Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Otter_Sauce posted:

gently caress, Ive never seen an example of someone loving themselves so god drat hard. He is so not in a good way and it did not have to be that way. What happens to him now?

Right now his family wants everything done for him so he's going to get dialysis because his kidneys are hosed, but dude has no cough reflex, no gag reflex, no pain response...most i can get is pupilary response, and even then only when his eyes aren't rolled to the back of his head

he's on no pain meds, no sedation

i straight up asked his daughter if, given what he said when he came in, he'd want to be on a ventilator? and dialysis? and have all these invasive lines?

she said no but she isn't ready to give up

Lovelyn fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Innocuous posted:

hey so i was just wondering

how is the media going to play this in about five years when many people young and old have been kicked into the dirt by something like 10-12 COVID infections overall

is it going to be comorbidities/personal responsibility all the way down or will we shift to NOBODY SAW THIS COMING HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?

the same ghouls who are currently pushing “practical” and ”balanced” pro covid measures, will write new think pieces with headlines such as “what to do about America’s stubbornly high death and disability rate?” that will connect the dots to covid, yet still nothing will be done

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

No, it’s when you post a selfie and goons roast you til you fix your fit

the real goon gauntlet is shaving your neckbeard

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Forseti posted:

Inspired me to waste some time this morning

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Innocuous posted:

hey so i was just wondering

how is the media going to play this in about five years when many people young and old have been kicked into the dirt by something like 10-12 COVID infections overall

is it going to be comorbidities/personal responsibility all the way down or will we shift to NOBODY SAW THIS COMING HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?

Five years seems really generous for a time frame even if we didn’t end up with more aggressive variants. The average person isn’t Jair Bolsonaro and can’t roll into covid infection after covid infection without it impacting their lives . A lot of the media narrative is relying on the general public not having caught on regarding reinfection and convincing people that covid is having the yuckies for five days and coming out the other end fine, with a stronger immune system even. That’s going to fall apart fast if omicron is as easy to repeatedly catch as it’s starting to look like or when we get a variant that is and my prediction is NOBODY SAW THIS COMING HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?

jetz0r posted:

Most sites are showing a 2 week lead time on auras right now, now that I'm looking closer.
This shows cases in stock, for $550 https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/3m-9205-aura-n95-particulate-respirator-niosh-approved/

This is the list of ppe sites I check for masks:
https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/
https://www.magidglove.com
https://www.rshughes.com/
https://www.zoro.com/masks-respiratory-protection/c/4451/
https://www.digikey.com/ (mostly half mask level stuff)
https://www.fastenal.com/
https://industrialsafety.com/ (I have canceled an order from here because it was taking too long to ship)
Quoting as a little treat for myself

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

u all should be glad nobody gives a poo poo about covid cause imagine if they all did and sawyou with your fancy masks... they'd kill u

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

jesus gently caress this mask + P100s are easier to breath in than an n95

breathing in my secureclick is so indistinguishable from breathing without a mask that i get paranoid and do the pressure check randomly to make sure it's sealed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
remember in the first like month or two of covid in the usa when a truck of masks tipped over or whatever and people were grabbing them off the freeway because they wanted masks lol

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

this is really good

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The best option is to just assume that I'm a moron with brain damage since I took them off and reoriented them and they're working fine and look right now.

the bayonet connections on knock-off 3m connectors aren't keyed, so you can orient filters however the gently caress you want on those. i was going to ask if yours were keyed and to check for that

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The best option is to just assume that I'm a moron with brain damage since I took them off and reoriented them and they're working fine and look right now.

The first day I tried putting on the filters I had them clocked wrong too (one pointing up, one pointing down). It probably shouldn't be so easy to do that, it's kind of weird that it is.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.24.477490v1

Close relatives of MERS-CoV in bats use ACE2 as their functional receptor

quote:

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and several bat coronaviruses employ Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP4) as their functional receptors. However, the receptor for NeoCoV, the closest MERS-CoV relative yet discovered in bats, remains enigmatic. In this study, we unexpectedly found that NeoCoV and its close relative, PDF-2180-CoV, can efficiently use some types of bat Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) and, less favorably, human ACE2 for entry. The two viruses use their spikes' S1 subunit carboxyl-terminal domains (S1-CTD) for high-affinity and species-specific ACE2 binding. Cryo-electron microscopy analysis revealed a novel coronavirus-ACE2 binding interface and a protein-glycan interaction, distinct from other known ACE2-using viruses. We identified a molecular determinant close to the viral binding interface that restricts human ACE2 from supporting NeoCoV infection, especially around residue Asp338. Conversely, NeoCoV efficiently infects human ACE2 expressing cells after a T510F mutation on the receptor-binding motif (RBM). Notably, the infection could not be cross-neutralized by antibodies targeting SARS-CoV-2 or MERS-CoV. Our study demonstrates the first case of ACE2 usage in MERS-related viruses, shedding light on a potential bio-safety threat of the human emergence of an ACE2 using 'MERS-CoV-2' with both high fatality and transmission rate.

Other CoVs are sitting out there just one mutation away from the next zoonosis. Exciting!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

jetz0r posted:

breathing in my secureclick is so indistinguishable from breathing without a mask that i get paranoid and do the pressure check randomly to make sure it's sealed.

Starting to wonder if I should try a size small respirator because I definitely feel more comfortable in an Aura because they’re not heavy like my respirator and I’m wondering if that’s a sizing issue?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1486948579084480513?s=20&t=BwGvsfesHz_tbDJihBM7ew

7 days seems kinda short

i guess at least our definition of close contact is decent

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

The “trick” is to force it on at the two o’clock position, then rotate clockwise to five o’clock.

e: I take back what I said about them not sealing properly against the gasket. If you do both filters like this, it seems to work. It’s silly and it damages the lugs on the respirator, but I would bet that you could pass an occupational fit test in this position, aside from the whole “not following manufacturer’s directions” clause.

You don't need to (and for the love of god please don't, it's plastic) force it, but if you really want to have filter fangs then slide the short notch on the filter "under" one of the wrong sized pegs and then press it on- one of the pegs will be on the proper sized notch, and the small peg will line up with a larger notch

I tried just to see wtf and yes it does seem to get a proper fit, although trying to pinch test the seals was a bit more of a pain than usual

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Starting to wonder if I should try a size small respirator because I definitely feel more comfortable in an Aura because they’re not heavy like my respirator and I’m wondering if that’s a sizing issue?

all the 3m half masks are chonky fuckers, with the secureclick being an absolute unit. a small north 7700 would be my pick for the lightest high quality respirator. it doesn't have any extra plastic shell, just the silicone face piece and the ports for filters and exhaust.

Edit: my M secure click with filters is 220 grams, while my M north 7700 with filters is 185 grams. and my S north 7700 is 182 grams

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 28, 2022

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I was on the cusp of S/M for my 3M and Honeywells, went with the S, have had no regrets

ETA: I failed my hospital's fit test for N95s

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.24.477490v1

Close relatives of MERS-CoV in bats use ACE2 as their functional receptor

Other CoVs are sitting out there just one mutation away from the next zoonosis. Exciting!

I mean we've known this for over 20 years. Thankfully we used that time to prepare ourselves very well for an eventual SARS-CoV pandemic.

lmao

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I want to move up to the secure click but it hasn’t been available for months. Is there another place to get it?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

I want to move up to the secure click but it hasn’t been available for months. Is there another place to get it?

I saw zoro had it

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pro click

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

how else am i gonna gently caress the virus??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lpzie posted:

by wearing a P100

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

https://www.zoro.com/search?q=secure%20click

basic p100 filters https://www.zoro.com/3m-filter-magenta-push-to-connect-pr-d3091/i/G5774737/?recommended=true
slightly more rain resistant p100 filters with organic vapor filterings https://www.zoro.com/3m-combination-cartridgefilter-black-pr-d80921/i/G5774457/?recommended=true (bigger and heavier, though)

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Lpzie posted:

buddy

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

Right now his family wants everything done for him so he's going to get dialysis because his kidneys are hosed, but dude has no cough reflex, no gag reflex, no pain response...most i can get is pupilary response, and even then only when his eyes aren't rolled to the back of his head

he's on no paid meds, no sedation

i straight up asked his daughter if, given what he said when he came in, he'd want to be on a ventilator? and dialysis? and have all these invasive lines?

lol, just lmao

the "worst" thing I did when I had appendicitis was buy and eat a honeybun in the ER waiting room because they took like 2 hours to bring me back and I was getting hungry (and the triage nurse saw me and ratted me out), since I wasn't anywhere close to bursting they made me wait like 8 hours before doing the surgery

maybe I should have tried refusing all care instead, sounds fun

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
shot

Lovelyn posted:

Reminds me of a recent patient I had. Came in for RLQ pain, turns out it was his appendix! He refuses surgery because he doesn't trust doctors (not sure why he came in), refused a covid swab because he didn't want his personal information sent to Biden who would then use it for experiments.

Then his appendix ruptures, and it's even more of a medical emergency. We need to get him to surgery to get his appendix out, and all surgeries require a covid swab. He declines repeatedly. We finally manage to get the test waived (we'd just presume positive and treat him as such), and he still declines. He agrees to antibiotics, even though he's "allergic to all of them." Then declines antibiotics. He still refuses surgery. Then agrees to surgery if it can wait till Monday.

Anyway he coded a couple times and sustained anoxic brain damage, is now septic and on a vent (and confirmed covid positive!)

chaser

Lovelyn posted:

he's on no paid meds, no sedation

Jesus Christ lmao

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Lovelyn posted:

Reminds me of a recent patient I had. Came in for RLQ pain, turns out it was his appendix! He refuses surgery because he doesn't trust doctors (not sure why he came in), refused a covid swab because he didn't want his personal information sent to Biden who would then use it for experiments.

Then his appendix ruptures, and it's even more of a medical emergency. We need to get him to surgery to get his appendix out, and all surgeries require a covid swab. He declines repeatedly. We finally manage to get the test waived (we'd just presume positive and treat him as such), and he still declines. He agrees to antibiotics, even though he's "allergic to all of them." Then declines antibiotics. He still refuses surgery. Then agrees to surgery if it can wait till Monday.

Anyway he coded a couple times and sustained anoxic brain damage, is now septic and on a vent (and confirmed covid positive!)

He didn't go there for help, he went for an audience to witness his death. Unreal.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

man just night sweatin' it up over here.
maybe it's just piss from my pores.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Wanna get catching covid out of the way in January so you’re rested and ready for reinfection in February

lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lovelyn posted:

dudes rock

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly haven't been able to keep up with the thread this week. What's the real deal as far as being reinfected with BA.2 after a previous omicron infection?

Was sick with covid (pcr+ on the 4th of January), cleared the infection (two negative pcr tests 10 and 11 days later) and feel 99% better, hocking up some crap but that seems to be on the downswing

I'd rather not get sick for two weeks again...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

OK baizuo posted:

I honestly haven't been able to keep up with the thread this week. What's the real deal as far as being reinfected with BA.2 after a previous omicron infection?

Was sick with covid (pcr+ on the 4th of January), cleared the infection (two negative pcr tests 10 and 11 days later) and feel 99% better, hocking up some crap but that seems to be on the downswing

BA.2 has about 20 mutations compared to original Omicron, so it can reinfect people fairly easily

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OK baizuo posted:

covid is over

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

BA.2 has about 20 mutations compared to original Omicron, so it can reinfect people fairly easily

ah, so only 60 some odd mutations to the spike protein then vs wildtype

slowly mutating virus

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Ocugen/status/1486708243879579652

How many hoops do they have to jump through before their vaccine gets approved in North America

jesus christ

The approval for Covaxin in Canada (via Bharat's subsidiary Vacigen) has been sitting dormant since June 2021, and the approval of Covaxin for under-5 kids in the US (via Ocugen) has been sitting dormant since November 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You are Worf.

SARS-CoV-2 is the alien of the week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNugget Buddy posted:

How many hoops do they have to jump through before their vaccine gets approved in North America

They need to embarrass Biden’s press secretary.

That’s it. That’s the only way anything gets done in Washington now.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1486946281629040646

I still haven't heard a good explanation of BA.1.1

ad lol Delta's still trying to come back from the dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

They need to embarrass Biden’s press secretary.

That’s it. That’s the only way anything gets done in Washington now.

lol that this is basically what happened. god psaki is Fuckin Terrible.