Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I will instantly become a mod-using convert if someone puts a bulldozer into the game simply for this.

Let me haul rocks to a crusher and put some gravel in the deep mud right outside the garage so i can drive over it please thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

finally at the contract in Maine that unlocks the Tayga :woop:

aw jeez it's logging :negative:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Did someone say logging

https://i.imgur.com/eA0MEjr.mp4

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I keep seeing people with trucks packed on towing trailers and ramps but I can't seem to figure out how to do it myself. I've got a Tatra T813 with the articulated towing platform. After some finagling I winched a Lo4F onto it. But I don't have the option to pack it. Is it because it's an objective vehicle rather than a vehicle I own? I wanted to try the towing feature and thought the repair and rescue tasks would be the best place for it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I love that spare tyre, just perched on top of the logs :allears:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

apophenium posted:

I keep seeing people with trucks packed on towing trailers and ramps but I can't seem to figure out how to do it myself. I've got a Tatra T813 with the articulated towing platform. After some finagling I winched a Lo4F onto it. But I don't have the option to pack it. Is it because it's an objective vehicle rather than a vehicle I own? I wanted to try the towing feature and thought the repair and rescue tasks would be the best place for it.

is the towing platform the dedicated one with the hookups you drive onto? Can't speak for that one, always seemed bad to me. I've always just driven up onto a ramped flatbed or used a heavy crane truck to haul a scout onto my bed or cab to be packed

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

is the towing platform the dedicated one with the hookups you drive onto? Can't speak for that one, always seemed bad to me. I've always just driven up onto a ramped flatbed or used a heavy crane truck to haul a scout onto my bed or cab to be packed

That's right. I feel like a dumb-dumb having a dedicated towing thing but just having a small little van winched behind me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

apophenium posted:

That's right. I feel like a dumb-dumb having a dedicated towing thing but just having a small little van winched behind me.

It's a really weird addition tbh, basically useless but it's something I guess? There's way, way more efficient ways to do exactly that not least of all is just winching and powering it up to create a convoy

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
That dude fucks.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Many players have had a raging hard on for tow trucks and putting trucks on other trucks since spintires first came out. I imagine these new addons were well received just because they are kind of cool even though they are almost totally impractical

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Oh, okay, I figured it out. You can't pack the truck to the platform while it's winched. Seems a bit fiddly. Next time I'll do something easier!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it is done :toot:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

What's the word on don? Im loving the change of pace from empty hell maps, these two are tiny and fun. I'm tearing around in small trucks and tipping over every 8 feet since im never far from the garage. I just don't know how many cargo slots to bring to each place to haul stuff back - I just found cement and I only see needing 3 pieces for the whole first map which seems wrong
Don is fun, I finished it all last night. I got frustrated enough with the lower left of the preserve trying to haul the high saddle things through the mud to go and unlock the zikz, though. A lot of the stuff isn't ever used; beyond a single large log delivery I don't think you use the sawmill at all and like you noticed you don't really need any cement. I suggest parking a refuel truck at the cement factory because I used that thing a ton.

Like all the other places, I found the tayga crane+semi-sideboard is the standout truck for me on the maps, unless I need a high saddle in which case the zikz is it, or if need my stumpy bouncy bandit. I tried both the azov 7 and the p16 and it was an absolutely miserable experience. I'm glad I spent 4 hours unlocking cosmodrome and getting the zikz, I'm never looking back. It's my high saddle hero.

I tried doing the deliver 3 large pipes in one go with a convoy and ended up giving up; that 4 slot trailer is an absolute garbage flipathon and I'm never using the thing again.

Like many other maps, You can bang a hard left past/over the trash cans out of the garage for a little shortcut up to the trailer store / port. If you smash the junk out of place and recover, it disappears and you can drive through the trees. It's the same with amur or one of the other russian snow maps, it's a quick route down to the ice.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 28, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've finished the Paper Mill in wisconsin :toot:

It's been mentioned before but I really enjoyed that one because of how many roads cut through the areas. A lot of tough offroading but also satisfying when you reach a road and can zip right to the mill.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I decided it was high time I tried out the 6900 Twinsteer. Just done a decently long drive, hauling metal beams to convert into metal rolls, and then taking those to a drop-of area. You know what? gently caress it. The hype is real. Waaaaaay quicker than towing a 4u-trailer with a KOLOB (as I had done previously, for metal-roll crafting).
4u-flatbed... Why, why, why did I not give this vehicle some quality time sooner?

Tippy as poo poo if you aren't paying attention, sure, but *drat* it just goes and goes and goes otherwise. For a vehicle you can get for free in the very first world-area, kind of wild I made it to Yukon without dabbling.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

magimix posted:

I decided it was high time I tried out the 6900 Twinsteer. Just done a decently long drive, hauling metal beams to convert into metal rolls, and then taking those to a drop-of area. You know what? gently caress it. The hype is real. Waaaaaay quicker than towing a 4u-trailer with a KOLOB (as I had done previously, for metal-roll crafting).
4u-flatbed... Why, why, why did I not give this vehicle some quality time sooner?

Tippy as poo poo if you aren't paying attention, sure, but *drat* it just goes and goes and goes otherwise. For a vehicle you can get for free in the very first world-area, kind of wild I made it to Yukon without dabbling.

The raised suspension is a mixed bag yeah, I don't normally run it. Have you gotten the AWD for it from Imandra?

It's easy to look at it and see the rigid frame and zero addons and toss it aside but it should be noted that this truck fucks

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

The raised suspension is a mixed bag yeah, I don't normally run it. Have you gotten the AWD for it from Imandra?

It's easy to look at it and see the rigid frame and zero addons and toss it aside but it should be noted that this truck fucks

Yeah, got the AWD for it. I was pretty thorough before I moved on from Imandra. I *am* running the raised suspension a the moment. Haven't tried it with stock yet, to be honest. Kind of felt that perhaps raised would be more useful on aggregate, when accounting for the all the water and deep mud in Flooded Foothills.

Early days, to be sure, but those first impression have been *extremely* positive. It's helping me make fairly light work of the 'repair the conveyor belt' contracts.

Edit: I can't help feeling that the long wheel-base is part of the asset here. That is, it is *so* long, that when going over a modesly sized obstacle, I've got a set of drive wheels engaged on either side. When the front is in the muck, the back is pushing me onwards, and when the back is in the muck, the front is pulling me. No dead weight to drag.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 28, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

magimix posted:

Yeah, got the AWD for it. I was pretty thorough before I moved on from Imandra. I *am* running the raised suspension a the moment. Haven't tried it with stock yet, to be honest. Kind of felt that perhaps raised would be more useful on aggregate, when accounting for the all the water and deep mud in Flooded Foothills.

Early days, to be sure, but those first impression have been *extremely* positive. It's helping me make fairly light work of the 'repair the conveyer belt' contracts.

I only tend to use raised on trucks where raising it means you can throw bigger tires on, or ones that are really stable and could use the extra ground clearance like the Azov 7

Anyway enjoy it, that truck is a hoot and the hooting goes up exponentially when convoying two of them

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

I only tend to use raised on trucks where raising it means you can throw bigger tires on, or ones that are really stable and could use the extra ground clearance like the Azov 7

Anyway enjoy it, that truck is a hoot and the hooting goes up exponentially when convoying two of them

I've got 63-inch tires fitted at the moment, so that at least justifies the raised suspension :v: Shame it doesn't have one of those neat 'bespoke' paint-jobs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

magimix posted:

I've got 63-inch tires fitted at the moment, so that at least justifies the raised suspension :v: Shame it doesn't have one of those neat 'bespoke' paint-jobs.

Yeah, bigger tires are always worth whatever, especially on a poo poo kicker like the Twinsteer, couldn't remember if it was one but then yeah I recommend it. One of these days I need to try to pack a scout fuel trailer on its roof to make it the almost complete package (completed by hauling around something hilariously tiny like a heavy crane 4070A)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i do wish a Twin2Steer convoy - or winching trucks in general - had a higher top speed, feels a shame to waste two perfectly good highrange boxes for that

baller af for moving 8u tho

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 28, 2022

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
even with the new vehicle towing stuff, my go to move is still picking up a scout with a loading crane and putting it in a sideboard bed. the rollback bed and larger ramp platform not carrying cargo kills them, and the tatra towing platform is worse than a winch and comes with zero repair points or fuel

Ciaphas posted:

i do wish a Twin2Steer convoy - or winching trucks in general - had a higher top speed, feels a shame to waste two perfectly good highrange boxes for that

baller af for moving 8u tho

towing a slower truck wastes a lot of fuel, use an offroad or fine tune gearbox in the lead truck. it if the towed truck has the engine on, it will always use AWD if it's switchable, and it seems like it goes through fuel at the truck's idle rate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i see the 6455b continues the tayga tradition of having the worst auto gear in existence

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
good thing you sit in tayga's high gear forever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

now that you mention it i haven't tried actual highrange in the thing yet. finally just got to the raised suspension upgrade so i'ma give that a try

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
rebinding 1 and 2 to auto and high gear is the pro move. tayga go zoom

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

trip report: highrange seems far too bouncy to be usable, offroad h feels about right tho and i hate not having low+ anyways

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
New tayga is pretty decent, contender for the roles where you would use a voron ae. I find the twinsteer is weirdly good at recovering from situations where you think for sure it will tip. I mostly tip it through panicking.

I think I figured out why some of the "worse" trucks seem too good to me, the offroad tyres can actually perform better than muds if the offroads have a dually rear. Need to try out running offroads on some trucks to confirm but it feels right.
Doesn't count for the huge mud tyres you get on the tayga etc
From this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQXcV9v4ao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the southwest part of the antonovskiy nature preserve is where dreams and souls go to die

this is going to suck :sigh:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Ciaphas posted:

the southwest part of the antonovskiy nature preserve is where dreams and souls go to die

Not gonna lie, I deleted two wide flatbed trailers at the drop off point. I don’t know if those gooseneck trailers are going to be easier or harder with those tiny wheels

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah i hemmed and hawed a while on that, still not sure i made a good choice but we'll find out

i haven't actually started yet; i'm already thinking the tayga 6455b's gonna prove woefully inadequate for the task. think i might bring in the zikz 605r and use a high saddle trailer of some description

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

It actually ain't bad at all compared to like, the three pipes mission. The path there is clear and easy by that point and so long as you go right of the shack after avoiding the traps you're familiar with in that part of that map by now you just show up and you're good

Now the real danger and strategy is what happened to me, which was bringing Rail Sections instead of Rails all the way there only to find out it's the wrong cargo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

just got it done, at last - now on to the rest of the Don checkmark contracts

hardest part turned out to not be the HellPit at all; rather I spent a long time on uphills in both maps - gently caress those rails're heavy, and the tayga was barely up to it - and on actually reaching the entrance to the map 'cos the azov kept getting stuck on the railroad

done, though, and two more trailers have been added to the graveyard because lmao if i'm driving those home

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just unlocked the Raised suspension for the BOAR and that thing seems like a beast for any high saddle needs. What's a good go-to for heavy crane needs? I just grabbed one of the Sequoia trees on the second map of Wisconsin using the Azov7 as a crane platform and a Boar with the big 5x trailer and honestly the azov seems pretty drat stable while hoisting up heavy stuff.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ciaphas posted:

just got it done, at last - now on to the rest of the Don checkmark contracts

hardest part turned out to not be the HellPit at all; rather I spent a long time on uphills in both maps - gently caress those rails're heavy, and the tayga was barely up to it - and on actually reaching the entrance to the map 'cos the azov kept getting stuck on the railroad

done, though, and two more trailers have been added to the graveyard because lmao if i'm driving those home

I just knocked out the same contract but had already gone to easy mode. Earlier I took the tatra force to try to tow out the giant trailer and it got stuck almost instantly even with a zikz pulling, so I said gently caress it and brought a high saddle zikz. Had an azov 7 pulling a low saddle flatbed behind it that worked ok until I tipped it twice at the end like an idiot.

I'm absolutely loving Don , I treat map loading as another logistical issue. Always try to cross with two trucks hooked together. Really got to use a ton of different trucks including the tayga and AE I hasn't used in forever. Lots of paths to take. And of course I've ignored the wooden plank/log tasks until I bang out all the contracts and finally go get some log trucks

The force I liked at first but the more I used it the worse it was. The biggest problem isn't the low suspension with the crane, or that it's slow or not that strong. Nope, it's that the winch points are set way too far back. With trucks like the twinsteer and 420, there's winch points in the upper shoulder instead of the waist and that lets you winch turn really well. The force can't do that at all.

Re heavy crane: Dan all day. Really did struggle with it towing a 4 slot ramped trailer in mud , but heavy crane dan is pretty much perfect and lets you use a truck you never would otherwise

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Damn, I guess it's time to go work on unlocking that Dan then.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Damn, I guess it's time to go work on unlocking that Dan then.

if it helps, I believe that's one you can drive a truck with van addon and just repair in place 'cos it's already fueled

i may be wrong tho

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

if it helps, I believe that's one you can drive a truck with van addon and just repair in place 'cos it's already fueled

i may be wrong tho

Nah but I forgot I did already find it and repair it when I went out for the weed truck but couldn't accept the mission because I didn't have the first geological mission done which was a prerequisite. Took a convoy out and got the mission done and the Dan repaired in no time!

Edit: Exhaust options are purely cosmetic, right? I just realized I'm the one making the choice to put on the exhaust that shoots billowy columns of smoke that obstructs my vision while driving around so as long as it's cosmetic I'll probably stick to the ones that seem to shoot it below the truck moving forward..

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 31, 2022

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
yeah, exhaust can block the view at certain angles, and the crane can collide with the exhaust pipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Epic High Five posted:

I get it, my main issue is that hard mode doesn't really just defeat you, it puts you in a position where you have no way forward except to restart like 40 hours in. Not even the most brutal of hardcore hardcore games do that. IMHO the much better thing to do is start out with a "only regional trucks on regional maps" challenge which has a logarithmic difficulty curve upward versus hard mode which is far closer to normal right up until you're hosed

Trip report from my first attempt at hard mode. I tried not to spoil myself too much before playing but I've seen a tip that I can repair the Fleetstar, which I don't think I'd be able to figure out on my own. Anyway, lessons learned:

- do not spend your last $$$ on upgrades for your cars.
- loading crane has stabilizers!
- don't get excited and don't forget to use stabilizers before loading the cargo. Otherwise it's VERY easy to topple the Fleetstar.
- toppled Fleetstar is REALLY hard to get back on all wheels with just Chevrolet CK1500

I restarted about 6h in as I ran out of cash and I had no way of recovering the Fleetstar. I'm really digging it though. I managed to do King of the Hill and restore the Mountain Bridge, it was really fun. I think that now that I know what to do at the beginning it will take me a smaller fraction of time to get back to the previous spot. Game is perfect for now, how did I not know about it until last week.

And you were right re difficulty. All is normal until one mistake and you can’t really progress.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 31, 2022