Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I can be special in human ways, as is everyone. Sure.

The kind of special that is implied by occultism is that the universe conforms itself to your understanding. Your revealed knowledge is better and more true than reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

In good q-adjacent news, Knowledge Fight have dropped a banger of an episode (641: formulaic objections). I don't want to spoil it but it's an absolute pro listen.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lord Stimperor posted:

In good q-adjacent news, Knowledge Fight have dropped a banger of an episode (641: formulaic objections). I don't want to spoil it but it's an absolute pro listen.

Holy poo poo, four hours?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Snowy posted:

Holy poo poo, four hours?

I’ve been listening all day and still have an hour left.

It owns.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This Jones testimony is making me laugh my rear end off six minutes in. He may understand that he’s lying, but there’s some kind of pathology going on, like some kind of personality disorder. He’s just destroying his life for no reason.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

This Jones testimony is making me laugh my rear end off six minutes in. He may understand that he’s lying, but there’s some kind of pathology going on, like some kind of personality disorder. He’s just destroying his life for no reason.

I find knowledge fight difficult to listen to. There’s just to much wacky chatter between the good commentary.

It’s just trying to hard to shoe horn in humor.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

I AM GRANDO posted:

That dril tweet about turning into a corncob is the Nostradamus of our time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

I'm not going to get into diagnosing people or anything but I will say that one of the most dangerous things about modern society is the way it allows people with very specific personality types to be repeatedly and hugely rewarded for their behaviour. Jones doesn't think he's lying on his show, the histrionics aren't (purely) an act, and he *definitely* 100% believes that he's going to get off scot-free when the jury "research Sandy Hook".

The testimony from the corporate representative is what it sounds like when someone knows they're lying but is looking for a way to spin things back to their own advantage, Jones' testimony is what it sounds like when someone actually believes the poo poo they're saying.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The question of 'is Jones rational or not?' has an objective answer that can be determined and has been shown at previous trials.

He is rational enough to understand that what he says on the air is not true and so is responsible for his actions.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Murgos posted:

I find knowledge fight difficult to listen to. There’s just to much wacky chatter between the good commentary.

It’s just trying to hard to shoe horn in humor.

lol that is quite a take. Quite possibly one of the least "shoehorning wackiness where it doesn't belong" shows ever.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I was so excited when I saw the title and how long it was. Those emails were rough. But he just wants to investigate and believe, because he's a journalist with a good heart!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murgos posted:

The question of 'is Jones rational or not?' has an objective answer that can be determined and has been shown at previous trials.

He is rational enough to understand that what he says on the air is not true and so is responsible for his actions.

I think the main issue is that he has been playing a character for decades and is very obviously abusing substances regularly. It's 100% confirmed he's an alcoholic and most likely does cocaine regularly at the least. The lines blur and he's been in the game for so long he's running on muscle memory so he starts defensively lying on the stands because that's what he's been doing regularly for 20+ years every day. I know he's been on air for much longer but he didn't really start on the bombastic decline he's been on since 9/11. Jon Ronson has talked about early encounters with him and how he's a much different person now than he was then. Not that he was ever good or honest, mind you, just that he had a level of honesty and humanity to occasionally shine through to people and that is now gone.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol that is quite a take. Quite possibly one of the least "shoehorning wackiness where it doesn't belong" shows ever.

Yea there’s a bare minimum of that. Also no idea how anyone survived that deposition with a straight face.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea there’s a bare minimum of that. Also no idea how anyone survived that deposition with a straight face.

Really? I've listened to the first 30 minutes so far and Jordan chimes in every 2 or 3 minutes with some wacky non-sequitur take that he cackles at and then Dan digresses for 30 seconds.

At one point when they were going off on a tangent about Godzilla and Mothra the guest had to shut them down and get them back on track.

I don't know if you all are just used to it or something but it it feels like a full third of the conversation is forced levity.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

Really? I've listened to the first 30 minutes so far and Jordan chimes in every 2 or 3 minutes with some wacky non-sequitur take that he cackles at and then Dan digresses for 30 seconds.

At one point when they were going off on a tangent about Godzilla and Mothra the guest had to shut them down and get them back on track.

I don't know if you all are just used to it or something but it it feels like a full third of the conversation is forced levity.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit :shrug:. Any interruptions, commentary or voice overs beat the hell out of listening to ads for online shrinks or whatever so I'll take it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Knowledge Fight definitely has a unique culture, but also they've been covering the same subject for over 5 years straight. I would cut them some slack if their attitude is a little lackadaisical since they've spent more time than any sane person should listening to Alex Jones.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

"I'm a policy wonk"

This whole thing has major morning shock jock vibes. Maybe it's what their going for, I dunno? The best way to understand your enemy is to become them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sounds like most podcasts. Maybe I'm just a killjoy but there aren't a lot of podcasts I listen to despite getting recommended them because it seems like there was a government mandate that stated that every podcast of two or more people have to have at least one person who absolutely refuses to shut the gently caress up when other people are talking. Which is weird because I've heard ads for Knowlege Fight in other places and it didn't seem like that type.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

eSporks posted:

"I'm a policy wonk"

This whole thing has major morning shock jock vibes. Maybe it's what their going for, I dunno? The best way to understand your enemy is to become them.

What shock jocks are you listening to?

They have the audio drops at the beginning and Jordan’s kind of loud, but “contains sound effects and jokes” describes the vast majority of podcasts. Like, you could say that about Serial and it would be just as true.

Can you unpack what you mean?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

eSporks posted:

"I'm a policy wonk"

It's a podcast, it's what Patreon supported podcasts do to make money

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I get that for a lawyer the whole thing is probably knee slapping funny even if it had no commentary.

I also get that having to inject basic legal theory into it every few minutes so that the non-lawyer listeners can understand the implications of whats being said could be very dry and scare off a lot of potential listeners without some levity.

I'm just suggesting that they turn the knob down a bit.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

What shock jocks are you listening to?

They have the audio drops at the beginning and Jordan’s kind of loud, but “contains sound effects and jokes” describes the vast majority of podcasts. Like, you could say that about Serial and it would be just as true.

Can you unpack what you mean?
I guess I don't listen to podcasts with sound boards and people being wacky? I dunno. I agree with the other poster that they just kinda go on tangents and I feel myself checking out and missing relevant things. I don't get a sense theres a script or much planning, just a coupla guys shooting the poo poo and saying shat cones to mind.

Yes I realize that describes a lot of podcasts, but I don't enjoy those ones either. I prefer more structure and substance.

It's very morning radio show and feels like trying to fill air time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

eSporks posted:

I guess I don't listen to podcasts with sound boards and people being wacky? I dunno. I agree with the other poster that they just kinda go on tangents and I feel myself checking out and missing relevant things. I don't get a sense theres a script or much planning, just a coupla guys shooting the poo poo and saying shat cones to mind.

Yes I realize that describes a lot of podcasts, but I don't enjoy those ones either. I prefer more structure and substance.

There's a popular Wheel of Time podcast that just put out a 7 hour episode reviewing the 1 hour 8th episode of the first season. Some people love that poo poo. :shrug:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

eSporks posted:

The policy wonk thing is just at the beginning. It really bothers me too so I usually skip the first couple minutes of the podcast. And they don't use sound effects beyond that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Jordan is an acquired taste.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I guess I find that interjections of humor make the insufferable more palatable to learn about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I can't think of anything that would be more unlistenable than a completely serious, substantive discussion of Alex Jones.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Also no idea how anyone survived that deposition with a straight face.

When I was a legal intern my boss reprimanded me for looking like I was suppressing a laugh during a deposition. Keeping a poker face is just another skill you have to learn.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess I find that interjections of humor make the insufferable more palatable to learn about.
Interjections of humor are fine, bit they just kinda go off on tangents, I tune out, then I miss things when they get back on topic.

It's fine though, not all podcasts are for everyone. This one's just a weird mix for me where it has enough substance it can't just be background noise, but at the same time it rambles enough I lose focus.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

eSporks posted:

Interjections of humor are fine, bit they just kinda go off on tangents, I tune out, then I miss things when they get back on topic.

It's fine though, not all podcasts are for everyone. This one's just a weird mix for me where it has enough substance it can't just be background noise, but at the same time it rambles enough I lose focus.

It's all good. I enjoyed it. Or AM enjoying it in bits and pieces. It goes down easier for me than the VICE and HBO docs on this sort of poo poo do, which make my blood boil and also create tears.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’m about 2 hours in now and I’ll say that after the first 45 to 50 minutes the wacky gets dialed way down and the comic interjections become relevant to the ongoing dialogue.

If you jump about an hour in it’s quite good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I've just listened to worse/more obnoxious podcasts. Jordan is practically an npr anchor compared to Brace on Trueanon

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm not listening to a four hour podcast could someone please summarize why Alex Jones is in particular trouble here?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm not listening to a four hour podcast could someone please summarize why Alex Jones is in particular trouble here?

He defaulted on the actual trial and was given a summary judgement.

This deposition is about how egregious were InfoWars actions so that a punitive damage can be assessed.

The deposition basically establishes that Alex Jones and infowars had substantial information to know that their sandy hook claims were false and that those false claims were hurting people. That is they were intentionally hurtful. Repeatedly. For years.

There may be more I have about an hour to go.

Oh yeah, also Alex Jones probably lied repeatedly under oath but I doubt that he gets dinged for that.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Murgos posted:

He defaulted on the actual trial and was given a summary judgement.

This deposition is about how egregious were InfoWars actions so that a punitive damage can be assessed.

The deposition basically establishes that Alex Jones and infowars had substantial information to know that their sandy hook claims were false and that those false claims were hurting people. That is they were intentionally hurtful. Repeatedly. For years.

There may be more I have about an hour to go.

Oh yeah, also Alex Jones probably lied repeatedly under oath but I doubt that he gets dinged for that.

Also of note: part of the damages calculus includes figuring out how many people would he have told the harmful lies to. In the deposition, he is goaded into claiming that his audience includes “up to 10% of the English-speaking world.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
10% of America and 10% of the rest of the world!
10% of the world?
10% of the rest of the English-speaking world!

It's a wonderful example of what happens when you try to Greatest Showman an actual cross-examination.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

10% of America and 10% of the rest of the world!
10% of the world?
10% of the rest of the English-speaking world!

It's a wonderful example of what happens when you try to Greatest Showman an actual cross-examination.

They didn't point it out but 10% of the world would be a bigger audience than for any event apart from the World Cup final and a couple of Olympic events. Even 10% of the Anglophone world would make it probably the most-watched television show in the world most weeks and certainly the biggest "news" show in the world by a *long* way (Fox News gets about 1% of just the US at most). I'm not sure what would be funnier, if they assessed his damages based on that number or if they made him release the actual numbers that show he actually gets less listeners than Dan and Jordan at this point.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My job is related to depositions, and something that doesn't get properly explained in this podcast is that when a deponent's attorney says "objection to form", that's a shortcut for saying "I want our objection to the form/phrasing of the question to be on the record". It's not an in-court pop culture "Objection!" that gets responded to with "overruled/sustained" and also isn't "don't answer that" as the deponent is still supposed to answer the question or at least clarify it before answering.

(there's a notable moment where the opposing attorney says "objection to form, don't answer that" in Daria's deposition, for instance)

I've got like 9 minutes left on this damned thing, it also took me p much all day to get through.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FFT posted:

My job is related to depositions, and something that doesn't get properly explained in this podcast is that when a deponent's attorney says "objection to form", that's a shortcut for saying "I want our objection to the form/phrasing of the question to be on the record". It's not an in-court pop culture "Objection!" that gets responded to with "overruled/sustained" and also isn't "don't answer that" as the deponent is still supposed to answer the question or at least clarify it before answering.

(there's a notable moment where the opposing attorney says "objection to form, don't answer that" in Daria's deposition, for instance)

I've got like 9 minutes left on this damned thing, it also took me p much all day to get through.

O thanks. I think they said that the first time Mark Bankston but I forgot it until you mentioned it, and it's good to keep in mind.

I spent a big chunk of yesterday coming up with tasks so I could keep listening. It was super engrossing in a soothingly fiddly way and it had its own staid drama to it. I was sort of bitching internally about them doing that extra long intro spiel at the beginning cause I listened to the rest of the series, but I guess lots of people were jumping in on this one so it's good they did it.

I want to buy everyone involved several beers and also can't wait to see the hammer drop on Alex Jones and InfoWar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

FFT posted:

From my naive perspective that was pretty obvious from the way everyone was generally ignoring the form objections except when brad contested in the moment. Even then, brad was like "object if you want mfer I'm going to sanction the gently caress out of you and you know this won't stand. Keep interrupting me, keep making this harder on yourself in an attempt to appear competent". And then after a milquetoast attempt to justify himself on the part of the defense, he says "um...Sorry...we're trying our best...please answer the question to the best of your ability."

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 28, 2022