Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i watched it last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also this has made catching up on my VN backlog quite difficult

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
You should have also watched it this week

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think crow's gonna have me watch it tomorrow or something idr when our aew watching is

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Good crow

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my blu ray and dvd set of outlaw star arrived today. it has separate blu rays and dvds, what a value!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

dogsicle posted:

i assume biscuit hammer anime will sail under expectations

i watch one anime a year and i am going to believe in biscuit hammer for now

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Piracy concerns on home media used to be a pretty big deal back then because american distribution of anime relied entirely on dvd sales and not a lot made a huge profit. It turns out though once poo poo is made accessible and doesn't cost too much money, people are more willing to spend money to watch anime. Now you just pirate because Netflix's subtitles for their anime all suck and watching it with the dub script or subbed by other people is a way better option than reading netflix subs.

Cost being the main driver there. It used to be industry standard to pay $30 for a disc with 3 or 4 episodes on it. I have multiple series that I bought as they released at $200-250 retail for a 24-26 episode series. Ironically, right around the time prices started to drop was when I decided to move away from physical media because of the space they take up. Nowadays, with licenses being dropped and shuffled and things disappearing from streaming services, I may have to get back into hoarding discs again.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How big was Galaxy Angel actually? Every time I see it mentioned I feel this huge shock because for me it was the weird cartoon my cousin put on to distract me instead of babysitting me and I feel like I have never heard of anyone else ever watching this weird show.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xun posted:

How big was Galaxy Angel actually? Every time I see it mentioned I feel this huge shock because for me it was the weird cartoon my cousin put on to distract me instead of babysitting me and I feel like I have never heard of anyone else ever watching this weird show.

I played the games first, weirdly enough, but it got like what, three seasons?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Galaxy Angel was huge. There were like five games and five seasons of the anime and a ton of merch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of course the games are also a fairly serious war drama plot while the anime is complete nonsense, which causes some disconnect in retrospect even if it was easy to separate them at the time.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xun posted:

The galaxy angel anime was pretty mindless, yeah. Entirely skippable fluff, but I still watched all of it. Or at least the first series.

Supposedly it was part of a popular, long-running series of dating sim / strategy games. And there was a manga as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah the games are basically Sakura Wars clones except a squad based RTS instead of a SRPG. War between two space kingdoms kinda thing. Tact and Lester were cool, the only character from the Dark Angels I can remember is Camus. They were fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nipponophile posted:

Cost being the main driver there. It used to be industry standard to pay $30 for a disc with 3 or 4 episodes on it. I have multiple series that I bought as they released at $200-250 retail for a 24-26 episode series. Ironically, right around the time prices started to drop was when I decided to move away from physical media because of the space they take up. Nowadays, with licenses being dropped and shuffled and things disappearing from streaming services, I may have to get back into hoarding discs again.

I've just been buying the series I really like and it's not been to expensive. Everything generally tends to release as complete series now unless it's a newer series where depending on what it is it either gets a complete series months after the fact or you get like a season 1 and 2 set that's like the first and second half of a show.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Except Aniplex, aniplex is an obscene amount of money.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if your internet isn't fast enough to stream videos Funimation helpfully lets you download episodes to watch offline (to a mobile app) but the subs end up so out of sync that it's unwatchable :buddy:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Galaxy Angel (the anime) was great because no other shows have the guts to kill off the entire cast in an episode and then pretend it never happened next time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Space Dandy literally did do that, multiple times.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
cowboy bebop did that too didnt it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
bang dream girls band party pico

unfortunately it only grows more cowardly with each season it gets

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mycophobia posted:

cowboy bebop did that too didnt it

Ed survived and she ate the monster in her sleep.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1486353236042780672?s=20

hell yeah more people should watch dennou coil

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
how is akanesasu shoujo so good

I'm going to post a variant on that every night until I either finish it or it stops being incredible and I feel like the former will happen first

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
because the first episode was set up and they do two-episode arcs focusing on each character after that, and I'm watching two episodes a night, I'm shahrazading myself, ending on a cliffhanger each night

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its disappearance from Hidive makes more sense now, kinda sucks that it sat in limbo between services for so long though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm real excited for The Orbital Children too. Wild that he hasn't directed anything since Dennou Coil but I guess now is the time for a bunch of sci-fi anime directors to get the reins again.

2022 looking to be a drat fine year for anime movies.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Piracy concerns on home media used to be a pretty big deal back then because american distribution of anime relied entirely on dvd sales and not a lot made a huge profit. It turns out though once poo poo is made accessible and doesn't cost too much money, people are more willing to spend money to watch anime. Now you just pirate because Netflix's subtitles for their anime all suck and watching it with the dub script or subbed by other people is a way better option than reading netflix subs.

i've unironically considered developing and pitching netflix a proper video subtitling library more than once but there's 0 chance they'd even respond to my email

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

marumaru posted:

i've unironically considered developing and pitching netflix a proper video subtitling library more than once but there's 0 chance they'd even respond to my email

Why, aegisub already exists and everyone knows about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I think they'd have to basically redo how their player handles subtitles to accommodate.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

marumaru posted:

So the translations are still poo poo but will be styled like Hidamari Sketch fansubs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
speaking of translations, I feel bad for whoever translated akanesasu having to figure out what the hell to do with the word "yabai". The teenage slang word that can mean anything you want depending on context and whose relative abundance in different characters' speech is the subject of repeated jokes

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
nothing beats tv-nihon sub levels of leaving poo poo in japanese in the subtitles, then adding a note saying what they mean in English

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Willo567 posted:

nothing beats tv-nihon sub levels of leaving poo poo in japanese in the subtitles, then adding a note saying what they mean in English

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lmao

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

this is like 60% of a funny bad sub because they at least got a weird creature there to contend with

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah at the very least kudan is like. a specific name for a specific thing. "human-faced bovine" isn't quite as snappy a name