Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

A MIRACLE posted:

My wife recently watched the series with me and we had to download them

Yeah community on netflix still has the first dnd episode removed (last I looked) because a guy paints his face to look like a dark elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Some TVs have audio compressors on them too. Look for a dynamic audio setting

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah but they could have just done a different joke. I'm not defending removing it from streaming, that's the dumbest way to handle it. But the writers chose to write those jokes, despite the context. They could have just chosen not to make blackface into a joke.

Does this mean we’re not allowed to watch The League of Gentlemen anymore?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I will comment my thoughts on the blackfaces in my mega review. I’m Puerto Rican, and the show has some specific Puerto Rican focused jokes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m just going to keep enjoying the media I enjoy

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terrible title I had to look up right now but....Munich – The Edge of War was a fun movie. I was afraid it would be bad because the central plot of leaking Hitlers invasion plans fundamentally doesn't matter considering, yknow, but they were self aware enough to have that be the point. Ended up being a fairly tight spy movie about reconnecting with the people you love.

Might be my favorite depiction of Chamberlain too. Jeremy Irons kills it

Worth a watch on a Sunday afternoon/10

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Big fan here as well

thirded, Art of Self-Defense is good

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ozmunkeh posted:

The character of Barbara is a bit....problematic now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh poo poo Upload season 2 is in March? Hell yea

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Best episode of Boomer Fett doesn't have his rear end in it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hacks is a great show, but the season finale “cliffhanger” what is something that was repeatedly handled in the first season. Multiple times.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Station 11 was great, but some of the stuff with the prophet just didn't work at all imo. It wasn't enough to drag the show down too much but there's just too many plot holes and hand waves going on there. Everything surrounding him felt sort of ridiculous in an otherwise grounded show.

I'd still give it an A- though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does Seinfeld look like total poo poo on Netflix for anyone else? It’s not the actual streaming quality, because I can stream other stuff in HD and 4K just fine. I don’t know if it’s the way they upscaled it or what, but it’s just constantly artifacting, especially on skin tones and anything warm.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh poo poo Upload season 2 is in March? Hell yea

The trailers for season 1 just looked like a The Good Place rip off, with an uncharismatic lead that it just didn't look interesting. Is it actually good?

veni veni veni posted:

Station 11 was great, but some of the stuff with the prophet just didn't work at all imo. It wasn't enough to drag the show down too much but there's just too many plot holes and hand waves going on there. Everything surrounding him felt sort of ridiculous in an otherwise grounded show.

I read a summary for the book the other day, and the prophet is handled very differently: He's actually raping all those kids that follow him, and Kirsten actually kills him, there is no happy reunion with his mother.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

The trailers for season 1 just looked like a The Good Place rip off, with an uncharismatic lead that it just didn't look interesting. Is it actually good?

I liked it but I honestly can't remember much about it other than the premise.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does Seinfeld look like total poo poo on Netflix for anyone else? It’s not the actual streaming quality, because I can stream other stuff in HD and 4K just fine. I don’t know if it’s the way they upscaled it or what, but it’s just constantly artifacting, especially on skin tones and anything warm.

The biggest thing I noticed was the camera man's inability to focus the camera in Jerry's apartment. The plus side is that you get to check out all his cereal and the stuff on his desk. There's a Magic: The Gathering box back there in at least one episode

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The thing that bothered me the most about watching Seinfeld on Netflix:
https://youtu.be/PFIrsitJW5M

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

It was enjoyable, it can kind of be viewed as inspired by The Good Place, but instead of ethics and philosophy it's capitalism and identity.

Basic setting information when death is imminent a digital copy of your consciousness can be created and uploaded to an 'afterlife' controlled by which ever conglomerate you had a contract with. Part cellphone plan/part mmo your contract determines how much data your consciousness is allowed to use each month and what you have access to without buying DLC. Stuff like what it's like for people who can't afford the best, if you're a digital upload are you still you if memory gets corrupted, and internet black markets are addressed at some point in later episodes as well as a few darker things

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I read a summary for the book the other day, and the prophet is handled very differently: He's actually raping all those kids that follow him, and Kirsten actually kills him, there is no happy reunion with his mother.

Well. I may not have liked it but I do like it more than that lol.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I enjoyed Archive 81 quite a bit. I know nothing about the podcast. It leans you into the weirdness relatively slowly, characters act reasonably, not based in jump scares, a good amount of lore feeds into it, and the plot advances at a consistent pace throughout the show. If you like stuff that's just sorta creepy and supernatural with a bit of a Stranger Things + Ex Machina vibe, but aren't expecting 1000% quality, it's worth watching.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

Small correction: Kirsten doesn't kill him - one of his child followers does just as he's cornered Kirsten and her group. Then the kid kills himself as Kirsten pleads with him not too. It's... sad. But at the same time the prophet line is pretty low key in the book. It's definitely not the main story and wraps up well before the end of the book.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Nihonniboku posted:

The shows were actually being put together at the same time Upload just took longer to finish. Greg Daniels and Michael Schur have talked about the crazy coincidence of it a few times.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The shows were actually being put together at the same time Upload just took longer to finish. Greg Daniels and Michael Schur have talked about the crazy coincidence of it a few times.

IS the lead as uncharismatic as he appears in the trailer?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Golden Bee posted:

Do you have the * on the remote? That works for my Roku Box.

Thanks for this!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”.

That was quick.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just finished Archive 81 on Netflix and really liked it.

It reminded me a bit of a mix between The Shining and another horror movie from 2001 called Session 9, in a good way. For a good long while it still had me guessing about what the true nature of the events might be.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it was okay but I don’t remember Upload being especially funny.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

smackfu posted:

They did go with some "jokes" about the commercialization of the afterlife, the dead kid wanting to be a dead grown up and the relationship between dead guy and live gf but ultimately they fall flat against the horribleness of it all.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ozmunkeh posted:

I read this as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and was deeply confused.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

smackfu posted:

Upload isn't especially anything, to me. It's kinda funny, kinda neat, kinda interesting story. I will personally give S2 a shot but it's not something I feel like I'd need to finish, especially if there are better shows out there. Could improve quite a bit in S2 though, who knows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Just finished Archive 81 on Netflix and really liked it.

It reminded me a bit of a mix between The Shining and another horror movie from 2001 called Session 9, in a good way. For a good long while it still had me guessing about what the true nature of the events might be.

Overall it was good but the last 2 episodes dragged. They just confirm that the mystery is exactly what it looks like and from there it's wrapping up things for the two main characters. Which was fine, but wasn't too interesting imo. The twist at the end was decent though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Last Duel on HBO Max gets a mixed review from me. Matt Damon isn't a good enough actor to pull off what he's trying to do, and isn't helped by his rubbish, inconsistent accent. It's Kevin Costner as Robin Hood tier. The color grading is also annoying, I thought we finished with that poo poo a decade ago. And the overall story flow is choppy and rushed.

On the other hand, the story itself is interesting and pulls off a clever, Rashomon-esque presentation. And -- and I know you're not going to believe this -- Ben Affleck is remarkable in his role. Easily his best performance. He transforms into his role in a way I never would have thought possible.

The battle scenes and the titular duel are fantastic -- raw, brutal, intense.

Worth a watch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

The Last Duel on HBO Max gets a mixed review from me. Matt Damon isn't a good enough actor to pull off what he's trying to do, and isn't helped by his rubbish, inconsistent accent. It's Kevin Costner as Robin Hood tier. The color grading is also annoying, I thought we finished with that poo poo a decade ago. And the overall story flow is choppy and rushed.

On the other hand, the story itself is interesting and pulls off a clever, Rashomon-esque presentation. And -- and I know you're not going to believe this -- Ben Affleck is remarkable in his role. Easily his best performance. He transforms into his role in a way I never would have thought possible.

The battle scenes and the titular duel are fantastic -- raw, brutal, intense.

Worth a watch.

There's a The Last Duel thread if you wanna post about it some more. There's a really cool article about the movie in the thread.

It was definitely one of the best movies to come out last year

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I have to admit my biggest complaint with the last duel was the choice to bleach Ben affleck's hair, combined with Matt Damon's ridiculous mullet. Affleck's was far more egregious and it was incredibly distracting during all of his scenes. No one's hair looks like that, no one's. He looked like the lead singer of a lovely alternative band from 1998.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes the actual fight was pretty great. Matt Damon was ehh, and Ben Affleck was just pretty good. The bleached hair thing was stupid though, I agree.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really liked the hair choices. Played well with their characters

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ben Affleck: Blonde Sex Lord was actually one of my fave performances last year too.

I've only seen the first episode, but really enjoying The Afterparty on Apple so far. I love Sam Richardson, and the rest of the cast is stacked. Miller/Lord production with Chris Miller directing too, which I didn't realize going in.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I caught up on You, what an utterly batshit ride season 3 is

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched Mother/Android today. Woof. Bad dialogue, bad story, lots of choices made that are incomprehensible. Stay away! 2/5 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched Mother/Android today. Woof. Bad dialogue, bad story, lots of choices made that are incomprehensible. Stay away! 2/5 stars.

Yeah. Professional-looking enough compared to some of the streaming-trash sci-fi, but leaden and uninspired in every other way. Like, there is an extremely obvious twist in a movie featuring robots that look exactly like people, and the reveal is precisely who you think it will be. And the only interesting complication of that twist (the question of how does being with the couple actually get the robot past the security checkpoint) is not addressed. Really disappointing.