Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
even a decent paladin will clip the dots slightly depending on their GCD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cheetah7071 posted:

even a decent paladin will clip the dots slightly depending on their GCD

Isn't it just the last tick, though (3 seconds or less)? IIRC, there's something about the last tick of a dot that a reapplication during that window doesn't actually cause any loss due to the damage calculation in game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm a very bad paladin and frequently clip my dots terribly because I autopilot to "okay Requiescat's done time to hit Goring Blade combo :)"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't it just the last tick, though (3 seconds or less)? IIRC, there's something about the last tick of a dot that a reapplication during that window doesn't actually cause any loss due to the damage calculation in game.

oh maybe, I just see that I inevitably re-apply goring blade when there's 1 second left of the blade of valor dot and assume clipping is happening

I never bothered to learn dot clipping mechanics beyond "try not to clip" because my main is 2.50 gcd dragoon which can't even manage to keep 100% uptime on its dot

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Put the game down for a while as my sub expires and I died in the first fight against Ran'jit.

I know for a fact I get my rear end kicked in the next cutscene, so I don't know they have to be so rigid with these scenarios. Remember when Wolfenstein II forced you to win the grueling fight in the courtroom, even though the whole thing was just a dream anyway?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cheetah7071 posted:

oh maybe, I just see that I inevitably re-apply goring blade when there's 1 second left of the blade of valor dot and assume clipping is happening

I never bothered to learn dot clipping mechanics beyond "try not to clip" because my main is 2.50 gcd dragoon which can't even manage to keep 100% uptime on its dot

It was much more of a big deal back in the day when pretty much everyone had at least one dot and many people had multiple.

I can't remember all of the details, but i has to do with the way the game actually tracks dots. They tick every eorzean minute. When you have less than 3 seconds on a dot and reapply, it's just up again for the next tick. There's no loss.

Magres posted:

I'm a very bad paladin and frequently clip my dots terribly because I autopilot to "okay Requiescat's done time to hit Goring Blade combo :)"

This situation, otoh, clips it at around 8-9 seconds left. That means you lose out on at least 2 ticks of the dot.

As I talk of old dots, I got nostalgic for phlebotomize. I still miss HW dragoon and have it's rotation seared into my muscle memory. Flank for heavy thrust, move behind for impulse drive, disembowel, then chaos thrust, randomly get fang and claw or wheeling thrust (with their positionals), phlebotomize, true thrust, vorpal thrust, full thrust, random finisher, and repeat.

Monk had two with fracture and arm of the destroyer, right? War had 30s fracture (miss you). PLD had circle of scorn and 18s fracture. SMN/SCH had bio, bio II, miasma, and miasma II. So many dots.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 28, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I figured that's what you were going for but for a moment I was thinking cake = rear end, and I was like "I guess he has a lot of junk in his trunk if you see his trunk as his p2 lower body?"

Well friend, let me introduce you to FF14 mods, where I have to download mods to nerf the rear end on the mods I only download for 4K textures and fingernails.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chillgamesh posted:

The WoL invented pizza

Well they did a poo poo job of it because who the gently caress puts peppermint on a pizza?

There's even multiple types of basil in the game! They had no excuse!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hazardousmouse posted:

Great. I couldn't even get my FC owner to give me access to the garden that no one's touched in a year. I think he considers it his FC and is unwilling to give anyone access to anything

Ah poo poo I forgot to check my peppers last night, I bet they're dead

That's insane to me. "Yes, I like the idea of more work for me."

Meanwhile, no one in my FC seems interested in gardening. I set permissions so anyone can plant/tend to the garden and the same plants have been there for three months. Also opened up the FC airships/subs for anyone who wanted them but no one seems to care about that either. Oh well. More for me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it a stormblood spoiler??

Oh rip I thought I was posting in the LP thread, spoiler policy there is pretty broad, and with good reason!

Hah, fool that I am.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I saw someone in Shout complain about the Tomahawk buff, of all things, saying that it would beat Shield Lob, which sounds like a weird thing to complain about? Are there really situations where tanks would fight for enmity rather than one gets the first hit, the other turns off tank stance? Other than tank swapping, and even then you can just Provoke/Shirk. Am I missing something?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 28, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

So I saw someone in Shout complain about the Tomahawk buff, of all things, saying that it would beat Shield Lob, which sounds like a weird thing to complain about? Are there really situations where tanks would fight for enmity rather than one gets the first hit, the other turns off tank stance? Other than tank swapping, and even then you can just Provoke/Shirk. Am I missing something?

Sounds like they're just an idiot. Why would a PLD use Shield Lob instead of Holy Spirit anyway?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Unlucky7 posted:

these situations are called alliance roulette. the struggle for dominance in who is tanking the boss makes your job stone brighter

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It matters for hunts. Which in turn actually mattered briefly when Primal had an early puller WAR legend with BiS or close to it (he stopped though). You can't reset to extend the S rank if there's no way to out aggro tomahawk.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pollyanna posted:

It's the principle of the thing :mad:

I leveled all crafters this time around and doing all the questlines took so much loving time. I also wanted to craft/gather everything myself instead of just buying it off the market . I was so loving happy when I finally got to the SB quests and found out they just hand you the mats and all you have to do is craft, like for beast tribe quests.

Deliveries in ShB and EW are also a much better system since there's no obnoxiously rare materials/recipes involved and you get a crapton of XP and scrips out of it. Plus it's only 3 series of deliveries, not 8 goddamn questlines.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
inner release tomahawk spam is an important part of the hunt ecosystem

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Algid posted:

It matters for hunts. Which in turn actually mattered briefly when Primal had an early puller WAR legend with BiS or close to it (he stopped though). You can't reset to extend the S rank if there's no way to out aggro tomahawk.

How does it matter for Hunts? I am still confused.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

these situations are called alliance roulette. the struggle for dominance in who is tanking the boss makes your job stone brighter

Note that this doesn't apply to the second boss of the last Lv80 alliance raid. There is only ever one tank then.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Raised By Birds posted:

Note that this doesn't apply to the second boss of the last Lv80 alliance raid. There is only ever one tank then.

I think you mean the second lvl80 alliance raid, people can and do fight over Hansel and Gretel, to disastrous results :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Unlucky7 posted:

How does it matter for Hunts? I am still confused.

Tank ranged attacks are the only ones that have +enmity to them. If you want to be at the top of the tank pile, you have to use that attack.

Wars can get three crit direct hits in a row with it - no other tank has anything close.

Enmity matters on hunts because hunts are actually giant fates with no markers and there's an entire culture built around hunt trains and handling them in the way the mob sees fit. If someone pulls early, another tank can grab hate and drag the hunt boss to the end of their tether which will reset their health. A warrior troll can grab hate on a hunt mob and hold it indefinitely because no other tank can outpace it and provoke doesn't work on hunt targets.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/coolgarydotnet/status/1486192223158816769?s=20&t=Gdp1BNK_LTlDpPShPoHIcA

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Begemot posted:

I think you mean the second lvl80 alliance raid, people can and do fight over Hansel and Gretel, to disastrous results :v:

Different experiences, I guess. I've seen too many Hansels and Gretels where one tank jumps in and the other two don't even seem to know they're required until after the first link, if there are aggro fights over one of the twins it must be less noticeable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kyrosiris posted:

Well they did a poo poo job of it because who the gently caress puts peppermint on a pizza?

There's even multiple types of basil in the game! They had no excuse!

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurryObeseOxVoteYea-Z_lsc2OZlkdKzTK8

I did make this once too and it's fine enough as a novelty but I would not do it as a go-to

Also pizza is a high-level recipe, basil is too low-level an item for it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that doesn't stop them from putting Cinnamon (an ilvl 4 item you harvest outside Gridania) in the recipe for Tsai tou Vounou, the current best endgame crafting food

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

I would rescue this dweeb so hard

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
He's added more sound effects to the lines since this tweet.

hazardousmouse posted:

I think he's made a Between the Lines macro too

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I now have a reason to actually learn to play healer...just so I can queue up with this guy and rescue him out of every single leyline he drops.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That guy is in DGKK, just FYI, lmao

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
...Does he actually expect people to read that?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mad Wack posted:

i don't like to game with goons after some experiences in the wow days but it's pretty easy to find good active larger FCs via FF14's community finder - https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/community_finder/

just select free companies and you can read about the ones that are recruiting, what they are about, their size, etc etc, most of the bigger ones have their own websites/discords and if they are larger + been around for awhile they know how to recruit/welcome new members

Seems like they can just put anything they want on there. Top FC I looked at for Famfrit doesn't even have a Famfrit FC

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy Basil is a 4.0 item and Lime Basil is a 5.0 item. :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How many Astronomy tomestones could you have earned by now, 1800?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

How many Astronomy tomestones could you have earned by now, 1800?

If you capped every week, yeah.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Not as good as the classic FFXI Boost macro

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

WrightOfWay posted:

Not as good as the classic FFXI Boost macro

(Cut my life into pieces, this is my <Last Resort>)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've gradually come to the conclusion that the only truly meaningful difference between jobs in FF14 is whether they make heavy use of cast times. All other jobs ultimately just feel like different algorithms applied to series of button presses.

Ojetor posted:

I leveled all crafters this time around and doing all the questlines took so much loving time. I also wanted to craft/gather everything myself instead of just buying it off the market . I was so loving happy when I finally got to the SB quests and found out they just hand you the mats and all you have to do is craft, like for beast tribe quests.

Deliveries in ShB and EW are also a much better system since there's no obnoxiously rare materials/recipes involved and you get a crapton of XP and scrips out of it. Plus it's only 3 series of deliveries, not 8 goddamn questlines.

Regarding leveling crafting, isn't it the case now that the Ixal quests are no longer necessary (or optimal at least) for leveling 1-50? That's kind of a shame, since I would wager that like 1/3 of my total FF14 playtime is doing those quests, and the area and music in which those quests take place is burned into my mind more than any other FF14 thing short of MSQ roulette content.

Hogama posted:

For better or worse, Ninja's history in Final Fantasy has always been "Thief-adjacent, throws stuff for big damage, often dual-wields, frequently uses some low-end elemental magic or the equivalent in a variant system, and has some defense tricks." That's all in XIV in various ways and only XI really went wild with that last point. We just ended up with more of a caster hybrid than the usual FF Ninja because it's part of the core rotation of the job and scales to endgame without using hard-to-replenish resources which historically has been a bit of an issue for Ninjutsu :v:.

FF14 needs to bring back Ninja as tank with Utsusemi

While I never played end-game FF11 myself, my friend did, so I learned that apparently it was a meta to always have Ninja as a subclass so you could use Utsusemi to tank.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Mountain Buster is my new favourite button.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Erg posted:

I’m still getting to the portion where they expect you to have done scrip turnins but I think the HW stories are way better for like “here’s context for your profession”.

The ARR crafting stories weren’t bad but felt a little rote because they were always tied to the guildmaster in some way. The HW ones mostly being for Some Random Schmucks makes them more endearing for me. Big props to the disgraced house where the butler can only afford half a suit of armor to try to run to his lady’s rescue (ARM I think)

Anyways the recipe book requirements don’t bother me too much since they forcefully directed me to the collectibles which I’d been unsure about when to start

It's BSM. You forge SEVERAL swords for them.

W.T. Fits posted:

Blacksmithing. Armorsmithing in Heavensward was about continuing to style on Blanstyr.

As was Stormblood. All of ARM is styling on Blanstyr.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm the Laurisse de Jervaint stan

:agreed:

E:

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding leveling crafting, isn't it the case now that the Ixal quests are no longer necessary (or optimal at least) for leveling 1-50? That's kind of a shame, since I would wager that like 1/3 of my total FF14 playtime is doing those quests, and the area and music in which those quests take place is burned into my mind more than any other FF14 thing short of MSQ roulette content.

It's not mandatory, but it's helpful. There are big chunks of 1-50 where leveling is either leves or turn-ins, and the Ixal help break the monotony.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 28, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

I've gradually come to the conclusion that the only truly meaningful difference between jobs in FF14 is whether they make heavy use of cast times. All other jobs ultimately just feel like different algorithms applied to series of button presses.

FF14 needs to bring back Ninja as tank with Utsusemi

While I never played end-game FF11 myself, my friend did, so I learned that apparently it was a meta to always have Ninja as a subclass so you could use Utsusemi to tank.

yea Ninja was really unique and cool in 11, I like 14's a lot but nothing really ever felt like using an army of shadow clones to soak damage and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm so close to getting all of my crafters to 90. I have three of them there (BSM, which I did before committing significant time to the others, WVR, and GSM), ALC and ARM are at 89, the others are at 85.