Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That said, I liked the game and wouldn't mind a sequel. It's actually a bit odd that the big ol' soda/cereal powers that be haven't revived their old mascots and games to cash in on the retro/nostalgia trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Reading the Italian review and honestly wondering if they have played other Pokemon's.

quote:

useless interludes that seem to be placed there . just to act as filler and supporting actors that you would like to get rid of after a second

Does this not represent at least modern Pokemon games?

quote:

Whatever the message a story is intended to cover, this must transpire from the narrative, without external interventions that continually remind the user why he is living it. Especially here, Pokémon Legends: Arceus fails because it's the kind of writing that shows you a poké ball and then tells you "see, this is a poké ball."
Imagine writing all that for a children's game.

quote:

Over and over, the game forces us to do the same actions even when we don't want to, without the storyline or side missions coming to our rescue

Again, are we sure they've played a Pokemon game?

I love a good borat reference though

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 27, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I love reading reviews and I take them into account when I buy games NOT

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah, the reviews for this one seemed pretty inflated across the board.... I'm more interested in user reviews. People who have played the game are saying it's a fun fresh take but it's definitely rough around the edges, 7.5 to an 8 tier rather than 9s and 10s across the board. Still a good game but I'm skeptical about how many professional reviews seem to say hey, it's different without emphasizing whether different is good or not

Goon impressions a few weeks after launch are also usually really solid for me. I don'tn't trust professional reviews when it comes to anything Nintendo though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Play Star Wars Squadrons which brings back those old feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Actually looking at metacritic a lot more '80s and lower are starting to roll in for Arceus, so maybe it was just a matter of letting the dust settle. A lot of smaller outlets I've never heard of, but there's a few big boys there who are like. Yeah, this is an 80 at best. Fwiw I consider an 8/10 game very good but like c'mon 9s or 10s are for bloodbornes and resident evil 4s and Mario Odysseys

Either way goon impressions are my primary source, I'm semi interested in picking it up because a lot of my friends will likely grab it. But they also spend a lot of time in pokémon unite which I actively loathe, don't want to encourage the idea that I'm down to play that too! One of them already asked me hey, if you think this is fun, would you play League of Legends with me?

I became instantly angry!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Make seven

anatomi posted:

No. Cool Spot, gone crazy from failing to quench his thirst for the cool taste of 7-Up constantly promised at the end of each level but yanked away at the last moment, dies from drinking seawater during the credits.

The CEO of 7-Up Inc. at the time, Bob Dribbler, was so taken by the narrative that he declared Cool Spot's death canon. They sold a limited "in momoriam" run of 7UIp with sea salt that was quite frankly disgusting.

Up yours

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
*guy checking the review score of a game 5 seconds after the embargo lists and again at 10 minute intervals for the next 36 hours*

"Tbh I don't pay much attention to professional reviewers. I'd rather listen to players who I can trust, review scores don't mean much to me"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It doesn't exactly take a lot of time or effort to click on a website, your gaslighting efforts are meaningless here

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I had the Cool Spot game for GameBoy. It was just like that board game Othello or Reversi with a corporate mascot, but the soundtrack was bangin'.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

bushisms.txt posted:

Reading the Italian review and honestly wondering if they have played other Pokemon's.

Does this not represent at least modern Pokemon games?

Imagine writing all that for a children's game.

Again, are we sure they've played a Pokemon game?

I love a good borat reference though

it actually apepars to be the only one written by someone who plays pokemon andn as a fellow pokemaster who has played arceus, the entire review is incredibly accurate lol

also ve ry obvious u dont play them and are attemping to own them by vaguely grasping at what you think the games are like. in summation: Die.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
SwSh was really good despite the complainers so I’m willing to give this one a go too. I may buy physical so I can pawn it off to my young cousins if it’s bad

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

anatomi posted:

No. Cool Spot, gone crazy from failing to quench his thirst for the cool taste of 7-Up constantly promised at the end of each level but yanked away at the last moment, dies from drinking seawater during the credits.

The CEO of 7-Up Inc. at the time, Bob Dribbler, was so taken by the narrative that he declared Cool Spot's death canon. They sold a limited "in momoriam" run of 7UIp with sea salt that was quite frankly disgusting.

Cool Spot committed suicide when told that his character model in the video games was a Sprite™. :downsrim:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

KingSlime posted:

Yeah, the reviews for this one seemed pretty inflated across the board.... I'm more interested in user reviews. People who have played the game are saying it's a fun fresh take but it's definitely rough around the edges, 7.5 to an 8 tier rather than 9s and 10s across the board. Still a good game but I'm skeptical about how many professional reviews seem to say hey, it's different without emphasizing whether different is good or not

Goon impressions a few weeks after launch are also usually really solid for me. I don'tn't trust professional reviews when it comes to anything Nintendo though

ive played the game. its not fresh, its just recycling stuff from swoshi and sumo but worse. every zone looks the same. the first three areas have almost entirely the same pokemon for no reason. the boss "fights" are the most deranged braindead trash ive ever seen. the pokedex is a good idea executed so poorly it simply involves grinding out fights/captures to progress. the quests seemt o have been imported from an mmo from the 2000s because they largely involve walking long distances to get three lines of dialog telling you go all the way to the other side of the map for three lines of dialog. its the only pokemon game ive ever stopped playing. however im sure the braindead morons who give assassins creed good scores and played 6 hours of it love it and therefore, its the best one ever.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

hatty posted:

SwSh was really good despite the complainers so I’m willing to give this one a go too. I may buy physical so I can pawn it off to my young cousins if it’s bad

swsh pwns

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I continue playing New Pokemon Snap, the superior Pokemon game. :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mister Facetious posted:

Cool Spot committed suicide when told that his character model in the video games was a Sprite™. :downsrim:

gently caress. lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

I continue playing New Pokemon Snap, the superior Pokemon game. :colbert:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Evil Fluffy posted:

My condolences that you've never played TIE Fighter, XvT, or even XWA.

Yeah, I've heard those were good. Honestly Dead Space 1 is the best star wars game

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I bought a Quest 2 almost entirely to play Squadrons in VR, because my inner 10 year old would kill himself in shame if he knew adult me had the option to disappear into a very realistic virtual reality simulation of Star Wars space battles and hadn't pursued it.

It's loving great and almost entirely worth the cost of entry, for which Half Life Alyx makes up the remainder.

If any of you other Star Wars nerds have the option you should also get on it. It's clearly been made with a lot of respect for the original Tie Fighter/X Wing Alliance games.

I have one as well, everyone should also own Resident Evil 4 for it. It’s too bad my crippling anxiety prevents me from playing VR for any meaningful time. I have so many games I own on it that I feel like I would like but once I strap the headset on I feel like I’m being watched or something. It’s weird. Getting a bit drunk and playing was the only way I could stomach it. Since I stopped drinking I don’t think I’ve used it once.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Stux posted:

ive played the game.

Are you in Europe? I thought the game came out tomorrow.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
did u miss that the street date got broken like a whole week ago lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't look at leaks, no.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Italians broadcast Tifa having sex in front of the Italian Senate and it was broadcast on their national tv, so I regret to inform you Italians are good now.

I'm not surprised Mario is playing the field now that Peach has decided to enjoy the single life, but getting caught in that sex tape is still gonna hurt his image in the short term.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1486717404243660801

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this, is the thread content i need

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
it is I who nuts to that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
its hosed up that mario did 9/11

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2022

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Reviews for the Pokemon game sound interesting and good and I think I might buy it (first pokemon game purchased in like 20+ years).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Cool Spot is my go-to example for how the Genesis sometimes had better soundtracks for games than the SNES, since the Genesis version's music is fantastic and the SNES version's is much worse.

I can't get over Luigi being horrified as he reads about Hitler and WWII.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Cool Spot is my go-to example for how the Genesis sometimes had better soundtracks for games than the SNES, since the Genesis version's music is fantastic and the SNES version's is much worse.

I can't get over Luigi being horrified as he reads about Hitler and WWII.

"We-a were the-a baddies Mario?"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

ive played the game. its not fresh, its just recycling stuff from swoshi and sumo but worse. every zone looks the same. the first three areas have almost entirely the same pokemon for no reason. the boss "fights" are the most deranged braindead trash ive ever seen. the pokedex is a good idea executed so poorly it simply involves grinding out fights/captures to progress. the quests seemt o have been imported from an mmo from the 2000s because they largely involve walking long distances to get three lines of dialog telling you go all the way to the other side of the map for three lines of dialog. its the only pokemon game ive ever stopped playing. however im sure the braindead morons who give assassins creed good scores and played 6 hours of it love it and therefore, its the best one ever.

drat thanks for the write up, I mean it does look really poor/bad based on gameplay videos but I was hoping there's a good game in there given how positive some of the reviewers are. I'm all for supporting monster catching games getting innovative but I'm not super feeling this one, I'll tell my friends I'm busy with Elden Ring or something

At least SMTV owns, just got to the final open world area and I'm loving the plot/current antagonist(s)

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Taken out of context" my nuts, the writers and translators knew exactly what they were doing in Bowser's Inside Story, and it rules.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

anatomi posted:

This is so deranged I have to assume it is a poo poo post but I honestly can't tell. The 90s were a hell of a time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its hosed up that mario did 9/11

Its more hosed up bush invaded Afghanistan rather then italy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its more hosed up bush invaded Afghanistan rather then italy

mario is from the mushroom kingdom and not italy

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
italy doesn't have oil though

e: neither does the mushroom kingdom. if anything bush would use it as an excuse to invade mobius

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They have plenty of olive oil

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
https://twitter.com/ethanjhulbert/status/1486799878793490432

So Mario has canonically been both Jewish and Muslim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

https://twitter.com/ethanjhulbert/status/1486799878793490432

So Mario has canonically been both Jewish and Muslim.

fuckin hate italians