Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Saros posted:

As opposed to what, an underground tunnel?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

at least in a tunnel rocks fall and you die. in a suspended monorail you'll fall.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

And pedestrians. Also cut all of the at-grade crossings. Hope you weren't expecting any deliveries

deprioritising cars means that there'll be no capacity left for these things lol!

Progressive JPEG posted:

Hear me out, but what if there was some kind of... third dimension... where we could put our trains so that they don't have to be so tiny and useless? (text me)

is there any additional cost associated with putting things in this "third dimension"? is it as easy to get into and out of stations compared to if they were on the surface? some basic questions we might ask

i dunno man, between all this and you thinking that light rail is just "busses for white people" it's almost like you're a moron who doesn't know anything about the subject

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

at least in a tunnel rocks fall and you die. in a suspended monorail you'll fall.

tbh i wasn't even thinking about death scenarios, but just swinging around in that thing i'd literally poo poo myself

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i have lost my rag over public transit and for that i apologize

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, you could say anything instead of just scoffing?

Ok fine: this project is a gigantic waste of time and money and exists only to square the circle between the need to look like they're Doing Something and the need to give construction firms money. It will achieve nothing for the material conditions of anyone who matters (so non-landlords), it will also defer actually fixing Auckland's transport system even further.

More anecdotally: light rail is notorious as a stereotypical idiotic public works project that achieves nothing. I would be interested to read about any successful examples of light rail outside of china, who don't count because they actually want to do things, to compare this cluster gently caress to. If you've got em bust em out.

bobbilljim posted:

I was more talking about this, the train thing is whatever

Right I see, same answer anyway.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bike tory posted:

:hmmyes: ban private vehicles

continuing on the dumbest and most privileged opinion i see

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bike tory posted:

:hmmyes: ban private vehicles

but how will this go down in The Regions?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.greaterauckland.org.nz/2016/08/10/lrt-the-seattle-example/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tunnelled.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

redleader posted:

but how will this go down in The Regions?

Who knows/who cares, they wouldn't be able to get to Wellington or Auckland without their cars anyway.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

quote:

The route is a mix of grade separated right of way with a mix of tunnels and bridges, median running and in the city centre it shares one tunnel with buses. Below is an image from Streetview showing Martin Luther King Jr Way which a 6.2km long section of median running and is similar to what we can expect along Dominion Rd. As you can see it is not mixed with traffic and the rail is separated from the road by a small kerb. Access across the tracks at intersections is controlled by lights.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

From right at the end:

quote:

For me the key is not the name of the mode but how it’s designed. The pressure that needs to be applied to Auckland Transport, the council and the government is to provide the funding needed as soon as possible and to ensure that it’s implemented to the level advertised in the video above (or better). Light or heavy, it’s still rail to the airport.

Excellent.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

continuing on the dumbest and most privileged opinion i see

Mate you're the one who aligns with Simeon Brown on this issue so I'm not sure you're in any position to criticise.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Full business case is online now btw

https://www.lightrail.co.nz/media/5n4pkk5b/alr-indicative-business-case_web-copy.pdf

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I was hoping for a Dom Rd route personally but hey it's rail to the Airport just like a real city should have so better decades late than never. Does it say exactly where the tunnel will end?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

bike tory posted:

Who knows/who cares, they wouldn't be able to get to Wellington or Auckland without their cars anyway.

typical big city snob. only interested in sipping lattes in their office job working in finance. totally disconnected; no idea of how real new zealand feels about things

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bike tory posted:

Mate you're the one who aligns with Simeon Brown on this issue so I'm not sure you're in any position to criticise.

You’ve already been warned in this thread for doing this poo poo

There’s a lot of people in this country who need access to private vehicles, not everyone lives in a city.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You’ve already been warned in this thread for doing this poo poo

There’s a lot of people in this country who need access to private vehicles, not everyone lives in a city.

My dude, you never, ever pose a positive statement or suggestion in this thread beyond "I would simply house everyone :smuggo:". Case in point is your response to this transport plan, when one of the actual purposes of this plan is to allow significant densification and provide for like 50000 more homes.

Meanwhile you respond to anyone who actually engages in critical discussion of govt policy with one line "lol check out this neolib" style responses.

So why would I bother engaging with you? It isn't my fault if you cant imagine a situation beyond every family privately owning 2.5 cars, and I'm not going to waste the time elaborating for you because you never have anything of value to offer.

My response to redleader was obviously flippant and not a serious reply.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

there's like 10+ cars parked up to protest china or some poo poo. wtf lol this is a small of 15k

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

moving back here i had to start driving again because there is no public transport

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
tunnels are pretty earthquake-safe

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://endccp.com/

this looks like the group. try to read some of the poo poo on that site i dare you

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is it Falun Gong?

Lol yep.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CODChimera posted:

moving back here i had to start driving again because there is no public transport

Wow how could you, why didn’t you just wait 10-1000 years for Jacinda to make some railway lines in Auckland?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Why are we even talking about rail. It will sadly end up like every other attempt by Labour to do something not terrible. Bitched about by right wing opinion pieces before being quietly dropped when the news is focused on something else.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
falun gong is an insane far right, anti-gay, anti-'race mixing' cult and it's wild that anything they claim gets taken seriously.

like, here's their official newspaper publishing trevor loudon 2 weeks after the mosque attacks, claiming that the shooter was actually left wing
https://www.theepochtimes.com/brenton-tarrant-is-the-christchurch-mosque-shooter-a-national-bolshevik_2850960.html

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

As a weirdo cult they're on the wrong side of the Chinese government so they're quite happy to sometimes accurately criticize them, which anti-Chinese factions like.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bike tory posted:

excuse me, please do not tell people which politician shares their viewpoint in this thread about politics.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

victorious posted:

Does it say exactly where the tunnel will end?

Haha. They're nowhere near that level of detailed design yet. Not even close.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/realrogerboyce/status/1486896291745779713

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i can't believe that i have to pay for a school in invercargill

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
You can actually disincentivize car ownership in the city without outright banning it through having good transport links. Some central city light rail is a great start, link it to a normal rail backbone and you're well on your way. Last piece of the puzzle is to make it cheap.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Yep, and in the city centre it's tunnelled. Pretty closely aligned with the auckland plan, gonna assume they used it as a model

Fastest way to get from seatac to uw

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

lmao what in the world

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

lmao what in the world

Apparently you're not meant to help posters to improve their opinions by pointing out which lovely politicians they're currently aligned with.

So I won't compare people to Simeon Brown anymore. I'm sure BARONS simply forgot that affordable housing needs good public transport links. Hopefully just a rare misstep for him.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

bike tory posted:

Apparently you're not meant to help posters to improve their opinions by pointing out which lovely politicians they're currently aligned with.

So I won't compare people to Simeon Brown anymore. I'm sure BARONS simply forgot that affordable housing needs good public transport links. Hopefully just a rare misstep for him.

Which politician would you say Simeon Brown is most like, if not Simeon Brown?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

discussion of nz politics? in the nz politics thread? well i never

(does it make sense to move thread somewhere else? d&d sucks anyway imo)

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

discussion of nz politics? in the nz politics thread? well i never

(does it make sense to move thread somewhere else? d&d sucks anyway imo)

If there's demand for it I would be perfectly willing to move the NZ thread to the hangout forum, or make it a demilitarized hangout with looser enforcement of rules here in D&D, like the Canada thread. Bike tory also was not probated for discussing NZ politics, which is obviously encouraged, but for doing guilt by association rather than addressing someone's argument directly. I was not the only one who found this objectionable, as I only found the post due to it being reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Koos Group posted:

If there's demand for it I would be perfectly willing to move the NZ thread to the hangout forum, or make it a demilitarized hangout with looser enforcement of rules here in D&D, like the Canada thread. Bike tory also was not probated for discussing NZ politics, which is obviously encouraged, but for doing guilt by association rather than addressing someone's argument directly. I was not the only one who found this objectionable, as I only found the post due to it being reported.

Yeah that's the thing - aside from the exact probe reason the thread itself is 70% social, 10% doom posting, 20% politics. So in that context it's weird to have a mod hop in because a formal debate rule wasn't being followed.

I think the actual probe reason is secondary to that but I interpreted the post as referencing a page or two back when NZ MP Simeon Brown got himself photoshopped in front of a filthy bus station to say that Auckland needs more congested roads