Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Medenmath posted:

I was actually just wondering how her being a cyborg worked, since most of the other characters with cyborg parts have bits that look obviously mechanical.
Well, when it comes down to it, it works "in whatever way serves the gag." There's a short comic where she catches cold later, which really "shouldn't" be possible for a full-conversion cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

And even today you still see occasional smoker mad that they can't stink up any space they want to. :bahgawd:\

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A short stack for another scrambled-brain Thursday.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 12, 1934)

Peanuts (January 30, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater is still chugging along. Let's see how long the stockpile lasts. (August 29, 1938)

Out Our Way (February 21-23, 1938)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Which is a good time to share this one-pager:

I’m really getting vibes of “what if Alita just got job at a bar after being woken up” from Emi.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’m really getting vibes of “what if Alita just got job at a bar after being woken up” from Emi.

Alita held down a job as a piano player at a bar for like, a month before being a protagonist caught up with her.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this mary worth storyline has swung around to kicking rear end, actually. embrace madness

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Well, when it comes down to it, it works "in whatever way serves the gag." There's a short comic where she catches cold later, which really "shouldn't" be possible for a full-conversion cyborg.

Obviously it was a computer virus.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

this mary worth storyline has swung around to kicking rear end, actually. embrace madness

This is where I am. It's stupid as gently caress. It never passes up the chance to do something infuriating. Mary will never give good advice. This is Moy's design. Lean in

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yes...yes...embrace the madness...embrace Wilbur...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BOO

BOOOOOOOOOO

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

this sucks

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Instead of embracing rage, I am going to say this Wallace is absolutely fantastic (although they all are), and I am extra charmed by Wallace's intro

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress this poo poo.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Murdstone posted:

Where there's a Wil-bur...

There's a way-bur...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Murdstone posted:

:sickos:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Let's hope this is the dream.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like Mary Worth's leading me with a carrot on a stick at this point, the carrot being Wilbur facing any kind of consequences for being a piece of poo poo. I presume the best to hope for now is that his brief adventure sobered him up enough to drop the wedding plans but I'm not expecting much. Instead, I'll focus on a comic that's great instead.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Which is a good time to share this one-pager:

Which is an homage to a famous series of kids' books with images of kaiju:

Awesome

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

Also, y'know, HIPAA?

1979 comics

"You know, why are we repeatedly and intentionally leaving an abuse victim alone with an abuser suspected of murdering another woman?"

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

Also, y'know, HIPAA?
The last panel is outside, while the first two were inside. Clearly, Parker didn't go anywhere, these two walked outside before saying that.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

gently caress yeah, Loretta.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 28, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 21-22, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Now I'm reminded of how a couple of years before his death, Rush Limbaugh was still talking about how secondhand smoke was a myth invented by liberals to control and punish people for no reason, and he was convinced that liberals would eventually admit that it was all bogus now that weed is legal.

Rush Limbaugh, who is very dead, and decomposing posted:

I mean, the things that they have done to successfully stigmatize cigarette smoking are all applicable to smoking marijuana. You’ve got to ignore holding it in. These are carcinogens and other things in your lungs.

It’s a genuine conflict that they’re gonna have to come up with some sort of assistance with, and that’s what this secondhand smoke, the new survey, “Hey, guess what? We were wrong. There isn’t anything bad about secondhand smoke.” It’s so easy to see where this is coming from.

Bonus fun: Rush said weed was worse than cigarettes because weed smokers purposely hold in the smoke, unlike cigarette smokers who exhale the smoke as quickly as possible, and also at least cigarettes have a filter, unlike marijuana cigarettes.

Anyway, oh, right, comic strips.

Murdstone posted:

I really want them to call out Wilbur for not getting in contact with them for an entire loving week, and also I want to know how he got brand new clean clothes with no loving money.

I feel like in the later Mandrake strips, Mandrake and Lothar would have come up with a plan for Lothar to pretend to be a dumb racist stereotype to trick the villains, rather than this older Mandrake's plan of using Lothar as bait because he actually is a dumb racist stereotype.

davidspackage posted:

I feel like Mary Worth's leading me with a carrot on a stick at this point, the carrot being Wilbur facing any kind of consequences for being a piece of poo poo. I presume the best to hope for now is that his brief adventure sobered him up enough to drop the wedding plans but I'm not expecting much.

I'm almost positive that if the wedding thing comes up, Wilbur will admit that his experience taught him that he's still really immature and still not ready for marriage. That seems almost like a guarantee. The real question is if Estelle will apologize for rejecting his proposal (bad), or if she'll be disappointed that he doesn't want to get married anymore (also bad).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Why is that kid wearing a T-shirt underwater?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: There is method in MacPherson's madness..., or Blueberry's getting the band back together, or Can YOU guess how Blueberry will make the packing of the bottles quick?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why is that kid wearing a T-shirt underwater?

I assume Holbrrok didn't want to draw her topless but also thought putting her in a shell bra would be weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Has this Mary Worth plot turned stupid as hell? Yes. Has it also been riveting? Yes.
:agreed:

I'm loving it. It kept me speculating about what was going to happen and never disappointed.

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, why is thread #19 off the live forums? I could've sworn I checked it out a couple of weeks ago to look up some of Wilbur's greatest hits but now I get an error message saying I can't access it
That is a very good question. :confused:

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want to know how he got brand new clean clothes with no loving money.
Where there's a Wilbur, there's a way... bur! :razz:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
yelling "EMI.... PUNCH" is a critical part of the Emi Punch experience

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Retail

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 27, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 27, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 27, 1990)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/27/02

Brenda Starr 1/22-24/48

Smokey Stover 11/11/45

Everyday Movies 10/15/34

"But I couldn't rent this apartment -- it has no who's this. You know, one of those things when the bell rings you call through and ask 'Who's this?'"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

I mean, I wasn't expecting lore or anything. :v: I had just remembered it and was thinking it doesn't come up much, and then this happens.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1949)

"Barber, give me a Prince Valiant!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm almost positive that if the wedding thing comes up, Wilbur will admit that his experience taught him that he's still really immature and still not ready for marriage. That seems almost like a guarantee. The real question is if Estelle will apologize for rejecting his proposal (bad), or if she'll be disappointed that he doesn't want to get married anymore (also bad).

I expect the worst possible outcome which is Estelle telling Wilbur she'll marry him and then they get married.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

What in heavens is Maggie watching? Some sort of documentary about a sentient sponge?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

God. Not even a single day of him at the resort. I am dying for this to be Wilbur’s hallucination.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This shouldn’t be such a big deal. The car wasn’t damaged. Michael was clearly upset that he got lost and was late. Foobdad just has awful boomer parenting skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mary Worth could do a month of two old people talking to each other about dogs but it couldn't drag more than four days out of a plot that is at the core of the longest-printed novel in the English literary canon.