Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

site posted:

can't wait for the dynasty crisis because boba is a clone and technically not a true mandalorian

Does Boba even know/care about all that Mando poo poo? I thought he just took his dad's cool armour when he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Orthanc6 posted:

Last time she asked him this was season 1 where again, Paz Vizsla was questioning Din's character. It is odd she chose to ask this after the duel, not before, but she did the same in season 1, asking only when the 2 duelists were locked together with knives ready to kill each other. So I guess it's how they resolve duels without constantly getting their members killed.

That said, The Armorer casting Din out could very well be a sign of their way being a dead end. They only had 3 of them left and then they still cast one out. They survived the Purge out of luck. Their extremism got them exiled from Mandalor and now continues to weaken them. I think Din will still go to Mandalor to try and atone, but I'm fairly sure he will be choosing to leave The Way as Armorer defines it and follow his own new Way. With the Dark Saber he remains uniquely qualified to convince other Mandalorians that his Way is the new hotness.

Yeah, I think it's going to a synthesis of the ritualistic fundamentalist part of Armorer and the pragmatic secular modern way Bo symbolizes.

Also I friggin loved that the Armorer actually used her tongs in the training session.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

stev posted:

Does Boba even know/care about all that Mando poo poo? I thought he just took his dad's cool armour when he died.

When Bo Katan's group said he "wasn't a real Mandalorian" Fett responded "Never said I was", so I'm assuming he doesn't give a poo poo about Mando stuff beyond his armour.

He has no connection to Mandalore that we've seen, I think, other than Jango being a Mandalorian. Maybe he heard stories and poo poo from him, but I don't think he ever went to Mandalore or maybe even met any others.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Thundercracker posted:

Also I friggin loved that the Armorer actually used her tongs in the training session.

Its cool worldbuilding & characterization. She has to use them by necessity, as they are training with a lightsaber & you need beskar to block it safely. However, if we think back to her melting the spear down - beskar isn't supposed to be used to make weapons because it can easily defeat their armor. Yet she is undeniably able to fight with her forge weapons. Is she the most dangerous mandalorian in a close combat fight? She has the implements to defeat the invincible beskar and the combat practice to use them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
When Boba's talking to Mando about his stuff he says "The armor was given to my father, Jango, by your forebears" (emphasis mine).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When Boba's talking to Mando about his stuff he says "The armor was given to my father, Jango, by your forebears" (emphasis mine).

Yea this. He also fires up the fancy holographic family tree to prove it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He establishes his claim to the armor without ever calling himself a mandalorian. I’m semi-surprised there wasn’t more friction from Din over that.

e: on 2nd thought, Din is bad about playing the “well technically I never lied” game, so maybe not.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 28, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Din is all about honor and respect which is why he’s Mandobros with Boba. Boba gonna teach him how to properly say “I ammmmm Din Djarin.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He also let Cobb Vanth use the armor provided he got it back at the end. Din is a good dude.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Armorer’s Tools aren’t designed to pierce Beskar armor, so maybe they get a pass.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If beskar is meant only for armor what are the whistling birds for, Armorer? Checkmate, fundie.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I heard the armorer came make Ligma out of Beskar.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The best talky parts of Mando/Boba are when they slow down and examine Mandalorian culture through unreliable narrators, so the biggest disappointment with Boba Fett for me is that he hasn't really challenged it. If you got ol' Din Djarin in the middle of a Mandalorian political axis, and Bo Katan's all about passion and individualism on the one end while the Armorer's all about duty and collectivism on the other, I feel like Boba should represent a third wheel that's all about wearing cool armor, not giving a poo poo, and being really good at killing people. The kinda guy who would 'yeah ok' at the Darksaber lore being explained and then shoot its owner in the back of the head while they were sleeping cause its cool as hell and probably would sell for a lot of money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

If beskar is meant only for armor what are the whistling birds for, Armorer? Checkmate, fundie.

Jon Favreau is a hack fraud writer.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Boba is Din's Huckleberry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That DICK! posted:

The kinda guy who would 'yeah ok' at the Darksaber lore being explained and then shoot its owner in the back of the head while they were sleeping cause its cool as hell and probably would sell for a lot of money.

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well guess what, times have changed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still can’t believe that Amy Sedaris saying she hosed a Jawa and confirmed for the first time ever in canon that they’re furry underneath all those robes was only like the fifth or sixth greatest thing about this episode.

Jawas are desert Ewoks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Jawas are desert Ewoks.

Ewoks are far more polite and British.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6XYj1NZCa4

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It feels like more could have been made from that big spear than just Grogu's little gift bag. Where'd the rest of it go?

It also did feel a little strange that Tattooine, that didn't even accept Republic credits a while back, now has commercial flights and Republic patrols.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I totally missed it the first time around, but when Sedaris is talking about how she used to gently caress a Jawa, one of the two selling her scrap asks her out and she blows him off.

"Oh that's okay, I'm working on me right now"

lol

edit: Sedaris, with an 'e'

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 28, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BrianWilly posted:

It feels like more could have been made from that big spear than just Grogu's little gift bag. Where'd the rest of it go?

It also did feel a little strange that Tattooine, that didn't even accept Republic credits a while back, now has commercial flights and Republic patrols.

Despite it ostensibly being in Hutt Space, the Empire occupied Tatooine during A New Hope and after Jabba died and the Emperor blowed up the locals kicked the Imps out. I'd say that with the power vacuum more people would be willing to accept the credits again, especially if the Empire brought the currency with them during the occupation.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

i assume only the spear tip was made of beskar. kind of a waste otherwise ya know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

It goes to the covent to make armor for future mandos they raise / train. Just like in s1.

e:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also someone earlier asked why it would take all of the spear's metal to make a little chain-mail shirt; it wouldn't, but the remaining beskar is put into a pool for future use for the clan as shown in one of the early episodes from season one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 28, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

That DICK! posted:

i assume only the spear tip was made of beskar. kind of a waste otherwise ya know.

The whole thing was beskar so it could block lightsabers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

40 years and 3 total governments is plenty of opportunity for something change.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The whole thing was beskar so it could block lightsabers.

oh yeah. well. i dunno. maybe like 80% goes to the wacko collective.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, tithing a portion of beskar hauls was already established, as Capslock noted.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It goes to the covent to make armor for future mandos they raise / train. Just like in s1.

uhhhh what future mandos? Who's bringing recruits to the Armorer and Saltypants Favreau on Ringworld now that they've kicked out the one guy who goes out and does stuff?

Hazo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 28, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That DICK! posted:

The best talky parts of Mando/Boba are when they slow down and examine Mandalorian culture through unreliable narrators, so the biggest disappointment with Boba Fett for me is that he hasn't really challenged it. If you got ol' Din Djarin in the middle of a Mandalorian political axis, and Bo Katan's all about passion and individualism on the one end while the Armorer's all about duty and collectivism on the other, I feel like Boba should represent a third wheel that's all about wearing cool armor, not giving a poo poo, and being really good at killing people. The kinda guy who would 'yeah ok' at the Darksaber lore being explained and then shoot its owner in the back of the head while they were sleeping cause its cool as hell and probably would sell for a lot of money.

I think Jango Fett might have done that, but one of the key points here is that Boba Fett, despite being a literal clone of Jango, is not like his father. The (presumably) years he spent with the Sand People changed him. He wants to be a figure of honor and respect. Ironically he wants to do this by being a crime lord - the only authority figures with which he is truly familiar.

Boba doesn't really care about Mandalore or the Darksaber or The Way. He wanted the armor back because it was pretty much the only tangible link he had to his father. I think in some ways Boba does represent a third way but that third way is more "learn from and accept the past but then build something new."

BrianWilly posted:

Probably into the communal "pot" to build more armor stuff.

Figure in the wake of the Empire's fall, Tatooine might be becoming something of a tourist destination. It's where Obi-wan Kenobi spent his exile and where Luke Skywalker was born.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Everyone posted:

Probably into the communal "pot" to build more armor stuff.

That communal pot is just like the money you give your gang in RDR2. Everyone is contributing, it’s just Arthur gives a few hundred to a few thousand at a time, and everyone else might toss in some pocket lint.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hazo posted:

uhhhh what future mandos? Who's bringing recruits to the Armorer and Saltypants Favreau on Ringworld now that they've kicked out the one guy who goes out and does stuff?

idk they might catch a kid that falls off the ring.

Or go full Jedi and start kidnapping kids. Surely one of them goes topside to get food. Snatch a kid too on the way back :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Everyone posted:

Figure in the wake of the Empire's fall, Tatooine might be becoming something of a tourist destination. It's where Obi-wan Kenobi spent his exile and where Luke Skywalker was born.

Wow, sure hope no one ever buries a lightsaber next to his old house, then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wow, sure hope no one ever buries a lightsaber next to his old house, then.

Who are you?

I'm Rey.

Rey who?

[sees a guy in armor and a helmet in the distance]

I AM BOBA FETT.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Omega Fett is also presumably alive and more normal than the other Mandalorians.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Everyone posted:

Boba doesn't really care about Mandalore or the Darksaber or The Way. He wanted the armor back because it was pretty much the only tangible link he had to his father. I think in some ways Boba does represent a third way but that third way is more "learn from and accept the past but then build something new."

Mandalorians Going Their Own Way

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, at some point we have to address the elephant in the room that these current TV properties are setting up all sorts of interesting Star Warsian poo poo -- the retaking of Mandalore, the uplifting of Tattooine, the remnants of the Empire, even hints of reigniting the Jedi-Mandalorian conflict........

...and none of this is going to matter to the galaxy at large because it can't, the First Order still comes and fucks everything up, we still have to go all the way back to square one, again, or else pretend that Din, Boba, and Bo-Katan are all just sitting pretty on their glorious thriving Mandolarian nation while Luke and Leia and Han all sadly die while watching everything they've worked for trudge back to the drawing board.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Are you kidding?

The reason Kylo Renn had anger management issues is because Bo, Boba and Din took his helmet and were playing keep away. :D

edit: and possibly a pantsing. :p

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 28, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, at some point we have to address the elephant in the room that these current TV properties are setting up all sorts of interesting Star Warsian poo poo -- the retaking of Mandalore, the uplifting of Tattooine, the remnants of the Empire, even hints of reigniting the Jedi-Mandalorian conflict........

...and none of this is going to matter to the galaxy at large because it can't, the First Order still comes and fucks everything up, we still have to go all the way back to square one, again, or else pretend that Din, Boba, and Bo-Katan are all just sitting pretty on their glorious thriving Mandolarian nation while Luke and Leia and Han all sadly die while watching everything they've worked for trudge back to the drawing board.

It's not like there's a vast, recently decanonized collection of multimedia that showed how easy it was to tell side stories alongside a main story that was about how miserable and lovely the galaxy was under a bunch of brutal space fascists. Or even a recent set of cartoons that showed how easy it was to take the utter slop a set of three lovely setting-ruining movies left the franchise with and do something amazing with them.

It's clearly loving impossible. Why bother?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

That….. is really not to far out there. No one on Tattooine gives a gently caress about who sits on the iron throne. When it was the empire, you had to deal with stormtroopers checking papers. With the New Republic, you get speeding tickets for having some fun. New boss same as the old boss.

And Mandalor was neutral through the clone wars. It took Death Watch and a Sith Lord to drag the glorious thriving mandalorian nation into the war, and I doubt they’ll be rushing to fight besides anyone in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

40 years and 3 total governments is plenty of opportunity for something change.

Also being the home of Luke "Destroyed the Death Star, killed Vader and the Emperor (as far as anyone knows)" Skywalker is probably good for tourism, or at least something the Republic would want to keep an eye on.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 28, 2022