Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was expecting another word for “diagonal”.

That’s so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m in the loop with this and Juvia’s Palace and the model have been pulling poo poo for some time. I like to buy BIPOC beauty products because uh, duh, but gently caress Juvia’s Palace.

there is no benefit of the doubt for them. They drat well know better, and they’re trying to non-apologize their way out of it, as is their typical MO.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

teen witch posted:

I’m in the loop with this and Juvia’s Palace and the model have been pulling poo poo for some time. I like to buy BIPOC beauty products because uh, duh, but gently caress Juvia’s Palace.

there is no benefit of the doubt for them. They drat well know better, and they’re trying to non-apologize their way out of it, as is their typical MO.

https://twitter.com/moonrach_/status/1484354036530700288?t=vvWqvhvVPly_1THxsH-9sQ&s=19

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
progress has also been slow getting stoners to realize why that's not the coolest word

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

progress has also been slow getting stoners to realize why that's not the coolest word

I've never heard stoners use the slur from the video? I mean I have but not as like part of stoner culture, just random assholes who also smoke.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Wait, what?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Stuff like "eyes on Chinese", etc. in reference to being high has been fairly prevalent since the 2000s, at least. It pops up in hip hop, sometimes.

teen witch posted:

:yeah: It's a disappointment for sure, but I do seem to remember the CEO (or at least the face of the company) having been in some social media mess before. I could be misremembering, but I recall something about, she (a Black woman) was being criticized about not sending PR products to Black influencers, favoring white influencers instead. I think she had a meltdown about it?

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jan 27, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm at work so I haven't watched the video and the only slur I can think of is the g one and so the rest of this conversation has been completely incomprehensible to me since I don't think that was it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I'm at work so I haven't watched the video and the only slur I can think of is the g one and so the rest of this conversation has been completely incomprehensible to me since I don't think that was it.

It was the model saying she wanted her eyes to have a "ch*nky" look.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Jesus, what the gently caress

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

I worked at a dispensary and people used it sometimes asking about effects or whatever. I'd mention why "sleepy" would be a better term, and it was a pretty even 3 way split of 1. Didn't know it meant anything else 2. Didn't know it was the same as the slur or 3. Yes I know it's a slur, don't get offended

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What slur? Stoned? Does it have another meaning?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I worked at a dispensary and people used it sometimes asking about effects or whatever. I'd mention why "sleepy" would be a better term, and it was a pretty even 3 way split of 1. Didn't know it meant anything else 2. Didn't know it was the same as the slur or 3. Yes I know it's a slur, don't get offended

wtf lmao
saying some racist poo poo about your epicanthal folds would not make me think "ah yes it makes your eyes dry/tired"

Also what a cruel world we live in that people don't say the phrase "You're sleepy eyes, man!!!" in the voice of Cappadonna in that one Ghostface Killah song at every possible moment it's relevant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is the most I've been confused in a thread since the last time I forgot I was in the ProcGen one and thought it was posting real reddit comments

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is the most I've been confused in a thread since the last time I forgot I was in the ProcGen one and thought it was posting real reddit comments
:same:

I feel like this is a "only makes sense without additional context if you're in certain circles/live in a certain area" thing because I have even less of an idea what douche wolf is talking about after seeing the explanation.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Cypress Hill, 2010 posted:

Hashish from Iraq
Will make my eyes chinese

Wiz Khalifa, 2018 posted:

Smoke got my eyes looking Korean
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wiz-khalifa-breakfast-club-korean-eyes-lyrics_n_5b51ef6ee4b0de86f48c50a0

This whole rear end song by SNO, 2011 posted:

https://genius.com/Sno-rap-eyes-like-a-chinese-lyrics

And I can find several more examples. It's a thing. :shrug: A real racist thing, but a thing.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jan 28, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So weird. Well, obviously I don't move in the right circles

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Looks like it was a big thing for Cheech and Chong as well, although at least Tommy Chong is part Asian.

Re. the model:

quote:

Carrie attained fame after her appearance in the ninth season of Love & Hip Hop: New York and from her work on MTV's Wild 'N Out. The influencer made headlines in 2016 after getting caught up in a gunfire incident at a T.I. concert, where she was shot in her left leg. The injury took several months to heal.

Her "apology":

quote:

"So I had a makeup gig a while back with @juviasplace. In the video I was describing how I like my eyeliner. I said I like my eyeliner out not up and I used the word c***ky. Apparently, saying c***ky eyes is a racial slur to Asians. I DID NOT KNOW THAT. They can shoot me for being uneducated but I am not a racist. You honestly can say that I did not know after learning so I apologize. I deleted it from my story a short time later because my followers didn't know what tf I was talking about so I said I'll explain today.
I was simply trying to describe a attribute. I think Asia[n]s are beautiful and have beautiful eyes. What we're not gonna do all day today tho is send me death threats, call me scum, racist and be maliciously disrespectful because of a HONEST MISTAKE."

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jan 28, 2022

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I don't really see why "apology" needs to be in quotes if it's so seldom used that some people in this very thread didn't even know it was a thing.

Yes racism is horrible, but did you get fired from your job and publicly shamed for using what you thought was just a technical term (like master/slave pata hdd or database replication targets), or did you just say "oh poo poo my bad i was an idiot" and use better terms?

VVV: true enough, I won't bother saying anything else about it because like i said I'm in no way condoning its use or saying it was ok in any way. Big lol that nobody else in their team bothered to stop the video it before it went out to the world though

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Jan 28, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I don't really see why "apology" needs to be in quotes if it's so seldom used that some people in this very thread didn't even know it was a thing.

Yes racism is horrible, but did you get fired from your job and publicly shamed for using what you thought was just a technical term (like master/slave pata hdd or database replication targets), or did you just say "oh poo poo my bad i was an idiot" and use better terms?

everyone in the thread knew the word they used was a slur, no one doubted that, I didn't understand how it applied to stoner culture (but once it was explained I have heard that). Nobody thought the slut was a technical term, what a weird rear end take.

That said, if she legit didn't know then yeah, changing to not using it is cool and good.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
So how about turning Japanese?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Well, I think so

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

So weird. Well, obviously I don't move in the right circles

I thought I was the only one. For years as a kid/stupid teenager I thought spear-chucker meant a hunter/ancient Greek hero like Hercules (I was huge into Greek mythos and could name off every myth hero and their main monster enemy and what god hated them and why), and beaner meant a pothead, someone who spent all their money at Taco Bell like the various stoners at school. Thank every loving god ever that I never used them as I thought they meant.

Thankfully I realized, as an adult, it would not be a good idea to keep my current reading book in an area where coworkers might find it. Flannery O'Connor has some some amazing American Gothic poo poo, but I am not going to explain anything about her fiction to HR.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Yeah, I think you're confusing two separate chains of conversation here.

The word used ("ch*nk") in the ad, regardless of context, is absolutely a slur, and most younger people (at least in the US) DO know this. The model is 30 and thus is only a couple of years older than me, so I don't buy that she had no idea this was a slur. I mean, Cardi B got in hella trouble for referring to her daughter's eyes as that slur back in...2020. It's very common knowledge that word is a slur.

The thing people in the thread were unaware of, is the concept of referring to someone who is stoned as "looking Chinese/Korean/Asian, etc", which is often referenced in both hip hop and older stoner culture poo poo (again, Cheech and Chong). That is not a slur, per se, but it's clearly still racist...or at the very least, real drat ignorant and insensitive.

Neither of these (c-slur nor "looking Asian") is a "technical term". This isn't an outdated bit of jargon like "master/slave inputs" or whatever...this is a slur that's always been a slur.

Captain Monkey posted:

everyone in the thread knew the word they used was a slur, no one doubted that, I didn't understand how it applied to stoner culture (but once it was explained I have heard that). Nobody thought the slut was a technical term, what a weird rear end take.

That said, if she legit didn't know then yeah, changing to not using it is cool and good.

:yeah:

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Jan 28, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I'm seriously side eyeing their use of the word "tribe" here, especially in an 'apology' for using racist terms.

And are we still doing Phantom Menace merch? Because here's some toothpaste I found at the thrift store a couple months ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Monkey posted:

Nobody thought the slut was a technical term, what a weird rear end take.

Well, that would be a pretty hostile workplace!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'm seriously side eyeing their use of the word "tribe" here, especially in an 'apology' for using racist terms.

And are we still doing Phantom Menace merch? Because here's some toothpaste I found at the thrift store a couple months ago.

wait so is that seriously 20+ year old toothpaste

e; also jar-jar and his big pearly whites is the only one doing a good job advertising

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

wait so is that seriously 20+ year old toothpaste

And from a galaxy far, far away no less

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cowslips Warren posted:

Thankfully I realized, as an adult, it would not be a good idea to keep my current reading book in an area where coworkers might find it. Flannery O'Connor has some some amazing American Gothic poo poo, but I am not going to explain anything about her fiction to HR.

what about the one where the guy steals the ape costume

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I would absolutely buy all of those and place them in my bathroom on a shelf

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I would absolutely buy all of those and place them in my bathroom on a shelf

Tired: Decorative soaps
Wired: Decorative toothpaste

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

galactic bubble mint is my fav

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imagine the story behind this. Some kid (hopefully a kid) bought these and kept them for 20 years. Then when he's, say, 30 he gets rid of them. What changed? It isn't like his mom just carelessly threw them out, someone cared enough about his expired toothpaste collection to donate it to charity.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Marcade posted:

Well, I think so

:golfclap:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mazerunner posted:

e; also jar-jar and his big pearly whites is the only one doing a good job advertising

[IMAGE REDACTED for racisms]

Somebody has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 28, 2022

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, let's get the thread back on track

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Please do not post racist images itt, even if it might be appropriate content

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Read After Burning posted:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wiz-khalifa-breakfast-club-korean-eyes-lyrics_n_5b51ef6ee4b0de86f48c50a0

And I can find several more examples. It's a thing. :shrug: A real racist thing, but a thing.

:psypop: Well, okay then. I guess I missed that stoner memo. Maybe I haven't been a stoner for long enough.

flavor.flv posted:

[IMAGE REDACTED for racisms]

Aw man, what did I miss?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

YeahTubaMike posted:

Aw man, what did I miss?

Old toothpaste tubes with near-golliwog mascot logos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I will not post it again, but I will leave as an exercise to any reader of this post to look up Darlie brand toothpaste's original logo, then come back and look at that jar jar binks toothpaste again