Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I halved the base size to play half size Blücher which means I only need a 3x2 space (or fuckoff huge Borodino on a 6x4)

Printed out 4 French corps in like 2 hours, I've gone mad with power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I halved the base size to play half size Blücher which means I only need a 3x2 space (or fuckoff huge Borodino on a 6x4)

hmm... happen to be able to share those STLs?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The 2mm stuff comes from https://forwardmarchstudios.com/ so I can't rightfully share the actual dudes, but it's a hell of a bargain, 100s of premade STLs for like $15 and it's constantly updating even after you buy.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just found this guys stuff

https://projectwargaming.com/collections/2mm-napoleonics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYaHBNzeO8

this looks pretty drat awesome haha. not sure i should be tempting myself with this while i'm supposed to be working on my battletech project... lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god! The stuff I posted is lower quality but it makes up in quantity. But that stuff is pretty impressive

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I mean, I'm just going to buy both because I like the buildings in the first link and there's a bigger variety of stuff there, but the second link is more impressive looking.

It's still about the same price as buying a couple boxes of 28mm infantry.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
How do you plan on unit identification & elan tracking?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Springfield Fatts posted:

How do you plan on unit identification & elan tracking?

Paint the flags accurately under a scanning electron microscope

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Those look great! Clearly 2022 is the year of 2mm, it's even in the name.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Tis was a fun little test paint to knock out on my lunch break. If I batched them up I could easily knock out all 4 corps in an evening.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, apologies in advance if there's another thread I should ask this in, but I'm just wondering. Does anyone either have any resources on -or know where I can get resources on- what an Italian L4/60 command tankette looked like?

Bolt Action says it's open-topped, but is that just meaning like, the hatch is always open for the commander to poke his head out of (more for balance purposes I guess, so that they're actually somewhat more vulnerable than the regular version) or does it genuinely have the roof open, like an American M10 Wolverine or something?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, apologies in advance if there's another thread I should ask this in, but I'm just wondering. Does anyone either have any resources on -or know where I can get resources on- what an Italian L4/60 command tankette looked like?

Bolt Action says it's open-topped, but is that just meaning like, the hatch is always open for the commander to poke his head out of (more for balance purposes I guess, so that they're actually somewhat more vulnerable than the regular version) or does it genuinely have the roof open, like an American M10 Wolverine or something?

It's a Semovente L40 di 47/32 with the 47 mm gun replaced by a machine gun and radios.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah excellent, thanks! I was wondering if that would be it. Good to know

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Oh yeah, that part I'm still tweaking. The little label bar on the back is held on with magnets for interchangeability, so I needed to make it thicket to accomodate.

Can you let the magnet stand out from the base and fit into a hole in the “label bar”?

Or remove the bar and place “rails” on the base that can hold replaceable paper labels in place.

Personally I don’t like fat bases, I’d prefer separate bases with labels or flags instead.

Not trying to poo poo on your awesome little army, just wanna give some input that might help you think outside the box regarding the labeling so you don’t limit yourself to a requirement that could be eliminated. I really like 2mm but my adhd brain is never going to let me finish something even if I absolutely could afford a printer…

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

It's a Semovente L40 di 47/32 with the 47 mm gun replaced by a machine gun and radios.

This does not appear to be correct.

All links or information I can find suggests that the L6/40 CR retains the turret, and isn't a further modification of the Semovente L40 da 46/32.

Unless I'm mistaken and the L4/60 isn't a typo or something.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I picked up the rules for Song of Drum and Shakos, skirmish rules for Napoleonics from Ganesha Games. I think this will sate my small group for a while, but what we are really looking for are some "Kill Team"-esque rules that we can use with our 28mm Black Powder minis. What we have in mind is a roster of 10-odd "regulars" and a sergeant, where 4-5 of them will enter a small scale mission or skirmish within a larger campaign. Any ideas?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Not exactly historical but The Silver Bayonet is a skirmish game where your unit hunts down monsters in the backdrop of the napoleonic wars and is a lot of fun. It has a campaign and solo play mode.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Silver bayonet probably has the level of granularity in squad creation that would be fun at that scale. I haven’t played it (yet) but will eventually I think

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So far this week I've printed out four corps of 2mm Napoleonics, a corps of 2mm ACW, and I'm working on designing some 6mm WW2 right (well, rescaling stuff I already had).

I've gone mad with 3d printing power

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

it just makes trying out new stuff so easy

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted some Panthers. Haven't painted FOW stuff in a while, feels good man

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This does not appear to be correct.

All links or information I can find suggests that the L6/40 CR retains the turret, and isn't a further modification of the Semovente L40 da 46/32.

Ah, right, I see my mistake. So, the L6/40 Centro Radio ("Radio Centre") which was an L6/40-based vehicle used as a command tank for L6/40 battalions retains the turret, while the L40 Carro Comando ("Command Tank") is an L6/40-based vehicle used as a command tank for Semovente L40 companies. Externally, the L6/40 CR is distinguishable from the base tank by the presence of a second radio aerial.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

Ah, right, I see my mistake. So, the L6/40 Centro Radio ("Radio Centre") which was an L6/40-based vehicle used as a command tank for L6/40 battalions retains the turret, while the L40 Carro Comando ("Command Tank") is an L6/40-based vehicle used as a command tank for Semovente L40 companies. Externally, the L6/40 CR is distinguishable from the base tank by the presence of a second radio aerial.

Ahhh, yes I see - the L40 Carro Commando is on EasyArmy as a separate vehicle, actually - odd that that's separate from the Semovente 47/32 entry, while the L6/40 CR is rolled into the standard L6/40 as an 'optional extra'. OK then, thanks for that guys! I guess I'll need to get a nice aerial hooked up, when I build one.

Also, I'm loving the emblem changes on those Panthers, Geisladisk! :D

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Major Isoor posted:

Ahhh, yes I see - the L40 Carro Commando is on EasyArmy as a separate vehicle, actually - odd that that's separate from the Semovente 47/32 entry, while the L6/40 CR is rolled into the standard L6/40 as an 'optional extra'. OK then, thanks for that guys! I guess I'll need to get a nice aerial hooked up, when I build one.

Also, I'm loving the emblem changes on those Panthers, Geisladisk! :D

This is likely because the L6/40 CR only had extra radios in it, while the L40 had its gun removed.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is likely because the L6/40 CR only had extra radios in it, while the L40 had its gun removed.

Yeah, true. Although I think that ruling is applied inconsistently sometimes. Since although I can't think of the lengthy vehicle name now, but yesterday I was going through the German vehicle list and they had a similar situation, but the 'command vehicle' option had a negative point value (instead of a positive one for being a straight upgrade, like how the command version of the L6/40 costs 20pts extra) and had a note stating that the main gun has been removed.

Eh doesn't matter though - I just found it interesting that they're somewhat inconsistent with that stuff. I guess different people did the Italian list and the German list, on EasyArmy! Thanks for the clarification on all this though - I think I'll have to see if I can get a 'commander poking out the turret' model and stick an aerial onto the command tank. Hmm, maybe also add some foliage, strapped to the front as camouflage...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

So far this week I've printed out four corps of 2mm Napoleonics, a corps of 2mm ACW, and I'm working on designing some 6mm WW2 right (well, rescaling stuff I already had).

If you find infantry that aren't low poly blobs lemme know.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

If you find infantry that aren't low poly blobs lemme know.

These little test print Russians printed out pretty good in 6mm! They're from March From Hell (3dBreed.es), scaled down to 23%, and then some mini supports added where things like guns overhang.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh I've got a shitload of 15mm March to Hell sitting around waiting to be painted from the last KS. I was pissed they got rid of the 'plugs' at the base of the models as I'm dreading gluing all of those tiny feet to bases. I really should of thought that through before printing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, true. Although I think that ruling is applied inconsistently sometimes. Since although I can't think of the lengthy vehicle name now, but yesterday I was going through the German vehicle list and they had a similar situation, but the 'command vehicle' option had a negative point value (instead of a positive one for being a straight upgrade, like how the command version of the L6/40 costs 20pts extra) and had a note stating that the main gun has been removed.
I've seen people talk about that with the Sd.Kfz. 265 Panzerbefehlswagen in Flames of War but there's silliness there due to how that game handled vehicle mounted MGs and early-war MG only tanks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Terrainmaking! I'm a piss poor student trying desperately to mold together some natural terrain pieces I can jazz up with my paint and flock collection. I cannot stomach touching styrofoam or the noise it makes when pulled or cut, so looking for other cheap alternatives for bases and sculpting.

Right now I've made some pretty designs for river water and banks using papier maché, but the bases I used (cut sides from cardboard boxes) warp when exposed to the maché and craft glue I'm using.

Are there other materials that would be good for bases, and also cost very little/be recycled? I hear plasticard is good, but I can't jam in anymore craft expenses the coming month.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tias posted:

Terrainmaking! I'm a piss poor student trying desperately to mold together some natural terrain pieces I can jazz up with my paint and flock collection. I cannot stomach touching styrofoam or the noise it makes when pulled or cut, so looking for other cheap alternatives for bases and sculpting.

Right now I've made some pretty designs for river water and banks using papier maché, but the bases I used (cut sides from cardboard boxes) warp when exposed to the maché and craft glue I'm using.

Are there other materials that would be good for bases, and also cost very little/be recycled? I hear plasticard is good, but I can't jam in anymore craft expenses the coming month.

I base my terrain on MDF, like 5-6 mm thick. You can find it for cheap, for example go to your local second hand shops and look at cheap framed stuff as it's often used to back photo or picture frames.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 28, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh cool! And it won't warp before the papier maché hardens?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It shouldn't, but maybe tape the underside corner to corner and give the top a glaze of PVA to waterproof it before you start doing papier mache. I used to get good results out of old table mats in the long ago too, the pressed card with a cork underside kind. Just flip them over and gouge out the cork and it looks great.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I did already coat the cardboard layer with PVA both sides, but I couldn't get it inside the hollow sides and stuff.

Good stuff, thanks a lot! I'll post some pictures when I get to it

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 28, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Painting the underside could also help if it starts to warp.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you are using corrugated card then that'll be a lot harder to get to stay rigid. It's pretty much designed to crumple along one axis for disposal while being strong along the other one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also moisture of nearly any sort will immediately start to weaken corrugated board and allow it to more easily flex and warp. Board that is designed to be used in conditions where dampness will occur (such as freezers or agricultural) either over-engineer the board or have a wax coating applied to the board. Corrugated board will also be more prone to warpage based on the average fiber length of the wood pulp used in construction, so avoid board from SE Asia or board that is made from a large percentage of recycled materials. Perhaps use a spray varnish on the board before applying anything to it and you may have less warping. If you use doublewall you will probably get less warping as well, but due to the use case of double wall board you won't find much thin enough to go neatly with the table.

Also, to be pedantic, cardboard is what cereal boxes are made of. Your Amazon packages are delivered in corrugated fiberboard or corrugated containerboard. Also while corrugated does *fold* along one axis, it is not designed to *crumple* under normal use case. The Mullen's Burst test specifically evaluates containerboard products for their ability to withstand crumpling. If you have further questions about board finishers, specifically flexographic folder-gluer units, I can provide more detail, and also have some passing knowledge on offset and rotary die-cutting machines and corrugation in general. (I was a factory representative and serviced and installed flexographic folder-gluers units for Mitsubishi in my previous job)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If I’m making light terrain like craters or rubble I mount them on For Sale signs from Walmart. They’re cheap and I can cut them with scissors. For anything heavier like a building I use mdf.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Your Amazon packages are delivered in corrugated fiberboard or corrugated containerboard.
Wherever you are you get far fancier Amazon packaging than I do :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

This is kind of random but: does anyone have a credit card recommendation that has rewards that might be handy for a tabletop wargamer?

I've been using my Amazon Prime card which gives 5% back on Amazon, but I'm thinking of cancelling it since I don't use Amazon much anymore and they have poor selection/prices for minis.