Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's still in charge of the D&D franchise:

Assuming that he didn't fail to put an end date on his LinkedIn, sure.

My old boss is two jobs removed from when I worked for her, and she's still listed as the compliance officer of that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
In addition to the project manager shuffle, I've also see a fair share of worthless managers fill multiple seats and roles simultaneously specifically because they don't do anything. Sometimes people higher than them know it's just resume padding, other times they genuinely think that person is a dynamo who is specifically the reason anything gets done.
So yeah it's really hard to read the tea leaves about Mearls and his positions. It really could range from WotC thinks he's a golden child that can do no wrong, to just parking him places because he has some marginal degree of utility and institutional knowledge and replacing it would cost more than paying him just for access to it and anything in between.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My guess is that it's a combo of institutional inertia and Mearls not having done anything anyone at WotC or Hasbro actually find disagreeable while also having sufficient seniority to not be turfed out on a whim. Whatever the elfgame equivalent of tenure is, Mearls is sufficiently enough of an old boy to benefit from whatever old boy's network exists at WotC.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Coolness Averted posted:

Did IGG ever make its policies more backer friendly? I still only know them as "the place scummy creators went to after KS said 'you have to actually attempt to fufill your project, and can't just take the money and run,'" IGG specifically sprung up because they let projects keep all pledges even if the threshold to fully fund the project wasn't met. That's all they are in my mind, and I have to imagine there's some other consumers who have the same impression. Maybe since that was now almost a decade ago people have forgotten about it?

I know this is an older post that was partially answered, but yeah Indiegogo has had the Kickstarter-style all or nothing funding threshold for a long time. It's just kind of dealt with the problem of always being in Kickstarter's shadow and that early funk of the "We'll take any money you give us and run!!" from its more notorious funding option. I wouldn't be surprised if Paypal antics also played a role in Indiegogo's bad rap. They used to use Paypal as a selling point because it's more widely accessible globally, but Paypal didn't like crowfunding schemas and I think now Indiegogo uses Stripe just like Kickstarter does.

They also go for different audiences. Like the tabletop games on Kickstarter is something around 50% of the total funding on the platform. It makes smart sense to try to court some of that audience to move over to Indiegogo, especially the... well "indie" projects Kickstarter has been taking a lot of massive dumps on lately.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know this is an older post that was partially answered, but yeah Indiegogo has had the Kickstarter-style all or nothing funding threshold for a long time. It's just kind of dealt with the problem of always being in Kickstarter's shadow and that early funk of the "We'll take any money you give us and run!!" from its more notorious funding option. I wouldn't be surprised if Paypal antics also played a role in Indiegogo's bad rap. They used to use Paypal as a selling point because it's more widely accessible globally, but Paypal didn't like crowfunding schemas and I think now Indiegogo uses Stripe just like Kickstarter does.

They also go for different audiences. Like the tabletop games on Kickstarter is something around 50% of the total funding on the platform. It makes smart sense to try to court some of that audience to move over to Indiegogo, especially the... well "indie" projects Kickstarter has been taking a lot of massive dumps on lately.

Lately the big thing that's sort of soured Indiegogo's perception among some folks is that they were, and I think continue to be, the crowdfunding platform of choice for the comicsgate movement after Kickstarter dumped some comicsgate-affiliated project or another.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Lately the big thing that's sort of soured Indiegogo's perception among some folks is that they were, and I think continue to be, the crowdfunding platform of choice for the comicsgate movement after Kickstarter dumped some comicsgate-affiliated project or another.

Is IGG more lax on things not being delivered than KS? If there's one thing ComicsGate things hate to do, it's deliver on what they promised, so I can see why they flocked there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Is IGG more lax on things not being delivered than KS? If there's one thing ComicsGate things hate to do, it's deliver on what they promised, so I can see why they flocked there.

I mean, I don't think any crowdfunding platform really gives a poo poo if creators fail to deliver or not. They all put the same boilerplate in their rules and conditions but realistically they have no reason to care, their end of the bargain is simply to act as a middleman, what happens after that is out of their hands.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, I don't think any crowdfunding platform really gives a poo poo if creators fail to deliver or not. They all put the same boilerplate in their rules and conditions but realistically they have no reason to care, their end of the bargain is simply to act as a middleman, what happens after that is out of their hands.

Going back about 7 years, but there was a bit of a row when KS stopped allowing people to fund literally impossible things -after that laser razor fiasco meanwhile IGG was allowing stuff like diving masks that let you breathe underwater.
Oh an apparently even allowed the laser razor which at least as of 2021 still hadn't shipped.
https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9518163/laser-razor-kickstarter-banned-indiegogo

So they still seem more skeezy than KS at a casual glance. I hope a bit of competition and people viewing IGG as a legit alternative to KS instead of just a haven for scammers and goblins that were exiled from KS makes both companies better.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In related news, TopatoCo just opened their own crowdfunding platform aimed at artists.

https://go.topatoco.com/blogs/news/topatogo-for-launch

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IGG's first impression was "that site where you go to get ripped off." Enough so that I'm still surprised whenever I hear anything legitimate happens there.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

In related news, TopatoCo just opened their own crowdfunding platform aimed at artists.

https://go.topatoco.com/blogs/news/topatogo-for-launch

Are those the ones that ripped Hussie off?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Big Hubris posted:

Are those the ones that ripped Hussie off?

Nah, that was someone else.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Did anyone ever actually cheat Hussie? I thought it was just a case of them mismanaging projects into bankruptcy then fans blaming whatever business partner was attached.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't remember which Comicsgate Kickstarter was kicked off the platform, but a lot of that also seems to be done at the discretion of the heads of the Comic division for Kickstarter itself. Lord knows we've seen a million sad attempts at alt-right tabletop games on Kickstarter, even if they almost all die on the vine.

Also, in the category of news that is really more of a disappointing confirmation of what most everyone expected:

https://twitter.com/joindicebreaker/status/1486700772154822662

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well that's one way to evoke the grim hopelessness of Dark Souls.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
this could at the very least be a good route to implement some good fixes or variants to the system but they're going to go full :effort: and pour all the resources into art and marketing and not design.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
At the.... very least they can't possibly run into thoughtless racism like lazily turning the Bard into the Black Ranger and the Monk into the Yellow Ranger like the bland reskinning the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers RPG has?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 27, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nuns with Guns posted:

At the.... very least they can't possibly run into thoughtless racism like lazily turning the Bard into the Black Ranger and the Monk into the Yellow Ranger like the bland reskinning the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers RPG has?

:catstare:
They what?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

They what?

I'm afraid so. My interest in Renegade's MMPR game has... woof. Tanked isn't even the right word.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kurieg posted:

They what?

There's an ongoing F&F that gets into it, but yup.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As someone who hasn't seen Power Rangers in 20+ years, what am I missing? I thought they were all "monks."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

moths posted:

As someone who hasn't seen Power Rangers in 20+ years, what am I missing? I thought they were all "monks."

but you gotta have different classes if you're a 5e game, and you gotta make the yellow ranger the class that's got a long history of orientalism because you're either not thinking or don't care

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuns with Guns posted:

Look, by being racist and lazy, they're just being true to Saban's first Power Ranger series. Remember, this was the show where the black guy was the black ranger and asian girl was the yellow ranger, I think she was even into martial arts -but so were the red and green rangers. The black dude was sassy and could dance -in the urban way with a boombox and everything!

It's kinda funny how everything Saban added to the sentai shows they licensed was garbage but they've been able to maneuver themselves to get a cut and credit for everything sentai related that gets a US release. Hell, they even bullied the devs of chroma squad into paying them for an official license/seal of approval despite the fact it's not a power rangers property at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

moths posted:

The Power Rangers are the American adaptions of a bunch of super sentai series. So as a premise, yes, it's usually about a bunch of teens and young adults punching kicking, shooting, or hitting things with various weapons, then normally capped off with a finisher move done against a monster using a large toyetic mecha.

A Power Rangers tabletop RPG just recently came out and it's the most unadventerous port of 5th edition D&D rules you'd think you had fallen back in time to 2005 and were neck deep in the d20 shovelware bubble. The Power Ranger colors are the D&D classes: Black is Bard, Blue is Cleric, Green is Rogue, Pink is Ranger, Red is Fighter, Yellow is Monk, White is the Fighter Battlemaster subclass.

A bunch of the abilities are just normal D&D magic that does not match up well with what Power Rangers do. The game is also using a lot of art and visuals from the original series, the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, which has had a decades long awkward "ha-ha they really did that?" meme around the casting of the original Black Ranger and Yellow Ranger.

Can you guess which of these actors played the Black Ranger and which one played the Yellow Ranger?

Coolness Averted posted:

Look, by being racist and lazy, they're just being true to Saban's first Power Ranger series. Remember, this was the show where the black guy was the black ranger and asian girl was the yellow ranger, I think she was even into martial arts -but so were the red and green rangers. The black dude was sassy and could dance -in the urban way with a boombox and everything!

It's kinda funny how everything Saban added to the sentai shows they licensed was garbage but they've been able to maneuver themselves to get a cut and credit for everything sentai related that gets a US release. Hell, they even bullied the devs of chroma squad into paying them for an official license/seal of approval despite the fact it's not a power rangers property at all.

It's funny but it's also on the same level of "You didn't even try to think this through." on top of it being the most unimpressive reskin possible. It also kind of picks at why they allocated the classes like this. Like the Red Ranger is usually the leader, shouldn't that one be the reskin of the a class with leader-y abilities and the party face? The "other" ranger who might be Green or White or whatever is usually a badass loner who can kick butt on their own or even match any given team member in a fight. Maybe that one should be the monk? In the original series the Red and Green/White guys were the big martial artist ones anyway, yeah. Why are any of them a monk class to begin with when they all do kung fu at baddies?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 27, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haim Saban is a great businessman and a terrible person, yes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Maybe I should have been reading the F&F, but I don't care about Power Rangers, but I do care about Transformers. Did I miss something? I thought they dropped 5E.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/roleplaying-game/news/power-rangers-rpg-essence20-system

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

A Power Rangers tabletop RPG just recently came out and it's the most unadventerous port of 5th edition D&D rules you'd think you had fallen back in time to 2005 and were neck deep in the d20 shovelware bubble. The Power Ranger colors are the D&D classes: Black is Bard, Blue is Cleric, Green is Rogue, Pink is Ranger, Red is Fighter, Yellow is Monk, White is the Fighter Battlemaster subclass.

Also the ability to combine your weapons and zords is a fifth level Red Ranger ability, meaning you can't do it before 5th level, or at all if you don't have a red ranger.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Can you guess which of these actors played the Black Ranger and which one played the Yellow Ranger?

I can but it's really obvious because they're literally wearing colour coded shirts.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is probably the wrong topic, but how did East Asian stuff get associated with the color yellow in the first place?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is probably the wrong topic, but how did East Asian stuff get associated with the color yellow in the first place?

To some people, the complexions of East Asian people can be construed as 'yellow'.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hunter Noventa posted:

To some people, the complexions of East Asian people can be construed as 'yellow'.

Am I secretly color blind? Are they color blind? The only thing remotely yellow in

is her shirt

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't remember which Comicsgate Kickstarter was kicked off the platform, but a lot of that also seems to be done at the discretion of the heads of the Comic division for Kickstarter itself. Lord knows we've seen a million sad attempts at alt-right tabletop games on Kickstarter, even if they almost all die on the vine.

Also, in the category of news that is really more of a disappointing confirmation of what most everyone expected:

https://twitter.com/joindicebreaker/status/1486700772154822662

This is actually a good fit except for the part where, in Dark Souls, simply coming at somebody with a sword involves making tactical decisions between different fighting moves and careful offense vs. defense resource management.

Like, hit points, spell slots, hit-dice-as-Estus are all pretty easy translations, but you need to also make everyone a battlemaster fighter except you regenerate one or two of your dice every round and your maneuvers don't suck.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_terminology_for_race

quote:

Categorization of racial groups by reference to skin color is common in classical antiquity.[7] For example, it is found in e.g. Physiognomica, a Greek treatise dated to c. 300 BC.

The transmission of the "color terminology" for race from antiquity to early anthropology in 17th century Europe took place via rabbinical literature. Specifically, Pirke De-Rabbi Eliezer (a medieval rabbinical text dated roughly to between the 7th to 12th centuries) contains the division of mankind into three groups based on the three sons of Noah, viz. Shem, Ham and Japheth:

quote:

"He [Noah] especially blessed Shem and his sons, (making them) Black but comely [שחורים ונאים], and he gave them the habitable earth. He blessed Ham and his sons, (making them) black like the raven [שחורים כעורב], and he gave them as an inheritance the coast of the sea. He blessed Japheth and his sons, (making) them entirely white [כלם לבני], and he gave them for an inheritance the desert and its fields" (trans. Gerald Friedlander 1916, p. 172f.)

This division in Rabbi Eliezer and other rabbinical texts is received by Georgius Hornius (1666). In Hornius' scheme, the Japhetites (identified as Scythians, an Iranic ethnic group and Celts) are "white" (albos), the Aethiopians and Chamae are "black" (nigros), and the Indians and Semites are "brownish-yellow" (flavos), while the Jews, following Mishnah Sanhedrin, are exempt from the classification being neither black nor white but "light brown" (buxus, the color of boxwood).

quote:

In the 1730s, Carl Linnaeus in his introduction of systematic taxonomy recognized four main human subspecies, termed Americanus (Americans), Europaeus (Europeans), Asiaticus (Asians) and Afer (Africans). The physical appearance of each type is briefly described, including colour adjectives referring to skin and hair colour: rufus "red" and pilis nigris "black hair" for Americans, albus "white" and pilis flavescentibus "yellowish hair" for Europeans, luridus "yellowish, sallow", pilis nigricantibus "swarthy hair" for Asians, and niger "black", pilis atris "coal-black hair" for Africans.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Am I secretly color blind? Are they color blind? The only thing remotely yellow in

is her shirt

I mean it doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense. But that's what racists think/do.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Europeans invented race and got really excited about its potential for justifying imperialism, slavery, and the like starting around the 16th century. Associating race with a color classification sorta related to skin color is an 18th century attempt to make the invention of race "scientific." It stuck.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Racist bullshit aside, "yellow" was considered the main color in classical Chinese culture. (Sorta like how red is associated with Russia.) Maybe it's a holdover from that.

Link

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

I can but it's really obvious because they're literally wearing colour coded shirts.

It’s extremely obvious on a number of levels from the context of the convo up to that point and I wasn’t expecting anyone to be surprised or befuddled enough to not figure it out.

CitizenKeen posted:

Maybe I should have been reading the F&F, but I don't care about Power Rangers, but I do care about Transformers. Did I miss something? I thought they dropped 5E.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/roleplaying-game/news/power-rangers-rpg-essence20-system

The rules for this are about as far removed from this as d20 Modern is from 3e. Technically not 1 to 1, but you can see what pages they were cheating off of.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nuns with Guns posted:

The rules for this are about as far removed from this as d20 Modern is from 3e. Technically not 1 to 1, but you can see what pages they were cheating off of.

Ah, thanks. What color is "not surprised"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Ah, thanks. What color is "not surprised"?

The Girl is Pink.