Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Barudak posted:

Saints need to hire a person who can lead them to a 4-13 season while spending negative money

I’ll volunteer as well.

Aren’t they leaning toward promoting Dennis Allen or Pete Carmichael to be HC? Whether it’s them or someone from outside, they have to know it’ll be easily 2-4 years before their cap situation is unfucked and that first coach is going to need time unless they have some absurd draft luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Who is the most unqualified person to ever be an NFL HC?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Barudak posted:

Saints need to hire a person who can lead them to a 4-13 season while spending negative money

I hear David Culley is available

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fartknocker posted:

I’ll volunteer as well.

Aren’t they leaning toward promoting Dennis Allen or Pete Carmichael to be HC? Whether it’s them or someone from outside, they have to know it’ll be easily 2-4 years before their cap situation is unfucked and that first coach is going to need time unless they have some absurd draft luck.

I don’t think there’s any chance it’s Carmichael. Allen is the frontrunner but they could go a different direction. I don’t think anyone really knows what the priorities are at this point since it’s been almost two decades since the Saints had to hire a coach.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It might well be Urban Meyer, at least from a personality perspective

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Professor Funk posted:

It might well be Urban Meyer, at least from a personality perspective

Freddie Kitchens has to be up there. Even when the beat reporters were trying to get the usual puff piece of interviewing people from his past about how he got there, people were declining to comment or would just talk about how legit surprised they were.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

I only know Patullo as the guy Chan Gailey hired as QB coach back with the Jets.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1486734854637117443

Lol. Eberflus knows the Eagles ran the ball, right?

Can't believe Hackett got a job over Caldwell or Peterson or Bienemy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
man things are really starting to move aren't they

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Depends on how you define “unqualified”. Lack of previous high level NFL experience as say a coordinator or position coach? Someone who hadn’t coached in decades or in the NFL at all?

Like, here’s a fun example of a bad hire: Bud Wilkinson. The Cardinals hired him in 1978, after they let Don Coryell go for not playing crappy first round QB Steve Pisarkiewicz and Coryell disagreeing with other roster moves. Why was this a bad hire? Wilkinson had last coached in 1963… at the University of Oklahoma. He went 6-10 his first year, and was 3-10 in the next when he got fired. By every account I’ve seen of those teams, it was a disaster.

Of course, that was as much ownership being idiotic as anything. Guys like Jim Tomsula and Jim Zorn were supposed to be promoted to first time defensive and offensive coordinators respectively, but when their teams couldn’t find anyone to take over they both got promoted to HC. Both did probably as well as they could for organizations that were considered toxic or problematic in all sorts of ways, but neither was the first choice or qualified.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Woozie66 posted:

Freddie Kitchens has to be up there. Even when the beat reporters were trying to get the usual puff piece of interviewing people from his past about how he got there, people were declining to comment or would just talk about how legit surprised they were.

The Culley hire was the nice version of that with everyone saying hey he's been around for a while and he's a great guy. Good for him!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Not a HC but Oaklands Bed and Breakfast OC has to be up there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1486774050613600264

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Do they have a 16 game season?????????????

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hizawk posted:

Not a HC but Oaklands Bed and Breakfast OC has to be up there.

That guy was an OC previously.... and then managed a bed and breakfast for like 15 years before being hired back.

Senile Al Davis sure was a ride.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Do they have a 16 game season?????????????

Looks like 10 games

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Who was it that Washington hired from a bingo hall to call plays over Jim Zorn's head

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Well anyway good for Byron Leftwich, he’s on a career rocketship even tho I still think of him as a QB

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who was it that Washington hired from a bingo hall to call plays over Jim Zorn's head

Sherman Lewis

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sherman Lewis. Same deal, he was Favre's mentor and their OC for forever, went to the Lions, retired and was calling bingo at a Senior center when Washington dug him out like 6 years later to be a consultant.

Then Washington bullshit happened and they removed play calling duties from Zorn and gave them to him, and... yeah.

e: lol

quote:

“We didn’t have a bye week and the game was Sunday. Then all of a sudden Coach Zorn was kind of upset and Coach Sherman Smith was upset, and Sherman Lewis was like, ‘Hey, I didn’t ask to be put in this position.’ He was like, ‘I honestly thought I was coming here to be a consultant, to help.’ And he was like, ‘I’ve been asked to take over calling the plays and take over calling the offense.’”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Looks like 10 games

So he’s going 4-6. Appropriate considering he worked for Buddy Ryan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

It's really impressive how quickly he turned a stable organization into anarchy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Is he really worse than David "I'm going to take Cade McNown with me to Miami" Wannstedt?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

sweet geek swag posted:

Is he really worse than David "I'm going to take Cade McNown with me to Miami" Wannstedt?

Yes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

It's really impressive how quickly he turned a stable organization into anarchy.

The most damning part of Emery's tenure is that he wanted Trestman from day one. Just complete tunnel vision.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Should have been a warning, him so effortlessly posing like Budd.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sweet geek swag posted:

My cousin was a ballboy during the late Shula/Jimmy Johnson/Wannstedt years and later did stuff on the sidelines like make sure the wires to the coaches headsets didn’t get unplugged and whatnot. He was around the team for a good 8-10 years.

Cade McNown, by far, was the worst passer he ever saw. The punters and kickers and random linemen threw better. That is what I’ll always think of when Cade McNown comes up.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Cracks me up that he hosts a leadership podcast now.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Timby posted:

The most damning part of Emery's tenure is that he wanted Trestman from day one. Just complete tunnel vision.

I think that's second to firing Lovie in the first place, but honestly it's all the sane thing really.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think one of the worst mistakes of John Harbaugh's career was hiring Trestman in 2015 after Kubiak departed for Denver.

Flacco had his best season under the Kubiak/Shanahan scheme and Harbs just didn't appreciate that the league was moving toward that. Or maybe he didn't appreciate the fact that you can't just have an outsider come in and implement parts of it or something.

Now Trestman is out of the league and disciples of Kubiak and Shanahan's coaching tree have basically taken over the NFL.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Jaguars might just bumblefuck their way into the best possible situation lmao

Also, first reported here two entire weeks ago:

JT Jag posted:

I agree but apparently this is gonna be a lengthy search with multiple rounds of interviews, if Khan hires a guy who doesn't wanna work with Baalke I imagine that coach might hand pick their GM. In Byron's case that'd probably be Adrian Wilson, according to rumors.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Aaron Rodgers is not welcome on the 49ers. Would rather lose 12 games with Lance than win 12 with Rodgers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars might just bumblefuck their way into the best possible situation lmao
If Fangio flying to town to get interviewed by Leftwich for the DC job or however that works, I'll be set.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If Fangio flying to town to get interviewed by Leftwich for the DC job or however that works, I'll be set.

Golly wouldn’t that be an amazing turnaround from where the team was just a few months ago.

I hope Byron, Adrian and Fangio all head to the Jags and that they give the ole fan base a bit of long over due success :)

E: I also hope Tom Brady stubs his toe today

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Timby posted:

I remember when the Bears fired Jerry Angelo and Bears fans were ecstatic.

Then they hired Emery and Pace b2b

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lou Holtz is right up there.

Holtz thought it would be a good idea to run the veer in the NFL. The veer. With 1976 Joe Namath.

Lou Holtz wrote a fight song for the Jets.

Here's Alex Karras and Howard Cosell making GBS threads all over it on MNF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sYDyCJHj0&t=218s

Jets went 3-11 (3-10 under Holtz). One of those really shouldn't count because it was the Bucs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Lou Holtz is right up there.

Holtz thought it would be a good idea to run the veer in the NFL. The veer. With 1976 Joe Namath.

Lou Holtz wrote a fight song for the Jets.

Here's Alex Karras and Howard Cosell making GBS threads all over it on MNF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sYDyCJHj0&t=218s

Jets went 3-11 (3-10 under Holtz). One of those really shouldn't count because it was the Bucs.

One of the best bits of classic John Facenda narration from NFL Films is the line during the annual team highlight film: “Perhaps the best thing that could be said about the Jets’ 1976 season is that it is over.” :laugh:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

He hasn't been a disaster or anything, but purely based on his resume Kliff Kingsbury was a strange hire. His only head coaching experience was at a minor college program from which he was fired, and he was on his way to being an OC for a different college program when the Cardinals hired him.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1486811963397128203?t=pmo71ozkZWtDfRKPj3PuXw&s=19

Take him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The raiders are really going to give up the home run hire of Harbaugh for Josh loving McDaniels?