Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Everyone complains about price hikes and acts like they are going to reevaluate things but a year later y’all buying the same old poo poo.
very much not true, I significantly reduced the number of transformers I bought during the last price hike. 20 dollar deluxes is too far for me in like 95% of cases. I wait for them to go on clearance in basically every case now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Everyone complains about price hikes and acts like they are going to reevaluate things but a year later y’all buying the same old poo poo.

Eeehhh, I reevaluated my collecting with the last hike and I've been pretty consistent with my new direction. It's just too hard to justify the cost with what the majority of the Hasbro offerings are.

Nowadays it's mostly MOTU with the Super7 TMNT taking over for the NECA turtles (except the TMNTxUniversal Monsters line, I'm all in on those). Also the occasional Transformer if I really like the character.

That said, I fully admit that if Hasbro made more glow in the dark figures I'd be singing a different tune (and yes, I bought the whole wave of GITD Ghostbusters figs they just released.)

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 28, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When hot toys went apeshit with the pricing, I started getting more third party stuff. My only hot toys purchase in the last 2 years has been holographic iron man, and that was because I found him for 199 instead of the 330 sideshow wants to charge.

The price raising has quite literally almost pushed me out of collecting their stuff. No way in hell I'm spending 25 bucks a figure in marvel legends. I still remember when you could buy em brand new at retail with an entire bike included for 10-12 bucks. Still too expensive nowadays at 20 bucks a figure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The switch to MOTU certainly helped me cut back on other expensive stuff. But then, I'm the dip who spent $300 on figures that once sold for $20 so...

But I also dipped out of the bulk of expensive 3P Transformers and I don't remember the last time I bought a statue. And my mainline TF collecting is down to season 1-3+movie so I'm out on a ton of stuff.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I got back into figures a few years ago, when I randomly saw the Black Series Jedi Revan from KOTOR. It was in a sale so it was only $13. I couldn't believe how good it looked in person. It's honestly nicer than any Black Series figure I have picked up since then. (Why the heck don't they make HK-47?)

Then I started collecting figures that looked neat if they were $20 or less. When the Black Series and Marvel Legends prices jumped I only bought my absolute favorite characters, or waited for a sale. At the new price point I definitely won't pick anything up unless they shock me with an X-Statix line.

Then again I've spent more than a year trying to talk myself into splurging on Sam & Max or any of the Mafex/Figma that caught my eye. So my wallet is probably pinched shut tighter than most collectors'.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Practically it means $30-35 shipped, because I never see the toys on shelves that I want and $25 each means I can just skip the toy aisle when shopping now.
That Macy's TRU event was the first time I had seen any of those waves in person.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I got back into figures a few years ago, when I randomly saw the Black Series Jedi Revan from KOTOR. It was in a sale so it was only $13. I couldn't believe how good it looked in person. It's honestly nicer than any Black Series figure I have picked up since then. (Why the heck don't they make HK-47?)

Black Series is in an abysmal place these days with poor quality control and weird character/tooling choices.

I'm hoping for a change in direction or management soon.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I still need to clean up some lines/slop but this is basically finished. Jitsu has his steed!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Anybody have a good extra head sitting around for the Legends FF Invisible Woman figure? The one it came with is beyond atrocious and the only one I have sitting around that kinda does the job is the extra head that came with the Walgreens Emma Frost, which has blue lipstick, and the other head with a bob looks weird.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Louisgod posted:

Anybody have a good extra head sitting around for the Legends FF Invisible Woman figure? The one it came with is beyond atrocious and the only one I have sitting around that kinda does the job is the extra head that came with the Walgreens Emma Frost, which has blue lipstick, and the other head with a bob looks weird.

The lipstick matches her Fantastic 4 outfit!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Louisgod posted:

it's the invisible woman, just take the head off

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/thefullforce/status/1487106010267463681?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

I still need to clean up some lines/slop but this is basically finished. Jitsu has his steed!

Wow.

WOW.

This looks so good.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cloks posted:

it's the invisible woman, just take the head off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS8O-F0ICxw

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Then again I've spent more than a year trying to talk myself into splurging on Sam & Max or any of the Mafex/Figma that caught my eye. So my wallet is probably pinched shut tighter than most collectors'.

I'd love those Sam and Max figs but they are physically too small for me to justify the cost.

Joe Fisto posted:

That's so freaking cool. Amazing work!!!

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 28, 2022

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Y'know, I hate to speak blasphemy (again) but I like Baroness' design from the Snake Eyes movie (I haven't see) better.

Also rad work JF!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I’m digging the paint job as well, JF! Are you using model lacquer? I’m assuming the figure is ABS

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks guys!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I’m digging the paint job as well, JF! Are you using model lacquer? I’m assuming the figure is ABS

I’m using tamiya model paints

Rhyno posted:

Wow.

WOW.

This looks so good.

You know what? It’s yours. Message me and I’ll mail it out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You don't gotta do that man. That's way too generous!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

You don't gotta do that man. That's way too generous!

Nah it’s cool. I have another and it’s fun to paint.

I always loved MOTU, it along with Transformers and TMNT were my childhood. I'd had collections in the past but gotten rid of them over the years. Seeing cool MOTU posts here got me to buy my first Origins, and now I've got a kickass collection. I don't think I'd have jumped in otherwise.

So I wanna pay that forward and do something nice. I'm going to send you a horsey.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 28, 2022

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Oh snap, Pixel Dan got wave 4 of Thundercats already, so the rest of us probably aren't far behind then!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Joe Fisto posted:

So I wanna pay that forward and do something nice. I'm going to send you a horsey.

As true a Fisto as I ever knew.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Son of a bitch. Walmart just cancelled my pre orders for the gene stealers. WHY CAN'T I ORDER THESE loving THINGS? That's 2 sets of pre orders cancelled now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Louisgod posted:

God just give me a GOOD 6" Indiana Jones with that killer 3d face print tech and I'll be happy.

They already have a solid as hell Harrison Ford head sculpt from that era, so really all we need is a non-lovely body.

Re: price hike for Hasbro, it is 100% the licensing. Basically been confirmed by people in contact with insiders. The real question will be if they jack up the GI Joe prices, because there's zero licensing there and it's all inhouse... then again, for what they already are, GI Joes are an amazing value because you get SO drat MUCH and they're great figures, for the price. Still, if Hasbro jacks up their price along with the other lines, that;'s definitely fishy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

They already have a solid as hell Harrison Ford head sculpt from that era, so really all we need is a non-lovely body.

Re: price hike for Hasbro, it is 100% the licensing. Basically been confirmed by people in contact with insiders. The real question will be if they jack up the GI Joe prices, because there's zero licensing there and it's all inhouse... then again, for what they already are, GI Joes are an amazing value because you get SO drat MUCH and they're great figures, for the price. Still, if Hasbro jacks up their price along with the other lines, that;'s definitely fishy.

It's not just licensing.

Lightning Collection is getting the same rise in prices and that's 100% Hasbro.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The one toy company CEO I've heard discuss this candidly in interviews is Brian from Super 7, and he's said several times to expect continued increases in toy prices across the board due to increases in the costs of materials and production. Specifically, the cost of every type of plastic has skyrocketed in recent years, and the cost of manufacturing in China (the main hub for basically everything right now) has been steadily climbing as well.

This has everything to due with China becoming overall stronger economically and more "white collar" socially. The pandemic has had a big impact in terms of production bottlenecks that brought a lot of these issues to a head. The pent-up demand as factories slowly reopened meant they had a golden opportunity to raise prices for their services. Over the past few decades, China has gradually taken over manufacturing for most of the world by initially offering prices nobody could compete with, and now they're the only country with functional factories still standing and are in a position to name their price, and there's not much anybody can do about that.

Licensing is definitely part of the puzzle as well, but it's not going to be economically feasible for toy prices to stay the same, much less decrease any time soon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One way to bring them back down would be to open factories stateside, which has its own whole host of issues

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I would love for domestic manufacturing to be the solution to this problem, for a whole lot of reasons, but the more likely scenario is the global capitalist machine finds a new, suitably populous and economically depressed country to exploit for cheap labor so the cycle can begin anew; I think a lot of companies are looking at India.

From a geopolitical standpoint, toy collecting is unquestionably "part of the problem," but frankly it's not a big enough part of the problem for me to give up my Thundercats.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've already done that for ages now with clothes. Still a lot of it in China, but Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Vietnam and many others are cheaper.

Computer hard drives are mostly made in Thailand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
American manufacturing is a nightmare. My previous employer was getting buyout offers quarterly with the plan to move everything overseas.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

There are maybe 76 people that live in Wyoming. Plenty of room for factories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The biggest issue is that we'd be starting from scratch. Our manufacturing industries are so far behind the rest of the world, it's embarrassing.

I made medical wire on machines older than my father.

One of our overseas competitors has machines that run 5 times as fast as what I operated and were primarily computer controlled, everything I worked on was manually adjusted.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 29, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's about what Brian Flynn summed up.

The sheer amount of From Scratch start up would be extremely prohibitive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish I could show you guys just how archaic the production facility I worked in was. And we were considered an industry leader!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

There are maybe 76 people that live in Wyoming. Plenty of room for factories.

All mountains tho, so nowhere to actually put them

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

All mountains tho, so nowhere to actually put them

Get enough TNT, you'll have room.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I wish I could show you guys just how archaic the production facility I worked in was. And we were considered an industry leader!

I work for a raw material supplier and that end is a nightmare as well. You can't get the stuff to make the stuff to get the stuff.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

What we need to do is abolish OSHA and roll back all safety regulations. Then we allow child labor. Then we become a world leader in manufacturing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

What we need to do is abolish OSHA and roll back all safety regulations. Then we allow child labor. Then we become a world leader in manufacturing.

That's what the trucking industry is doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

There are maybe 76 people that live in Wyoming.

Side note: this is why me and my friend had a running joke that the show "Longmire" took place in a dystopian nightmare version of Wyoming where murder was the ONLY cause of death. There was at least one murder to solve per episode on that show, and just for fun we once looked up the actual murder stats in the entire state of Wyoming, and it was like... around 5 per year or something. I mean this is kind of an issue with any "small town murder mystery" series but Longmire was a particularly funny example. (Still a pretty entertaining show.)

We're two derails deep now, who else has one?