Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Cleretic posted:

And to clarify, Exodia himself can't be Ashed. So if you want to keep them off of Exodia by stopping Exodia itself, your only angle would be to somehow banish or GY one of the pieces and then knock back any way for them to get it back in hand.

Can’t you just Droll Exodia decks instead of Ash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Can’t you just Droll Exodia decks instead of Ash?

You can, but Droll isn't a good card in best-of-one format. It's a sidedeck card you run to take out specific decks, it's not something you want to be maindecking.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tangent topic, but Droll could actually be pretty good for maindeck if Eldlich isn't a dominant part of the ladder right now. The other top meta decks ie. Lyrilusc/Tri, Drytron, and Virtual World all don't like getting Droll'd.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Hi guys so I heard enough raving about duel masters in magic threads that I gave it a try and first impression made it seem really bad. But I am open to being wrong and playing the right deck can alleviate a lot. I haven't spent any of my earned gems and only really played the blue eyes and monarch deck in the solo mode. The blue eyes deck made sense, either do the fair tribute thing or discard blue eyes to reanimate using the spell. On the other hand I couldn't get the monarch deck to flow. I was activating things and linking spells but it felt like I was spinning my wheels more than anything else. I think the last yugioh game I played was on the GBA or DS and i think that was already a stripped down version of paper for reference.

So before I uninstall I figured I should try crafting a deck that I might like. On arena my two go to decks at the moment are spirits which is a tribal deck that tries to only play cards on your opponent's turn which I don't think is an option and the other is madness where you discard cards for cost reduction and get the benefit of the cards that forced the discard. Example would be, play a card that says "draw 2 cards discard a card", discard a card that says "if discarded you can play this card for 1 mana" (normally the discarded card would cost 3 mana).

Is there anything like that out there? I'm generally okay playing lower power decks as long as it's not a "play 10 games win one type" situation

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MasterBuilder posted:

Hi guys so I heard enough raving about duel masters in magic threads that I gave it a try and first impression made it seem really bad. But I am open to being wrong and playing the right deck can alleviate a lot. I haven't spent any of my earned gems and only really played the blue eyes and monarch deck in the solo mode. The blue eyes deck made sense, either do the fair tribute thing or discard blue eyes to reanimate using the spell. On the other hand I couldn't get the monarch deck to flow. I was activating things and linking spells but it felt like I was spinning my wheels more than anything else. I think the last yugioh game I played was on the GBA or DS and i think that was already a stripped down version of paper for reference.

So before I uninstall I figured I should try crafting a deck that I might like. On arena my two go to decks at the moment are spirits which is a tribal deck that tries to only play cards on your opponent's turn which I don't think is an option and the other is madness where you discard cards for cost reduction and get the benefit of the cards that forced the discard. Example would be, play a card that says "draw 2 cards discard a card", discard a card that says "if discarded you can play this card for 1 mana" (normally the discarded card would cost 3 mana).

Is there anything like that out there? I'm generally okay playing lower power decks as long as it's not a "play 10 games win one type" situation

I think that second one sounds like Dark World. I don't know where they are in Master Duel or if they're any good in the modern game (I assume not), but they do exist.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That second deck sounds a lot like Dark World, an archetype that revolves around monsters who have additional effects on discard. It's an old archetype though and I don't think they're very good nowadays.

As for the first one, what do you mean by playing on the opponent's turn exactly? Trap-heavy decks will mostly be playing on the opponent's turn if that counts, and Eldlich is the face of Trap decks right now (and is one of the best decks around)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Magical Musketeers are also a deck that does some disruption plays from hand during your opponents turn. Crystrons summon synchro monsters on your opponents turn, but they're probably even less competitive as muskets. Probably?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The starter decks are not good but you can put together a strong deck using the starter gems. Remember that Yugioh's format is basically Legacy and it's moved on a very long way in terms of power level since 2004, you'll probably want to look up what modern decks look like.

I'd personally recommend Sky Strikers since they have a straightforward control playstyle and only require 3 Ultra Rares that aren't widely played staple cards (one of which you'll probably open in Stalwart Force).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So sounds like you want to play a control or midrange deck. Currently for control the big ones are eldlich and sky striker, both focus on powerful effects with high value, recyclable cards, both do a lot of their plays on the opponents turn and have simple gameplans more based on knowing your opponents deck than any complicated plays.
Do remember though, Trying to find parallels in yugioh with MTG is hard since yugioh has no universal resource mechanic and that renders a lot of comparisons pointless.

Or you could always go maximum go second unga bunga OTK, and theres several decks that allow that. Ancient Gears are always fun (though they have their rarities jacked up), Lunalights share a secret pack with Lyriluscs: Lunalights are "make a big indestructible monster" OTK, Lyriluscs are another control-midrangeish deck thats incredibly strong mixed with tribrigades.

And Id highly recommend playing through solo mode to get more acquainted with the game, especially in the unlockable duels where they have you play (or play against) some interesting decks, usually a form of hybrid or alternative gameplan deck.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the solo games another shot and see if I can find a video of someone playing the Dark world deck.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

A bit late but yeah I would also recommend Sky Strikers if you like control and want a deck that is in meta (not top tier but still very good).

You can play Dark World if you want but you won't win very often as it's probably not good enough to even be classified as rogue.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 27, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MasterBuilder posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the solo games another shot and see if I can find a video of someone playing the Dark world deck.

While it's by no means a current deck, if you want a taste of Dark World there's a Youtube series called The History of Yu-Gi-Oh where two guys play top-ranking decks from throughout the game's history, and the most recent episode actually did have one of them playing a Dark World deck from back when they were a surprise top competitor in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qILPyueVipk

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As an alternative to Dark World, Danger! also involves self discarding and is actually modern.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

As an alternative to Dark World, Danger! also involves self discarding and is actually modern.

Danger Dark World was a pretty good deck for a time. The synergy being that Dark World monsters only gain their effects if they are discarded for effect, not cost. So discarding off a Danger! monster works while something like Lightning Vortex does not, so do be considerate of that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If I had a dollar for every time I've gone "wait that's not once per turn???" and lost because of it... :negative:

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

:bignews:

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_TCG/status/1486748574813761541

Skill Drain beats lives!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Forget Skill Drain, E-TELE IS BACK BABY!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You can run 3 Raigeki now

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You can run 3 Raigeki now

Yeah but no one will.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vandar posted:

Yeah but no one will.
I really wanna see someone try, though.

TIGER TO ONE LUNALIGHTS BACK BAYBEEEEE

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

year of the tiger starts early

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I dunno if Fusion Destiny to 2 will really impact DPE

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 27, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm pretty sure the AI cheats in the final gem kinghts duel. Opening hand Effect Veiler every single time :argh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vandar posted:

Forget Skill Drain, E-TELE IS BACK BABY!

Uh yeah, i have two in my power rangers deck already

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Well now you can run a third to get the Blue Ranger out more consistently! :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The general reaction to Monster Gate's limiting makes me realize that if I were doing banlists, I'd randomly limit cards nobody is playing just to get people thinking about them.

Surely, putting Lava Golem to one means someone's using it for a combo somewhere, we just have to figure it out!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The going theory I've seen for Monster Gate's limiting is because it sets up Machina Ruinforce way too easily and that's something they want to nip in the bud now before it becomes an issue.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

Uh yeah, i have two in my power rangers deck already

Which of the power rangers decks are you power rangering?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Which of the power rangers decks are you power rangering?

Is there a power rangers other then super quant?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well them inzektors are like power rangers (I swear if you, yes you, mention Sentai I will loving riot), and also heroes are kinda like power rangers (yeah yeah Guyver, come at me), those other generic insects like C Ranger and such, those elemental ninjas are like when they went to the Ninja planet in the 1st movie after Ivan merc'd old white man Zordon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Well them inzektors are like power rangers (I swear if you, yes you, mention Sentai I will loving riot)

"Kamen Rider." The series you're looking for is "Kamen Rider."

Edit: Inzektor Hornet is just Kamen Rider Thebee with the serial numbers filed off, and the other comparisons aren't far off, either.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 28, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

girl dick energy posted:

"Kamen Rider." The series you're looking for is "Kamen Rider."

As are Masked Heroes, which are even less subtle about it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Inzektors are specifically Kamen Rider Kabuto while Masked HERO is more generic Rider stuff.
Super Quants are Super Sentai themed.
The original Elemental HERO are American superheroes.
Destiny HERO are supposed to be British things but they kind of lost the plot on that one a long time ago.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pff they're all Beetleborgs

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Beetleborgs are part of the Metal Heroes franchise, and those don't have a Yugioh counterpart yet. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And then you have multiple Machine archetypes that will seemingly randomly have a Fusion or XYZ or other Extra Deck type monster or two that is a very blatant riff on Brave and Sentai style robots

Though now that's got me thinking of the weirdness that is how Dinomists are completely lacking any Extra Deck type monsters(not counting the way regular Pendulums can interact with the Extra Deck as a graveyard replacement), but then again Dinomists are an oddly tiny and short lived archetype in general, especially for a Machine type one, which is a drat shame because both aesthetically and in how they play* they're one of my favorite modern archetypes and it irritates me that they're basically all but unplayable in the modern format unless you hybridize them with another type of deck which often results in some dull abomination that they're barely present in

*they're a perfect model for how I feel the game should be balanced around, that being "beatsticks with a few gimmicks to keep things interesting" rather than how it's currently balanced around "OTK solitaire where the goal is to waste 20 minutes of your opponent's life while keeping them from interacting with the game at all if possible"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Wait, if all the other HERO subtypes are different countries of superhero, what are Vision HEROes?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Wait, if all the other HERO subtypes are different countries of superhero, what are Vision HEROes?

Vision HEROes are from the future.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like how diverse the modern meta game actually is. Really hoping this new list doesn’t strangle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There's way more decks that are meta in goat or Edison or reaper or etc than in modern I think?