Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ytlaya posted:

All other jobs ultimately just feel like different algorithms applied to series of button presses.

I think you summarized every mmo job ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think you summarized every mmo job ever.

E: all games ever

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

King of Solomon posted:

It's not mandatory, but it's helpful. There are big chunks of 1-50 where leveling is either leves or turn-ins, and the Ixal help break the monotony.

Anyone who's leveling crafting jobs between 20 and the mid 60s in any way other than Ishgard Restoration is doing themselves a profound disservice.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ytlaya posted:

I've gradually come to the conclusion that the only truly meaningful difference between jobs in FF14 is whether they make heavy use of cast times. All other jobs ultimately just feel like different algorithms applied to series of button presses.

My brain expanding then immedietly deflating You know when you think about it the only difference between playing Dante in DMC 5 and Leon in RE4 is they press buttons differently.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Anyone who's leveling crafting jobs between 20 and the mid 60s in any way other than Ishgard Restoration is doing themselves a profound disservice.

I've leveled ... 8 or so characters to 80 using nothing but GC handins, really. It's not too bad to just throw up a list and get a chunk of xp daily.

Ishgard is great for knocking it out I guess. Main was capped when I unlocked it, so only did enough to get the mounts and stuff.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My brain expanding then immedietly deflating You know when you think about it the only difference between playing Dante in DMC 5 and Leon in RE4 is they press buttons differently.

Mario is just a bunch of button presses. Makes you think

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kyrosiris posted:

I... didn't know you could do that. I thought Ishgard Restoration was a higher level thing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Barreft posted:

Mario is just a bunch of button presses. Makes you think
Sometimes Mario is only half an A button press, though.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those who truly know understand that the only original games over the past couple decades are Steel Battalion and Rocksmith, after all games can’t be all that different if they all use the same controller…

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Would toss in that Ishgard Restoration doesn't unlock until after patch 3.3 content, if you're actually working your way on crafters from early on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I... didn't know you could do that. I thought Ishgard Restoration was a higher level thing.

you have to be level 60 to unlock it since it unlocks in the hw patch content but you can go into it with a level 1 crafter and level them. its so fast that i wouldnt really bother leveling a crafter until you have access to it

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Endorph posted:

you have to be level 60 to unlock it since it unlocks in the hw patch content but you can go into it with a level 1 crafter and level them. its so fast that i wouldnt really bother leveling a crafter until you have access to it

I didn't spend significant time leveling crafters until after I finished EW. I just figured Ishgard Restoration was high level content. Oops.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Might finally be time to level a crafter then

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

sexpig by night posted:

yea Ninja was really unique and cool in 11, I like 14's a lot but nothing really ever felt like using an army of shadow clones to soak damage and all

I miss WHM/NIN just because turning WHM into a dual-hammer melee powerhouse with hexastrike and reverend mail was great fun.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I did class quests and random crafts from 1-20 as you can craft 95% of the 1-20 quest items with just the guild's own vendor stuff.

20-75 or so was all Restoration hand-ins. Restoration is the fastest way and also the most efficient gil-wise. Restoration materials are insanely cheap on the MB, or free if you're also leveling your gatherers via Restoration. Besides the Restoration mats you only need one or two "real" mats per turn in, but nothing terribly rare or expensive. The one problem with Restoration: it is insanely boring. You have to sit there and spam 45 second macros around 120 times per class. Yes, that's over 12 hours of tapping a couple of buttons every minute if you're leveling all eight crafters. Choose a good show to binge.

75+ went back and did all the class quests and Crystarium deliveries (you can also start doing Dwarf dailies here if needed) to comfortably reach 80.

80 onwards I decided to slow down because I was starting to get burned out. Just doing a few leves a day + Studium deliveries.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

I would rescue this dweeb so hard

you are the dweeb here, loser

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I have at last discovered a new and extremely silly version of tanxiety, which is the fear that if the main tank is bad (or PLD) and you're autopiloting too hard you can accidentally pick up enmity and direct a cleave into the party, thereby lengthening the time it takes to complete the dancing plague.

on the other hand, this near-wipe has given me a new goal in trial and raid roulettes: time a provoke well enough to direct a cleave or fast aoe into my friend who likes to troll with rescue

Valentin fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 28, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Valentin posted:

I have at last discovered a new and extremely silly version of tanxiety, which is the fear that if the main tank is bad (or PLD) and you're autopiloting too hard you can accidentally pick up enmity and direct a cleave into the party, thereby lengthening the time it takes to complete the dancing plague.

on the other hand, this near-wipe has given me a new goal in trial and raid roulettes: time a provoke well enough to direct a cleave or fast aoe into my friend who likes to troll with rescue

turn off tank stance if you aren't main tank and it'll never happen. You'll generate less enmity than the dps, even

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I really thought I got the worst out of the way by getting all the NPC triad cards. The dungeon/trial drop rate seems to be much worse.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Its the beginning of the end for 3.0 in the Heavensward LP.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Valentin posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

turn off tank stance if you aren't main tank and it'll never happen. You'll generate less enmity than the dps, even

learn to use and love shirk / stance dance. it's handy to actually have an emnity lead over everyone else if the mt suddenly eats poo poo and it's good practice for higher level content (well, the mt having terribad dps isn't such an issue there but being able to manage emnity is a useful skill to develop)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah typically I'd hold off on hitting the tank stance until a few GCDs in, and then swap it on and off periodically, the problem is just that that's antithetical to paying zero attention in my roulette. cost of doing business, and all that.

running with tank stance off is actually counterproductive to brain empty tanking because then if the MT dies, the DPS start dying one by one until I look up. paying minimal attention without causing problems is a tough needle to thread, but I persevere

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oneiros posted:

learn to use and love shirk / stance dance. it's handy to actually have an emnity lead over everyone else if the mt suddenly eats poo poo and it's good practice for higher level content (well, the mt having terribad dps isn't such an issue there but being able to manage emnity is a useful skill to develop)

Yeah, if I'm off-tanking I usually just wait a few GCDs before turning my stance on, so the main tank can get a good lead on me but I'm not behind all the DPS.

Though it is funny when there's a person trying really hard to MT despite being undergeared or just being bad at their job, so you end up taking aggro back without even trying :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have a similar problem as a 594 PLD where I prefer being OT but I keep gradually creeping up and up the aggro ladder due to being stupidly overgeared.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 28, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Begemot posted:

Yeah, if I'm off-tanking I usually just wait a few GCDs before turning my stance on, so the main tank can get a good lead on me but I'm not behind all the DPS.

Though it is funny when there's a person trying really hard to MT despite being undergeared or just being bad at their job, so you end up taking aggro back without even trying :allears:

i was running p1n and gave the mt an entire pld rotation's headstart before turning stance on and completely zoning out

i was eventually rudely reawoken by a tankbuster :negative:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't actually do this because I've eaten way too many tankbusters as DPS when the MT suddenly bites it because of this

Or do and laugh I guess, I ain't your mom

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
just turn stance on and hit provoke if they die

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the other thing is to not position youself in the dps blob unless for stack mechanics or group heals or whatever. usually when i'm offtanking i pick a forward flank position; far enough back that i'm not getting cleaved/busted with the mt, but safely away from everyone else so they don't get splashed with dual busters or a surprise cleave

sometimes a healer will make it their mission to stand with you and eat every buster splash. i don't kinkshame

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

had like three separate 50% enrages on p4s part 1 and i am filled with bloodlust i want dracula loving dead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

had like three separate 50% enrages on p4s part 1 and i am filled with bloodlust i want dracula loving dead

it's so loving rude that you have to hit 49% instead of 50%. I presume the actual threshold is exactly half, but that the displayed hp value truncates so displayed 50% means "between 50% and 51%"

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

tanking is the easiest role in the game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Endorph posted:

How do you actually use it to level crafters? I unlocked it but it's not exactly the most user friendly thing in the world and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there. I did do all the cute sidequests though, that was nice.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Trash Ops posted:

tanking is the easiest role in the game

it's true

except maybe healing if your party is decent

i'm not entirely sure what's driven s-e to make healers completely superfluous in everything but the hardest content but it sure is a choice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in "exchange" they seem to have by far the hardest role in savage

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

How do you actually use it to level crafters? I unlocked it but it's not exactly the most user friendly thing in the world and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there. I did do all the cute sidequests though, that was nice.
Once you've unlocked it, you'll have a bunch of Ishgard Restoration recipes on your secondary recipe tab (where master recipes and miscellaneous stuff goes); you're only concerned with the Restoration (4) tab because the earlier stuff was just tied to the actual one-time Ishgard Restoration world "race" thing (don't worry about it, all you missed out on was some limited-time titles and cute incidental FATEs and minor stories - stuff I'm sad that people can't re-experience but doesn't actually affect anything else mechanically).

Collectability is basically the same thing as quality, and you're aiming to at least hit the minimum collectability listed for your latest turn-ins. As you gain levels and better quality gear, you'll be better equipped to hit the maximum collectability but you'll also eventually cross the threshold to the next tier where you'll basically be starting from the bottom again, all the way up until experience falls off (though you can still do turn-ins for Skybuilder Scrip).

The "Approved Grade 4" materials all come from Diadem, where you have to gather a bunch and then bring them back to the Firmament to get Approved. But you can usually buy what you need from those pretty cheap on the market board. You'll also always need some additional materials from normal areas of the game, including intermediate materials from other disciplines as you get into higher level recipes (e.g. Nuggets and Ingots and Cloths for CRP, all of which are crafted by non-CRP jobs), and it'll probably be cheaper if you can omni-craft than buying pre-made stuff (though obviously the latter is faster).

For reference's sake, this is a level 63 CRP, needing 1,621,000 experience to level. FOUR 580 collectability Spinning Wheels is a level up, but FIVE 260 collectability Spinning Wheels is also a level up. And with a pile of resources for the recipe, it's honestly not that difficult to crank out a bunch, especially with a good macro.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If the tank can't keep up on aggro even with Shirk you should just Provoke and tank yourself imo.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

If the tank can't keep up on aggro even with Shirk you should just Provoke and tank yourself imo.

that's how you get provoke wars and i can't be botherered

if it's actually a problem once you've got a good bit of enmity yourself you can just turn off stance and coast till the end anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's very important if you get syrcus tower to win the aggro wars, because that's the only interesting thing to do there. Make sure your personal buff is up as you go into each boss, and spam your ranged move multiple times. Try to be right at the pathway as it spawns. Cut the corners as tightly as you can so no other tank beats you in

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In the Syrcus Tower tank wars, be absolutely sure you and the other two tanks are fighting for dominance. Picking up adds to ensure the DPS survive the encounter is not what the Main Character does! :downsgun:

A person in my FC completely refuses to do Ally roulette anymore because of that exact scenario. None of the tanks were willing to gather up adds and he kept getting the aggro because he was apparently the only one attacking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you don't even have to be attacking. throw out an aoe heal (because the dps are all taking a lot of damage because none of the tanks have their stance on)? death sentence