Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden had a presser about the Supreme Court and a bunch of smaller Court news happened:

- Biden officially confirms (instead of through a spokesperson) that it will be a black woman.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1486768719867039747

more representation is good, but this reminds me of the trend where large corporations start falling apart and they'll bring in a female poc to be ceo in a historic first, but it's only after it's clear that the wheels have completely fallen off. women of color can only have positions of power after it's clear the position is actually meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's called the glass cliff

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VideoGameVet posted:

It was so vastly superior to the mid-70's crap that was out there. 5 speed manual. Great handling etc.

My parents were so happy that I recommended this.

Could've have a 75 Monte Carlo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This article goes into a lot more detail about what his bill includes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Could've have a 75 Monte Carlo.

love 2 have a crumple zone that crumples all impact energy directly into my skull and chest

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

mawarannahr posted:

On a related note here’s an interesting article with interviews of several abolitionists, some recently elected to local offices, regarding the movement and its future:

https://inthesetimes.com/article/future-of-defund-the-police-movement-minneapolis-abolitionists

Ehhhhh...... I wouldn't call those who were supportive of Minneapolis ballot question #2 abolitionists*. Unless you call getting rid of a requirement of MPD, but MPD still existing under another umbrella, an abolitionist.

Hell, if you listen to the first city council meeting of the year with Councilmember Wonsley Worlobah and the other councilmembers who supported ballot question #2, you'd think they were pro-police. I say this based on how they were talking about how police favor the wealthy neighborhoods and are more absent in poor neighborhoods. Which insinuates that they have a use and should still exist.

*I did vote yes on #2 and definitely do not consider myself an abolitionist

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 28, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

love 2 have a crumple zone that crumples all impact energy directly into my skull and chest

Yeah people think those old giant cars would protect you instead of the new "plastic crap".

Click here to watch a 2009 Malibu absolutely obliterate a Bel Air

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah people think those old giant cars would protect you instead of the new "plastic crap".

THERE'S the video I was hunting around for lol, thank you

The way that every single joule of energy is directed straight from the impact site to the spinal column of the dummy is just incredible

For reference 1:56 is the relevant part

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Epic High Five posted:

The way that every single joule of energy is directed straight from the impact site to the spinal column of the dummy is just incredible

The tests that were using cars before the modern airbag system almost feels like cheating. It is amazing how horrific the crashes without the modern steering column bags look on the dummy's neck and back.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Epic High Five posted:

That would be the Honda.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jaxyon posted:

Why don't you watch a full size 1971 Ford vs a compact 1971 Ford?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9GIzaXxk0

The compact doesn't make it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Epic High Five posted:

Keep in mind things like seatbelts, padded dashes, and collapsible steering columns became mandatory in the 1960s.

A 58 might as well be a Model T for all the crash protection that was designed into it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Why don't you watch a full size 1971 Ford vs a compact 1971 Ford?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9GIzaXxk0

The compact doesn't make it.

I feel like you're arguing something entirely separate from what anybody else here is arguing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you prefer the aesthetics or whatever of 60 year old cars, okay fine who cares. But they definitely were not safer and there doesn't exist any metric which evidences that.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Jaxyon posted:

Honestly as an engineer I question what I'm supposed to take away from this. Would be useful to compare how they fair in a crash with other cars from the same era. There will still definitely be differences, but I'm betting it's as much due to just putting more steel in the body than due to smarter design.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like you're arguing something entirely separate from what anybody else here is arguing

Initially I was arguing that the 1975 Honda, while being 1500 lbs lighter than the 2022, was a death trap. The reply I received was that the 75 Honda was better than the contemporary cars available. I responded, somewhat jokingly, that a 75 Malibu would have been a better choice in 75.

Then someone posted the Bel Air vs Malibu video that people like the post because they think it's the end all be all of the argument about the evolution of car safety, and I said a better comparison would be a full size 70s car versus a compact 70s car as that what was originally being discussed.

Really, the insurance company's video is trotted out as some kind of own on Boomers or people who like old cars rather than any good faith discussion of the relative merits of car safety over the years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Initially I was arguing that the 1975 Honda, while being 1500 lbs lighter than the 2022, was a death trap. The reply I received was that the 75 Honda was better than the contemporary cars available. I responded, somewhat jokingly, that a 75 Malibu would have been a better choice in 75.

Then someone posted the Bel Air vs Malibu video that people like the post because they think it's the end all be all of the argument about the evolution of car safety, and I said a better comparison would be a full size 70s car versus a compact 70s car as that what was originally being discussed.

Really, the insurance company's video is trotted out as some kind of own on Boomers or people who like old cars rather than any good faith discussion of the relative merits of car safety over the years.

Oh yeah, I brought up the weight thing initially so let me clarify - I don't think weight in the historical sense is a really good predictor even if it is a pretty good one now (EV versus ICE), it's about how cars themselves are designed. My very first car was a Mercury Sable weighing in at about twice as heavy as my current Ford Focus, but were I to get into a head on collision I'm way more likely to survive with my current car.

This is, of course, ignoring the fact that the average car I may collide with nowadays is 3x heavier than back then. However the overall point that cars nowadays are way safer than cars from back then is one I'd struggle to believe is false even if the only evidence was the natural progression of design

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PeterCat posted:

"someone" you replied directly to me.

Yes I posted it because it's a cool video.

But I'll grant you that given two War Wagons with two identical Furiosas and and equal complement of War Boys and rusty spikes, I'll take the one that is slightly larger and heavier.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I felt so bad for the test dummy in the red Rover 100 whose head COMPLETELY missed the airbag and went directly into the side dashboard. Like it inflated too late to cushion the impact, but juuuust late enough to guide the driver's head into the absolute worst possible spot that it could go in an accident. Holy gently caress.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Property crimes aren't increasing but that's a large part of what is being focused on.

Eh.

Anecdotally I can tell you retail theft is way up (in Seattle at least) but is actively being repressed by the police. They don't take emergency calls for petty shoplift. So you're supposed to call the non-emergency number. But a few weeks ago they took it offline and told you to fill out a police report online instead. So you go to do that, and you literally can't because answering their three page questionnaire always comes back with some broken red text that tells you to call the police instead. I talked to somebody in the know here and they told me it was an attempt to deliberately hide how much theft is happening.

Which is whatever by me. I think these are desperate people who are increasingly desperate between COVID and the continuing housing crisis, so I don't really want the cops to show up anyway. But I am supposed to report it for paperwork reasons and I can't even do that.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

more unpleasant than fentanyl or nitrogen, the French at the time just didn't have easy cheap access to ridiculous quantities of either
I mean, to be fair, the guy who was a proponent of using it (Dr. Joseph Guillotin), wanted it to be used in lieu of other execution methods at the time because it was considered more humane :v:

That too, yeah.
vvvv

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 28, 2022

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Abner Assington posted:

I mean, to be fair, the guy who was a proponent of using it (Dr. Joseph Guillotin), wanted it to be used in lieu of other execution methods at the time because it was considered more humane :v:

Well, also mainly that it would be the same punishment for everyone, rather than the quick and (theoretically) painless method of beheading being reserved only for nobility.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mendrian posted:

Eh.

Anecdotally I can tell you retail theft is way up (in Seattle at least) but is actively being repressed by the police. They don't take emergency calls for petty shoplift. So you're supposed to call the non-emergency number. But a few weeks ago they took it offline and told you to fill out a police report online instead. So you go to do that, and you literally can't because answering their three page questionnaire always comes back with some broken red text that tells you to call the police instead. I talked to somebody in the know here and they told me it was an attempt to deliberately hide how much theft is happening.

Which is whatever by me. I think these are desperate people who are increasingly desperate between COVID and the continuing housing crisis, so I don't really want the cops to show up anyway. But I am supposed to report it for paperwork reasons and I can't even do that.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-12-15/organized-retail-theft-crime-rate
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/america-having-violence-wave-not-crime-wave/620234/

Seattle PD is currently in year 11 of what was supposed to be a 5 year federal oversight. Anyone you know at Seattle PD is most likely a bad person working with bad people.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-12-15/organized-retail-theft-crime-rate
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/america-having-violence-wave-not-crime-wave/620234/

Seattle PD is currently in year 11 of what was supposed to be a 5 year federal oversight. Anyone you know at Seattle PD is most likely a bad person working with bad people.

No, I know somebody who has to work with them and yes, I'm aware they're bad, no argument from me.

In terms of crime statistics, again, I'm not a statistician but there are more thefts happening now in my place of work than there has been in five years. I can look at numbers and they tell me this. I don't expect some random person on the internet to believe me about that because I can't share internal data but it is true. Whether it is isolated and not representative of a broader trend is an open question and I am not making the claim that it does.

I think it may be worth examining that mainstream crime data is mostly compiled from a.) companies citing damages and b.) cops and you shouldn't trust those either.

EDIT: And the important thing is that even if there is some kind of theft crime wave (again I'm not claiming there is) it should be an argument in favor of social safety net and not in favor of higher rates of policing.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 28, 2022

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

more representation is good, but this reminds me of the trend where large corporations start falling apart and they'll bring in a female poc to be ceo in a historic first, but it's only after it's clear that the wheels have completely fallen off. women of color can only have positions of power after it's clear the position is actually meaningless

What does more representation even mean in this case? Are these women who are being considered actually meaningfully different from other judges, or is this being assumed because of their race and gender?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jizz Festival posted:

What does more representation even mean in this case? Are these women who are being considered actually meaningfully different from other judges, or is this being assumed because of their race and gender?

I mean, on paper the hope is that their unique perspectives as black women will inform their votes on the court. Will their votes, opinions, dissents, etc, be meaningfully different from those of Kagan and Sotomayor? I'm guessing no. It's still nice for black women to finally see someone on SCOTUS who looks like them and has probably shared at least some of their experiences with racial inequities. But no, in terms of jurisprudence, I don't expect very many surprises from whoever gets confirmed. That's just what I've gleaned from their careers as judges, though, so someone might have better insight than I do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Majorian posted:

I mean, on paper the hope is that their unique perspectives as black women will inform their votes on the court. Will their votes, opinions, dissents, etc, be meaningfully different from those of Kagan and Sotomayor? I'm guessing no. It's still nice for black women to finally see someone on SCOTUS who looks like them and has probably shared at least some of their experiences with racial inequities. But no, in terms of jurisprudence, I don't expect very many surprises from whoever gets confirmed. That's just what I've gleaned from their careers as judges, though, so someone might have better insight than I do.

This is the result of a strain of idpol logic that unfortunately boils down to judging people by base factors and assuming they will act according to the stereotypes that are assigned to them, assuming that supposed broad trends will apply in very individual cases and also ignoring extremely large material factors like how people even get into the position to be chosen for these things.

That is to say: Patronising tokenism, but woke, and also comically stupid. Candace Owens? Diamond and Silk? Ben Carson?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is the result of a strain of idpol logic that unfortunately boils down to judging people by base factors and assuming they will act according to the stereotypes that are assigned to them, assuming that supposed broad trends will apply in very individual cases and also ignoring extremely large material factors like how people even get into the position to be chosen for these things.

That is to say: Patronising tokenism, but woke, and also comically stupid. Candace Owens? Diamond and Silk? Ben Carson?

Yeah, it brings to mind a particularly cringe-worthy Bill Maher clip where he wondered why Obama wasn’t acting like a “real black President.” Shockingly, as it turns out, Obama governed as an Ivy League establishment Dem who didn’t want to rock the boat too much on racial justice issues. Who could have seen that coming?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The following statement is relative to the facts that many crime statistics has been falling for decades despite wealth disparity increasing, inflation accelerating faster than wages, opioid addiction increasing and population increasing. Then, of course, the uptick in far-right movements often ignored by the police, the police (including federal) response to mass protests like the Women's March, BLM and etc. Then the pandemic happening and the government's inadequate response to that plus the pandemic causing many social issues to worsen it's own. Also relative to ever-increasing police militarization, hyper-vigilance, cult-like behavior of forces, lack of consequences for police/outright legal protection when they do wrong, massive police funding increases, debunked criminological theories still in use- none of which has resulted in much of that decrease in crime. Relative to elite panic where it is better to have goods covered by insurance sacrificed in natural disasters rather than be used by people for free. Also relative the horrific carceral state we have got going on:

We were due for an uptick.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 28, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And despite that uptick, physical theft is still heavily outclassed by wage theft. But while hundreds of outlets will report on a single Walgreens allegedly closing down because of shoplifters, good luck getting mass media coverage on wage theft unless there's an instance of something horrifically beyond the pale.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

And despite that uptick, physical theft is still heavily outclassed by wage theft. But while hundreds of outlets will report on a single Walgreens allegedly closing down because of shoplifters, good luck getting mass media coverage on wage theft unless there's an instance of something horrifically beyond the pale.

If wage theft was performed by breaking into the homes of employees this wouldn't be the case. I get what you're saying but you can't expect people to perceive physical thefts and the fudging of numbers or whatever as the same thing.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
yea sure white collar crime happens mostly on the balance sheet or by controlling the paper money (occasionally by hiding assets, perhaps in trucks, and driving them around to increase the value) and dividing it illegally so it doesn't make for compelling, hard-hitting news as the thrust of a new crime wave committed by a class of ultra predators, spawn of the super predators. But it still hurts more and worse.

One important difference is that the stores expect some degree of breakage and are insured against that, just obviously not to the scale of being cleaned out. Also obviously insurance companies will try to screw them out of collecting. If one location/franchise goes down because their premiums kept increasing to the point they were uninsurable and were taking huge losses restocking then that means some people lose jobs and the franchisee takes a bath on it, which does suck for them.

Employees don't have insurance against wage theft.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, from crime stats, we know that retail theft is way up in certain places - SF, Seattle, Chicago, etc - but, hasn't changed much nationally. That's potentially a big issue for those areas, but extrapolating it to being "everywhere" isn't accurate.

The massive surge in shootings, murders, carjackings, and assaults is huge and everywhere, though.

Property crime overall hasn't changed much.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Jizz Festival posted:

If wage theft was performed by breaking into the homes of employees this wouldn't be the case. I get what you're saying but you can't expect people to perceive physical thefts and the fudging of numbers or whatever as the same thing.

Plus, wage theft only affects poors, not anything important like property.

I like how people act like this is a new phenomenon, as if police were out there chasing down shoplifters at any point in history. It always reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CynvMlFyo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno anyone who has been the victim of wage theft probably cares a lot about it and could be pretty passionate about anyone talking or trying to do anything about it or even just saying "all those people are out to screw you. Give me power and I'll hurt your enemies". They don't have a voice in our media or representation in our government though so apathy and resignation ahoy I guess. Until a populist taps in to that anger and leads the entire country around by the nose. Incidentally I've been in a coma from 2016 to 2020 what happened? Did Bernie win?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dubar posted:

Plus, wage theft only affects poors, not anything important like property.

Physical theft is more disturbing because it reminds people that there may be others around them willing to break into their home to steal stuff, which I can assure you is not just something that rich people worry about. The wage thief is more contained, only something to be wary of when looking over your paychecks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

Physical theft is more disturbing because it reminds people that there may be others around them willing to break into their home to steal stuff, which I can assure you is not just something that rich people worry about. The wage thief is more contained, only something to be wary of when looking over your paychecks.

Good point, humans are pretty bad at evaluating threats. Lots of people fear and worry about the less common but more viscerally scary threat while normalizing the more common and damaging threat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao that f35 that crashed fell into the South China Sea so now we have to go dredge it up to keep the Chinese from getting it and learning how to not fly past the international date line.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1487050532766236682?s=21

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Interesting how "shoplifting" (putting condoms in your pocket and walking out without paying) has morphed into violently "breaking and entering" to justify a focus on it all out of proportion to the actual scale of thefts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Interesting how "shoplifting" (putting condoms in your pocket and walking out without paying) has morphed into violently "breaking and entering" to justify a focus on it all out of proportion to the actual scale of thefts

Trying to explain something is not the same as justifying it. Do you think it's suspicious that somebody would try to understand something without rushing to declare who's bad and who's good?