Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
gardening gloves are a godsend for biters before you hand train em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It sounds like you got some rats out of a really bad situation. Thanks to you (and the garage guy!) for doing that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my boys scared the poo poo out of me. He was in pain so I was nursing him all evening, thought he was gonna die or something. Turns out he most likely had a tummy ache. The fat bastard ate too much or something.

Fat bastard in question.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 1, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The new kiddos get their own cage, mama gets her own cage because she was being food aggressive with the babies, and Smoke watches from afar in her giant cage. Everybody can smell everybody, mama's cage is right against theirs, and everybody is much calmer and less bitey. They are realizing they're safe here and we'll keep feeding them. No names yet. Want to see their personalities first. There is a small chance mama is pregnant, which... Well, we'll deal with that if that's the case.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Okay, so mama is giving birth right now. :ohdear:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Are the babies doing ok...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They're squeaking. Mama has food and water. They exist comfortably inside a cardboard box obscured by a variety of comfortable stuff.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
sending the babies good wishes

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Animal-Mother posted:

Okay, so mama is giving birth right now. :ohdear:

Good post-username combo

Best wishes to mama and babs

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mamacita has gotten a lot less bitey. Haven't looked inside the box to see how big the litter is, but they're certainly squeaking. Next door, in a separate cage, their two older sisters, probably almost three months old, are eating dried banana chips. Across the room, in the big cage, good old Smoke is recovering from today's surgery. loving gnarly stapled up surgical scar. They always look insane the first couple days. But she was a real trooper last time she went under, so I think she'll be right as rain in a few days.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We're having trouble figuring out how to clean mama's cage without getting bitten to poo poo or letting her loose in the apartment, where it would be a real pain to retrieve her. We've got gardening gloves and long sleeves. Any other tips?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If you can handle the babies just fine, handle them, trick mama into going into their cage by putting them together with open entrances facing, then close it, clean her cage, swap em back, then clean babies' cage second?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Plastic tub you can put over her and pop a weight on top? Like a spider with a cup.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mamacita bit the ever-loving poo poo out of my partner's hand. She's never going to be a suitable pet. We'll keep her for the four or five weeks her newborns need her and then we'll figure out what to do with everybody. Her three month old daughters we will keep. They'll meet Smoke on neutral ground next week, perhaps. Smoke is excited, she really wants to interact with the rats she can smell across the room. Still healing, but leaving the stitches alone and eating all her meds like a trooper. Smoke is probably the strongest rat I've had.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Fifteen babies took a little excursion to a cardboard box while their cage was being cleaned.

https://i.imgur.com/p42LPAF.mp4

Mama took a snack break.

Lauren and Larkin, her older daughters, look on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god look at them little nuggets. :kimchi:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
those babies are sooo cute

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:3:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Luckily, we've been able to find a rat rescue group that says they've got a lot of people asking about adopting young rats these days. Mamacita and her fifteen babies will find good homes.

Right now, she's taking a nap. You can make out the tail of one of the black ones if you look close.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always love that a rat's favourite bed is another rat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Those babies are absolutely precious.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Fifteen babies took a little excursion to a cardboard box while their cage was being cleaned.

https://i.imgur.com/p42LPAF.mp4

Wanna put my hand in this box

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
And then there were none. Goodbye Truffle, my little chonklet.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm sorry. :( Truffle was beautiful.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Three gals enjoy breakfast:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Babies. :3

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
pic of chamomile and peppermint poking their heads out of a hole

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Smoke Jaguar is no more. She crawls in the confined spaces of rat heaven now. Her health deteriorated rapidly in the last 48 hours. More accurately, she became unable to hide the pain anymore within that timeframe. All she wanted was to lay on my partner's neck. The vet crew was understanding, as always.

So that's the end of our little tribe from the local pet store. Katja, Antimony, Ghost, and Smoke. Now they are all in God's hands, peeing right on them.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Lauren and Larkin enjoy breakfast in the sun. They grew up fast, they're huge now. They've got the full run of the living room, though we have to keep a close eye on them, lest they destroy the carpet, the books, power cords, etc.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
We were worried about integrating the two new little ones with our old gal Ratilda... I don't think that is a problem!

Ratilda is on the right - I honestly can't tell which is which of the other two. One is Goonie and one is Ratpunzel.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Glad your intros went well! In my purely anecdotal experience, introductions are usually no big deal - but every once in a while personalities clash and fur can fly, so it's best to err on the side of caution.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Falstaff posted:

Glad your intros went well! In my purely anecdotal experience, introductions are usually no big deal - but every once in a while personalities clash and fur can fly, so it's best to err on the side of caution.

That pic is actually from a week or so ago, all seems good so far! Ratilda is an old sweetie so she mostly just sleeps and looks cute while the other two play around.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Oh, I wasn't scolding and I'm sorry if it came across that way. If your rats get to the point you show in the pic, then the intro's already over and they're good friends. I guess I was more talking to lurkers (if any) than anything else - the one time a rat bit me badly (bad enough to send me to the emergency room) it was during an intro that went sideways because I was cutting corners.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://fatmouse.org/

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Awh, baby. :3:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

That is a cutie-patootie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My chunky boy got a tumor, we are going for an operation today.

His name is Caesar and I got him rehomed to be from a neglectful owner. He was extremely obese and unsocialized, used to literally perforate my fingers because he was so afraid to be touched.
Now he's a sweet and social boy, still a bit fat though.

Send good vibes.