Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i took audrey's plot as being in relation to the return's theme of how "you can't go back" in that all she wants is to go back, and she can't, and it is driving her crazy. maybe that's too simple a read. but also i don't really care what's "real" or not with her storyline

Yeah Audrey’s thing is literally just a summation of Coop’s arc during season 3. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Audrey's scenes were more about the weird friction between Sherilyn Fenn and Lynch than Twin Peaks, I think.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Origami Dali posted:

Audrey's scenes were more about the weird friction between Sherilyn Fenn and Lynch than Twin Peaks, I think.

I'm really curious as to what her original storyline was

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

What friction is this?

I know she wanted more for character and had all kinds of ideas.

It's interesting to me because so much of it reads like a stress dream. Wanting to leave, but being blocked by some unknown force. Finally leaving, only to be stuck in another dream.

It's also the complete opposite of her s2 character which is incredibly empowered with lots of agency and determination.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 minutes!)

audrey's stuff in s3 did pretty much nothing for me, really. might as well not have been there.

but i don't analyse this show that closely, i think it takes the fun out of the stuff that works, so i have no reasoning for why.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Pattonesque posted:

I'm really curious as to what her original storyline was

I heard somewhere that she was going to be the one getting beaten up by Richard Horne.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love the Audrey scenes. They're so unsettling. The sound that plays when she "wakes up" is so good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of y’all aren’t aware that Sherilyn Fenn refused to do the original Audrey scenes and Lynch wrote the ones we got instead

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think Lynch should have written something for Audrey that wasn't her getting beat up or being trapped in a room. Like maybe interacting with the rest of the characters in Twin Peaks. A scene with her dad, and Cooper when he comes back. Crazy I know!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

A scene with her dad, and Cooper when he comes back.

Seeing how adult Audrey interacts with an elderly Ben could be interesting, but I don't think you would get a pleasant scene out of reuniting Audrey with the man who is superficially indistinguishable from her rapist. Once they settled on that backstory for Richard Horne and Mr. C, it became impossible to put Audrey and Coop together again and have it be anything other than traumatic.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I could easily see Audrey being estranged from her father too for obvious reasons.

There's a whole lotta reasons that having her interact with the main characters of twin peaks in a meaningful way would be very difficult.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Seeing how adult Audrey interacts with an elderly Ben could be interesting, but I don't think you would get a pleasant scene out of reuniting Audrey with the man who is superficially indistinguishable from her rapist. Once they settled on that backstory for Richard Horne and Mr. C, it became impossible to put Audrey and Coop together again and have it be anything other than traumatic.

Also repetitive of the Diane scenes.

I liked the Audrey scenes. It does suck that she was kind of silod, but it was such a great representation of the unease and helplessness you get in dreams sometimes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The most important thing to remember about the Audrey scenes is that Charlie is just so tired, he's very, very tired! :shobon:

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the Audrey scenes are some of my favorites in the show, that final one especially.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It was great when the show aired cause everyone was like AUDREY WHEN every week, and when she finally showed up it was the excitement of "oh my god there she is" immediately followed by "what the gently caress?"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

It was great when the show aired cause everyone was like AUDREY WHEN every week, and when she finally showed up it was the excitement of "oh my god there she is" immediately followed by "what the gently caress?"
____ when
what the gently caress?

Is the plot synopsis of season 3.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
The Audrey scenes are the only things I would fast-forward on a rewatch- I think they are the only thing that is an actual "drag" in Twin Peaks S3. But it all concludes so well it was kinda worth It anyway.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Didn't I read that Lynch gave Sherilyn Fenn table scraps because he was still pissed at her for doing Boxing Helena in the 90s? The only story I've heard about him which reflects badly on him

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Dignity posted:

Didn't I read that Lynch gave Sherilyn Fenn table scraps because he was still pissed at her for doing Boxing Helena in the 90s? The only story I've heard about him which reflects badly on him

Sounds very obviously fake. Why would he be mad at her for doing his daughter’s movie?

My Lovely Horse posted:

lmao it didn’t help that the first Audrey episode is probably the least good episode of The Return

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Sounds very obviously fake. Why would he be mad at her for doing his daughter’s movie?

she said he was, I heard it with my own ears at a panel

still doesn't necessarily mean it's true, though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now I have an OLED it’s probably time to bust out the 4K disc in From Z to A, huh?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Now I have an OLED it’s probably time to bust out the 4K disc in From Z to A, huh?
:bisonyes:

I've got a growing 4K disc collection now and I really wish I had gotten that set for the 4K disc. I've already got the original series, Fire Walk With Me, The Missing Pieces and The Return on Blu-Ray, so that would've been the only part of that set of interest to me, but still.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
The 4k disc is amazing but Episode 8 in 4k specifically is an experience I wish everyone in this thread could have. Its glorious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Man-In-Madden posted:

The 4k disc is amazing but Episode 8 in 4k specifically is an experience I wish everyone in this thread could have. Its glorious.

Just watched. That was SO beautiful oh my god

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I recently re-watched this. The Showtime episode 17 had the track a few seconds off, so it really ruined that episode. I have to say though, watching it all at once was an infinitely better experience than watching it week to week. I had a sour taste in my mouth at the end of the original airing. This is a show that requires binging. A ~16 hour movie cut up over 12 weeks, was awful. The 16 hour movie cut up over 3-4 blocks, was mesmerizing.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

escape artist posted:

I recently re-watched this. The Showtime episode 17 had the track a few seconds off, so it really ruined that episode. I have to say though, watching it all at once was an infinitely better experience than watching it week to week. I had a sour taste in my mouth at the end of the original airing. This is a show that requires binging. A ~16 hour movie cut up over 12 weeks, was awful. The 16 hour movie cut up over 3-4 blocks, was mesmerizing.

It helped that they did two episodes a week for the first two weeks. IMO that's a good release pace for any show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That first day when there were four episodes available at once was so loving glorious

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Escobarbarian posted:

That first day when there were four episodes available at once was so loving glorious

Yep. I was still on board by the end of those 4 episodes. I think they did one a week after that, with maybe a two-a-week once in a while, like the finale. It was also in the midst of Game of Thrones Season 7, and at the time I felt more invested in GoT, having spent so much time reading those drat books. I actually HATED episode 8 when it first aired.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fok3AVJVk2A

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1489679187162009603

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha what the gently caress

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1489651387478654976
and in other lynch news gently caress yes i've been wanting this for like a decade now...god drat!!!!!!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its the only lynch joint i havent seen in a theater yet (other than the return). and also its one of my favorite movies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

oh no

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

…Sy Fableman?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Huh, I wonder what "Remastered picture" means. I don't know anything about the technology, but is there really anything you could do to make Inland Empire look "better"?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please have a documentary crew omnipresent catching every single interaction between Lynch and Spielberg as they argue over how to make a film :stare:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Huh, I wonder what "Remastered picture" means. I don't know anything about the technology, but is there really anything you could do to make Inland Empire look "better"?
heres an article on what criterion did to restore spike lee’s bamboozled, which offers some idea of what they can do with something like this https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6944-cleaning-up-spike-lee-s-mixed-format-masterpiece

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Please have a documentary crew omnipresent catching every single interaction between Lynch and Spielberg as they argue over how to make a film :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Damnit, Hank, can't you just leave Garry and Cmdr. Ivanova alone!