Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

I'm not going to defend saying it on national tv because lmao that's not something that should leave the group chats. But I still don't think he was wrong about RG3 being a cornball lol.

He deserved whatever punishmnet he got on that one tho, because that was incredibly stupid thing to say publicly on like loving First Take.

Never forget he was only on ESPN in the first place because he was fired from the Detroit Free Press for asking Rod Marinelli if he wished his daughter had married a better defensive coordinator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never forget he was only on ESPN in the first place because he was fired from the Detroit Free Press for asking Rod Marinelli if he wished his daughter had married a better defensive coordinator.

Sounds like he should be a poster here instead of in media.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I like defector and the deadcast but the new defector podcasts are very bad.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so jeff garcia called out mina

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1486738148721709056

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm kind of amazed the NEVER PLAYED THE GAME poo poo is still getting dropped in this day and age but welp

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm not super familiar with Kimes' work but people sure seem to like attacking / defending her on Twitter

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Who would win an Oklahoma drill between Mina Kimes and Al Michaels?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bip Roberts posted:

Who would win an Oklahoma drill between Mina Kimes and Al Michaels?

How drunk is Al in this scenario?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

morestuff posted:

I'm not super familiar with Kimes' work but people sure seem to like attacking / defending her on Twitter

She's football nerd twitter adjacent with a solid podcast and does tv stuff too. Basically Bill Barnwell with a better home recording setup. She always asks a somewhat malicious question to her guest from her dog Lenny, used to do it in a doggy voice until she actually had a Seahawks player on her podcast and died of embarrassment from doing it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah the Distraction is good but I listened to the one about names and there was just not enough to talk about. I'll check back once they've got some episodes under their belt.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Bip Roberts posted:

I like Normal Gossip just fine so far. It's like This American Life but for petty nonsense

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah I like Normal Gossip, but Namedropping feels like it should just be a Radiolab episode.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

She's a well-known woman who gets paid to talk about men's sports so of course that's going to happen.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
As far as opinions go hers are pretty straight forward and not remotely outlandish. But yeah she's a young woman so she's going to get attacked for everything no matter what.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

As far as opinions go hers are pretty straight forward and not remotely outlandish. But yeah she's a young woman so she's going to get attacked for everything no matter what.
I imagine she probably double-checks all the nooks and crannies all her hotel rooms too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She's also Asian, so add that into the equation of why people get particularly mad at her.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

Yeah the Distraction is good but I listened to the one about names and there was just not enough to talk about. I'll check back once they've got some episodes under their belt.

I love The Distraction but mostly because I will listen to anything Roth does up to, and including, his Hallmark Movie Review podcast he cohosts with Helldump alumnus Boniface.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Aw, it's deleted.

Read one of the stories and of course Garcia said not a single substantive word in response to her. If she was wrong it would have been easy to show it. He could have shown what Garopalo was doing outside of his 2 tds and 4 picks that was helping the team. He didn't because he couldn't. So he went to the tired garbage which, as Mina pointed out, for some strange reason he only aimed at her and none of the many male writers who made the exact same criticism of Garopalo.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 28, 2022

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I haven't heard or thought about the name Jeff Garcia in at least 12 years

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Benne posted:

I haven't heard or thought about the name Jeff Garcia in at least 12 years

Jeff Garcia being completely irrelevant all this time just to pop up for about half a day before being trashcanned back to wherever seems pretty on-brand.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wasn't Jeff Garcia a lovely QB who only won because of a strong defense and running game?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i so thoroughly forgot jeff garcia that i was confused for a while why stephen garcia was coming to jimmy's defense

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The X-man cometh posted:

Wasn't Jeff Garcia a lovely QB who only won because of a strong defense and running game?

During his time in Tampa Bay at 37, at the very end of his career, kinda. Earlier in his career, he was very good for the 49ers in the years after Steve Young was concussed out of the league. He was the main QB during Terrell Owens’ best years in San Francisco was the team was okay but not great in the early 00s. After they fell apart he bounced around a little (He’s on the Browns QB list/hydra, for example) before having a good stretch replacing an injured :mcnabb: in Philly one year and then a solid year or so in Tampa. His numbers don’t look great my modern pass insane NFL standards, but he was very well regarded for a stretch in there.

Doesn’t change that his tweet was dumb as gently caress.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

No, not at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah he never really won anything

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I remember when someone said something homophobic to Jeff Garcia and everyone being like "well actually he has a hot wife. "

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BWV posted:

I remember when someone said something homophobic to Jeff Garcia and everyone being like "well actually he has a hot wife. "

Wasn’t it TO?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
He was one of the better Niner QBs ever, and his leaving was the start of The Dark Years, featuring such luminaries as 'We Want Carr' and J.T. O'Sullivan

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol:

https://twitter.com/SkipBaylessShow/status/1486783082359566336

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Why would you ever

1) say this to your wife
2) broadcast it years later, or
3) tweet it out as a highlight

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Wasn’t it TO?

TO demanded a trade at least partly because he firmly believed Jeff was gay, I believe he said something to the effect of "If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck" wrt to his suspicion regarding Jeff.

IMO he was pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

??? How can his job be time consuming. His job is literally to form an opinion and never change it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the tragedy about skip bayless is that he could easily have his money and his cushy gig and just be doing schtick like every other professional sports windbag but i think that he genuinely believes in his Take Lifestyle and actually thinks what he does is important which is incredibly pitiful.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I mean, Skip has always been a notorious workaholic going back to his beat writer days. This isn't exactly new information.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

CharlestheHammer posted:

??? How can his job be time consuming. His job is literally to form an opinion and never change it

Also true of marriage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

I mean, Skip has always been a notorious workaholic going back to his beat writer days. This isn't exactly new information.

Yeah his evolving into a take machine aside, he’s always been buried in his work

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BWV posted:

Garcia's wife, when in Detroit, would routinely call into sports talk radio angry about people unhappy about her husband.

She was also a WWE wrestler or something, but got fired because people hated her.

Jeff and his wife are now divorced.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of Jeff and radio!

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1487205267293061120?s=21

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AsInHowe posted:

Garcia's wife, when in Detroit, would routinely call into sports talk radio angry about people unhappy about her husband.

She was also a WWE wrestler or something, but got fired because people hated her.

Jeff and his wife are now divorced.

She was a Playboy centerfold before WWE but her shining moment there there is notorious for being very, very lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1489037343113854989