Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Trabisnikof posted:

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1486860015067566083?s=20&t=q8KGU-MEYJ7KIOOHmuSVdQ

And yet to me, it seems easily possible to imagine a future where we don’t just muddle along with business-as-usual, but in which we do address the threat of climate change with only mild disruptions of our current way of life. The biggest reason is the advance of technology. Renewable energy, energy storage, electric vehicles, and other green technologies have gotten so good, and so cheap, so quickly, that the economic incentives now favor decarbonization.

And this is not just theory. Recent data revisions from the Global Carbon Project show that total annual global carbon emissions — including from both fossil fuel use and land use changes — were approximately flat between 2011 and 2021:

Global annual emissions from electric power alone, meanwhile, peaked in 2018.

Now, annual emissions represent the total amount of carbon we add to the atmosphere each year, so the carbon in the air is still going up (and there’s also methane to think about). But the fact that a decade of rapid global economic growth wasn’t accompanied by any increase in global carbon emissions is a very good sign; as technology continues to improve, we should start to see big drops in annual emissions.

Now, technological improvement by itself is probably not enough to avert extreme outcomes from warming. But concerted government policy — by democratically elected governments in capitalist countries — can make a really big difference. The UK passed a climate change bill in 2008 that created a legally binding emissions target. As a result, the country began a rapid and sustained switch from fossil fuels to renewable power:
Now, that doesn’t mean everything’s fine and we can go back to sleep and muddle through with business as usual. These small-looking numbers conceal big differences — the effects of just 2ºC of warming are pretty dramatic, and 2.5ºC probably falls within the range of what we could reasonably label “global catastrophe”. So no matter what, Earth is in for a bumpy ride this century, and if we drop the ball on policy, some of the very dramatic scenarios could still manifest, technological progress or no.

But this doesn’t mean that climate change will force us to reorganize either society or our economy in radical or unprecedented ways. The UK’s experience shows that we can keep our social-democratic capitalist mixed economies and our modern democratic governments (or in China’s case, its modern autocratic government) and still do what’s necessary to avoid catastrophe by 2070 or so.
And by the same token, it would be premature for us to abandon the impulse toward positive social transformation. The Climate Left may have no chance of ending capitalism, but they’ve inspired lots of center-left businesspeople, scientists, and policymakers to take climate change more seriously — which, ultimately, is what will contain climate change’s effects. And there are plenty of other problems in our society that will need big pushes in order to fix — our broken health care system, our ruinously high construction costs, and so on.

So while I want to reassure you, I only want to reassure you a little bit. America’s great strength is that we freak out about everything, thus bestirring ourselves to early action when other countries might have let problems fester too long. If all goes well, 20 years from now we’ll look back on the 2020s as when society started to become sane again and we started to rebuild after a decade of chaos and rage. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

quote:

but they’ve inspired lots of center-left businesspeople, scientists, and policymakers to take climate change more seriously — which, ultimately, is what will contain climate change’s effects.

phew, well I feel better

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Trabisnikof posted:

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1486860015067566083?s=20&t=q8KGU-MEYJ7KIOOHmuSVdQ

And yet to me, it seems easily possible to imagine a future where we don’t just muddle along with business-as-usual, but in which we do address the threat of climate change with only mild disruptions of our current way of life. The biggest reason is the advance of technology. Renewable energy, energy storage, electric vehicles, and other green technologies have gotten so good, and so cheap, so quickly, that the economic incentives now favor decarbonization.

And this is not just theory. Recent data revisions from the Global Carbon Project show that total annual global carbon emissions — including from both fossil fuel use and land use changes — were approximately flat between 2011 and 2021:

Global annual emissions from electric power alone, meanwhile, peaked in 2018.

Now, annual emissions represent the total amount of carbon we add to the atmosphere each year, so the carbon in the air is still going up (and there’s also methane to think about). But the fact that a decade of rapid global economic growth wasn’t accompanied by any increase in global carbon emissions is a very good sign; as technology continues to improve, we should start to see big drops in annual emissions.

Now, technological improvement by itself is probably not enough to avert extreme outcomes from warming. But concerted government policy — by democratically elected governments in capitalist countries — can make a really big difference. The UK passed a climate change bill in 2008 that created a legally binding emissions target. As a result, the country began a rapid and sustained switch from fossil fuels to renewable power:
Now, that doesn’t mean everything’s fine and we can go back to sleep and muddle through with business as usual. These small-looking numbers conceal big differences — the effects of just 2ºC of warming are pretty dramatic, and 2.5ºC probably falls within the range of what we could reasonably label “global catastrophe”. So no matter what, Earth is in for a bumpy ride this century, and if we drop the ball on policy, some of the very dramatic scenarios could still manifest, technological progress or no.

But this doesn’t mean that climate change will force us to reorganize either society or our economy in radical or unprecedented ways. The UK’s experience shows that we can keep our social-democratic capitalist mixed economies and our modern democratic governments (or in China’s case, its modern autocratic government) and still do what’s necessary to avoid catastrophe by 2070 or so.
And by the same token, it would be premature for us to abandon the impulse toward positive social transformation. The Climate Left may have no chance of ending capitalism, but they’ve inspired lots of center-left businesspeople, scientists, and policymakers to take climate change more seriously — which, ultimately, is what will contain climate change’s effects. And there are plenty of other problems in our society that will need big pushes in order to fix — our broken health care system, our ruinously high construction costs, and so on.

So while I want to reassure you, I only want to reassure you a little bit. America’s great strength is that we freak out about everything, thus bestirring ourselves to early action when other countries might have let problems fester too long. If all goes well, 20 years from now we’ll look back on the 2020s as when society started to become sane again and we started to rebuild after a decade of chaos and rage. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

sure, but can we still mine bitcoin?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
2000 dead Americans every day from covid.

Yes Americans freak out about everything lol

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What drugs are these people on that they think society will become more sane? Can I have some?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
imagine how much pollution you have to breathe every day to think the center will save anything lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Source4Leko posted:

What drugs are these people on that they think society will become more sane? Can I have some?

Massive amounts of copium. Everything will be fine. Everything will work out. It's important to keep saying this forever because even if you're wrong, admitting that you're wrong means that things aren't normal right now. Better to pretend that things are fine so that you can enjoy your normalcy right up until the second everything collapses.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Started reading that as opium for a second and was really interested

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Opium doesn't seem powerful enough.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Copium is a far more potent hallucinogen.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
take every hallucinogenic drug you can find

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
with copium literally anything is possible, all you have to do is decide that you believe it

no this isn't how insane people operate, why would you ask that

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Who the gently caress is this conjecturous clown fart?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The world definitely has not been radically transformed since the 70s lol. I bet if you displaced someone 50 years ahead through time they wouldn't even notice a difference! Well, thanks for your take, frog in a pot

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

dude should have been called dom, because it aint noah-pinion

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rectal Death Adept posted:

figures Biden's main priority with the environment would be to replace old forests with young ones

lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
That's the guy who was the spokesman for prostasia lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1486863953074393088

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

"...I've ever seen" doesn't seem like a real good basis for such a declaration but I'll allow it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
and the euro model:

https://twitter.com/weather_west/status/1486870917430927363?s=21

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

figures Biden's main priority with the environment would be to replace old forests with young ones

lmao

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Infrastructure week is back baby

NPR: A bridge in Pittsburgh collapsed on the day of Biden's planned infrastructure visit.
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076343656/pittsburgh-bridge-collapse-biden-visit

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

av/post :rubby:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Basic Poster posted:

NPR: A bridge in Pittsburgh collapsed on the day of Biden's planned infrastructure visit.
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076343656/pittsburgh-bridge-collapse-biden-visit

and if you haven't, the tweets are amazing: back in 2018 a guy drew the city's (who responded!) attention to the fact that this very bridge had a completely rusted through support

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
In the city's defense every bridge everywhere is rusted through as all infrastructure everywhere is crumbling so ignoring 1,000 bridges and having 1 collapse is just a 0.1% failure rate. Pretty good if you ask me

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:yeshaha:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

FALSE FLAG

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

quote:

Biden made a stop at the collapse site Friday afternoon. "I've been coming to Pittsburgh a long time," he said of the city with 446 bridges. "And we're going to fix them all," he said.

Biden put his hand on the shoulder of a police officer and said "these guys deserve an incredible amount of credit."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
too much rain, not enough rain

make up your mind liberals

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
biosphere collapse: Daniel, what about Euro model? This outlook is depressing

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The cops knocked the bridge down?!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Lol WTF I like cops now ?!? :dafuq:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

in a way, yes.
https://twitter.com/226669ha/status/1487076819731890176
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/le...it-reveals.html

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Basic Poster posted:

Lol WTF I like cops now ?!? :dafuq:

whoa now, lets not say anything we can't take back

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

The Protagonist posted:

whoa now, lets not say anything we can't take back

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20&t=fcW7x4O5dRzqvm-iSXceKw

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

lmfao the hits never stop in this demon cracker nation huh

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
lol holy loving shiiiit

i ride around on really tall winding overpasses around the sf bay area a lot of at work

it's only a loving matter of time before one of those just collapses down on top of a highway they're going over and violently stops traffic in multiple directions

sometimes i wonder if today's the day i see some poo poo go down

good thing i have today and tomorrow off work! :yaycat: i hope sunday's not the day! :rubby:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

reminded that an optimal strategy in iirc the original version of SimCity was to cut all funding for roads and bridges, let every bridge in the city collapse, build nothing but subways, and essentially pedestrianise the whole city

anyway, Pittsburgh doesn't have a subway, so it's basically hosed itself over from the outset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Alobar posted:

lol holy loving shiiiit

dude, that car is upside down on the ground, not the bridge.

the bridge was literally pulled out from under it like the worlds biggest tablecloth pulling trick, badass