Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't really play Solo games, but I love the Tiny Towns Monthly Solo challenges every month on BGG. Everyone gets the same set of buildings and a choice of 2 monuments, and everyone competes for the high score.

I really like the Tiny Towns one because it has multiple challenges (Base game, Base + Fortune, etc) and you can play the challenge as many times as you like.

I would like to do the Cartographers Monthly challenge but you're only supposed to play 1 game, and while I understand why they structure it that way, I'd rather play the game over and over again, trying to beat my previous score and submitting that.

I find that the Solo game challenges provide me with a motivation that's not really there in point based solo games, so maybe that will work for others as well: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/293469/2022-solo-challenges-subscription

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

armorer posted:

I never had a board space issue with the standee bases, and played exclusively with 4 players.

We tried a variety of solutions - spinny bases, dice, an app (pretty feature light, we played right after release). They all worked fine for most stuff, and none worked well for stupid Slimes.

The right answer for slimes is to not do those missions, and instead, like, rub gravel into your forehead or do anything else.

(In general we REALLY liked Gloomhaven, for the first 40 missions/hours or so anyway).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Outside of the disappointment from this sale, are they an online retailer worthy of inclusion in the OP? I noticed I have no Aus/NZ stores listed, just US, UK, and EU.

They have the biggest range of games and accessories and usually the cheapest prices out of all of the Australian retailers I've come across. I'm not a regular board game buyer but I did make a heap of purchases before Xmas and kept going back to them because they were the better option each time.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah as far as Australian retailers go I would say they are definitely the most professional and consistent which for game stores isn't always very common.

They've also recently opened up a warehouse store a couple of blocks away from my work so I've been click and collecting way too much new stuff because it's so convenient.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

jmzero posted:

We tried a variety of solutions - spinny bases, dice, an app (pretty feature light, we played right after release). They all worked fine for most stuff, and none worked well for stupid Slimes.

The right answer for slimes is to not do those missions, and instead, like, rub gravel into your forehead or do anything else.

(In general we REALLY liked Gloomhaven, for the first 40 missions/hours or so anyway).

this was my standard example of how we were using dice - good times.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does anyone have opinions about Apocrypha, the card based game by the same designer as the Pathfinder ACG? I played it a couple of times over two years ago with a friend who has now passed. I kinda felt like my character, at least, was on the verge of going into a death spiral after a disaster of an adventure due to persistent death penalties and weak rewards.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

As the Broken Token organizers are out (see the second post of the thread for more info if, like me, you were unaware), who in general is the go-to organizer recommendation?

And, specifically, who's got the best organizer for (no surprise to anyone who's seen my recent posts) Spirit Island with expansions?

e: USA if it matters

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 27, 2022

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
If you're cheap, go for Folded Space.

Otherwise I can't help you.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Buy a 3d printer and print/design your own inserts!

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

armorer posted:

This is my favorite solo game. Few things are more satisfying than having a designated place for every piece of a game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

armorer posted:

I feel very seen.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Suddenly Susan posted:

This is my favorite solo game. Few things are more satisfying than having a designated place for every piece of a game.

I've thought about getting a 3d printer for board gaming stuff but I feel like I need a list of 50 things to justify one since the LAST time I had a 3d printer I barely used it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Admiralty Flag posted:

As the Broken Token organizers are out (see the second post of the thread for more info if, like me, you were unaware), who in general is the go-to organizer recommendation?

And, specifically, who's got the best organizer for (no surprise to anyone who's seen my recent posts) Spirit Island with expansions?

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=spirit+island+insert&type=things&sort=relevant

I haven't printed any of these myself, but it seems there are a bunch of options.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Slimy Hog posted:

I've thought about getting a 3d printer for board gaming stuff but I feel like I need a list of 50 things to justify one since the LAST time I had a 3d printer I barely used it.

http://homeskillet.org/bgg3dprints/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Llyranor posted:

If you're cheap, go for Folded Space.

Otherwise I can't help you.

Folded Space is the only organizer system that I buy. Cheap and functional is all I ask.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Admiralty Flag posted:

There’s some good Etsy shops out there like Tower Rex or Laser Ox. I’ve ordered from both and the quality is as good or better than Broken Token ever was.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

My local library has a 3D printer and charges per gram of filament used. Might be worth looking into rather than buying a 3D printer.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Admiralty Flag posted:

As the Broken Token organizers are out (see the second post of the thread for more info if, like me, you were unaware)

I'm very happy that the OP helped at least one goon. It was all worth it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

armorer posted:

Or if you don't fancy that, fall back on the tried and true method of foamcore and a hot glue gun.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Is Meeple Realty any good? They don't have a Spirit Island insert, but they've got some other things that look decent.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Viper915 posted:

Is Meeple Realty any good? They don't have a Spirit Island insert, but they've got some other things that look decent.

Yeah, they're probably the best of the wooden inserts, I have a pile of them. I don't know about Spirit Island but I have a few for other games and they're really nice.

The problem with other organizers is that they're often strictly utilitarian and you have this big ugly box on the table. Meeple Realty tries to incorporate some style into the insert so it enhances the look while you play. It's both useful and makes the game look better:

Quacks

Pipeline

Nyan island

they also have a dinosaur that shits dice

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 28, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Chip Theory Games is making some Elder Scrolls game: https://chiptheorygames.com/the-elder-scrolls/

Too Many Bones is an absolute banger and it has "Character building & combat inspired by Too Many Bones"

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

That may be the first big videogame-IP boardgame that I actually consider backing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Back Alley Borks posted:

That may be the first big videogame-IP boardgame that I actually consider backing.

You should try Master of Orion. I keep seeing it really cheap, and it's a good game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Too Many Scrolls is going to launch in October via Gamefound.

So it's interesting to see the big KS companies start to pivot away from them.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd be roaring too if I had a fence post up my arse

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Chip Theory was already on Gamefound.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who the hell am I thinking of then :thunk:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My copy of Townsfolk Tussle arrived today! It's a really lovely production, and for once I feel like it's a Kickstarter where a bunch of minis is justified. Its basically a simplified KDM except instead of nods to rape, it's in a loveable Tex Avery (actually very cuphead) style, and the art and character design is just absolutely top notch!

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it seems really fun. One cool element is that there are a bunch of differing bosses, and a game is you beating four of them sequentially.

But they each have differing rules depending on when you face them, so they all get harder in different ways depending on how late you reach them, and then they all have a totally game changing scenario if you're facing them as the final battle. I think it's a really cool way of keeping things varied.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah, they're probably the best of the wooden inserts, I have a pile of them. I don't know about Spirit Island but I have a few for other games and they're really nice.

The problem with other organizers is that they're often strictly utilitarian and you have this big ugly box on the table. Meeple Realty tries to incorporate some style into the insert so it enhances the look while you play. It's both useful and makes the game look better:

Quacks

Pipeline

Nyan island

Even before the controversy I liked Meeple Realty inserts better than Broken Token
I think I have their Yokohama (which the boat shape adds to the theming), Orleans, Codenames, and Anachrony (which unfortunately doesn't play well with the legendary box, but the included inserts for that is probably the best plastic inserts I've seen)
I also have the BT Gloomhaven and Scythe inserts and while they're practical, they were nowhere near as fun to build or look at and even without the issues surrounding BT if I could do it again I'd probably have gotten the MR ones instead

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

I’ve got spirit island and branch and claw stowed away with a folded space insert. No idea if it’s the best option, but it works pretty well and greatly speeds up the game. Everything fits in the base box, which is nice.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Admiralty Flag posted:

See if you can find a family or friend with a 3D printer to make you inserts for the invaders, blight, and invader cards.
Take up wood carving to make the rest of the inserts.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

!Klams posted:

My copy of Townsfolk Tussle arrived today! It's a really lovely production, and for once I feel like it's a Kickstarter where a bunch of minis is justified. Its basically a simplified KDM except instead of nods to rape, it's in a loveable Tex Avery (actually very cuphead) style, and the art and character design is just absolutely top notch!

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it seems really fun. One cool element is that there are a bunch of differing bosses, and a game is you beating four of them sequentially.

But they each have differing rules depending on when you face them, so they all get harder in different ways depending on how late you reach them, and then they all have a totally game changing scenario if you're facing them as the final battle. I think it's a really cool way of keeping things varied.

I haven't taken my copy out of the shrink wrap yet, but hopefully I will get it to the table in the next few weeks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So I'm not a huge Dice Tower/Tom Vassel fan, but they've recently done their Top 100 Games of All Time list and Ark Nova is Tom's #1 - which is a pretty big loving call, seeing how it only released last year, and likely a huge loving boost to its popularity.

Gonna go watch a bunch of videos on it tomorrow I think.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

So I'm not a huge Dice Tower/Tom Vassel fan, but they've recently done their Top 100 Games of All Time list and Ark Nova is Tom's #1 - which is a pretty big loving call, seeing how it only released last year, and likely a huge loving boost to its popularity.

I haven't watched TDT regularly in ages, but Cosmic Encounter was his top game forever and ever. I thought it would probably never change.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Wow, didn’t expect that outcome. It’s been on my radar.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Infinitum posted:

PETA is gonna be pissed!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I can’t imagine putting any stock in Tom Vasel’s opinion on anything.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well none of them voted for Fury of Dracula, so I say the whole list can be safely ignore :v:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

I can’t imagine putting any stock in Tom Vasel’s opinion on anything.

He’s a good metric for what’s 20 years out of fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ark Nova is pretty good! Doesn't have a place at my 1# GOAT but it isn't a bad game.