Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's the principle of the thing :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
also yesterday's parses are locked in, so they've already been compared to how everyone else parsed yesterday. my purples have been preserved at least

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

iPodschun posted:

The point about GCDs is about your partner’s opener, not yours. You want to have Devilment line up for most-all of the big damage in their opener.

That makes sense to me. Most of them don't have all the raid buffs up until the third GCD, so it would make sense to pop devilment after technical step to maximize them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just bought all the EW master crafting books.... now just need to get all of them to 90

Also I guess i am gonna be spending all this white scrip on... materia?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just bought all the EW master crafting books.... now just need to get all of them to 90

Also I guess i am gonna be spending all this white scrip on... materia?

Crafting IX's still go for 7-10k gil on Aether.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finally got BLM to 90, wrapping up all the casters so I can finally dump the leveling gear.

BLM 80-88 is kinda boring since a lot of it is trait adjustments and you won’t be using High Fire/Blizzard outside of mobs. But Paradox is a really good button, looks nice, and finally replaces Fire I which flew aesthetically at Thamaturge levels, but not when I am making explosions. Hell, I think Paradox is unique in the sense that no other mage in the game so far has any attack like it, so it’s cool that it’s a move the WoL themselves likely created

I think from a gameplay perspective, the casters are all in good spots and are fun

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’m still getting to the portion where they expect you to have done scrip turnins but I think the HW stories are way better for like “here’s context for your profession”.

The ARR crafting stories weren’t bad but felt a little rote because they were always tied to the guildmaster in some way. The HW ones mostly being for Some Random Schmucks makes them more endearing for me. Big props to the disgraced house where the butler can only afford half a suit of armor to try to run to his lady’s rescue (ARM I think)

Anyways the recipe book requirements don’t bother me too much since they forcefully directed me to the collectibles which I’d been unsure about when to start

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm the Laurisse de Jervaint stan

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MechaX posted:

Hell, I think Paradox is unique in the sense that no other mage in the game so far has any attack like it, so it’s cool that it’s a move the WoL themselves likely created
In lieu of job quests I just like to imagine the WoL is the paragon of their job and they just start making poo poo up on the fly as new abilities. Oh, diametrically opposed elements fire and ice can't coexist? Well then check out my new spell Paradox! Studies say this shouldn't be possible!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SettingSun posted:

In lieu of job quests I just like to imagine the WoL is the paragon of their job and they just start making poo poo up on the fly as new abilities. Oh, diametrically opposed elements fire and ice can't coexist? Well then check out my new spell Paradox! Studies say this shouldn't be possible!

One weird trick to increase your damage. Thaumaturges hate him!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Kazy posted:

One weird trick to increase your damage. Thaumaturges hate him!

Actually, Cocobuki would probably love it. The man is all about innovation in methods of annihilation.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Endorph posted:

i dont think anyone really does this near as much as people say they do tbh, also reee is a lovely meme

from a few pages back, but my bad

I always associated it with videos of frogs screeching like maniacs at mild provocation and didnt put it together with 4channy ableist poo poo until i went looking into 'wait why does this suck.'

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MechaX posted:

Hell, I think Paradox is unique in the sense that no other mage in the game so far has any attack like it, so it’s cool that it’s a move the WoL themselves likely created

The boss of ARF has a fire and ice attack, but I suppose it's sort of two bosses.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SettingSun posted:

That's what you've been doing since level 70. The 70 capper quest ends with you adding to the job stone instead of deep secrets being revealed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The WoL invented pizza

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oxyclean posted:

The boss of ARF has a fire and ice attack, but I suppose it's sort of two bosses.

Cakedad uses fire and ice at the same time lots of times.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Who the gently caress is cakedad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hazardousmouse posted:

zurvan, I assume

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ferdiad Hollow in Dun Scaith has Flameflow, which is Fire and Water at the same time, close enough imo.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ice and water, quite different in Final Fantasy 1IV

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
You think we have fire and ice phases cause we're sucking all the fire aether out to blast someone, creating a hunk of ice so we just huck it at them?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SettingSun posted:

MCH: I'm gonna kill you with this shotgun and buzz saws I found on the ground

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Presumably you invented them since you're a machinist.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I love Paradox, but I also appreciate Amplifier a lot more than I thought I did, in part because of the animation. BLM's other polyglot-involved magic looks pretty tightly controlled and hands-off (like, a black crystal is conjured on top of your enemy, and when it shatters it releases purple auroras in broadly geometric shapes), but when you use Amplifier you just double over stabbing your staff into the ground and these tentacular violet flames just suffuse your entire body. Really feels like you're doing something that they warn you to never, ever do from day 1 of wizard school, except you're now so powerful you can get away with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hazardousmouse posted:

Good and evil, the war eternal!

He’s cake dad because he’s like a cake topper at the start of the fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought he was barrel pirate but cakedad has a good ring to it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good and evil, the war eternal!

He’s cake dad because he’s like a cake topper at the start of the fight.

I figured that's what you were going for but for a moment I was thinking cake = rear end, and I was like "I guess he has a lot of junk in his trunk if you see his trunk as his p2 lower body?"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

she's the best

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yoship is my uncle and he told me she'll be a main character and trust member in 7.0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oxyclean posted:

I figured that's what you were going for but for a moment I was thinking cake = rear end, and I was like "I guess he has a lot of junk in his trunk if you see his trunk as his p2 lower body?"

we lost real thiccness in the 1.x-2.x shift and it has never returned. all the junk in the trunk lost to time forever. there is no cake in eorzea in the same way there is an overabundance of cake in pixar moms.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

admanb posted:

that wouldn't affect parse %. FFLogs doesn't need to know how much damage abilities do to calculate your DPS and compare it to everyone else.

:eng101:
It actually does, but only for DoTs. The game doesn't report back the damage for each individual dot, it only reports 'this tick, the boss took X damage from all dots together' and FFLogs does some math to assign that damage to individual players.
That's how this happened:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KihraOfTemerity/status/1484166023167287300

The new dot at the end of the Confiteor combo and Goring Blade can't stack, but FFlogs assumed they do, so Paladins who played wrong stole some of the dot DPS from their party members.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 27, 2022

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Erg posted:

I’m still getting to the portion where they expect you to have done scrip turnins but I think the HW stories are way better for like “here’s context for your profession”.

The ARR crafting stories weren’t bad but felt a little rote because they were always tied to the guildmaster in some way. The HW ones mostly being for Some Random Schmucks makes them more endearing for me. Big props to the disgraced house where the butler can only afford half a suit of armor to try to run to his lady’s rescue (ARM I think)

Blacksmithing. Armorsmithing in Heavensward was about continuing to style on Blanstyr.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

we lost real thiccness in the 1.x-2.x shift and it has never returned. all the junk in the trunk lost to time forever. there is no cake in eorzea in the same way there is an overabundance of cake in pixar moms.

rear end sundered across 14 shards

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Zenos would have words with you. Absolute dump truck cake right there

(Mild Stormblood spoiler)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it a stormblood spoiler??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Magres posted:

Zenos would have words with you. Absolute dump truck cake right there

(Mild Stormblood spoiler)

In StB, yeah, you're definitely right. I think that's all armor, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

In StB, yeah, you're definitely right. I think that's all armor, though.

Like a Victorian hoop skirt, it is.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tamba posted:

:eng101:
It actually does, but only for DoTs. The game doesn't report back the damage for each individual dot, it only reports 'this tick, the boss took X damage from all dots together' and FFLogs does some math to assign that damage to individual players.
That's how this happened:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KihraOfTemerity/status/1484166023167287300

The new dot at the end of the Confiteor combo and Goring Blade can't stack, but FFlogs assumed they do, so Paladins who played wrong stole some of the dot DPS from their party members.

Nice! I was wondering how that poo poo in particular came to happen, and that makes (a very FFXIV-as-spaghetti) kind of sense.

Even in this hypothetical that would only make your buffed DPS as reported by FFLogs worse though, right? If your DoT's potency got buffed the damage would go up but you wouldn't be assigned the correct share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

admanb posted:

Nice! I was wondering how that poo poo in particular came to happen, and that makes (a very FFXIV-as-spaghetti) kind of sense.

Even in this hypothetical that would only make your buffed DPS as reported by FFLogs worse though, right? If your DoT's potency got buffed the damage would go up but you wouldn't be assigned the correct share.

This issue is bad players will overwrite one or both of the PLD dots with frequency. ACT doesn't pick that up and was giving PLD credit for dot damage as if both were running together. So there would be parts of the fight that 2x the dot share would be allocated to the PLDs instead of to the rest of the party. As a corollary to this, other party members' dps would have been slightly lower if they have a dot although total dps counted by ACT would be the same.