Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

humpthewind posted:

Norby is quite a name.
His friends call him Norbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Norbert would sound a little too archaic.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Speaking with some people I know, the Qatar World Cup is this winter and no one I know wants to go for Fox. Missing thanksgiving and being in Qatar til a week before Christmas is something no one wants to do. It’s not a “fun” destination.

On top of it all I know a lot of people are stressed thinking about the massive amount of extra work in a daily workflow this will create for Fox. I’m actually really interested how they’re going to handle World Cup broadcasts that will certainly overlap on NCAA football and NFL days.

The World Cup final lands on a Sunday. Hard to imagine Fox boots the final to something like FS1.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bip Roberts posted:

I think because China will lock them up for a month if anyone tests positive.

Yeah, while China has been clearing the low bar set by the US, they are MASSIVELY underreporting their cases. While it seems like they are taking good precautions, if something does break out I would not trust them to handle it in a sane manner.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
We all know the Olympics are going to be fantastic because the Chinese government is incredible

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yeah, while China has been clearing the low bar set by the US, they are MASSIVELY underreporting their cases. While it seems like they are taking good precautions, if something does break out I would not trust them to handle it in a sane manner.

You’re gonna need to cite your sources here on massively underreporting their cases. Because the only sources I’ve seen say that are either within the US Government or mouthpieces for the US government in the media who have reason to cast shade on China in general. Isn’t it just much more likely that a much more authoritarian government is a lot better at controlling their population when it comes to a pandemic?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah this sports broadcasting thread in the sports forum is not the place to discuss and debate China’s reporting of COVID numbers.

We can all agree that the restrictions on anyone going are going to be tough, likely stricter than Tokyo last summer, and press complained about that to high heavens. China will likely be stricter, which means there’s little value to going.

soggybagel posted:

Speaking with some people I know, the Qatar World Cup is this winter and no one I know wants to go for Fox. Missing thanksgiving and being in Qatar til a week before Christmas is something no one wants to do. It’s not a “fun” destination.

Welcome to the joy of living overseas, Fox crew :v: if Qatar is anything close to being like Dubai, it’ll have enough luxury shopping malls to keep people busy on off days, but yeah, hardly a real tourist spot as of yet.

Thanks, FIFA, for accepting such a wonderful bid!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

soggybagel posted:

On top of it all I know a lot of people are stressed thinking about the massive amount of extra work in a daily workflow this will create for Fox. I’m actually really interested how they’re going to handle World Cup broadcasts that will certainly overlap on NCAA football and NFL days.

The World Cup final lands on a Sunday. Hard to imagine Fox boots the final to something like FS1.

What time would the final be? If it’s 7 pm Qatar time, that’s 11 AM EST. If Fox just accepts they won’t show any 1 PM football games that day, they can still broadcast the final. Hell if it’s an hour earlier, it would be done before NFL even starts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

What time would the final be? If it’s 7 pm Qatar time, that’s 11 AM EST. If Fox just accepts they won’t show any 1 PM football games that day, they can still broadcast the final. Hell if it’s an hour earlier, it would be done before NFL even starts.

Looks like it's 18:00 local time, so even earlier.

The other knockout round games are listed as 18:00 or 22:00 local time, so looks good for Europe and the U.S.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

reminds me of how cbs used to not have any late games week 1 due to the us open

i guess fox won't have any 1pm games the day of the final

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

already brought this up but

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1485106997368401921

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The NFL ratings had to be pretty good over the weekend considering all 4 games were close and all 4 ended on the final play of the game. That’ll likely never happen again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

how much do they care about football in kc

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/1485656535573221378

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell of a counter program by PBS lmao

E: John Ourand saying Buffalo's numbers will be out tomorrow, imagine those will be enormous as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did PBS have a particularly thrilling period costume drama on or something?

https://twitter.com/TVSportsUpdates/status/1485661033704292352

https://twitter.com/james_bisson/status/1485689060182171653

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2022

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I don’t know about this dramatization but the books they’re based on are absolutely fantastic

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don’t know about this dramatization but the books they’re based on are absolutely fantastic

If it's on PBS, I bet it's super wholesome. I went to visit my parents a few years back, and they got hooked on a similarly themed show set in a rural part of the UK, and I kept texting people all, "I am watching the gentlest TV show ever and it's such a nice change of pace."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

soggybagel posted:

This seems like a mistake, part of what is cool about the world cup is it's a sport on in the middle of summer and it's cool to stay up all night to watch the games.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rick posted:

This seems like a mistake, part of what is cool about the world cup is it's a sport on in the middle of summer and it's cool to stay up all night to watch the games.

I think you don't understand how big a bribe Qatar gave various FAs.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

And the books have a very dedicated fanbase.

I was named after one of the main protagonist veterinarians in the series

SPOILER EDIT: Part of that is because I was born six weeks early due to sudden appendicitis in my mother. I came out under three pounds, poisoned, and my lungs collapsed. My parents hadn't thought of a name yet and the Catholic priest at the Catholic hospital my parents were at told them to spend the next 20-30 minutes thinking of first/middle names for me so he could do an express-service baptism just in case I died. My mom, the kind of person who can easily read a novel a day, was reading the All Creatures Great and Small Series at the same.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 25, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

And the books have a very dedicated fanbase.

I was named after one of the main protagonist veterinarians in the series

I think I first read All Creatures Great and Small when I was in ... 6th grade? My mom highly recommended it.

I bounced off pretty hard, because I wasn't really into reading about Herriot delivering calves and whatnot. But then I went back to it in college and I fell completely in love. The old '80s BBC series is a stone-cold classic (though I haven't watched the PBS revival).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

And it’s also smack in the middle of the traditional club season calendar, when most teams and players will be otherwise busy, but without much scope to move those seasons early or late to compensate. Most of the players for major nations are at clubs which will be two-ish months into the 2022-23 season when they have to break up and go to Qatar for 3+ weeks as well.

It’s going to be rough product and might still be too hot as well. Gonna be real fun!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

And it’s also smack in the middle of the traditional club season calendar, when most teams and players will be otherwise busy, but without much scope to move those seasons early or late to compensate. Most of the players for major nations are at clubs which will be two-ish months into the 2022-23 season when they have to break up and go to Qatar for 3+ weeks as well.

It’s going to be rough product and might still be too hot as well. Gonna be real fun!
And not to mention a country with Qatar's population will SURELY be able to accommodate all of the people who are planning on visiting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njmDidQa6jk

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

No joke, Roadshow had a painting from 1995 on last night.

Since they're on Long Island the next few weeks, how much would a leathery but preserved Joe Namath be?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/trashtaeks/status/1485689278159941634

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

who said the nfl/linear tv was dead

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/1485991385887133700

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That game had to be like a 97 share in Buffalo

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1486070437964570631?s=21

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

What does this mean for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Henchman of Santa posted:

What does this mean for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?

Nothing, he gets traded for the Marvel theme park rights (which Comcast has)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This is a wild story https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1486739581856665603?s=21 (Long story short: Montana State’s WBB commentator said some very racist and, shall we say, Fox News comments about Portland when the Cats played Portland State, got fired, and then doubled down on his comments)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1486806604624367626

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Troy Queef posted:

This is a wild story https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1486739581856665603?s=21 (Long story short: Montana State’s WBB commentator said some very racist and, shall we say, Fox News comments about Portland when the Cats played Portland State, got fired, and then doubled down on his comments)

Obviously that dude is an rear end in a top hat and him losing his job is well earned but that’s not even the biggest thing I took from this article:

Why on earth does the Big Sky have a policy of requiring makeup games happen in order? That’s so stupid. All of the poo poo this team had to deal with seems completely pointless.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That jumped out at me too, that's bizarre.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Obviously that dude is an rear end in a top hat and him losing his job is well earned but that’s not even the biggest thing I took from this article:

Why on earth does the Big Sky have a policy of requiring makeup games happen in order? That’s so stupid. All of the poo poo this team had to deal with seems completely pointless.

It's extremely dumb, and I don't know how every AD in the conference didn't immediately push back.

The dude seems like he was setting himself up to ride the right wing grift train. He owns a restaurant too, maybe he thinks this will drum up business from all the aggrieved white people in Bozeman.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

It's extremely dumb, and I don't know how every AD in the conference didn't immediately push back.

The dude seems like he was setting himself up to ride the right wing grift train. He owns a restaurant too, maybe he thinks this will drum up business from all the aggrieved white people in Bozeman.

Let them fight. Preferably to the death.

My birth town is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and there is almost nothing that could even get me to go visit it at this point. Yellowstone supervolcano when? Just wipe it off the planet, it’s a loss.

This is so loving upsetting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Let them fight. Preferably to the death.

My birth town is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and there is almost nothing that could even get me to go visit it at this point. Yellowstone supervolcano when? Just wipe it off the planet, it’s a loss.

This is so loving upsetting.

I'm actually going to Bozeman on business in a couple months. I'll at least make sure to avoid that dude's restaurant.

Unrelated, this is really cool. Alphanso Davies was out for Canada's World Cup qualifying match at Honduras because of Covid, so he hopped on twitch and talked about the game as he was watching it

https://twitter.com/BenSteiner00/status/1486860428999286789
https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status/1486894572181639175

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yes, there is no interest

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1490118666825969664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m normally all about the Olympics and I barely remembered they started. The 2021 summer games also were way down from 2016. Not sure if this is a permanent shift, or just because COVID is taking a lot of the fun out of everything.