Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
the compounding toll of psychic damage that everyone has been, is now, and for the foreseeable future, will be taking daily has to manifest somehow. if we, the most covid conscious people, the mf secure clique, are starting to flag, then i can only imagine what is going on in the minds of other people.

i don't ask for much
truth be told, id settle for a life less frightening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Covok posted:

What is the current WHO excess death estimate for 2020 and 2021 in America?

too much

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

I KNEW IT. I KNEW WE WERE AT ONE MILLION.

and this is only covids second form. we still have two major transformations and a minor power boost yet to come

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

nexous posted:

I hate this poo poo way more than antivaxxers

Pick the money off the floor

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Barry Soteriology posted:

the compounding toll of psychic damage that everyone has been, is now, and for the foreseeable future, will be taking daily has to manifest somehow. if we, the most covid conscious people, the mf secure clique, are starting to flag, then i can only imagine what is going on in the minds of other people.

i don't ask for much

it’s like being stranded at sea and watching one by one as people succumb to drinking seawater/jumping in to swim to the mermaids.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

we're so doomed. there isnt a single thing that won't be consumed by the culture war. today its ivy league doctors publishing misinformation to ride it, or Elon Musk tweeting "canadian truckers rule" in implicit support of the sovereign citizen anti-vaxx trucker movement, tomorrow reactionary youtube will start poisoning fresh water supplies with polonium—which has not been proven in peer-reviewed study to be harmful to drink from a tap—to trigger the girl who refused their advances and went on to dye her hair bright orange in college. the internet needs to be eradicated as soon as possible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hashy posted:

we're so doomed. there isnt a single thing that won't be consumed by the culture war. today its ivy league doctors publishing misinformation to political ends and Elon Musk tweeting "canadian truckers rule" in implicit support of the sovereign citizen anti-vaxx trucker movement, tomorrow reactionary youtube will start poisoning fresh water supplies with polonium—which has not been proven in peer-reviewed study to be harmful to drink from a tap—to trigger the girl who refused their advances and went on to dye her hair bright orange in college. the internet needs to be eradicated as soon as possible

and people who use water filters are the real assholes for making me feel weird for drinking from the tap

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Lacrosse posted:

If that's the Ask a Mortician lady, love her channel. Great stuff.

Unfortunately body removal technicians only get paid $40k /yr. Dang.

I think she mentions that in the book, yeah. I'll have to check that out sometime, thanks for the reminder

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao

https://twitter.com/kani_x_/status/1486883438779330560

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

and people who use water filters are the real assholes for making me feel weird for drinking from the tap

I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest my entire life, and I’ve always been lucky enough to have clean water. I just don’t need them? But then I tell the appliance salesmen I don’t need a filter and oh my god, I might as well be requesting the fridge that suffocated Punky Brewster.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

it’s like being stranded at sea and watching one by one as people succumb to drinking seawater/jumping in to swim to the mermaids.

covid thread year six

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

i don't ask for much

Most of the country is not concerned with COVID at all and the only thing going through their mind is half priced apps.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

i don't ask for much

I went to my step-sister's house for the first time in two years to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. That was three days ago. Now I have a cough and I'm wondering when is the best time to take a rapid test.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Zurtilik posted:

Yeah, I'll give it a gander. I was kinda just happy I got the thing done with but the shroud was definitely a bit of sloppy job.

looks good to me overall. mine has like 3 different types of duck tape because I ran out but it’s sealed and good to go. the shroud took the longest. if I have to build another one I might use tape instead for the shroud

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
crazy how over the novel coronavirus covid-19 is

coverid

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

He’s so bad at this, he’s not making sense and yet again he just throws out protecting the vulnerable and never ever mentions what those protocols would be.

Him and Martin Killdork haven’t ever once criticized what’s happening in the US now. They’ve only said a let er rip policy is defaming them and Great Bullshit Declaration (because that’s what they proposed). They’ve not once decried the current policy of throwing critically vulnerable people to the wolves because they’re lying when they say they care and that’s what we should be doing.

Disengenuous piece of poo poo, I hope he gets his eventually and it’s painful.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MicheleFallon7/status/1486534673555767297

https://mobile.twitter.com/MicheleFallon7/status/1427463553225838594

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

idk id go to a ted talk by kittymonkey lady

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Greg Legg posted:

There's nothing wrong with working at the gas station!

I still have 800 posts to catch up on, since my shift ended, but

Op didn't say they was anything wrong. OP just took "working at a gas station" as an indication that the worker is poor. And it is.

OP also suggested that, as hosed up as it is, avoiding poor people is a strategy some wealthy folk employ (generally), and that it is a relativity effective way for a wealthy person to avoid covid.

Because wealthy people have concierge doctors, wfh options, and PTO.

OP also poured themselves as from a wealthy family, but has some awareness of social justice, limited perhaps, but far more than your average wealthy person.

Now, OP doesn't mention that the reason new variants spread so fast is because we're still allowing the jet set to wreck the atmosphere globetrotting.

All wars are class wars, covid is no different.

Also, covid splits the PMC. Professors, teachers, librarians, are now poor, as they don't have WFH options, concierge doctors (though they do enjoy insurance) or adequate PTO. Contrast this with similarly paid computer touchers, who are now quite wealthy.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

this seems like ages ago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1486644912435122176?s=20&t=P957s8ZD3oh0Swc2oZ5E3g

the hot chick has logged on

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chamale posted:

I went to my step-sister's house for the first time in two years to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. That was three days ago. Now I have a cough and I'm wondering when is the best time to take a rapid test.

5 days after exposure. Good luck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

McCracAttack posted:

5 days after exposure. Good luck.

That's what I figured, was wondering if symptoms make a difference or not. Thank you.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mawarannahr posted:

I was thinking a lot about how this poo poo is pretty much the gist of The Enigma of Amigara Fault around Christmas time

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Forseti posted:

I was thinking a lot about how this poo poo is pretty much the gist of The Enigma of Amigara Fault around Christmas time

no, it's Hanging Balloons. don't go outside or they will get ya!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

gently caress him and gently caress those trucker chuds

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Glumwheels posted:

i love eating at Chudtruckers

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
How the gently caress you get out of work and first thing you do is start explaining how mastershakeman had a point?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Glumwheels posted:

this

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Op didn't say they was anything wrong. OP just took "working at a gas station" as an indication that the worker is poor. And it is.

OP also suggested that, as hosed up as it is, avoiding poor people is a strategy some wealthy folk employ (generally), and that it is a relativity effective way for a wealthy person to avoid covid.

OP also poured themselves as from a wealthy family, but has some awareness of social justice, limited perhaps, but far more than your average wealthy person.

Now, OP doesn't mention that the reason new variants spread so fast is because we're still allowing the jet set to wreck the atmosphere globetrotting.

Also, covid splits the PMC. Professors, teachers, librarians, are now poor, as they don't have WFH options, concierge doctors (though they do enjoy insurance) or adequate PTO. Contrast this with similarly paid computer touchers, who are now quite wealthy.

Said OP has also been posting race realism poo poo in these threads for two years and brags about trying to infect his friends

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Covok posted:

What is the current WHO excess death estimate for 2020 and 2021 in America?

So I actually have a spreadsheet that I update every so often to look at this. Last time I did was like November/December 2021 so it doesn't have any of the omicron deaths in there yet (though realistically those won't show up reliably in the excess mortality data till spring, both due to most of those deaths not having occurred yet, and reporting delays)

Anyway here are some interesting plots and tables:

First off, the total excess mortality over the pandemic is over a million people. A lot more of that comes from younger age groups than official "covid death" statistics indicate. And this has been the case, consistently, since the start of the pandemic. Even young adults are being killed as in a war

If you compare these figures to the baseline (pre-covid) mortality, it's clear that there is an across the board relative increase in mortality of 20-30+%, with the largest relative increase in the 25-44 year old demographic. Also interesting is that, if you look at the 85+ age group--who are by far the most vulnerable to covid, with a double digit %CFR--and compare the 2021 to 2020 figures, you begin to see what "herd immunity", "endemicity", and "becoming adapted to the virus" actually entail. the host does not select for a less virulent virus, the virus selects for less vulnerable hosts

If you look at the weekly excess mortality, it's very obvious that these excesses are being driven by covid, since they rise and fall with covid case rates. This is true across all age groups. Notably, the excess deaths in 25-44 year olds seem to have really spiked during the delta wave

Why the excess is so much higher than the official reported numbers, especially in younger people, idk. There are many potential reasons. Maybe younger people are dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke weeks after being discharged and after being "covid free". Maybe they are less likely to die in hospital so attribution is more murky. But the bottom line is there is a significant increase in death across the population, except for the very young. The largest reduction in life expectancy / largest number of living & working years lost, are actually occurring in people in their prime.

Edit: these data are all from CDC excess mortality data at https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm#dashboard. Feel free to export the CSV data and look at it yourselves.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I asked this in CANPOL wrt to the insane trucker thing or this new strain of Canadian conservatism that’s clearly imported from the states:

When people say Boomers are getting radicalized on Facebook, how are they using the platform?

I haven’t used it regularly in years, now just for messenger and to put up photos for family not on insta. If I remember, there is still the wall, status updates, likes and comments. I never got a handle on pages or groups, or how people interact with them, I feel like that there wasn’t much there before?

I take it whatever is going on isn’t like scrolling through the feed on instagram and liking your friends’ photos, where are these Boomers running into insane right wing ideology and the cultural resentments of the petty boug? Just their friends posting it within their social circle of ~150 people?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Uglycat posted:

imagine going to bat for mastershakeman

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CK07 posted:

The actual problem I have around the social isolation is that I am already across the country from 99.9% of the people I care about and - more importantly - trust. I'm queer and so is my community, we know how to openly and honestly negotiate awkward boundaries and take responsibility for the physical and emotional health of our loved ones and community at large.

If I were geographically close to anyone I love other than my partner, I know I could arrange for those outdoor interactions on exactly the schedule I like, and then form a legit pod with my single-mom best friend and her baby who I have spent painfully little time with.

But the (largely straight/cis or heteronormative) friends I have where I am 1) are not trustworthy, not least because we do not have the same standards/expectations around communication 2) don't give enough of a poo poo about me to go out of their way to accommodate my wish not to go to the loving mall or at least not share their mall breath with me and 3) aren't even really worth the risk, even though several of them are really sweet.

Still, drat you, covid, for taking away my thoughtlessly-easy access to people who would play complicated board games with me in a small group for four hours and then gently caress off! That is probably the thing I will miss the most.

That, and buffets - I'm not a full English breakfast every morning guy but I will die a little bit broken if I never get to go to a buffet again. It's not even about stuffing myself silly - if you think about it, buffets are one of the very few cases where a restaurant does provide a significant tangible benefit for customers over just cooking whatever you want at home. You just literally cannot cook so many varieties of fresh* food in your home kitchen in a day and not be dead loving tired, filthy, and not even hungry anymore by the time you're done. (why yes living in collectives would solve this problem, f u capitalism)

Tbh I think the buffet thing might be sadder to me, at least there's still board game arena.

*I an talking about fancy, overpriced, nice buffets, like the Bellagio or Disney World or whatever. Old Country Buffet et al can die and take their e. coli farms with them.

I’m with you for pretty much all this. My wife and I are quarantined up and there’s no one where we live now that’d I’d trust to pod with. My best friend that I went to preschool with lives over 1k miles away and he’s probably the only person we’d pod with. He joined respirator crew pretty recently and is as paranoid as I am about this poo poo. I have some great friends here but I know all of them well enough to know they would spread it to us. There may be a few other people in the same town as my best friend I’d probably have a beer with outside or play some board games in KF94s. They are engaged in some more risk but they are universes above 99% of the rest (no indoor dining).

I miss board game and whiskey nights. I miss family style restaurants more than buffets. Southern family style fried chicken places are the best. I miss frozen margaritas and sushi that isn’t lukewarm.

Everything else is manageable though. We saved all the money we would have normally spent on our small yearly vacation or eating out and got a nice new TV and sound system. Who needs a theater. We did similar things with the rest of the house so that it feels less lovely to be in constantly. If we have to be inside 95% of the time for 5 years, we can probably manage it.

I just don’t know what any sort of goals for the next 5 years look like other than “stay alive.”

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
cheering for covid and bird flu to gently caress and become one

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1486911445723922434?s=20&t=4HIFOWvGkn30-hUouS9kbg

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

covid thread year six

loving poser hasn't been shaving

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Uglycat posted:

(One of the worst posters on the site makes a wrong utterly terrible lovely post that made the equally lovely mods act)

Here's why he's not wrong

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I asked this in CANPOL wrt to the insane trucker thing or this new strain of Canadian conservatism that’s clearly imported from the states:

When people say Boomers are getting radicalized on Facebook, how are they using the platform?

I haven’t used it regularly in years, now just for messenger and to put up photos for family not on insta. If I remember, there is still the wall, status updates, likes and comments. I never got a handle on pages or groups, or how people interact with them, I feel like that there wasn’t much there before?

I take it whatever is going on isn’t like scrolling through the feed on instagram and liking your friends’ photos, where are these Boomers running into insane right wing ideology and the cultural resentments of the petty boug? Just their friends posting it within their social circle of ~150 people?

my dad somehow falls down weird rabbit holes of memes and right wing Christian/military stuff and reposts it constantly. then his boomer friends all like and comment and reshare it.

one time I caught him just staring at a pic of the Kent state gun girl walking on campus with her AR and I asked him what he thought about her (I even used her name) and he's like "oh I don't know who she is I just thought it was a cool picture."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peter Hotep