Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
70 something usd for aegis avenger titan. Considering charging it back and instead pledging for aurora idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Erulisse posted:

70 something usd for aegis avenger titan. Considering charging it back and instead pledging for aurora idk

Better still: charge it back and

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

no u

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

See? it's not me starting

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kavros posted:

I think we're almost finished up with anything we can learn about the game by playing it, since so little actually changes from month to month. I want to be done with a final, comprehensive analysis of Star Citizen as a project, but there's parts I need more than just my personal speculation on.

In particular, I would really love it if anyone knows where to find comprehensive thoughts or writeups detailing, from a dev or programming perspective, what you can learn about the state of the game's code and its development from observing that the game seems terminally janky as gently caress and any update attempting to add or improve things breaks it down in several different new and exciting ways. What's the extent of the paralysis? How deep is the jank? How do companies get to this level of busted, torturous, impenetrable legacy code? Are there any comparable examples besides SC? How did other companies handle it? Were they ever really recoverable at this point or was it only a product of terminal developmental failures that doomed the project?

If I have the answers to these questions, I think I'll have everything I need.

Here is the official design document that was supplied by top secret cig developers:

Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk!

Bawk boo bawk book bawk!

Bawk bawk- bawk bawk bawk bawk!

Bawk bawk money money money bawk!

Money bawk bawk!

I hope this conclusive evidence will fill your burning curiosity. :)

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Swingin by for my roughly bi-annual check in of Star Citizen to see if it has changed or gotten closer to release in the last 2 4 6 years... Hang on..

Erulisse posted:

They live and breathe the hardships of working a second job in elite, where there is like, zero game, for literal years to buy the next space camry.

Erulisse posted:

I spent 1k hours in e:d.

Lol; lmao

Erulisse posted:

I AM SURPRISED its bugfree

Noticeable things:

I had a weird death while running on stairs.
Then in same spot an hour later.
It turns out I was running in heavy armour (entire station run through, its a long way) and didn't notice character's pulse being like 220+ something and dying from that both times.

That is uh not how running works

Do you suffocate if you forget to hit the "Breathe" button lol

Erulisse posted:

I had my missile go up my rear end.

:five:

Thank you for your sacrifice, once in a while I'll wonder how this game is actually going

I thought the heart rate thing was a joke until I looked it up. I cant really explain how perfect it is that this game is made for people who think running for a few minutes will explode your heart. It's like a weird video game version that old timey belief where people thought if you went more than 40 miles an hour your body would explode

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Erulisse posted:

yall been stroking each other talking to each other for years here
and where did that bring you?

nowhere.
but i didnt really have the need to go somewhere.
this is the internet, it does not really matter what is said here.
its just for funsies dude.

where do you want to go with this?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I fuggin hate this game I spent 1,000 hours on on, it has no gameplay

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Erulisse posted:

press spacebar to stand up?

i was pressing every button i could on my keyboard, changing camera angles etc all in an attempt to get unstuck

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Every Steam review after a minor balance patch.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Dying on stairs to own Braben.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rob Rockley posted:

this game is made for people who think running for a few minutes will explode your heart. It's like a weird video game version that old timey belief where people thought if you went more than 40 miles an hour your body would explode

do you know the main target audience of star citizen? it might well be true for them, considering most are 40+ spacedads

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Erulisse posted:

I guess you would enjoy reading The Brown Sea™, which is frontier's forums about Elite:Dangerous.
They live and breathe the hardships of working a second job in elite, where there is like, zero game, for literal years to buy the next space camry.

I think the main problem is that space games tend to just be horribly boring.

They don't attract the DCS crowd because it's not reality. There's no point trying to learn some fake games systems.

Even though this game has an fps module, it's also sci fi which has the same general problem as the simulation side. People like WW2 or modern combat. Only a few sci fi games really took off and that's more because they were good arcade shooters rather than trying to be a hardcore simulator/cod game.

Space sims, overall, are a huge niche market that nobody in a greater market is really eager to see more of.

There's a reason why they make Madden and cod games yearly... they have enormous markets with tons of players who love to play them. Those games can even make people who generally don't like games play their games. Everybody can bash that market as "filthy console scum" all you want but I'm sure madden games probably make more in a handful only months than all of star cit has since it's inception. Madden games alone rake in yearly income at nearly 2 Billion dollars.

All this to say... space games are boring. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Erulisse posted:

I spent 1k hours in e:d. I still wouldn't call it a game.
Also, you momma's fat.

Erulisse posted:

SRV? Ultrafucked, one small stone at 20 km/h that makes your spacejeep go boom
PVE? Ultrafucked and buggy, 8 years in
PVP? Cheaters galore
Multicrew? You mean you and your second client just for that one energy pip? Lmao.
Networking? More like notworking

Yeah it has 1:1 milky way galaxy full of empty loving space but Universe Sandbox and Space Engine exist

But hey it says "Released" so its a "game", yeah.

Uh oh...

Don't get angry about any dumb space games hon.

Pull up, friend! :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Erulisse posted:

Networking? More like notworking

just giving this insane burn some time to work while i get the aloe vera

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this starfleet commando was funny. i'm sure he will be back.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

10 years of rubbing and all I've achieved is a blister.

Have I been doing it wrong? I've been rubbing the back of my left knee.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I wouldn't worry about it.
star cirtizen is poo poo, elite is poo poo, everyone here is insane and everyone on both sides of the fence can kiss my rear end.
The only thing that matters is the never ending comedy that this heap of shite provides, everything else is just piss in the rain.

:same:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's one of those common situations of "I had a ton of fun, but since I've seen everything, I'm bitter my experience has basically come to an end and I will tell others of my bitterness to no end, while ignoring the good times because they are behind me now."

Humans are funny creatures like that and can ignore many hours/years of good times for one thing to come along and wreck it all.

This is sometimes how relationships work as well. :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

gently caress yeah! PEE will be ready SoonTM

I thought the toilets were currently better at just expelling players from their ships rather than waste from the players?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Naughty List - An Avoidance / Prevention Technique posted:

In the search for solutions amid the poisonous threads, vitriolic posts, and other childlike online behavior, comes now a technique to help. This aid is meant to lower if not prevent unwanted PvP, of whatever kind a Citizen desires to avoid. I call it the Naughty List. Here's how it works:
  • I write down, pencil-and-paper the callsigns of any aggressor that I feel engaged me with unwanted PvP, usually those ruining my free time playing Star Citizen.
  • Collate these names into a list on paper or in a spreadsheet. I note names, orgs, and the aggressor's crimes against me or what I've witnessed.
  • When waking up in a Hab or in a ship bed, I cross-reference my Naughty List with the Global Members list, names these perpetrators of unwanted PvP cannot hide.
  • Should I see a name or names, (usually a band of pirates/marauders) that I don't want ruining my day, I hop servers.
Now, as an in-'verse service via a game loop through the addition and indication of the MISC Reliant Mako, a 'newsvan', harping on those perpetrators of unwanted PvP is shouted out to Global chat like so:

"Net-7 News has detected the presence of pirates or marauders in Stanton System! Merchants, miners and anyone with anything to lose are urged to seek safe harbor and hop servers. Live via satellite, this is the Pakkrat."

This is an in-character, in-'verse method of warning fellow Citizens that possible unwanted PvP is present on any given server. As a 'newsvan', this is an acknowledged gameplay loop. The perpetrators of unwanted PvP cannot hide their callsigns from the Global Members list. Note also that I do not accuse any specific names when calling out news warnings. Only warnings with journalistic integrity are transmitted in Global chat. This is never meant to cry wolf.

You too can generate your own Naughty List, and you can do so without anyone's knowledge. You need never tell the perpetrators of unwanted PvP that they are being recorded to the Naughty List. There is no sense in feeding egos or yielding any exchange of harvested salt, something pirates/marauders greatly desire and enjoy. Simply reach over and jot down the callsign of the offending PvPer. Add that name to your Naughty List, a new, indelible Crime Stat the offender can never live down until you forgive them and erase their name from your List.

"But Pakk, can't they simply change their callsign through the RSI website?"

Yes, yes, they can. But almost all pirates/marauders are loathe to do so unless they truly want to turn over a new leaf or reset their street credit as perpetrators of unwanted PvP. Pirates and marauders are prideful basement dwellers enjoying their work. Most will laugh at your salt. Gently, subtly, and carefully write down callsigns of any foes you can detect. Screenshot the Global Members list if you can't write down all the names at that moment.

After some time, you can cross-reference the Global Members list, recognizing perpetrators of unwanted PvP and make informed decisions as to whether you wish to wake up on that server amid the Risk of unwanted PvP. This is not foolproof, but it can cut down instances of pirate/marauder attack. This technique is preventative in its most subtle form. The perpetrators of unwanted PvP should have no idea you are watching their callsigns in the Global Members list and stealthily hopping servers. None the wiser, you are safer and they are minus one potential victim.

Note also this is not blacklisting so long as you keep from publicly naming callsigns. The Naughty List is your personal Great Book of Grudges, listing those pilots whom you now have a choice of server cohabitation.

For Net-7 News, this is the Pakkrat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

marumaru posted:

do you know the main target audience of star citizen? it might well be true for them, considering most are 40+ spacedads

Yes I do!

The main target audience is everybody. :)

It is an an action game, a super simulator, a life sim, a bounty hunting game, it has fps and tps and you can manage a guild. :)

It is an esports, walking simulator, proc gen planet sim, open world, arena based, PvP, pve, optional PvP, no PvP, single player, multi player, mmo, not-mmo game. :)

It is a strategy, rts, tactical, truck driving, drink mixing, mechanic simulator, inventory collectathon, npc interactive, rpg, adventure, racing, digging, mining, hunting, drilling, building game. :)

It is a story driven, player driven, full economy simulation, smart npc populated, the sims-like, exploration, colonizing, cargo stacking Tetris, medical simulator. :)

It is a dress up, micro transaction, macro transaction, free to play, pay to win, buy once, store owning and operating, box stacking, zero-g action/simulator game. :)

It is more deadly than cod, more complex than DCS, more detailed than a Pixar movie, boundary pushing, infinite universe bigger than any game ever that is both casual arcade action and hardcore simulator simultaneously. :)

In fact I think the only things that this game isn't trying to be is:
* Visual novel
* Straight up hentai game (this would require actual artists who can make appealing characters)
* Turn based strategy game

And I think that's basically it. Everything else they are tying to claim at some point and get the players from those areas in.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Titanic posted:

How about those silly people using a HDD or WiFi? Don't they qualify for TBS?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

The Naughty List - An Avoidance / Prevention Technique posted:
In the search for solutions amid the poisonous threads, vitriolic posts, and other childlike online behavior, comes now a technique to help. This aid is meant to lower if not prevent unwanted PvP, of whatever kind a Citizen desires to avoid. I call it the Naughty List. Here's how it works:
I write down, pencil-and-paper the callsigns of any aggressor that I feel engaged me with unwanted PvP, usually those ruining my free time playing Star Citizen.
Collate these names into a list on paper or in a spreadsheet. I note names, orgs, and the aggressor's crimes against me or what I've witnessed.
When waking up in a Hab or in a ship bed, I cross-reference my Naughty List with the Global Members list, names these perpetrators of unwanted PvP cannot hide.
Should I see a name or names, (usually a band of pirates/marauders) that I don't want ruining my day, I hop servers.
Now, as an in-'verse service via a game loop through the addition and indication of the MISC Reliant Mako, a 'newsvan', harping on those perpetrators of unwanted PvP is shouted out to Global chat like so:

"Net-7 News has detected the presence of pirates or marauders in Stanton System! Merchants, miners and anyone with anything to lose are urged to seek safe harbor and hop servers. Live via satellite, this is the Pakkrat."

This is an in-character, in-'verse method of warning fellow Citizens that possible unwanted PvP is present on any given server. As a 'newsvan', this is an acknowledged gameplay loop. The perpetrators of unwanted PvP cannot hide their callsigns from the Global Members list. Note also that I do not accuse any specific names when calling out news warnings. Only warnings with journalistic integrity are transmitted in Global chat. This is never meant to cry wolf.

You too can generate your own Naughty List, and you can do so without anyone's knowledge. You need never tell the perpetrators of unwanted PvP that they are being recorded to the Naughty List. There is no sense in feeding egos or yielding any exchange of harvested salt, something pirates/marauders greatly desire and enjoy. Simply reach over and jot down the callsign of the offending PvPer. Add that name to your Naughty List, a new, indelible Crime Stat the offender can never live down until you forgive them and erase their name from your List.

"But Pakk, can't they simply change their callsign through the RSI website?"

Yes, yes, they can. But almost all pirates/marauders are loathe to do so unless they truly want to turn over a new leaf or reset their street credit as perpetrators of unwanted PvP. Pirates and marauders are prideful basement dwellers enjoying their work. Most will laugh at your salt. Gently, subtly, and carefully write down callsigns of any foes you can detect. Screenshot the Global Members list if you can't write down all the names at that moment.

After some time, you can cross-reference the Global Members list, recognizing perpetrators of unwanted PvP and make informed decisions as to whether you wish to wake up on that server amid the Risk of unwanted PvP. This is not foolproof, but it can cut down instances of pirate/marauder attack. This technique is preventative in its most subtle form. The perpetrators of unwanted PvP should have no idea you are watching their callsigns in the Global Members list and stealthily hopping servers. None the wiser, you are safer and they are minus one potential victim.

Note also this is not blacklisting so long as you keep from publicly naming callsigns. The Naughty List is your personal Great Book of Grudges, listing those pilots whom you now have a choice of server cohabitation.

For Net-7 News, this is the Pakkrat.

Good idea, could never be used against you:

Piarate1: Hmm, who will a screw with today. Yes, Pakkrat is irritating so I will add him to the global chat bot: Pakkrat is a naughty boy and attacked poor little me, please KOS.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

monkeytek posted:

Piarate1: Hmm, who will a screw with today. Yes, Pakkrat is irritating so I will add him to the global chat bot: Pakkrat is a naughty boy and attacked poor little me, please KOS.

Forget the plot holes. More concerning is that this will totally break when server meshing comes in next month!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Yes I do!

It is an an action game, a super simulator, a life sim, a bounty hunting game, it has fps and tps and you can manage a guild. :)

It is an esports, walking simulator, proc gen planet sim, open world, arena based, PvP, pve, optional PvP, no PvP, single player, multi player, mmo, not-mmo game. :)

It is a strategy, rts, tactical, truck driving, drink mixing, mechanic simulator, inventory collectathon, npc interactive, rpg, adventure, racing, digging, mining, hunting, drilling, building game. :)

It is a story driven, player driven, full economy simulation, smart npc populated, the sims-like, exploration, colonizing, cargo stacking Tetris, medical simulator. :)

It is a dress up, micro transaction, macro transaction, free to play, pay to win, buy once, store owning and operating, box stacking, zero-g action/simulator game. :)

It is more deadly than cod, more complex than DCS, more detailed than a Pixar movie, boundary pushing, infinite universe bigger than any game ever that is both casual arcade action and hardcore simulator simultaneously. :)

* Visual novel
* Straight up hentai game (this would require actual artists who can make appealing characters)

And I think that's basically it. Everything else they are tying to claim at some point and get the players from those areas in.

All this while wearing a hello kitty helmet!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This op-ed got the Cool Chris award so I think it is cool enough

quote:

It was a crisp Autumn Morning in August of 2019. I was sitting at my computer one day playing Eilte Dangerous or maybe Final Fantasy XIV just enjoying life and minding my own business. When out of nowhere a wild Star Citizen appeared. I had, of course, heard all the hype and anti-hype about the game. I was bored with most of the games I was playing at the time, and I figured eh, why not give it a try? I bought my Avenger Titan starter pack, and started the download. Nothing could've prepared me for what happened next though. I jumped into the verse and spent the next 2-3 hours figuring out how to setup my joystick, pedals, and throttle, and then I was off. I spent no small amount of time just flying my little Titan around Port Olisar and just poking my ship with a stick to see how many different ways I could interact with it. After about a month or so of solo play I joined Nova Intergalactic. The game went from a definite upgrade over Elite Dangerous to something alive and growing. I have never known a more welcoming, fun, or dedicated group of players in any game I've played. I'm still with them to this day and as my hangar grew, so did my rig. From Avenger Titan Starter to Scoundrel Pack to Exploration Megapack to Origin Complete pack to Dominus Pack, it has certainly been a wild ride. This is by far the most immersive, most ambitious, and flat out most fun I've had in my 35+ years of gaming. Thank you CIG and Nova Intergalactic for the past 4 years, looking forward to many, many more!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BTW, the dominus pack is $6,400 and Origin-complete is $2,400,

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

trucutru posted:

Dominus Pack = $6,500

quote:

Looks like you tried to sell your account last year for over $3000, did that help pay for the simpit?

quote:

Unfortunately no, and I did sell that account due to some very unexpected and costly bills popping up. Fortunately that situation was resolved quickly and I came out the other side in a much better position financially and was able to buy back into the game about a month after having to sell my first account.

:wtchris:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol: loving hell it's like the pitch video irl with all the screens popping out ha ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0&t=110s

I can't even, h aha

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

trucutru posted:

:stonk:

screens alone, this is a $2k+ setup just to look at jpgs

if i had to guess, based on the RBG in the case it's *also* a zotac 3060-3080 gpu

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Hawt newsvan gameplay loop: finally! Now you should go buy the ship to be sure you can project your weird naughty list announcement to players. :)

Cig, go restrict this stuff! This is money in the bank that you're missing out on!!!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

Pretty upset myself that people are using global chat without first having bought the news van ship.

That should probably be a requirement to post on that channel.

Hop to it, cig. Free money out there! :homebrew:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Erulisse posted:

The pee is stored in the servers.

In the end CIG will revolutionize multiplayer through the creation of a pee-to-pee network.

peter gabriel posted:

It used to be but they had a community vote and billions of people voted to expand the scope you see

:golfclap:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Is this the photo from when Chris was on vacation on a yacht somewhere? :)

I love that photo because it came after he was money collecting, saying he's never spend backer money on things like yachts and vacations. That picture of him on the back of a yacht in like the Madrids or something is definitely peak star citizen financial abuse. :)

After that they basically stopped posting much to social media and buttoned up because it looked bad for PR, probably because it genuinely is bad, but that's how it goes!

The next real vacation sighting was from some backer happening to bump into CR in line to board an airplane bound for Hawaii with his family. Naturally that one was a bit more creepy, but cr works hard and definitely needs at least 11 months of vacations a year to be sure he is at peak performance. :)

Vitamins can only go so far!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I enjoy backer posts who are genuinely sharing their experiences as it being the best game they ever played and are by no means encouraged to say that because they have like spent around literally $10,000 on the game so far, not including hardware at all. :)

And then they post multiple pictures of their computer, and despite having many screens and many pictures, not a single one of them is actually "playing star citizen" itself. :)

I believe you, space friend. ;)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Yes I do!

* Visual novel

I call bullshit, boat. They never said it would be an RTS.

The rest is still true though.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

trucutru posted:

I love how the Cool Chris award is cropped from :trustme: enjoying a vacation on his yacht, all paid for by the backers.

We voted.

e: oh, Titanic beat me to it. I will now seppuku and post a cute cat instead.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2022

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello (and holy fuckin poo poo)
  • expect a tonal shift regarding release dates and additional features
  • this means things will be "coming online" when they are ready and not at the "tier 0" we have seen them
  • "We want players to experience the mechanics as we envision them, not as we implement them." (?????)
  • SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues
  • These issues include mostly gameplay but also have serious problems with animation, lighting and texture fidelity
  • Mocap data having to be "recleaned" at a very high cost in manhours but with little real progress
  • Other problems include VA and story changes
  • New VAs and actors have been brought in to replace key roles (been hearing this for fuckin ever)
  • "It's a tough turd [SQ42] to expel. Very tough. [laughs] It is not coming out. It is staying in Chris's rear end in a top hat for the foreseeable future."
  • A SQ42 "demo" (aka highly scripted) is making the rounds internally due to investor pressure
  • Backers will see more and more of this demo this year and next
  • This demo retreads a lot of previously shown things, including the "not-a-joke" sandworm
  • Base building completely on hold for now, expected date is sometime in 2025 (yikes)
  • An initial "plot" claim will be hopefully available before then, allowing the player to set their own Hab spawn point from that location
  • These will NOT be freely set, but part of the pre-built game world (no building your own bases it sounds like)
  • Overall ship balance is not even being considered until sometime in the neat future
  • Over 50 (!!!) ships going up for sale over the next few years (this will include variants, so probably not so bad)
  • Server meshing is still dead, with no additional updates from the team besides "It's coming along and making progress."
  • This progress means 50 to 60 players on a server with better tick rates, but no additional "true" MMO features
  • Trading between players is a key focus going forward, as some rare items can be bought for real money and then traded for UEC
  • These will include upgrade components and AI crewmates
  • "It's not a 'gatcha' thing, it's not. It's more like a unique way of saying, 'I am a Captain of these exceptional crew.' You know them. You've heard of them. Verse-famous."
  • Crafting is another key focus
  • Parts will be rare but can be salvaged
  • Salvage is not a key focus (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

• SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues
Is the issue that no-one at CI¬G has any idea how to make or release a game? 🤔

TheAgent posted:

[rest of the list]
Why yes. Yes it is.