Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

if you're now wondering, how does any of this actually work, of course the answer is "it doesn't, which is why exchanges exist, and exchanges will just do everything locally on a local database and not touch the blockchain unless they abso-fuckin-lutely have to".

whenever you see someone talking about a DAO or smart contract exchange or whatever, things that actually run exclusively on the blockchain, keep that in mind

I'd wager most crypto people don't even know what a clearing house is [other than that magazine subscription sweepstakes thing] despite interacting with them basically every day, which is sort of the point of a clearing house, the things are just supposed to happen silently in a reasonable amount of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

I'd wager most crypto people don't even know what a clearing house is [other than that magazine subscription sweepstakes thing] despite interacting with them basically every day, which is sort of the point of a clearing house, the things are just supposed to happen silently in a reasonable amount of time

Yeah I never really understood what the actual application was supposed to be. It kind of assumes we live in a world where you can never trust anything or anybody, which I guess yes it is not entirely untrue but we are pretty good at coming up with effective centralized authorities which although often not perfect, often is just enough to get the job done. I remember speaking to my old CEO who was getting into crypto and wanted to track rocks through a mine using blockchain, but it was clear he had no idea what benefit it would give us over just doing whatever he was thinking in a centralized database. Long story short I think he eventually realized it was a silly idea, but I think if you are willing to put just a bit of trust into some kind of authority to keep everything in check and resolve issues independently, things get really efficient really quickly and you end up not needing a dinosaur of a system like blockchain.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

qhat posted:

Yeah I never really understood what the actual application was supposed to be. It kind of assumes we live in a world where you can never trust anything or anybody, which I guess yes it is not entirely untrue but we are pretty good at coming up with effective centralized authorities which although often not perfect, often is just enough to get the job done. I remember speaking to my old CEO who was getting into crypto and wanted to track rocks through a mine using blockchain, but it was clear he had no idea what benefit it would give us over just doing whatever he was thinking in a centralized database. Long story short I think he eventually realized it was a silly idea, but I think if you are willing to put just a bit of trust into some kind of authority to keep everything in check and resolve issues independently, things get really efficient really quickly and you end up not needing a dinosaur of a system like blockchain.

its attractive to the kind of person who inherently distrusts any sort of authority or thinks that central authorities cannot be reformed but not so much people who think that central authorities can actually work.

its interesting to me that "web3" advocates talk about how the internet has "centralized" in a small group of big tech companies and see web3 as the solution but don't seem to critically think about why that centralization took place. we had a pretty decentralized net back in the day, so there are reasons its like the way it is now.

and blockchains do nothing to address those reasons.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A lot of that can be answered via the following logic:

Government entities controlling everything: Bad
Private companies controlling everything: Good

Some may also believe that the second one is bad but utterly fail (or refuse to) understand how power concentrates.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
nioctib

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

niocttub
:science:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1486801072211570695

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'll believe it when I see it but l m a o if the biden admin accidentally helps save the planet by tanking crypto's "value" through the SEC

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

do it bithc

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Truman Peyote posted:

lol i was talking to my friend who recently quit his job to become a full-time freelance financial advisor. hes very happy he did it but he said the worst part is explaining what he does and hearing a pause before someone says "...huh. so what do you think of cryptocurrency"

gently caress I know that feeling

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
that's why i tell people i'm a proctologist

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

freelance

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BuT iT wIlL cRaSh ThE eCoNoMy!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Kazinsal posted:

I'll believe it when I see it but l m a o if the biden admin accidentally helps save the planet by tanking crypto's "value" through the SEC

:pray:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/FinancialProTip/status/1486248150906150912?s=20

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Goddamn, what server does she play on? Do they live in Ron’s basement?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mega agreed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

:hmmyes:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hammerite posted:

as a bonus, every child could come with his or her own NFT,

You mean Cabbage Patch Kids?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

blugu64 posted:

proof of shunning

Shunning-Krueger?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Don't do it, it is more hilarious now.

Also, don't do it, because regulating it will somehow have the government bailing these idiots out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
buttcoin:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

every one is the new best one
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1486910888590422018?s=21

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
security by absurdity

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SubG posted:

so… have you heard of buttcoin?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

p sure they already claimed the maximum bounty, bud

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's real weird how there's so many projects with bugs like "you can enter a price of zero" that nobody bothers to actually look for until they've deposited eighty million dollars despite the code being law publicly available on the blockchain

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

so… have you heard of buttcoin?
no what's a buttcoin?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

not much what's a buttcoin with you?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

SubG posted:

let me tell you about Grody rear end Butt Club, a new NFT series with a fantastic community and great fundamenfjhd;laks dluiaghiudy sag bfsud.f

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

let me tell you about Grody rear end Butt Club, a new NFT series with a fantastic community and great fundamenfjhd;laks dluiaghiudy sag bfsud.f

I'll take 69!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

https://opensea.io/collection/bored-ape-butt

quote:

Behind every successful bored ape, there is a bored butt. This collection brings the story of the bored ape butts.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
it's impossible to satirise cryptocurrency

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

it's impossible to satirise cryptocurrency

Maybe if someone had the courage to say buttcoin.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

somehow low effort just keep getting lower

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

somehow low effort just keep getting lower

Introducing, Sagging Ape Balls NFT collection.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Pre-Stolen Ape Collection is a collection of unique blank GIFs starting at 420 eth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

it's real weird how there's so many projects with bugs like "you can enter a price of zero" that nobody bothers to actually look for until they've deposited eighty million dollars despite the code being law publicly available on the blockchain

imagine walking into a bank where the blueprints to the vault were posted on the wall in the hopes that a structural engineer will walk by and bother telling other customers that the walls are structurally unsound, much less offer free remediation consultations to the bank