Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

what do you mean? i thought she did a pretty good job.

she wasn't always an old lady

i’d never heard her do cartoon child voice and it was surprisingly good is what i meant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah. well, yeah, she's always been notably good at voices and accents:

quote:

Streep is well known for her ability to imitate a wide range of accents[222] – from Danish in Out of Africa (1985) to British Received Pronunciation in The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981), Plenty (1985), and The Iron Lady (2011); Italian in The Bridges of Madison County (1995); a southern American accent in The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979); a Minnesota accent in A Prairie Home Companion (2006); Upstate New York in Ironweed (1987); and a heavy Bronx accent in Doubt (2008). Streep has stated that she grew up listening to artists such as Barbra Streisand, the Beatles, and Bob Dylan, and she learned a lot about how to use her voice, her "instrument", by listening to Barbra Streisand's albums.[223] In the film Evil Angels (1988, released in the U.S. as A Cry in the Dark), in which she portrays a New Zealand transplant to Australia, Streep developed a hybrid of Australian and New Zealand English. Her performance received the Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role,[87][88] as well as Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival, and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress.[90]

For her role in the film Sophie's Choice (1982), Streep spoke both English and German with a Polish accent, as well as Polish itself.[224] In The Iron Lady, she reproduced the vocal style of Margaret Thatcher from the time before Thatcher became Britain's Prime Minister, and after she had taken elocution lessons to change her pitch, pronunciation, and delivery.[225][224] Streep has commented that using accents as part of her acting is a technique she views as an obvious requirement in her portrayal of a character.[226] When questioned in Belfast as to how she reproduces different accents, Streep replied in a reportedly "perfect" Belfast accent: "I listen."[227][228][226]

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
streep has a good claim to be the greatest film actor of all time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that owns so hard. off to download a bunch of meryl streep movies now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

she's very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPUedwHP_Ro

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i don't think i've seen a single streep film. i've always wanted to watch death becomes her and postcards from the edge, i guess

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
death becomes her is good

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1486401193341448195

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

special bonus: amy sidaris fucks a jawa

p sure there’s just like an open call for anyone remotely famous to do a cameo on that show

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

death becomes her is good

it's an all timer, i love that movie. i don't think i've seen her in a drama though. gotta fix that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

p sure there’s just like an open call for anyone remotely famous to do a cameo on that show

it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a line

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hungryiancurtis/status/1486469398667923456

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I want Michael Bay to do a sequel to The Rock where Cage is this crazy old chemist they get out of supermax to help a young hotshot SEAL infiltrate idk *throws darts at vision board* an Antarctic science base. cross over with the Thing while you’re at it why not let’s goooo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Okay, misato is cancelled, now meryl streep is my wifu. god drat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

indigi posted:

I want Michael Bay to do a sequel to The Rock where Cage is this crazy old chemist they get out of supermax to help a young hotshot SEAL infiltrate idk *throws darts at vision board* an Antarctic science base. cross over with the Thing while you’re at it why not let’s goooo

cant catch lightning twice or whatever the saying is

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/michaelmann/status/1483848098698858498

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
what

e: it’s a novel? what

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

indigi posted:

what

e: it’s a novel? what

some ghostwriter had a convincing pitch

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

O_O

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, who is that they got to play steve ballmer?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

are there any actors male or female out right now that could pull off the same kind of intense dynamic that pacino and deniro had in the 90s?

i am not trying to be facetious, i legitimately don't watch a lot of new movies and i am struggling to come up with exceptional younger actors that haven't all just given up and started doing comic book stuff.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 27, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

joe rogan and a five foot tall slim jim

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

polyester concept posted:

are there any actors male or female out right now that could pull off the same kind of intense dynamic that pacino and deniro had in the 90s?

i am not trying to be facetious, i legitimately don't watch a lot of new movies and i am struggling to come up with exceptional younger actors that haven't all just given up and started doing comic book stuff.

lol I’ve been trying to answer the same question all morning. Oscar Isaac and Jake Gyllenhaal was the best pair I came up with, and Oscar is busy with Moon Knight and Metal Gear Solid for who knows how long lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

indigi posted:

lol I’ve been trying to answer the same question all morning. Oscar Isaac and Jake Gyllenhaal was the best pair I came up with, and Oscar is busy with Moon Knight and Metal Gear Solid for who knows how long lol

yeah you are right, i was thinking oscar isaac but forgot about jake gyllenhaal

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

polyester concept posted:

yeah you are right, i was thinking oscar isaac but forgot about jake gyllenhaal

it gets really dire if you’re looking at guys in their 30s or late 20s, like I can’t think of a young male actor who’s on the road to being that kind of beat-the-brakes-off-a-script actor. Pattinson, maybe?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal is also busy with comic book stuff, but the comic is Prophet

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

pseudorandom name posted:

Jake Gyllenhaal is also busy with comic book stuff, but the comic is Prophet

I’ve never heard of that comic. let me just google and see what

oh.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I just found out there's warhammer 40k anime now. I saw a clip of a techpriest and it looked okay. has anyone watched it? should I bother?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have to assume it is the 2012 Image Comics Prophet rather than the original Rob Liefeld Prophet, otherwise there is literally no reason to make a movie

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
andrew garfield was really good in under the silver lake

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I just found out there's warhammer 40k anime now. I saw a clip of a techpriest and it looked okay. has anyone watched it? should I bother?

Pirate it if you can. There's two animated series rn and another one coming up. Hammer and Bolter is the anime looking one, it's sort of an anthology of random shorts. Angels of Death is a cgi series about the Blood Angels. It's alright, has some cool moments. GW hired the animator that did the Helsreach short a few years ago to do Angels of Death. They also hired the Astartes animator but they haven't put out anything new yet. The next upcoming animation is about the Tau and it's called The Exodite.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

I have to assume it is the 2012 Image Comics Prophet rather than the original Rob Liefeld Prophet, otherwise there is literally no reason to make a movie

brandon graham's prophet is a loving excellent weird space Conan about an old guy fighting an empire of clones of himself

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive been listening to robert e howard conan on librivox and it is not very good. it does, however, highlight how much better edgar rice burroughs is at writing than howard, given that they were basically doing the same thing

maybe i should just listen to tarzan instead idk

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHxzsbAZZc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
kakihara and majima are the best yakuza

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Someone posted a Tumblr gifset from DOBERMANN (1997) which I have not thought about in decades; never released with an english dub but the original French with Subs is in the ~Movie Pipe~ now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZqhmZ6koU

edit: oh nice, a little 'Making of ' featurette, love stuff like this. The first sequence of the guy getting thrown out of the mail truck is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1peRRifyE4

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that reminds me

who was re-watching brotherhood of the wolf and did it hold up