Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That's where I'm at. Road biking is Zen meditation for me. Nothing beyond this moment of pushing the pedals. Not thinking, just one endless moment. It's practically an entirely different sport from mountain biking, like as different as baseball and basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I ended up ordering a CX bike but since some suggested that 1x just won’t cut it for road biking I went with single speed.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 24, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

That's where I'm at. Road biking is Zen meditation for me. Nothing beyond this moment of pushing the pedals. Not thinking, just one endless moment. It's practically an entirely different sport from mountain biking, like as different as baseball and basketball.

same but yeah I'm listening to Nick and stav call everything gay for hours on end

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Gravel riding really is that sweet spot in between road and MTB. You're usually on low traffic dirt roads so you're very unlikely to get hit by a car and it's a bit more in nature than on the pavement, but it's also not as technical as MTB and doesn't require that level of technical focus or the risk of crashing yourself. Just cruising and pushing the pedals in a safe and scenic environment.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

e: wrong thread

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm just all about that utility life with my bike, and use it to compress transit and routine excercise into one time period

I can carry most of what I need to on the bike and I feel much more comfortable day to day cruising at 20-30 kmph on the meager bikeways listening to podcasts and audiobooks

Its genuinely faster and cheaper to ride a bike if there is good infrastructure , and I'm blessed to live where I do for it

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

regulargonzalez posted:

The road biking is kind of poo poo in nw NM compared to Denver so I decided to buy a mountain bike. I'm a 5'6" manlet and wanted to go with 27.5 tires but supply chain issues and being in the middle of nowhere means I take what I can get, which ended up being a Stumpjumper Comp Alloy.

It's cool and all but I think I'm just a roadie at heart. Hopefully it continues to grow on me. I do wonder if there's any kind of correlation between introversion and road biking, and extroversion and mountain biking.

I MTB to get away from people so I'm pretty sure that extrovert/introvert comparison is a load of crap lol. Like there's no better way to avoid other people than getting out into the woods.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

gohuskies posted:

Gravel riding really is that sweet spot in between road and MTB. You're usually on low traffic dirt roads so you're very unlikely to get hit by a car and it's a bit more in nature than on the pavement, but it's also not as technical as MTB and doesn't require that level of technical focus or the risk of crashing yourself. Just cruising and pushing the pedals in a safe and scenic environment.

Yeah this, also exploring an area is great on a gravel bike because you can go pretty fast on all types of terrain, and if poo poo gets too hairy you can just carry the bike over an obstacle.
I hate exploring on an mtb because you inevitably will be pedaling along some road for a while which is just really boring to me when I'm not riding my drop bar bike.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Adrenaline sports are good, endorphine sports are good. If you're jonesing for one, the other isn't going to scratch the itch

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Where I live, I do about 2 road rides and 4 MTB rides per week during trail season. I like both for different ways to exercise and be outside.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Eejit posted:

I like both for different ways to exercise and be outside.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Not in my personal experience -- I like riding trails by myself just fine. For me it's more technically demanding at a much lower safety threshold.
Very same. My LBS owner/operator regularly goes on multi-hour rides on his own.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

gohuskies posted:

I started out MTB with lots of switching off brain on peak district roads, and then deliberately moved to areas with canal and/or gravel commuting infrastructures, and now roads terrify me. Probably an era thing though, 80s and 90s there really were less cars on the road and in a lot of places you could hear them coming, also as I've got older and can't be told "don't be silly I'm not going too fast" I've realised how genuinely batshit insane my parents and their friends are behind the wheel on single lane Derbyshire B roads.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

anybody in the US order a bike or frame (or anything else, really) from chain reaction cycles or one of the other UK shops recently? How fast did you get your poo poo?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Clark Nova posted:

anybody in the US order a bike or frame (or anything else, really) from chain reaction cycles or one of the other UK shops recently? How fast did you get your poo poo?

I have ordered twice from Merlin, back in October and Christmas. The October order arrived in about 10 days, the order from the xmas holiday arrived under 3 weeks since they didn't seem to process it until January 4. Both times I ordered DTSwiss wheelsets and other misc bits. I'm in NYC.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

I’ve ordered from Wiggle a bunch and it’s usually about a week

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

first bicycle ride in 77 days today

a crispy 3 celsius but dry, finally

felt good. also hurt cause gently caress going slow lol

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Looking for some glasses I can wear at night when riding around the city. I have a pair of Tifosis, but the glare is pretty bad on the clear and redish lenses

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I discovered last year that if you have a pair you are attached to you can get anti-reflective coating/anti-glare coating done on your existing lenses at independent opticians :)

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Is repair of a clear coat basically just layers of automotive clear touchup paint, sanded smooth?

Moving company scratched, gouged the paint on my bike. Unsightly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just found a big staple in my tire that punctured the tube. Last time I replaced a tube I legitimately injured my thumb trying to force the tire back on. I know the tricks, but it's just a bitch to do. I feel like I should maintain my own bike, especially because I know I can do it, but I really hate replacing tires. I assume my bike shop charges too much for this like they do most things. Angry.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just found a big staple in my tire that punctured the tube. Last time I replaced a tube I legitimately injured my thumb trying to force the tire back on. I know the tricks, but it's just a bitch to do. I feel like I should maintain my own bike, especially because I know I can do it, but I really hate replacing tires. I assume my bike shop charges too much for this like they do most things. Angry.

It's a pain, but it gets easier the more you practice. Also, it feels good to know you're able to fix a problem when you're on your own and far from help.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think last time I had to use the zip tie trick. I have levers of course. I need a way to put force on it without using my thumb. I could probably just patch the tube, right? Do I need to patch the tire for such a small puncture? It was a staplegun staple.

(I just realized this should be in the maintenance thread, but that's the same group of posters, right)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
maybe try a tire jack? https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/equipment/tools/kool-stop-tire-bead-jack/

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think last time I had to use the zip tie trick. I have levers of course. I need a way to put force on it without using my thumb. I could probably just patch the tube, right? Do I need to patch the tire for such a small puncture? It was a staplegun staple.

(I just realized this should be in the maintenance thread, but that's the same group of posters, right)

quote:

First bead of the tire easily seats onto the rim.
For inner tubes, partially inflate tube so that it has some structure and place tube in the tire. Be careful not to pinch the tube.
TIP: Hold wheel horizontal to make it easier to get tube in the tire.
Place second bead of the tire on the rim. Leave the valvestem area last and note how tight it fits.
TIP: this lets you push the valve up into the tire at the last step so that you don’t pinch the tube.
Begin pinching both sides of the tire so that the beads of the tire fit inside the center channel of the rim, giving you more room to fit the last portion of the tire over the rim.
TIP: You may have to do this a couple times, but it will give you enough room to mount the tire without levers.
When it comes time to change your tire use this same method to loosen the tire up from the beads of the rim.

https://boydcycling.com/blogs/news/boyd-cycling-the-tire-mounting-trick

Getting the beads of the tire into the deepest part of the rim makes the rim effectively smaller and gives a lot more room to pop the final part of the tire on.

Definitely patch the tube. The tire is likely fine

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This popped up in my YouTube feed recently, can't vouch for it personally but there are plenty of people out there singing its praises
https://youtu.be/DF8_oyyADFA

No you don't need to patch the tyre.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just found a big staple in my tire that punctured the tube. Last time I replaced a tube I legitimately injured my thumb trying to force the tire back on.

If it's been a while, maybe the tire's loosened up some from road use. I sort of count on that for any tire that's been on there a while.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh my god that was so much easier than last time. I agree that it was probably the tire loosening up from use. It was brand new and incredibly stiff before.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Apparently quill stems require a special kind of extender.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Continuing the saddle derail from the The Show Us Your Bike thread : An LBS in my area offers a 'saddle fitting' using a pressure measurement (https://gebiomized.de/en/products/measurement/gp-bike/) that's supposed to help find a well fitting saddle.

Anyone have first hand experience with something like this? They charge 50€ for it, but I think that also comes with a 30day return policy on any saddle purchased, which sounds like a decent deal to me.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wonder how close you could get to the output of that with a piece of thick cardboard and a chair/stool?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In my experience, attempting to MacGyver and eyeball anything that a computer usually measures Ends Badly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Specialized Body Geometry fit method for saddles is (was? maybe they changed) indeed to have you sit with legs dangling onto a stiff pad of memory foam and measuring between the deepest points. That's just a reference for your pelvis width, and doesn't cover other important fit needs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Serendipitaet posted:

Continuing the saddle derail from the The Show Us Your Bike thread : An LBS in my area offers a 'saddle fitting' using a pressure measurement (https://gebiomized.de/en/products/measurement/gp-bike/) that's supposed to help find a well fitting saddle.

Anyone have first hand experience with something like this? They charge 50€ for it, but I think that also comes with a 30day return policy on any saddle purchased, which sounds like a decent deal to me.

Aluminum foil on a set of stairs works too.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If you can bend over to a riding position and touch your sit bones then you can bend over to a riding position and hold a cloth measuring tape between your sit bones. If you can't touch your sit bones then idk maybe you have a really good friend or something that's interested in staring in to the deepest part of your soul. Or yeah, foil, cardboard, foam are good slightly once removed less tmi versions of accomplishing the same thing.

Loaner programs really are amazing though. I got super lucky saddle hunting and nailed it in one. My wife was not so fortunate and finding a good saddle for her without a local program was a bit of a hassle.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
1x update: This thing is BUTTERY smooth but you’re right about the gear range! :imunfunny:

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Hello bike thread, long-term occasional lurker here looking for some advice, I hope you don't mind. Bikes are good, etc.

Through some very generous government subsidies I got a fantastic deal on a Yuba Mundo Lux cargo bike early last summer, and it's pretty much entirely replaced my old faithful commuter - between chauffeuring my little one to Kindergarten as part of my work commute, taking my older kid to viola class on the other side of town, doing the weekly shopping trip, and going on family bike-packing holidays around the countryside, I've clocked up somewhere around 1,700km on it since last June.

Behold, the yellow submarine!

Great amount of fun, highly recommended. It rides like a normal bike, feels solid and sturdy, and just opens up loads of possibilities - I've even used it to tow my wife's bike to a service when one of her brakes needed fixing.

One issue is the weight - by itself it's 22kg which is substantial, but easily manageable. It's geared well so with light loads (e.g. one kid) even hills aren't much of a problem. But with heavier loads (2 kids when my son is feeling lazy, or 1 kid plus camping gear), inclines become a bit of a schlep. Occasionally when the route gets fairly steep, I've even had to dismount and push, which is disappointing.

So my very naive question to you lovely well-informed posters: would it make sense for me to invest in SPD/clipless pedals and shoes? I've never tried anything other than flat pedals and sneakers before. My assumption is that SPD would allow me to pedal more efficiently (exerting upward force on the lift as well as downward force on the push) and so hopefully make long / steep routes more easily manageable. However, I associate that kind of tech more with road and mountain bikes. Does it make sense on a cargo bike? If so, recommendations for pedals / shoes? I'd be looking for something that I could wear in comfort and without looking out of place at my desk in the office.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Edit: Reduced massive bike-pic to thumbnail - didn't realize how huge it was when phone posting, sorry

AstraZenmaster fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 31, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The short answer is, it won't really help.

The longer answer is, studies I've read show minimal difference, usually within the margin of error. You have to make a deliberate, conscious effort to pull up on one leg as the other is pushing down and even then it is a small percentage more efficient. The bigger difference is in the feel, you feel much more connected to the bike (similar to how a manual transmission makes you feel more involved in the process of driving a car, even if it isn't actually any more efficient with modern automatic transmissions).

I have clipless on my road bike, flats on my mountain bike, and combo pedals on my city bike. They're all fine and it's more about the feel than the efficiency.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Depends on the type of cleats but one thing to be careful of is that, especially at low speeds on a high gradient and with a heavy bike/cargo, you may not have much time to get your foot out and on the floor if you need to suddenly stop, and may topple over. So I'd be hesitant to use any system you need to unclip. At least with flats there's never an issue with stopping.

People with proper cargo bikes will probably have more informed suggestions though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have giro flat pedal shoes that might be a good choice. Stuff soles can do lots of miles in them