Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Holy mackerel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Im fine with the minicrist but i think it might be a bit too punishing to get instagibbed as a light class cause a teammage shot a rocket at a pyro. But even with that i think its nice that you get some reward for a skilful test of reflexes (and unfortunately sometimes internet connection) as the pyro, though i wouod be fine it retained regular damage. 90 base damage is nothing to scoff at

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Reiley posted:

Holy mackerel.

sorry that has also been banned

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Phlogistinator does not reflect, but does give you crits on mphmhp unless the mod turns them off also?

I dunno, it seems a little wild to claim that the pyro has the most underserved kills or survival against other classes.

It is no secret that pyro is my favourite class because of the utility and fun (airblasting, sapper destruction, det jumping) so I am not the target audience for this server but I can think of reasons why not having pyro might be worse - ease of spy checking being gone would be horrid for engies and medics for example.

Ultimately, I am not sure about removing a whole class from the game but I hope this server works well for you.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ban solider imo, it's op

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean I'll admit if I had my own server I'd probably ban a couple weapons(Direct Hit, Wrangler, Short Circuit, Vaccinator, Diamondback, and all Sniper Rifles besides The Classic and Sydney Sleeper) or maybe modify if I could get someone to do the work for me(the weapons I mentioned prior plus a couple others like the Scorch Shot) but I agree with the others that you're taking it a step too far

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ArfJason posted:

it might be a bit too punishing to get instagibbed as a light class cause a teammage shot a rocket at a pyro.

its funny as hell tho

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Heck the only reason I hate the Direct Hit is because I feel it's 20% damage bonus being a universal one makes it too good against buildings*(and thus too much of a direct counter to Engineer), and if they changed it so the bonus only applies against players(and MvM bots) I would be completely fine with it as a weapon

*sure the LnL outright has a damage bonus against buildings but in that case it also is a much more awkward weapon to use(having an arc) and also is a lot harder to use well against players(since it can't do rollers) so it's a fair trade

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's called Quake. What you want to play is Quake.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 27, 2022

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.

girl dick energy posted:

It's called Quake. What you want to play is Quake.
Could've made an Open Fortress server or something then, God knows those have all been left in the dust.

What is it with TF2 and it always being abandoned by developers working on it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Popputan posted:

What is it with TF2 and it always being abandoned by developers working on it?
To be fair, TF2 Classic didn't get abandoned, Valve stabbed it to death in a back alley.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been playing quite a lot lately (Just reached 3000 hours) and can confirm the game is still tremendous fun.

Would love a Valve team to actually spend full time on it like before, and maybe it will somehow happen, but the fact I can still get 80% good games (no bots or cheaters) is a miracle so late in its life.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

To be fair, TF2 Classic didn't get abandoned, Valve stabbed it to death in a back alley.

I feel like something will come of that, cause if it was just dead for good they probably would have said so by now, it's probably just taking forever due to Valve being sluggish at even the best of times

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
this guy has some real big "i'm a 'soldier main' and never use the shotgun" energy

i know because i play 90% gunboats soldier these days and while i do occasionally get a bit rustled when a good pyro dunks on me repeatedly, i still can't imagine getting so heated that i think "no pyros allowed on my sooper speshul server" is a good or fun or balanced plan

ps. unnerf the axtinguisher

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
ZestyJesus account spotted

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
just play +forward chicken with the pyro, not firing rocket until he airblasts first

they always airblast first.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pyro change log
- Health reduced to 50 due to long term exposure to toxic fumes.

- Speed reduced to 10 fpm due to weight of fuel tank

- Fireproof suit blocks usage of health items

- Ammo pick ups only refill shotgun ammunition

All Classes

- MvM power up flask can now be used to douse flames

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Been playing quite a lot lately (Just reached 3000 hours) and can confirm the game is still tremendous fun.

Would love a Valve team to actually spend full time on it like before, and maybe it will somehow happen, but the fact I can still get 80% good games (no bots or cheaters) is a miracle so late in its life.

i know that the meme is that valve left tf2 to die (which i mean yeah) but some people always miss the fact this game had been getting content updates 10 years into its lifecycle. like outside of mega succesful mmorpgs or mobas, what other games do that. yearly call of duty releases taught people nothing it seems, though we do seem to be approaching a "Lifestyle game" domination due to the budget required to make new games, so games are now given regular content drops. but will idk apex last 10+ years?

its a shame its death would mostly be due to cheaters, but if it just never got updates again, well, it was an outstanding run.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ArfJason posted:

i know that the meme is that valve left tf2 to die (which i mean yeah) but some people always miss the fact this game had been getting content updates 10 years into its lifecycle. like outside of mega succesful mmorpgs or mobas, what other games do that. yearly call of duty releases taught people nothing it seems, though we do seem to be approaching a "Lifestyle game" domination due to the budget required to make new games, so games are now given regular content drops. but will idk apex last 10+ years?

its a shame its death would mostly be due to cheaters, but if it just never got updates again, well, it was an outstanding run.

I 100% agree. When I say full team I mean like in the early days with The Scout and Medic updates, with comics and all sorts of things and there was a dedicated Adrian and Robin space talking about what they would do. That sort of heyday team (which I know is not particularly feasible).

Bread_space is a great payload map and that only got added a few weeks ago so there are definitely some people doing things.
I genuinely do not see games like Apex lasting the way this has - because of the nature of the games. TF2 has something in the genes that similar games do not - and I think it is probably the emphasis on teamwork.

I would class this is more a Runescape consciousness kind of game: Will always be around in some capacity with people playing - it has had those 10+ years to carve a section of the gaming world and lodge in there and cannot be removed.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Pyro is good

https://youtu.be/9S8uJKNuXQY

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

when most people say that a server is "no fun allowed" they mean that it is overly competitive or prohibits the use of sub-optimal, gimmicky playstyles. they don't actually go out of their way to prevent people from having fun, because if they did that then people would not play on them. this seems to be a misconception that you were under when creating your whitelist

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That server owns OP, don't let the haters and the trolls tell you otherwise

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Im fine with the minicrist but i think it might be a bit too punishing to get instagibbed as a light class cause a teammage shot a rocket at a pyro. But even with that i think its nice that you get some reward for a skilful test of reflexes (and unfortunately sometimes internet connection) as the pyro, though i wouod be fine it retained regular damage. 90 base damage is nothing to scoff at

i think soldier dying when he gets reflected twice is good, as is sniper dying when he gets reflected once. and i would never accept the removal of my all time favourite tactic: one-shotting engineers by reflecting sentry rockets into them. a reflected projectile should only minicrit the person who fired it, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

removing pyro and in the same breath allowing 0.2s headshot deleting of half the game is some pretty wild poo poo, good luck sir madam or nonbinary pal

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

i think soldier dying when he gets reflected twice is good, as is sniper dying when he gets reflected once. and i would never accept the removal of my all time favourite tactic: one-shotting engineers by reflecting sentry rockets into them. a reflected projectile should only minicrit the person who fired it, though.

i agree, although it should also count against medics that are latched onto the person who fired it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

removing pyro and in the same breath allowing 0.2s headshot deleting of half the game is some pretty wild poo poo, good luck sir madam or nonbinary pal

there's some incredibly nutty logic at play but I think my actual favourite is banning the atomizer for having situational minicrits which allow it to deal a staggering 5 extra damage, sometimes, on one of the least useful weapon types in the game

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Also I didn't actually respond to their reply to me but my retort would be that I would not fix my perceived problems with the Pyro by simply deleting the Pyro as that would have knock-on effects for the rest of the game and also make people who enjoy playing Pyro, like our good friend VideoGames, upset.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
When The Deleter is telling you that you deleted the wrong stuff, you done hosed up.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Username decisions made 12 years ago finally paying off.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Also I didn't actually respond to their reply to me but my retort would be that I would not fix my perceived problems with the Pyro by simply deleting the Pyro as that would have knock-on effects for the rest of the game and also make people who enjoy playing Pyro, like our good friend VideoGames, upset.

Haha, that is very kind of you :3:

I totally get how pyro can annoy (lord knows when I go off with the detonator I am seriously irritating to play against) but I feel the squishiness of the character offsets it a lot. I also do not think many pyros are tough to counter. I am better with airblast than most, but all you need to do is bait me with rockets or grenades and chances are higher that I will mess up than you will. The best way to avoid M1+W is probably A or D + M1 (at least this is what I type in chat when people call me an M1+W player ;)).

Any class being fully removed from the game changes it fundamentally if it is not a strict, strict, strict ruleset like 6s and even then they can run all kind of classes based on the situation the match is in.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah my problem with Pyro isn't that some chump will run at you holding m1 down and immediately get owned. If you get two or three of them on the enemy team trying it, then you kinda just sigh and kill them and shrug off whoever they managed to kill. They're annoying but they aren't really contributing in the same way a Pyro that can reflect well does.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

im not the greatest but ill never pass up a chance to post my sick pyro frags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQRGVMdY_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8j-yMM2gM

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I thought we'd maybe had a snifter of an update with this many replies to read but nope, it's just a server idea dumber than 24/7 orange

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ArfJason posted:

im not the greatest but ill never pass up a chance to post my sick pyro frags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQRGVMdY_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8j-yMM2gM

You should be ashamed of yourself for using the scorch shot. :colbert:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lol yeah i started using the detonator shortly before stopping playing

but hey i should at least get some credit for doing the sensible boring thing and bringing out the shotty a couple times

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Deleter posted:

I actually had a whole paragraph predicting the knock-on effects that removing the Pyro would have. Nothing to keep Soldiers, Demos and Spies in check, so no one plays Engi. No Engi, so Scouts become endemic. Scouts are endemic and there's nowhere to fall back to, so Medics and Snipers become endangered. Even the Spies would starve themselves out with all their food being overhunted. Basically, it'd be a game just full of fast shotgun guys, medium-speed explosive guys, and the occasional big minigun guy. It'd be Quake.

Then I realized just saying what they want to play is Quake is both more pithy and less open to nitpicky counterarguments.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 27, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ironically one of my suggested changes for the pyro was replacing their flamethrowers with the quake lightning gun but people don't wanna read all those words about my very bad game design ideas

Flares would be replaced with him throwing batteries at people like a Philadelphia eagles fan

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

I thought we'd maybe had a snifter of an update with this many replies to read but nope, it's just a server idea dumber than 24/7 orange

24/7 allcrit lowgrav orange rules though

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Also I forgot how the lightning gun works so maybe don't give that to pyro lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Deleter posted:

Ironically one of my suggested changes for the pyro was replacing their flamethrowers with the quake lightning gun but people don't wanna read all those words about my very bad game design ideas

Flares would be replaced with him throwing batteries at people like a Philadelphia eagles fan

Make it so that it can electrify pools of water and I'm sold. I'm coming for you, 2fort