Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

jokes posted:

Monster hunter loving sucks at dressup because you don’t get to just wear what you want, everything fucks with your stats. No transmog function outside of a handful of “layered armor” poo poo. No I didn’t play Rise because:

Monster hunter loving sucks

I was intensely fuckin mad ok?

**livid and smoldering**** about this poo poo

In monster hunter world, they didn't have an option to give my palico an eyepatch or something, despite the fact that the meowscular chef CLEARLY DEMONSTRATES that cool battle damage over the eye is alright for felynes in MHW. So I don't get it, MHGU lets me get a prowler with the eye scar, but not MHW? Bullshit. Now we get Rise and the eye scar is back but you can only get is on the palamute! It's not JUST a fashion thing, capcom! SOME OF US HAVE PETS THAT HAVE LOST THEIR EYE AND WE WANT TO ACCURATELY PORTRAY THEM IN THE GAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ULRHwo2Gs

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thats why you put them to sleep (not an euphemism) when they are limping away

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Final Fantasy XIV monster hunter Hollow Knight Resident Evil 6 disco elysium Dark Souls Planescape (deep breath) Bloodborne PC gaming Pokemon Crusader Kings shmups Xcom 2

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Final Fantasy XIV monster hunter Hollow Knight Resident Evil 6 disco elysium Dark Souls Planescape (deep breath) Bloodborne PC gaming Pokemon Crusader Kings shmups Xcom 2

fortnite

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

*nods* Undertale Inscryption

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wasn’t having a great time with MHW until I stumbled upon the gunlance and suddenly had so much fun I played a hundred+ hours. All the weapons play so different that it can work to the games detriment if you pick something lame as your starter weapon like the insect glaive or non-gun lance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked the insect glaive because I got to whirly-swirly through the air.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I liked doing somersaults down the spine of a T-Rex thing with two spiky scimitars.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i prefer IG because of its high mobility. dash whenever, wherever, and no need to find an inconvenient cliff to do a mount attack. however the bug is a pain in the rear end.

it's also extremely weak vs stygian zinogre

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Why must every skin in FPS games look like burning man rejects? For once I'd like to play as an overweight man in boxers and a wife beater or an elderly man with a fedora. Or an actual honest to god clown.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GyverMac posted:

Why must every skin in FPS games look like burning man rejects? For once I'd like to play as an overweight man in boxers and a wife beater or an elderly man with a fedora. Or an actual honest to god clown.

I miss Timesplitters, too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no one wants to see what you look like in real life

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Nothing is worse than creating the perfect mix&match custom outfit in a soulslike/monster hunter/whatever and then discovering that two of the models are clipping through each other. Even losing a loved one can’t compare.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Space Kablooey posted:

thats why you put them to sleep (not an euphemism) when they are limping away

delivering a tranquilized dino to the research center and getting paid with a big bag of bones, teeth, and assorted internal organs
don't worry they're probably just doing tag-and-release

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

We didn't start the fire

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

delivering a tranquilized dino to the research center and getting paid with a big bag of bones, teeth, and assorted internal organs

how do i keep fighting all these one headed rathians but they drop three heads! sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief and just roll with it. i think in the past ten, fifteen years, people have gotten too obsessed with worthless philosophical minutiae like ludonarrative dissonance and forgetting that they're literally PLAYING A GAME. if they say there's a nice farm in upstate new york where they have ten thousand yian kut ku... there can be, because it's all imaginary, we're all just looking at the same extremely complicated illusion. i'm sorry you had to find out this way

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If I kill a cat in deus ex i reload from my last save because I'm not a psychopath

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insect glaive is my favorite MH weapon though hammer is a close second

jokes posted:

Monster hunter loving sucks at dressup because you don’t get to just wear what you want, everything fucks with your stats. No transmog function outside of a handful of “layered armor” poo poo. No I didn’t play Rise because:

Monster hunter loving sucks

Rise has full transmog, they just call it "layered armor." World kinda does, too, after Iceborne. Though it is admittedly more of a process because you have to craft layered armor separately to unlock it as a transmog option, but that just uses "outfit vouchers" that you get from doing side quests and stuff. IIRC you can get a layered armor version of any armor set in Rise. You can even dye armor and save appearance sets that you can apply from your equipment menu. Rise legitimately has really good appearance customization options.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Insect glaive is my favorite MH weapon though hammer is a close second

Rise has full transmog, they just call it "layered armor." World kinda does, too, after Iceborne. Though it is admittedly more of a process because you have to craft layered armor separately to unlock it as a transmog option, but that just uses "outfit vouchers" that you get from doing side quests and stuff. IIRC you can get a layered armor version of any armor set in Rise. You can even dye armor and save appearance sets that you can apply from your equipment menu. Rise legitimately has really good appearance customization options.

well im sold on rise

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I’ll play it I guess

Im a huge fuckin’ sucker for dressup

E: before I put human dollars up, will someone explain how MonHun transmog works? I’m hoping beyond hope there’s an adjacent slot for cosmetic gear and you just drop your cutest armor in that slot and it only changes appearances, completely separated from your stats gear

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you used to be able to transmog and wear whatever you want in every game pre-world
mh:w removed that feature so they could sell microtransaction outfits
apparently Rise added it back? idk i haven't played it yet

Previous games in the series had no transmog options at all. Going by non-Japan release dates, World was actually the first Monster Hunter to feature any kind of transmog. (MH Generations Ultimate had full transmog but didn't come out in the west until after World.)

And yeah, Rise once again has full transmog.

jokes posted:

E: before I put human dollars up, will someone explain how MonHun transmog works? I’m hoping beyond hope there’s an adjacent slot for cosmetic gear and you just drop your cutest armor in that slot and it only changes appearances, completely separated from your stats gear

You have to get fairly far into the game before you unlock it, but once you do, you can craft a "layered" version of each piece of armor for a pittance of that armor's normal materials and an "outfit voucher" (which you'll get dozens of as you play). These layered armor pieces go into separate slots that only apply visually and don't affect stats.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fairly far, as in “just beat the game for the first time”?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fur20 posted:

how do i keep fighting all these one headed rathians but they drop three heads! sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief and just roll with it. i think in the past ten, fifteen years, people have gotten too obsessed with worthless philosophical minutiae like ludonarrative dissonance and forgetting that they're literally PLAYING A GAME. if they say there's a nice farm in upstate new york where they have ten thousand yian kut ku... there can be, because it's all imaginary, we're all just looking at the same extremely complicated illusion. i'm sorry you had to find out this way

Because we enjoy laughing at the goofy contradictions. Those guys clearly moonlight as the hydra.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I hear Dr. Vahlen from xcom studied there.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

jokes posted:

Fairly far, as in “just beat the game for the first time”?

It's hard to say what "beat the game" means in the context of Monster Hunter since you can get a credits roll when you've only seen like half of the monsters to fight. I think transmog unlocks at the same time that you unlock the final, hardest tier of monsters (though even then there are more monsters to unlock within that tier so you're not really done yet).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You have to complete the main story to get to the "craft any layered armor" thing in Rise, I think. Though you're allowed to use special event-only or DLC layered armor before that point if you have it.

jokes posted:

Layered armor is only appearance and has no effect on your stats. It's a transmog system. You just have separate "layered armor" cosmetic-only slots that override the appearance of whatever your "real" stat-giving armor has. There's no cost to change your layered armor you just change what's in the slots at your normal equipment box things.

You can also make layered armor for your palico and palamute buddies.

Worth noting that Rise is pretty different from World structure-wise. It has a much, much less involved story and less of a focus on tracking monsters than World (which introduced the glowing tracker flies). Rise just tells you where the monster is and you go and fight it. It has great movement options, too.

Rise is interesting because I think a lot of people who started with World feel like it's a step back and a "cheaper" game, but it also has more monsters and a much wider variety of weapons and armor, and structurally it's a return to the older Monster Hunter games (just with some of World's QoL features and the open maps instead of individual areas like the older games).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah. Never mind then, if you have to basically beat the game before being able to dressup then that doesn’t seem very good

Monster Hunter still loving sucks. Getting better though!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Ah. Never mind then, if you have to basically beat the game before being able to dressup then that doesn’t seem very good

Monster Hunter still loving sucks. Getting better though!

You don't. Rise's main story is really short compared to World's and wraps up before you've seen a good chunk of the monsters. You can honestly think of the main story of Rise as an introduction to the whole game system (low rank, then high rank) and then when it's over that's basically when the game cuts you loose.

World tried to be a lot more story-driven than the vast majority of MH games and so had a long-ish main story that introduced you to the majority of monsters in the launch game. Rise is more like the older ones, though I'm told its story is even shorter and simpler than some of those.

Though I would say that if you'd only be into a Monster Hunter game for the main story you'd probably be disappointed by Rise anyway. It has lots of monsters to fight and tons and tons of stuff to do after the main story is over, but the main story is very barebones and definitely not a major focus of the game.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 27, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow I know you play final fantasy 12. At what point of Final Fantasy 12 would the equivalent be to unlock the transmog in MonHun? In my mind I’m thinking Great Crystal.

E: the comparison might not be accurate, because FF12 doesn’t really do endgame.

Maybe, like, what level in classic WoW would you be

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Harrow I know you play final fantasy 12. At what point of Final Fantasy 12 would the equivalent be to unlock the transmog in MonHun? In my mind I’m thinking Great Crystal.

That's kind of a tough comparison because it's such a different experience. Like yeah, Great Crystal is about right, but also the path to get there is a lot shorter. FF12 has tons and tons of walking and fighting and dungeons between the start and that, which Rise really doesn't.

It's sorta like... getting to level cap in a WoW expansion, to use a point of comparison we'll both get. Not an FFXIV expansion, but a WoW one, where you kinda just quest to level cap and there's not a 40-50 hour story along the way.

edit: lol we both went to WoW

But yeah Monster Hunter games really are sorta "the real game begins at endgame" kinda things.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lmao WoW worked

Gotcha. Thanks!

I wonder if they do that to push you to buy DLC layered armors? Like a compromise between World’s transmog approach?

IIRC World had a transmog mod that worked, and I think others would see your modded armor appearance too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Lmao WoW worked

Gotcha. Thanks!

I wonder if they do that to push you to buy DLC layered armors? Like a compromise between World’s transmog approach?

IIRC World had a transmog mod that worked, and I think others would see your modded armor appearance too?

That could be. World eventually had craftable layered armor as well with the Iceborne expansion but that was added really late and I don't think they ever added all of the armor to it. It was really frustrating.

Rise launched without a real layered armor system, too, just the DLC ones you could get, which I also thought was really disappointing. And then they added the full "craft any armor as a layered armor set" system in the first major patch shortly after launch so the disappointment was short-lived.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah, World had a transmog mod that worked even in multiplayer, because under the hood the system is set up to let any piece of gear in the game act as layered armor, but they just didn't give you the inventory items needed to do it outside of specific pieces, and the mod bypassed that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Very happy to see a lot of positive monster hunter talk in the thread

I finally started Doom eternal tonight and I don't know how I feel about it. Its a fun enough time shooting the enemies and the great glory kill animations but I'm only 2 levels in and there's already been some bad platforming sections and some goofy cutscenes

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I finally started Doom eternal tonight and I don't know how I feel about it. Its a fun enough time shooting the enemies and the great glory kill animations but I'm only 2 levels in and there's already been some bad platforming sections and some goofy cutscenes

Yeah...there are plenty more sorry to say. Occasionally it hits a sweet spot but I cannot say I prefer it at all over the last iterations.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah well, not every game can be as good as Postal 2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That was pretty much my thought as well, instead of a Doom game it felt like I was playing a sequel to Painkiller (which would be fine and all, those games were fine, but what I actually wanted is a Doom game)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

petting dogs in games is overrated

its awful when game marketing doofus puts out some tweet that's like "And yes folkes, that's right, you can pet the dog!"

and a bunch of wangs on messageboards are like "can I pet the dog?" Like who gives a gently caress

but seriously give me a cat I can pick up and walk around with on my shoulder though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

petting dogs in games is overrated

its awful when game marketing doofus puts out some tweet that's like "And yes folkes, that's right, you can pet the dog!"

and a bunch of wangs on messageboards are like "can I pet the dog?" Like who gives a gently caress

but seriously give me a cat I can pick up and walk around with on my shoulder though

Any game with animal companionships should allow me to interact with those companions. I wanna pet dogs or feed horses or brush the pony's mane because they're a pretty horse.

Usually these games are full of novel ways to interact with the world writ large or enemies (usually through dialogue or combat), so let me interact with my friends (dogs)

Conan Exiles is like the biggest sleeper rpg in probably the past 15 years.