Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Corbeau posted:

An indie game that claims this is almost certainly going into the trash bin given the odds of gathering a large enough multiplayer playerbase.

This is not an indie game. Crossfire is a huge game franchise in East Asia. The main game is literally the most played game in the world. It has a TV series and is going to get a movie this year.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh boy another new RTS with way too much focus on becoming the next big e-sport...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Balancing for pvp doesn't exclusively hurt the single player experience but it does kind of require the right mindset

"Every unit has a viable use case and players always have multiple good directions to go in" makes for a better pvp and single player experience. Underused and niche units or strategies getting buffed is always cool to see. Preventing multiplayer exploits, on the other hand, can definitely come at the detriment of single player.

100% don't trust an indie that sells itself on its multiplayer that will inevitably dry up though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hannibal posted:

I haven't looked at this yet but I highly enjoyed Deserts of Kharak when it came out.

I just finished a replay of Homeworld: Cataclysm (now called Emergence), still a pretty good game.

how the gently caress can you copyright 'cataclysm,' what a bunch of bullshit

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyway in strategy game news, I've been playing a bunch of Zero-K, and would heartily recommend. And it's cheap as free!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Fuligin posted:

anyway in strategy game news, I've been playing a bunch of Zero-K, and would heartily recommend. And it's cheap as free!

free sounds pretty good. this is the second time someone has said good things about zero-k recently (maybe you?). is it strictly multi or is there a single-player mode?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Trolling Thunder posted:

free sounds pretty good. this is the second time someone has said good things about zero-k recently (maybe you?). is it strictly multi or is there a single-player mode?

they just added a full campaign that's supposed to introduce you to the units n whatnot, yeah. mostly I get stoned and play skirmish

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Despite not having a story per se, the campaign is surprisingly fun.
Also Zero K got the best until control ever. The feature where you can "draw" the formation of your units is incredible and i wish every RTS had this option.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GyverMac posted:

Despite not having a story per se, the campaign is surprisingly fun.
Also Zero K got the best until control ever. The feature where you can "draw" the formation of your units is incredible and i wish every RTS had this option.

That's a Spring engine thing. Spring has some of the absolutely best features like that and being able to semi-automate resourcing and upgrades but I just hate its gamefeel.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I kinda expected a "gently caress off, nerd" for my competitive comment, but I'm glad I'm not alone in my feelings.

I'm just so, so very tired of every RTS trying to become the next great E-sport and make it big, only to crash and flame out in a spectacular fashion. :smith:

I feel like Zero-K would be a perfect example of this, you know, if it cost anything.

Still feels dumb to try and combine Supreme commander and Starcraft in one game.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of spring engine stuff, Beyond All Reason is in alpha now. A friend of mine played a bunch this weekend. It's clearly Balanced Annihilation with the serial numbers filed off. It's really good and you can kinda tell it's been being refined and balanced for a really long time. I think it's coming to steam eventually but it's just a standalone thing ATM. If you like Zero-K, you would like BAR.

It's also got a new PVE mode that's pretty different from the classic spring Chickens mode. We got our asses kicked because we suck but it was pretty cool nonetheless.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SavageMessiah posted:

Speaking of spring engine stuff, Beyond All Reason is in alpha now. A friend of mine played a bunch this weekend. It's clearly Balanced Annihilation with the serial numbers filed off. It's really good and you can kinda tell it's been being refined and balanced for a really long time. I think it's coming to steam eventually but it's just a standalone thing ATM. If you like Zero-K, you would like BAR.

It's also got a new PVE mode that's pretty different from the classic spring Chickens mode. We got our asses kicked because we suck but it was pretty cool nonetheless.
Yeah, it was a fork from BA, originally just as a graphics upgrade.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

SavageMessiah posted:

Same here, I got absolutely sucked into the Scavengers PvE mode this weekend. Pretty much all the TA units are there, including one I recognise from a mod pack. Very much enjoyed lasering dozens of units with giant robots, and gradually being overwhelmed by an AI that kept on stepping up it's game.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

i played a lot of TA as a kid and checked this out. it's really cool. i'm not a big pvper in RTS games so i like the 2 coop modes and the skirmish AI seems decent. the scavenger mode is basically how i'd play TA (build an enormous based and spam long range turrets)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

This feels a lot less like "a TA Spring game", too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Been on a bit of a Warhammer kick, playing that 40k mod for Men of War, and also the first Dawn of War. Speaking of DOW, while I like DOW2, more than the first game even, I've always wished there was one that hewed closer to Company of Heroes in scale and such. Basically what I wish DOW3 was instead of...that.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

Been on a bit of a Warhammer kick, playing that 40k mod for Men of War, and also the first Dawn of War. Speaking of DOW, while I like DOW2, more than the first game even, I've always wished there was one that hewed closer to Company of Heroes in scale and such. Basically what I wish DOW3 was instead of...that.

I like the first Dawn of War the most, since I feel can get away with doing the least micro. Company of Heroes and Relic’s more recent stuff.

I love strategy games and I’m so bad at them, lol

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Have you played Battlesector. It's pretty good and free on Game Pass if you have that.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's worth mentioning Mechanicus again. Both it and battle sector are very good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mordja posted:

It's all about Dark Crusade for me. Gimme a the strategy layer and let me go nuts! Soulstorm isn't bad, but there are enough things in it that annoy me...especially the way bases are reset everytime you re-fight on the same map...that I always end up back on Dark Crusade.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

jng2058 posted:

It's all about Dark Crusade for me. Gimme a the strategy layer and let me go nuts! Soulstorm isn't bad, but there are enough things in it that annoy me...especially the way bases are reset everytime you re-fight on the same map...that I always end up back on Dark Crusade.
Well I've just been doing compstomps with my brother, and all the mods are for SS so we just moved on to Ultimate Apocalypse...which, sure enough is still kind of a mess but it has a lot of big stompy toys to play with.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nebulous: Fleet command is out in early access and its excellent. Its a Homeworld style RTS but with an enormous amount of depth and EWAR as well as full ship customisation. Apparently made by a US navy guy so its pretty deep and goes a lot further into jamming/countermeasures/intel etc than most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcDlzuv4ujI

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Saros posted:

Nebulous: Fleet command is out in early access and its excellent. Its a Homeworld style RTS but with an enormous amount of depth and EWAR as well as full ship customisation. Apparently made by a US navy guy so its pretty deep and goes a lot further into jamming/countermeasures/intel etc than most games.

Ah looks sick. Reading the Expanse right now so really in the mood for blasting some Inners.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Saros posted:

That trailer gave me vibes of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Definitely something I will keep an eye on,

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
More Dawn of War stuff: The Elite mod for DOW2, which has basically become the default way to play multiplayer, I think, just released a new version with a full Ordo Malleus campaign. Loot, abilities and everything.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lFx4wfc8Tc

This actually looks really good, god drat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Where's my devastator tank

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

A Dune RTS? It'll never work.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Looks like a Paradox style real-time grand strategy set on Arrakis. Fun!

I hope they have Ordos and the stompy Atriedes mechs from the Westwood games, though it looks much more canon friendly than that series with the melee shields

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It's made by the Northgard folks, so decent chance there's some gameplay similarities there.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Northward was pretty close to being fun so hopefully this game improves on it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the whole eschewing single player mode for multiplayer e sports cred thing seems back asswards as hell to me because most of the best competitive games already have excellent single player campaigns. If they're doing it to just save a buck it'd at least be more honest and probably better received.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

The troops carrying handheld energy shields in the desert is really, really bugging me because I'm an insufferable pedant a lore purist.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, this actually looks kind of neat, a (free, standalone) Might & Magic total conversion for Myth II.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SrtfIKzA68

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mode 7 posted:

The troops carrying handheld energy shields in the desert is really, really bugging me because I'm an insufferable pedant a lore purist.

It's been ages since I've read it, what am I missing? They use the energy shields all the time, it's why they melee right?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They attract Sandworms if left on for too long.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oooooh, ty

Time for another reading I guess

What's the carrying capacity for the sand worm population out in those deserts?

And is spice worm poop?

I should definitely do a reread

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also shields in the books are generally projected from a belt to cover the whole body (or half the body which was an older style), not handheld like...actual shields.
But yeah it was specifically the fact that the frequency of a shield in operation calls sandworms.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

From memory, spice is the poop of the larval form of sandworms mixed with water underground forming a chemical mixture that then erupts up to the surface of the desert (This kills the crab planetologist) and dries out into spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybitD0-Mpqc
Empire at War isn't my favourite, but a bigass remake mod for it just came out that completely overhauls the space and ground combat, and the Galactic Conquest campaign in a big way. Plus it just makes an RTS from 2006 remarkably good looking.