Whenever these debates come up, it basically boils down to:

1. The type of person who posts about MTG in these threads tends to have a lot invested in the paper game and/or MTGO already, and so they resent having to "rebuild their collection" in Arena.

2. That type of person also usually is more willing to spend significant sums on the game, and would prefer to spend money to get exactly the cards or decks they want as conveniently as possible, rather than having to navigate Arena's economy.

If, like me, you got out of the game a long time ago, don't want to spend a lot of money on it, and/or won't be playing in person any time soon, then Arena is a fantastic and extremely economical way to play. I still can't believe sometimes that after a year and a bit of mostly F2P I have basically every deck I could want to play in Standard, Alchemy, and Historic at my fingertips.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 27, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strong Sauce posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/sdn3bn/we_deciphered_most_of_the_new_jin_gitaxias_card/

-- another commenter --

One of Maro's teasers is: “Whenever you cast an artifact, instant, or sorcery spell, copy that spell.”

Copying makes more sense because countering would be loving miserable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Copying makes more sense because countering would be loving miserable.

It does both.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

-- another commenter --

I'm going to throw up

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jabor posted:

It does both.

“Whenever you cast an artifact, instant, or sorcery spell, counter that spell.” would be an incredible line of text and I want it to be this lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jabor posted:

It does both.

Yeah, somehow it's grosser than what I suggested.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, somehow it's grosser than what I suggested.

3. Mechanical overview summarized as "violating" and "win more." Likely manifests to fun game-play experience playing Phyrexians, unfun game-play experience fighting against Phyrexians.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat that sounds obnoxious as hell lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neon Dynasty stream day hoipe

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

It does both.

Sounds about right, since that still leaves it a worse card than Hullbreaker Horror. It just sounds meaner.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Dies to Brutal Catar or Meathook.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If there were any good way to cheat guys in like reanimator around, Gin would win the contest, but when actually spending mana is the concern then Hullbreaker gets further by making spending 5UU a lot safer.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Hey at least it doesn’t cost 8UU like the first one and isn’t completely unplayable outside of cheating it out on that metric alone

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tamiyo's Compleation]
She's phyrexian now, notably the first phyrexian planeswalker (according to Jin Gitaxis) implying Tezzeret isn't.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Here we go:

https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1486738270549528579

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The Wandering Emperor: 2WW

Legendary Planeswalker (MR)

Flash

As long as The Wandering Emperor entered the battlefield this turn, you may activate her loyalty abilities any time you could cast an instant.

+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. It gains first strike until end of turn.

-1: Create a 2/2 white samurai token with vigilance

-2: Exile target tapped creature. You gain 2 life.

Starting Loyalty: 3.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

HootTheOwl posted:

Tamiyo's Compleation]
She's phyrexian now, notably the first phyrexian planeswalker (according to Jin Gitaxis) implying Tezzeret isn't.

Oh hells no :ohdear:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Sam Jackson voice* I have had it with these motherfuckin Phyrexians on this motherfuckin plane

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*Sam Jackson voice* I have had it with these motherfuckin Phyrexians on this motherfuckin plane

Dont; worry. They left.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

New Thread Title

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They're showing off sagas in the pre-stream right now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I need more bogles tech, don't disappoint me wotc.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

:hmmyes: Katilda pile

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Strong Sauce posted:

The Wandering Emperor: 2WW

Legendary Planeswalker (MR)

Flash

As long as The Wandering Emperor entered the battlefield this turn, you may activate her loyalty abilities any time you could cast an instant.

+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. It gains first strike until end of turn.

-1: Create a 2/2 white samurai token with vigilance

-2: Exile target tapped creature. You gain 2 life.

Starting Loyalty: 3.

Seems blah.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i have a meeting now. :(

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

kalel posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The art they're showing off kicks rear end at the very least

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Saga's just rule in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003